2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Golftec swing analysis what a ripoff

reteemcgee

So i booked a swing analysis due to wanting to punch my driver in the face (just my driver). I talked to the guy on the phone told him I was struggling with just my driver. He says that the "initial" lesson is videoing swing then he would give you some tips to work on. I was excited to do this because of all the technology they use I figured it would take a lot of the guess work out.

The appointment was an hour long even though he told me we would probably go for 1.5 hours and it was $125.00 which is not a bad deal for that technology and that long of a lesson.

The first part of the lesson I hit balls and he took video. about ten minutes in he brought me over and showed me my swing on camera. All my swings to that point he had me hit an 8 iron. He pointed out a couple things I did wrong even though I instantly spotted the main problem he never mentioned it.

He then gave me a couple pointers and i hit literally TWO golf balls. He then took a video of a practice swing doing the pointers. He then brought me back over for a before and after analysis. The after swing he used was a practice swing. Newsflash my practice swing looks like Tiger in his prime versus my actual swing so lookout. He told me look how much better your swing is since the little time I have worked with you just imagine what we could do if we did a long term plan. I thought to myself oh boy here we go.

And away we went indeed. We worked together for a total of 21 minutes the next hour and nine minutes were him trying to sell me some kind of lesson package that was around 3k. I was furious and I let him know it. First off you to take a practice swing and compare it to an actual swing is beyond stupid I don't know what suckers this works on but I am not one of them. I told him I literally came in to get a tip for driver and not once did he mention it or even let me hit despite me bringing it up several times. I will never ever go back there again place is a scam. Lesson learned.

TLDR: Golftec swing analysis is a 20 minute swing video and over an hour of a sales pitch trying to sell you thousands of dollars worth of lessons while not fixing anything in your first "lesson".

"The first part of the lesson I hit balls and he took video. about ten minutes in he brought me over and showed me my swing on camera. All my swings to that point he had me hit an 8 iron. He pointed out a couple things I did wrong even though I instantly spotted the main problem he never mentioned it."

Considering you felt you knew better than him while watching the video perhaps just recording your own swing would be a better route for you?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I don’t go to golftec but I did go twice back in like 2014 or so. Only went because it was nick Clearwater and heard he was good. It was actually a pretty good lesson comparing my swing to moves Daniel summerhays. He was teaching me stuff very similar to what Dana dahlquist taught and could tell he was good at teaching. Anyway, not all golftec instructors are like nick though

So you got a one hour lesson with video, showing you positions your golf swing could improve to, and was offered a package of lessons and unlimited practice sessions to help get you an overall better swing, all of which is advertised on their website and probably on the front desk as you walked in, and your pissed?

I don't like all the things golftec does or teaches, but the ability to go in an practice at any time and analyze everyone of your own swings on video instantly gives great feed back and helps you to improve.

Seems like your just a dick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So you got a one hour lesson with video, showing you positions your golf swing could improve to, and was offered a package of lessons and unlimited practice sessions to help get you an overall better swing, all of which is advertised on their website and probably on the front desk as you walked in, and your pissed?

I don't like all the things golftec does or teaches, but the ability to go in an practice at any time and analyze everyone of your own swings on video instantly gives great feed back and helps you to improve.

Seems like your just a dick.

Ok I am told over the phone that for 125 I get a video analysis and a 1 hour lesson and I go in and get roughly 20 minutes of work and an hour sales pitch and I’m pissed about that and that makes me a dick? Could you explain how that makes me a dick?

Perhaps the instructor was pointing out the causes of your EE.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

FYI there are pretty good coaches like Mike Newton who you can video your swing and send it to. For like $30, he will look at your swing (any club you want), give you a detailed analysis, then pointers, drills to work on, etc. He even offered me to send him a 2nd video in a few months and he'd look at it and offer up tips for free.

Wish you had posted about going there before you went, I'm guessing about 9/10 people would have told you to save your money.

I'm sure there are good coaches, but I've posted my experience with golf tec before. Had a swing analysis and a five lesson package (which I got from a friend). The farthest we got in the 6 sessions was halfway back in my backswing. Wanted me to buy another 10 sessions to even think about downswing. I was much worse after the "lessons", and have taken lessons from others (not at golf tec) and none of them have spent more than a few minutes on my backswing.

Had a GolfTec analysis once and all the guy kept telling me to do was restrict my hip turn on the backswing and maximize my x factor. Total waste of time, and the guy obviously hadn't the slightest clue about how to teach golf or how to swing properly. Luckily, I didn't pay for it otherwise I would have felt like I got taken for my $.

