Brands You Won't Play

Comments

• 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 572 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

1Mordrid1 wrote:

I had a poor CS experience with Taylormade with my M1 440, so at least for a while Taylormade is on my will not buy or consider list. If I did not struggle with 3 wood so horribly, the R15 would get replaced as well.

Was it a warranty replacement issue? My buddy is 3 weeks out from sending his in to get it replaced. Sucks to be without your driver that long in the middle of the season. At this point, he plans on trading it in as soon as it comes back. Vows to not play another TM club.

Ordered mine directly from TM with amd upgraded shaft. Played golf the day after I got it. On the second tee shot the shaft snapped at the adapter. Long story short Taylormade refused to make it right after having the club for about 3 weeks. They finally sent back the head 2 weeks later without the broken shaft that could have been cut down for a 3 wood. So I wemt around and around with them about that and once again got nowhere except they offered me $25 off if I wanted to purchase a new driver or 3 wood from them.
    WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,536 ✭✭
    I don't have any need for anything Titleist, and Scottys top the list.
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    1Mordrid1 wrote:

radiman wrote:

1Mordrid1 wrote:

I had a poor CS experience with Taylormade with my M1 440, so at least for a while Taylormade is on my will not buy or consider list. If I did not struggle with 3 wood so horribly, the R15 would get replaced as well.

Was it a warranty replacement issue? My buddy is 3 weeks out from sending his in to get it replaced. Sucks to be without your driver that long in the middle of the season. At this point, he plans on trading it in as soon as it comes back. Vows to not play another TM club.

Ordered mine directly from TM with amd upgraded shaft. Played golf the day after I got it. On the second tee shot the shaft snapped at the adapter. Long story short Taylormade refused to make it right after having the club for about 3 weeks. They finally sent back the head 2 weeks later without the broken shaft that could have been cut down for a 3 wood. So I wemt around and around with them about that and once again got nowhere except they offered me $25 off if I wanted to purchase a new driver or 3 wood from them.

Wow, that's awful!
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Posts: 1,036 ✭✭
    It's not that I wouldn't play them, I just won't pay for them - PXG. This argument has been beaten to death but I'm very firmly in the camp that believes the price is just absurd for something that's either marginally better, marginally worse or the same as what I'm playing now.
    915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
    Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º C-Taper
    Mizzy S18 60-06º Blue Ion
    Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • GoldhawkGoldhawk Members Posts: 40
    1Mordrid1 wrote:

radiman wrote:

1Mordrid1 wrote:

Wow, thats really bad...

I broke a Ping shaft and an independent shop told me to call Ping directly and that they would replace it.

Got in touch with them no problem, first call, not put on hold for more then 2 min. Unfortunately they told me they only warranty clubs up to 4 yrs, and mine was about 5. Which I cant fault them at all for, totally understand.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,634 ✭✭
    1Mordrid1 wrote:

radiman wrote:

1Mordrid1 wrote:

How in the world could they not possibly cover that? They must claimed it was from misuse? That story makes me not want to buy a TM club and I've never had to deal with their customer service. That's just terrible.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • BottleCap wrote:

TaylorMade because they harassed a WRXer for posting a pic of an M4

Really???
    Callaway Rogue SZ
    Callaway Rogue 3&5
    Apex Pro 4-PW PX LZ
    Callaway MD4 50/54/58
    Ping Anser 2
    Chrome Soft
  • aknowaknow Members Posts: 96
    I've never swung a club I wouldn't use, except for 5 foot long putters. To the people criticizing Ping, try one swing with a G400 driver. Compared to the clubs we had in the 1960's, I don't see anything much to complain about, yet people will.
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 572 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #340
    radiman wrote:

1Mordrid1 wrote:

radiman wrote:

1Mordrid1 wrote:

How in the world could they not possibly cover that? They must claimed it was from misuse? That story makes me not want to buy a TM club and I've never had to deal with their customer service. That's just terrible.
    The final e-mail I got said because they could not determine if the break was due to manufacturer defect or missuse that they could not cover it.

