Titleist Tour Soft

Comments

• lazyjc4lazyjc4 Members Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Guessing these are the Test balls I received last fall. Looked, felt, played a lot like a NXT Tour.
    Srixon Z565 8.5 Attas Elements Prototype
    Taylormade '17 M1 HL 15.5° Motore Speeder
    Taylormade SLDR HL 19.5* Kai'li
    Hogan PTx 21*, 25*,29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45* S300
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 58* S200
    Bettinardi B55 or Odyssey Tank 7 Counterbalanced (Both 38")
    Titleist AVX or Srixon Z-Star
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,199 ✭✭
    So what is the difference between the Tour Soft and the DT TruSoft? They both have green cores, and they both have surlyn covers.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,768 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

So what is the difference between the Tour Soft and the DT TruSoft?

About $10 a dozen?
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • NYDaveNYDave Members Posts: 211 ✭✭
    I got the test balls for these in November, it seemed like am NXT when I tried it, in the 2 rounds o played with it, I couldn't tell the difference between it, and the current NXT ball... if they sell for the same price I'll pass on them, plays more like a 20-25 $ ball to me....
    Driver-Cobra F9 Atmos Blue 6
    3-Fairway Cobra Biocell
    5-Fairway-Cobra Biocell
    4-Hybrid Ping G400
    Irons- Maltby STI 5-PW Mamiya recoil es
    Wedges Cleveland 588 RTX 52/56/60
    Putter- Odyssey 2 ball
    Ball-Volvik vivid XT Green
    When does the Tour Firm come out?
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,768 ✭✭
    edited Jan 24, 2018 #37
    gvogel wrote:

When does the Tour Firm come out?

Wouldn't it be the "Tour Soft X" or "Tour Soft Firm"? Pretty sure any successful golf ball has to have "Soft" in the name nowadays. It's the damndest thing.

I remember back in the day thinking I was pretty funny going into Wendy's and ordering a "medium Biggie drink".
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

gvogel wrote:

So what is the difference between the Tour Soft and the DT TruSoft?

About $10 a dozen?

$34.99 - $21.99 = $13

😉

Driver: Ping Rhapsody 16*
    FW: Ping G400 SFT 5w
    Hybrids: Exotics XRail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne H

• AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭
    If the Tour Soft replaces the NXT line, does that mean the NXT tour is replaced by the Tour Soft and there will a "Tour Distance" ball? Or will it be just one ball? I watch Mark Crossfield's review of the DT TruSoft vs the Pro V1 and they were very close in every test except chipping. He was surprised. Curious to see a test of the Tour Soft.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • crazygolfnutcrazygolfnut CrazyGolfNut Members Posts: 1,161 ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see spin rates.
    • Driver: ________ Ping G400 Max
    • Woods: _______ Ping G410 3 & 5 woods
    • Hybrids: ______ Titleist 818H1 21* & 25*
    • Irons: _________ Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
    • Wedges: ______ Titleist Vokey SM6 52.08F & 56.08M
    • Putter: ________ Rife Mid Mallet 400
    • Ball: ___________ Snell MTB Red Yellow
    • Bag: ___________ Datrek Lite Rider
    • GPS: ___________ Bushnell NEO Ghost
    • Rangefinder: __ Precision Pro NX7
    • GHIN: _________ HCP floats between 10 and 12

“Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips”
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,752 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:

If the Tour Soft replaces the NXT line, does that mean the NXT tour is replaced by the Tour Soft and there will a "Tour Distance" ball? Or will it be just one ball? I watch Mark Crossfield's review of the DT TruSoft vs the Pro V1 and they were very close in every test except chipping. He was surprised. Curious to see a test of the Tour Soft.

Now on the Titleist site following the PGA show announcement. Tour Soft replaces both balls in the NXT line at the same price point.
  • huskerguy18huskerguy18 Members Posts: 249
    They're claiming that this ball will perform better than the TP5 and Chrome Soft and will have a cover comparable to that of urethane balls despite not appearing to have a urethane cover itself
  • mjfornmjforn Members Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited Jan 25, 2018 #43
    Man I got 4 doz NXTs on the shelf in the garage..........

