On Course Mizuno MP18 SC Reviews ....

tgolfer78

Im lookign for some Real on course results for those who have played MP18 SC.

Ive played MP33 52 53 (best ever) MP 15, 64 and a few others over the years....

I haven't been too happy with the latest mizuno irons - the 25s were horrible.

Looking to go back to MP irons and the MP18 SC Look great. I've hit them in the fitting bay a few times and hit them decent but not amazing but havne't hit with S300 which is what I always play.

Anybody playing them? Can anyone compare with other MP irons?? Can anyone compare with I Blade, Ap2 or Xforged??

Distance, forgiveness or feel???

Thanks!

I hit the SCs a good amount indoors and strongly preferred them over the 718 AP2s. This was before the X Forgeds were released, and I wasn't interested in the iBlades. I was about the pull the trigger on them when I came across a like-new set of MP-57s that I got for next to nothing. The SCs and 57s look nearly identical at address, although the blade length of the SCs is juuuussst a bit longer (copyright: Bob Uecker). But, I'm striping the 57s outdoors, they were way cheaper, and they look better, so I'll be sticking with them. (For the record, I didn't like the 25s either when I demoed them and thought they looked like crap.)

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

I have the SC's with Modus 105 stiff shafts. On course they are more forgiving than the MB's. Mizuno bills the SC's as a player's cavity back and I would have disagree a little with this. While they are pretty compact irons they are not hard to hit. They go thru the turf really well and do a pretty good job of covering up slight mishits. The SC's feel great too!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I hit them vs. iBlades. I was hitting the iBlade 7 iron the same distance as the MP18SC 6 iron?! iBlades for me. I so wanted the Mizunos, but hit the Pings better. :)

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I have the SC in Modus 120 and it is a great combo. In testing I hit them better than iBlades or AP2, but I have never cared for the AP2. Just a preference for the MP or iBlade look. I did not have a great session with the iBlade but that was with the LZ shaft and it felt strange to me.

To me what gets overlooked on the MP18 is the sole grind. Excellent through the turf and just the right bounce to work in all conditions. I care way more about sole and turf interaction than topline look.

I found the MP18 comparable to the MP54, 59 and JPX900 Forged in forgiveness on mishits. Blade is compact enough to work well from the rough but not too compact as to be intimidating. Beautiful clubs in the bag.

I find them to be very playable. First time with this Modus 120 shaft and it is high quality but I may have too quick a tempo for it. if I did anything it would be to change that for a Modus 125, KBS C Taper Lite X or PX Rifle 5.5.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I have the SC in Modus 120 and it is a great combo. In testing I hit them better than iBlades or AP2, but I have never cared for the AP2. Just a preference for the MP or iBlade look. I did not have a great session with the iBlade but that was with the LZ shaft and it felt strange to me.

To me what gets overlooked on the MP18 is the sole grind. Excellent through the turf and just the right bounce to work in all conditions. I care way more about sole and turf interaction than topline look.

I found the MP18 comparable to the MP54, 59 and JPX900 Forged in forgiveness on mishits. Blade is compact enough to work well from the rough but not too compact as to be intimidating. Beautiful clubs in the bag.

I find them to be very playable. First time with this Modus 120 shaft and it is high quality but I may have too quick a tempo for it. if I did anything it would be to change that for a Modus 125, KBS C Taper Lite X or PX Rifle 5.5.

modus 130 is the way to go

Played today w sc18 Wow short irons are money can flight em with ease hit a natural draw feel tremendous when u nut em Only had to hit 5/6 iron 1x 6iron stuffed it into the wind on a 165 yard par 3 I like that toe shots are not awful and minimal distance loss Those actually held their intended line well Hell it was 45 today in south NJ and wind was at least 20mph Greens were rock hard but was able to hit a bunch of good shots Sc18 are like the mp69 with a wider sole and toe relief Just awesome irons Going full mizzy this year Broke out my mpt 10 wedges Now gonna reshaft them with the kbs610 wedges shaft

Played today w sc18 Wow short irons are money can flight em with ease hit a natural draw feel tremendous when u nut em Only had to hit 5/6 iron 1x 6iron stuffed it into the wind on a 165 yard par 3 I like that toe shots are not awful and minimal distance loss Those actually held their intended line well Hell it was 45 today in south NJ and wind was at least 20mph Greens were rock hard but was able to hit a bunch of good shots Sc18 are like the mp69 with a wider sole and toe relief Just awesome irons Going full mizzy this year Broke out my mpt 10 wedges Now gonna reshaft them with the kbs610 wedges shaft

most of the on course reviews on the SC 18 are amazing. Frick I might have to get a set....

2024 Bag TBD

• 2 weeks later...

most of the on course reviews on the SC 18 are amazing. Frick I might have to get a set....