Not sure how true this is, but when I got fit for my Rogue at GG, the fitter said that if it had not been an upgraded shaft that Taylormade probably would have replaced it. And that it probably broke because it was installed incorrectly by TM.
    WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #341
    Cobra, Taylor Made. Stopped playing Wilson after my last set of forged tour blades and persimmons.

Actually, the only clubs I have played for the last 15 years or so are Titleist and Ping, with Ping being the dominant choice by a large margin.

Edit: Forgot to list Callaway as a brand I won't play. So include any others that I didn't mention as well. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    PXG. Because I can't afford them.
  • warrio17warrio17 Posts: 369 ✭✭

CRAZY Shafts - maybe I'm mad because I burned myself buying one of these, but what a friggin ripoff. $600 to make your driver look like its wearing an Affliction t-shirt.

Titleist - Since I started playing 20 years ago, I've always viewed this as a snobby brand. Their products have never wowed me either. I'm definitely happy finding a ProV1 on the course, but wouldn't spend $50 on a dozen of them. So happy to see companies like Vice and Snell challenging this brand.

Mizuno - I'm a lefty.

TM and Callaway - Too many model releases, too many empty promises. Both have the odd diamond in the rough (VSteel, XForged, etc.), but most of the stuff is average.

What does this leave you playing?? Old Ping Eye 2s Maybe you're a COBRA loyalist
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 9* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 7X[/font]
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 8X[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Preferred UDI 2 Iron 18* UST Mamiya Prototype Utility 110F5[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] RescueDual TP 2 Hybrid 18* True Temper Project X HB6 (interchanges with the UDI)[/font]
    iDRdfVu.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]JPX 900 Forged 4-GW 1* weak KBS C-Taper X 130g[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 54* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 58* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Circle T 009M Chromatic Bronze Flojet Neck 35" A041795 (Gamer)[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Newport Slant Neck Crown "O"[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Futura X5 Chromatic Bronze Slant Neck Custom [/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Chromatic Blue 1995 1st Run Coronado[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]i[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nstagram: @westongarner[/font]
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I will add Wilson to this list but the V6 irons look and feel awesome. Not so sure about the woods or wedges
    WITB:
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Ping Tour 75 S
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tensei CK Blue 80 HY or Taylormade P790 UDI, HZRDUS Black 6.0
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130 x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D (bent to 51, 55)
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,300 ✭✭
    Generally, cobra and Callaway woods, a lot of Ping stuff until recently since they’ve upped their aesthetics....
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭
    Cant really say I wouldnt play anything other than maybe some dept store brands.

There are certainly clubs I wouldnt pay for (PXG) but I would play them if you gave them to me.

My bag is quite the mixed set.
    SLDR 460 8.5° - Rogue 60x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo! Members Posts: 640 ✭✭
    i used to say mizuno but now i play their wedges lol. so im going to have to go w/ miura - because of deninny :-)

(just kidding, well, maybe)

Ping Rapture 12.5
    TEE CB4 Tour 16.5
    Ping G 19/22
    Ping i E1 5-U
    Ping Glide ES 54.5/60
    Ping iN Half Wack-e

• dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Posts: 372 ✭✭
    I'll play anything as long as it plays well, looks good and feels right. I've got a full, broad mix of old to somewhat new, across 7 different brands right now. Some brands are big names (TM, Mizuno, Cleveland) some are generic (e.g. my sand wedge is some unbranded thing) and some are semi-known components (e.g. an old Dynacraft hybrid).