Why do these guys keep changing the names? Why cant they just label the balls like they do the clubs, NXT18 image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Matt

Callaway GBB Epic 9*

Callaway Rogue Graphite R-Flex 4-AW

Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:
    K 3s
    Titleist Tour Soft
    Titliest NXT s
    K Sigs (in the shag bag)

• hwturner17hwturner17 Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    I really hope they heavily discount the current NXT line. I would load up

If the price is right. Solid ball for being non-urethane
    Driver: M5
    FW: Ping Anser 4 wood
    Irons: Mizuno MP-18 Combo X-100
    Wedges: 50/54/58 Callaway Mack Daddy Forged
    Putter: Odyssey #7

Ball: Many
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,076 ✭✭
    Their marketing will need to put in an extra shift or two to convince savvy players that this is a higher grade product than the Velocity and TruSoft....
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ✭✭
    mjforn wrote:

Why do these guys keep changing the names? Why cant they just label the balls like they do the clubs, NXT18 image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />

Because once a product gets a bad reputation it's best to just start new. Or in this case it could be they're making a significant change to the ball so even though it's in the same price range as the NXT, it's not appropriate to use the same name.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,191 ClubWRX
    Nxt tour is 3 piece. This new ball only 2 piece. Don't think it is a replacement.
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,752 ✭✭
    edited Jan 25, 2018 #48
    bogeypro wrote:

Nxt tour is 3 piece. This new ball only 2 piece. Don't think it is a replacement.

The NXT Tour S was a 2-piece. This new single model looks to be replacing both at the same price point (also the NXTs were removed from their website the same time the Tous Soft was added).
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,178 ✭✭
    edited Jan 25, 2018 #49
    storm319 wrote:

bogeypro wrote:

The NXT Tour S was a 2-piece. This new single model looks to be replacing both at the same price point (also the NXTs were removed from their website the same time the Tous Soft was added).

I thought this was a Tour Soft thread, not NXT.

Here's the Tour Softs (white and yellow) and Velocity's in orange and pink too.

https://www.golfgala...1&mcid=27722974
  • tipperitipperi ClubWRX Posts: 71 ClubWRX
    I used to play the NXT Tour S but can't say I'm disappointed to see it replaced. Chrome Soft took over for me and even though I'm the type who's always trying something new I always found my way back to Chrome Soft because it gave me the feel I wanted without sacrificing distance or short game control. It looks like that's the market Titleist is chasing with Tour Soft. I'll give them a shot, but cant say I'm not a little bummed that it wont be at the NXT price point and I will be a bit skeptical that a 2 piece ball without a Urathane cover can hold its own to a Chrome Soft at the same price.
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited Jan 27, 2018 #51
    Personally, I’m looking forward to giving these a try. I’ve played many generations of the NXT Tour, and I’ve played a lot of other balls. For some reason I keep coming back to this ball, even though it’s over priced for a two piece ball without a urethane cover. The ball seems to work for me. I’m hoping the new TOUR SOFT does well for me too.

I want to share some thoughts for others out there to consider because in my opinion we need to play what works. Many times I’ve stopped playing this series of ball because the words of others on these forums, to a certain degree, make a lot of sense. “Why pay $35 for a two piece non-urethane ball? In principle, it’s absolutely true if you consider the ball’s specs. But I keep coming back to it because it works for me.

It reminds me of iPhones. If you look at the specs, they are inferior to Samsung Galaxy phones. Samsung has better screens, better cameras, more RAM, faster processors and LOWER PRICE. And I get lured to Samsung from time to time because of VALUE (specs and price). However, a couple of years ago I went back to iPhone and have stuck with it. Why? It works. And because it’s APPLE. There is something about Brand equity and Brand perception.