Personally, I don't think many bigger retail golf shops can pay a lot so not many experienced instructors do not go to teach there even with all the technology they have. Most of the experienced instructors work independently with golf courses because they can make more per lesson and call their own schedule. Also from my experience going into golf shops, there are very few employees that have a lot of golf experience unless they are smaller independent shops. Generally, more experienced golfers don't want to work at retail golf shops because they don't get playing privileges. Of course there are exceptions but I haven't seem many.

TLDR: Golftec swing analysis is a 20 minute swing video and over an hour of a sales pitch trying to sell you thousands of dollars worth of lessons while not fixing anything in your first "lesson".

This is what they do....have a $125 intro lesson...as advertised too...to get you to sign up for a series of lessons....but it cost you to learn this.

I dropped into my local Golftec....ended speaking to a VP who had an office there...gave me a short tour and he told me Golftec's main objective is to sell golf packages and not one-off lessons.

Golftec is just simply a business trying to maximize their profits.

Last summer I chatted with a guy at the range.....I then offered him some tips over 15 minutes and he said he started to hit the ball better....although he was taking lessons for thousands of $'s in a Golftec package.....lol.

Personally, I don't think many bigger retail golf shops can pay a lot so not many experienced instructors go to teach there even with all the technology they have. Most of the experienced instructors work independently with golf courses. Also from my experience going into golf shops, there are very few employees that have a lot of golf experience unless they are smaller independent shops. Generally, more experienced golfers don't want to work at retail golf shops because they don't get playing privileges. Of course there are exceptions but I haven't seem many.

Golftec isn’t a retail golf shop. And they actually pay more than most teachers would make on their own. They aren’t hiring guys without golf experience, they are golf pros.

Golftec’s issue is due to the volume of lessons and the large number of teachers they must have, there simply aren’t enough really good teachers to fill those roles. And many really good teachers can make as much or more money working for themselves. There’s a lot of knowledgeable and very good teachers that work for Golftec. There also a lot who aren’t. Like any big business.

I took a few lessons with them about 5 years ago. The entire process seemed like a racket to get you to spend money. The business model is to get you locked into a series of lessons that rebuild your swing one step at a time. They also like to sell you training aids along the way.....it's a business model that some people are comfortable with but it wasn't for me.

I do know someone that has shown big improvement working with them, but it takes commitment, money and the right instructor to make that happen.

So like anything, buyer beware.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I've done two lesson packages at golftec in my area, and apparently my experience has been very different. I have been absolutely thrilled with my progress since starting with them. My coach hasn't tried to rebuild my swing but has made changes in areas I needed it most which has improved my consistency, ability to work the ball more confidently, and definitely my short game. I do agree that they don't specifically bring out the driver very often but with my coach I've brought it up to him and we have spent a couple of sessions on it when I was struggling all of a sudden.

I did a series of lessons in 2016 with an instructor referred to me by Nick Clearwater, who I trust. The guy was very good and I made improvements. One of the biggest benefits to their "lesson package" is that you can schedule unlimited practice sessions using their hitting bays and technology. This was as helpful as anything when it came to working on changes and seeing results, particularly in the colder months or during the week after work. The lessons were then all about tracking progress towards the changes. What I learned is that if you don't put in the work between lessons, there really isn't a need for another lesson.

It's like going to see a Chiropractor.........there are some really good ones out there and some not so good ones. Do your own homework and find a good one in your area and you will see improvement.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

I don't know much about the swing I know that when I see massive early extension and the instructor doesn't mention it that seems like a big problem.

Half the guys and gals on this forum could have spotted early extension, too. Very few of them could tell you what's happening in your swing to cause it.

I’m not a huge fan of GolfTEC as a whole, but I’d actually defend them here. It’s kind of your own fault as you should have done some homework before hand. They don’t do “quick driver tips” which is what you were looking for. I’d be surprised if they didn’t explain this to you before hand, and if not then I could understand your frustration, but it’s oretty well known they aren’t in the one off lesson business.

This thread makes me curious as to how common it is for people to start lessons without utilizing referrals or a previously identified solid reputation through reviews of some sort.

I mean no offense to the OP, but I’m surprised that anyone would randomly take lessons from an “instructor”....inside a big box store no less.... that they know absolutely nothing about. I guess this must happen a lot or they wouldn’t be in business, but I do find it quite strange.

I won’t go to a new doctor without a reference or a well established reputation. I won’t take my car for service at a new place without a reference or spectacular on line reviews.. There are a lot of hacks out there. You should investigate a bit before tossing away good money.

And speaking of money, Wow!, I had no idea those Golftec lessons were so expensive. Yikes.