About the only thing I'm particularly loyal to, brandwise, are Lamkin Crossline grips. I've used these exclusively for as long as I can remember. I'm sure I would be happy playing with a multitude of any other grips, too, but these things feel good and last, seemingly, forever.
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    TM. Well i do have a rbz 3 wood (only bc i picked it up for $40 NIP) that is just a cannon but once that thing dies/quits behaving its the end of anything TM that will be in my bag. TP5 is a good ball but not in my bag. if i find one on course i give it to someone or leave it in the middle of fairway for next group to find.
  • ArpeggiArpeggi Members Posts: 3,686
    I used to say Callaway but I’m now using the Rogue Sub Zero
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
    Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
    Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron 009[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Taylormade TP5x[/font]
  • strug'-a-lingstrug'-a-ling Posts: 155 ✭✭
    Adams, Burke, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Dunlop, Epon First Flight, Henry-Griffitts, Hogan, Jerry Barber, Kenneth-Smith, Lynx , MacGregor, Miura, Mizuno, Nike, Northwestern, Orlimar, PGA/Tommy Armour, Ping, PowerBilt, PRGR, Ram, Spalding, TaylorMade, Tiger Shark, Titleist, Wishon, Wilson, Wright & Ditson, and a few others.

I'm not playing with any of them--until tomorrow.
  • MukkyMukky Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Tyler1putt wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

For some reason Nike balls spun more than any other ball I've tried to play.

All Nike balls after the One platinum were absolutely dreadful

Lol, right......
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,441 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

I'll play anything that works and is affordable

This is the most reasonable answer to any question on what brand should be played. So this cannot be the correct answer on this forum. That it all.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,441 ✭✭

, Mizuno wasn’t as friendly to lefties as it is now, Nike didn’t like the look. Yonex wasn’t easy to find in our parts. Other than that I’ve played about every brand that you can buy easily.

I would of added titleist at one time but I’ve had a change of heart since trying the 913D3 and the AP1s 716 and 718. Now it’s my first thought on club selection.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
    Ping because all of their equipment looks like dog sh*t and their fanboys are more annoying than even the PXG guys
    hrmgolf72 wrote:

golf1836 wrote:

I would not buy taylormade new because they are a bad investment. they come out with a new driver every six months then your club is half price

couldnt agree more, and the products arent fantastic,the irons are a clubs strong so they trick people into thinking they hit a 7 iron 10 yards longer,when in reality its a 6 iron

Their woods are fantastic. Just look at all the players on tour playing them without a contract. And every brand does the whole jacked loft thing on SGI irons
  • bopper53bopper53 Posts: 573 ✭✭
    edited Jul 11, 2018 #357
    Easy TaylorMade, they cheapen their brand with a new club every 6 months.

Titleist a close second because they never get their special order irons right with the requested specs.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5, XTorsion 65
    Epic 15 degree, Rouge MAX 75
    Cally Hybrid 19
    Rouge 5-AW, Recoil 75 F4
    Ping Tyne 4 Putter
    McDaddy Wedges, 56 / 58 DG S200 Wedge shafts
  • BubbBubb Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭
    bopper53 wrote:

Easy TaylorMade, they cheapen their brand with a new club every 6 months.

Titleist a close second because they never get their special order irons right with the requested specs.

Seems like a reason TO play Taylormade. Deeply discounted clubs that are relatively new.

For me, I never pay retail. Only used clubs. There is too much of a disparity between on course results and a hitting bay that I need to try clubs out for a few rounds to determine whether I like them. I would take too big of a financial hit employing that testing method after paying full retail.
  • nogamejamesnogamejames Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    This thread has been a great read. I will play anything if the price is right which rules out PXG. For some reason I've never gotten along with Fujikura shafts.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
    3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
    4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
    4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
    5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
    50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
    Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7
  • Extreme2014Extreme2014 Members Posts: 4
    I was always a Mizuno guy, disliked Calloway.

Mizuno's were stolen and Calloway's ended up in my bag.

Handicap is down 3 index points since buying.

But that is probably because I went from 30 rounds a year to 85..

Grew up on Ping Eye 2's, but Pings no longer look good to me.
    Never up, never in
    You have to hit it to get it
    98% of short putts don't go in

My life goal is to beak GHIN.
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭
    Mukky wrote:

Ping because all of their equipment looks like dog sh*t and their fanboys are more annoying than even the PXG guys
    vault 2.0 putters are amazing looking.....what you sayin?