Same with Titleist. Why do they sell more balls than others? Because their brand portrays excellence. Now before you all attack me, I’m not saying this is the reason we should buy Titleist. I’m simply saying that psychology plays a big role here. Maybe not for all of you. But for a lot it certainly does. It’s like my wife having 17 Louis Vuitton purses. Are they better technically? It’s questionable. But when she walks around people say wow, nice purse. What about Starbucks coffee? It’s over priced but they sell like crazy. People LOVE Starbucks. And so do I. I much rather walk into the office with a cup of Starbucks in my hand rather than good tasting, low priced coffee from the gas station. LOL.

So back to the topic...is this product over priced. **** yeah. If you follow the specs this ball should not perform at all. But the NXT Tour did perform well for me. More than plenty of spin, long distance, soft feel (but not too soft) and great trajectory. And when you look at tests out there, spin is only about 3% less than pro v1. When people I play with ask “what ball are you playing?” I answer Titleist. I actually get satisfaction out of it.

I’m really looking forward to trying out this ball. Call me a sucker for their marketing. Call me an idiot for spending too much. But ultimately, it’s about the ball working for me and the confidence and satisfaction of having a premium brand (based on perception). So my advice to others out there. Try out lots of ballls. There are plenty to choose from and stick to the one that works for you.

At the end of the day, golf is about personal enjoyment. If you’re happy, go for it. LOL
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • lenman73lenman73 Members Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Just saw these on the shelf at dicks sporting goods. I kept on walking. The velocity didn't work for me and I didn't like the price of nxts so not sure if I will try these or not.
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,104 ✭✭
    I ordered a doz tour sifts yesterday they Amazon. Will get here tomorrow. I will compare them putting side by side with the Tru softs. I’m not a pro v fan at all and I like a softer non-clicky ball.
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • spartanglfrspartanglfr Members Posts: 370 ✭✭
    I'm definitely going to try the Tour Soft.......when I find one on the golf course. I'm all for folks paying whatever they want to for golf balls, but this would have to be one magical 2 piece, non-urethane ball for me to pay $35/dozen.
  • Pcola KenPcola Ken Members Posts: 143
    I always thought the NXT line was pretty solid. I had success with the NXT Tour even though it felt hard as a rock to me.

It makes sense to combine both NXT balls into one Tour Soft offering. Titleist always makes a good ball, but I would play the Q Star for $25/doz in this range.
  • jschwarbjschwarb Members Posts: 737 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:

mjforn wrote:

Because once a product gets a bad reputation it's best to just start new. Or in this case it could be they're making a significant change to the ball so even though it's in the same price range as the NXT, it's not appropriate to use the same name.

I think the name is a big part. "Tour" and "Soft" covers all the bases. I think to a lot of casual players "NXT" was more of a code for "I don't want to pay for Pro V1s" and depending on your crowd, you'd catch some flak. That was the case in our group, one guy played NXT for the price and because he said he wasn't good enough to play Pro Vs. Ridiculous, we said, plus if you do the annual 3-plus-1 deal in the spring, you're pretty much back to the NXT price point anyway.
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    Come on Titleist - are you joking with that commercial? More spin than the B330S and TP5? Reeks of desperation for people to overspend.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,714 ✭✭

Not everyone shops at Rock Bottom Golf and not everyone buys balls two dozen at a time in an "Ammo Box". Titleist is extremely popular among retail buyers at golf course pro shops. Also, some people don't give a **** about the difference between twenty bucks and forty bucks for a box of golf balls.

I really don't get the packaging thing. I would buy balls that come loose in plastic shopping bags if they were cheaper. The ball doesn't know any difference.
  • pt73pt73 Members Posts: 601 ✭✭
    I got a two pack to test and was pleasantly surprised.

Good distance off the driver and irons, nice soft feel off the putter and excellent spin.

I've been playing the ChromeSoft for over 6 months so I was used to a soft feel ball.

Come on Titleist - are you joking with that commercial? More spin than the B330S and TP5? Reeks of desperation for people to overspend.

That is a huge claim to make that could blow up in their face.
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,016 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

That is a huge claim to make that could blow up in their face.

Might want to actually watch the commercial since they don't make that claim.