Minnesota private course reciprocity

pmccallum86

Does anyone know which MN private courses have reciprocity with each other? I am looking to join one in the near future and this is something worth considering.

I know Minneapolis and Oak Ridge have unlimited reciprocity. I think Minneapolis used to have it with Windsong as well, although not sure if they still do.

I have also heard Minnesota Valley and Hazeltine have a certain amount of reciprocity as MVCC welcomes the Hazeltine members when their course is shut down for tournaments and renovations. Curious if anyone knows more...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct on Minneapolis and Oak Ridge. Members of one just pay a cart fee at the other. MGC doesn't have anything standing with Windsong. Windsong was going to be the second course for MGC, but it became an independent club.

There was a time when Bracketts, Southview and Dellwood all had reciprocity with each other. Don't know if that is still the case.

When clubs host tournaments - even just a state event - other clubs in town are very good about providing access to the host club. Pretty much everybody will give a couple of times a day to the host club. My club hosted the state am and the state 4-ball in a couple of year stretch and I got on Somerset, Minneapolis, North Oaks and Golden Valley. It was great.

The clubs that play in the Twin Cities Senior League have a very clear rule that every Thursday during the season, all of the clubs have to provide two times to the club that is hosting that week. As someone who isn't a senior, I want my club to host one of the weeks every year as it is a great chance to play somewhere else. I played Olympic Hills that way two years ago.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

At Olympic Hills we do not have reciprocity with any other clubs, but being a member at a private club (if you are normal and people like you) miraculously opens you up to all kinds of invitations to play other private clubs and allows you to reciprocate by inviting people to your private club.

Hazeltine, just like Olympic Hills, had reciprocity with a number of clubs for its members while it was closed for renovations, and returned the favor to those clubs when it re-opened. But as far as I know, those arrangements are over now.

The better question is, what are you hoping the answer is? Is it that you want to play a different course every week or are you worried about tee times and the ability to play when you want?

There are 100 things I would on my priority list for joining a club before reciprocity was considered.

Thanks for the replies, very good info.

I'm leaning towards Minnesota Valley, because I love Seth Raynor and the renovation they are doing looks great.

Geographically I'm nearest to Minneapolis and Oak Ridge, so that makes a lot of sense. However, I think they both have a large memebership, meaning it could be more difficult to just walk on.

I've considered Olympic, also close, but the course looks a little too difficult to be one I'd play all the time.

Golden Valley just dropped their iniation to $5k, and that is very tempting... Their course is great and is one I could play a million times.

Back on topic; reciprocity with Northland in Duluth would be awesome. It would be great to have reciprocity at a great club in a place you go on vacation once or twice a year.

pmccallum,

I'd stay far away from Golden Valley. Yes they have dropped their initiation fee, but the place has major, major issues. Lots of debt and lots and lots of jerks (my initial description was censored). It isn't a coincidence that the GM bailed for a job with ClubCorp leading Medina.

I was a member there and resigned during all of the nonsense. Lots of people showed their true colors through all of this and I have zero interest in being associated with those people.

I'm also a free agent now and am going to join somewhere. Haven't decided where, but there are options.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

TPC Network is a pretty nice benefit of joining TPC, Twin Cities. We also get pretty wide reciprocity during the 3M (courses vary year to year). TPC Passport is another program that we have and Northland in Duluth is part of that.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Rebby- What is the TPC Passport? I can't see anything on the linked page, it appears you must be a member to see the details.

Yeah, the website is terrible, even on the member side. Essentially it's a reciprocity program for TPC members. The network is pretty expansive (world wide) and courses vary between full reciprocity and reduced rates. Many courses will require a reduced cart fee and/or specific tee times but it's a pretty solid program. The majority of courses even offer free "premium club rentals" (usually something from Titleist, latest driver/woods & AP2s). IIRC, Northland is one of the "platinum courses" (pretty open for scheduling, minimal cart fee).

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

It's not too hard to get onto another private course if you're a member somewhere. You generally only need your pro to call the club you'd like to play to set it up.

Spring Hill, Hazeltine, Somerset and Interlachen are the only ones I can think of that kind of have an attitude about it.

Getting onto Northland is easy, they are struggling ( unfortunately they were bought by one of the corporate companies ) but its pretty easy to get on, they like money.

I am a member at Windsong. Rebby and I play regularly between our clubs, always looking for more people to join the party. Country club costs are nothing even close to what they used to be. Windsong, TPC and White Bear Yacht Club offer some of the best golf and values out there if you're still looking.

Golden Valley almost sold to a corporate company but they voted against it luckily. Great course, can't comment on the people / atmosphere though. You are going to get that at every club, just to varying degrees, so make sure to investigate thoroughly!

For you free agents and/or those living in the south metro, I received an email recently from Willingers regarding their 2018 memberships.

Single, if paid in full by 3/15, you get unlimited golf, range, cart, and two guest passes for $2,300 + tax ($2,500+ tax if after 3/15).

Single and under 35 it's $1,700 + tax, $1,900 + tax if after 3/15.

And take another $300 off if you select the Walking membership.

Pretty good deals in my opinion for a high quality course.

• 1 month later...

I was a member at MGC for 2 seasons and moved on to another club. Great course and having Oak Ridge is a really nice perk. MGC members never use it (except last yr when MGC greens were destroyed) and Oak Ridge is empty - their members dont play a lot of golf. I had a few issues with MGC though

- I have a young family. Its not really a family club, its a pure golf club. You also have members from all over the metro, so no real connection to a specific town/school/area. In 2 years there we really didnt connect with a single other family, and believe me we tried. Odd membership. We connected with more families at the Oak Ridge pool.

- The membership is full and full with incredibly enthusiastic golfers. Great you might say. Its not great when you can barely get on as a single with a 5some on a weekend morning. Weekend tee sheet is a mad scramble the second it opens up. This is highly annoying.

If youre a young single golfer looking for a high quality starter club, I would definitely consider it. If you have a family and looking for a longer run type place, you need to do a ton of research.

I'm leaning towards Minnesota Valley, because I love Seth Raynor and the renovation they are doing looks great.

Geographically I'm nearest to Minneapolis and Oak Ridge, so that makes a lot of sense. However, I think they both have a large memebership, meaning it could be more difficult to just walk on.

I've considered Olympic, also close, but the course looks a little too difficult to be one I'd play all the time.

Golden Valley just dropped their iniation to $5k, and that is very tempting... Their course is great and is one I could play a million times.

Back on topic; reciprocity with Northland in Duluth would be awesome. It would be great to have reciprocity at a great club in a place you go on vacation once or twice a year.

To the OP - curious if you ended up joining Minnesota Valley? How did the numbers look and how did they compare to other options you explored?

• 4 weeks later...

For those in the Twin Cities, Northland has a special going for residents 100 miles away. $1,500. That's total. No other fees, unlimited golf. No initiation.

Question: What are some of the best value, lowest cost options in the metro right now?

Per their 2018 New Member Fees list on the website the National membership is $1,500 (as you stated) plus a $500 one time initiation fee. Is that waived if you call or was that added in April?

To the OP - curious if you ended up joining Minnesota Valley? How did the numbers look and how did they compare to other options you explored?

I haven't joined anywhere yet, a good golfing buddy of mine is also looking and it would be ideal if we both ended up at the same place. I am in a bit of a holding pattern though until his situation becomes more clear.

MN Valley was a little less than other comparable clubs in the metro, which makes sense given the location. I think they only had 8 spots available until their membership was full, which would seem to indicate they are financially healthy (which is important).