Spent considerable time this week in Scottsdale, SC is awesome. Borrowed my buddy’s set who owns a shop back home, and so happy I went MMC 4/5 and SC 6-P

SC through the turf especially in the rough is just pure.

I have found they're a confidence club, upgraded from my TM M2 Tour irons to 3iron MMC, 4-7 in SC and 8-PW in MB. All with DG X100 shafts.

Initially the slightly smaller top line was an issue to the eye, but the more rounds I play the more comfortable I'm getting with them. Agree with all the other posters, the turf interaction is really solid, and when you catch one flush I'm not sure there is a better feeling in golf.

Numbers wise it's the dispersion which has them as a winner for me - if I hit a 9 iron, I know it will carry 140 unless I really fat one - with the taylormades the range was between 120 and 160 and where I play you don't want to ever be missing long.

I'm now Mizuno all the way when it comes to irons, beautiful clubs!

I have found they're a confidence club, upgraded from my TM M2 Tour irons to 3iron MMC, 4-7 in SC and 8-PW in MB. All with DG X100 shafts.

Initially the slightly smaller top line was an issue to the eye, but the more rounds I play the more comfortable I'm getting with them. Agree with all the other posters, the turf interaction is really solid, and when you catch one flush I'm not sure there is a better feeling in golf.

Numbers wise it's the dispersion which has them as a winner for me - if I hit a 9 iron, I know it will carry 140 unless I really fat one - with the taylormades the range was between 120 and 160 and where I play you don't want to ever be missing long.

I'm now Mizuno all the way when it comes to irons, beautiful clubs!

Front to back dispersion is where the SC I feel have shined thus far. I’m surprised at how long I’m hitting them too....8 iron 178 yards down in Phoenix is not common for me....can’t wait to see what they are like at 2200 ft

These are the first "player"-ish set of irons I've played and haven't looked back. Ball flight is so gorgeous, I feel they are forgiving enough to keep the ball in play and online. I appreciate the standard lofts as well. They are just challenging enough to keep you honest in your ball striking but keeps you in the game. No complaints here.

I hit the SCs a good amount indoors and strongly preferred them over the 718 AP2s. This was before the X Forgeds were released, and I wasn't interested in the iBlades. I was about the pull the trigger on them when I came across a like-new set of MP-57s that I got for next to nothing. The SCs and 57s look nearly identical at address, although the blade length of the SCs is juuuussst a bit longer (copyright: Bob Uecker). But, I'm striping the 57s outdoors, they were way cheaper, and they look better, so I'll be sticking with them. (For the record, I didn't like the 25s either when I demoed them and thought they looked like crap.)

I was really surprised to read this regarding the blade length. I used to play 57s and assumed they were one of the "bigger" MP irons in regards to blade length. I found them very easy to play even as a pretty high handicap

I was really surprised to read this regarding the blade length. I used to play 57s and assumed they were one of the "bigger" MP irons in regards to blade length. I found them very easy to play even as a pretty high handicap

As a somewhat recent Mizuno convert I've picked up sets of 60s, 52s, and 53s along with my 57s. In addition to not liking the 25s, I didn't care for the look of the 54s either. The 57s don't seem to get a lot of love here, maybe because they replaced the uber-popular 60s and have a thicker topline (just relative to the 60s). I did a fair amount of research and don't recall seeing much commentary on blade length.

My mint set of 53s just arrived yesterday! The topline appears to be the same as the 57s and the blade length a hair longer, meaning the topline and blade lengths of the 53s and SCs are visually identical to me.

In comparing all of those sets, my conclusions are:

Topline (descending thickness): 52 > 57 = 53 = SC > 60

Blade length (descending): 52 > 53 = SC > 57 > 60

Forgiveness (descending): 53 > SC > 57 > 60 (I returned the 52s because the cavities in the long irons were noticeably visible at address.)

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

As a somewhat recent Mizuno convert I've picked up sets of 60s, 52s, and 53s along with my 57s. In addition to not liking the 25s, I didn't care for the look of the 54s either. The 57s don't seem to get a lot of love here, maybe because they replaced the uber-popular 60s and have a thicker topline (just relative to the 60s). I did a fair amount of research and don't recall seeing much commentary on blade length.

My mint set of 53s just arrived yesterday! The topline appears to be the same as the 57s and the blade length a hair longer, meaning the topline and blade lengths of the 53s and SCs are visually identical to me.

In comparing all of those sets, my conclusions are:

Topline (descending thickness): 52 > 57 = 53 = SC > 60

Blade length (descending): 52 > 53 = 18 > 57 > 60

Forgiveness (descending): 53 > SC > 57 > 60 (I returned the 52s because the cavities in the long irons were noticeably visible at address.)

you think the SC are more forgiving than 57 and 60?

How did they compare to MP53??

Since I'm considering a combo set I've appreciated all the feedback in this thread - thank you all.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black