2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Size Vehicle for group

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just copy/pasted this out of a comment I made in another thread about getting around:

"A smaller one like this (https://www.whatcar....e-practicality/) would take 4 guys no problem and is still plenty car-like.

And talking a quick look at holidayautos, they are quite affordable too."

We went as a sixsome a few years back and had two estates (stationwagons) which worked well. I'd assume the extra size of those would take an extra person well. It also gives you flexibility if some guys want to play 36, while others are done after 18.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've used Celtic Legend to hire cars in Scotland. A standard minivan (or Multi Purpose Vehicle) is fine for most of your travel, but can get awful tight when you're leaving the airport with all of your luggage and clubs in travel covers. I've rented a Group 9 van, and it works great for 4 golfers with full luggage, and can carry 8 players to and from the golf courses.

http://www.celticlegend.co.uk/car-rental-prices-scotland/

You might consider one large one like that, and one smaller one to reduce the total cost. Be sure to reserve a car with an automatic transmission if that's what you need, they're not as common in Scotland as they are in the US.

I've used Celtic Legend to hire cars in Scotland. A standard minivan (or Multi Purpose Vehicle) is fine for most of your travel, but can get awful tight when you're leaving the airport with all of your luggage and clubs in travel covers. I've rented a Group 9 van, and it works great for 4 golfers with full luggage, and can carry 8 players to and from the golf courses.

http://www.celticleg...rices-scotland/

You might consider one large one like that, and one smaller one to reduce the total cost. Be sure to reserve a car with an automatic transmission if that's what you need, they're not as common in Scotland as they are in the US.

I took a suggestion to contact them a few weeks ago, and we have 4 people, 3 golf bags (light carry bags) and carry ons for luggage, and their quote was the largest van available (the 8-9 passenger) or using two, yes two, estate wagons with 2 of us in each. Looking at the cost quoted in the email, I'm sure they would make out just fine on those recommendations, lol, but they were overkill (2 estate wagons is ridiculous), so I moved on after clarifying what we needed in case there was any misunderstanding and then getting the same response.

I took a suggestion to contact them a few weeks ago, and we have 4 people, 3 golf bags (light carry bags) and carry ons for luggage, and their quote was the largest van available (the 8-9 passenger) or using two, yes two, estate wagons with 2 of us in each. Looking at the cost quoted in the email, I'm sure they would make out just fine on those recommendations, lol, but they were overkill (2 estate wagons is ridiculous), so I moved on after clarifying what we needed in case there was any misunderstanding and then getting the same response.

I looked at their site - and I don't quite see the point unless you were already tied into them as part of an overall package. The hard sell on the big van is properly taking the p1ss as well.

Based on their blurbs they'd need to offer a properly big discount (25%+) off Arnold Clark's rack rates to beat what you can get easily elsewhere online from Arnold Clark.

Might have to send along a quote request and see what they say.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I looked at their site - and I don't quite see the point unless you were already tied into them as part of an overall package. The hard sell on the big van is properly taking the p1ss as well.

Based on their blurbs they'd need to offer a properly big discount (25%+) off Arnold Clark's rack rates to beat what you can get easily elsewhere online from Arnold Clark.

If everyone is taking only carry-on luggage and golf bags, a standard minivan is probably OK. When I've gone for a week or more, and packing sweaters and rain gear and all the stuff I'll want in cooler and potentially rainy conditions, I've always had a checked bag plus carry-on. If everyone does that, its a tight squeeze getting into a normal size minivan.

I just took a quick look to compare costs with my reservation for June. For 8 days, the Arnold Clark quote is 1050 pounds, the Celtic Legend quote is 750. Its just about a 25% discount. For most Americans, be sure to compare costs including any required insurance. Double check with your home insurer and/or credit card company to understand about the coverage in the UK.

If everyone is taking only carry-on luggage and golf bags, a standard minivan is probably OK. When I've gone for a week or more, and packing sweaters and rain gear and all the stuff I'll want in cooler and potentially rainy conditions, I've always had a checked bag plus carry-on. If everyone does that, its a tight squeeze getting into a normal size minivan.

I just took a quick look to compare costs with my reservation for June. For 8 days, the Arnold Clark quote is 1050 pounds, the Celtic Legend quote is 750. Its just about a 25% discount. For most Americans, be sure to compare costs including any required insurance. Double check with your home insurer and/or credit card company to understand about the coverage in the UK.

I tried carhirescotland.com. They are out of the 9 person minibus. Had just planned to get 2 of them. 4 people in each van. I will try the link you provided

That's why I specifically mentioned comparing Arnold Clark as they are inclusive, another company + your CC would obviously be cheaper still.

I'm not debating more size cannot be useful and happy your chosen option worked for you :) but that upsell to Hawk and what they say on their website seems they like to push things into the bigger category when it's not required.

Personally - unless we were having 4 caddies travel with us the whole time - I'd never pick a Cat 9 van, as for me/us 4 golfers with all the gear you referenced, it's simple not necessary.

F.T.

That's why I specifically mentioned comparing Arnold Clark as they are inclusive, another company + your CC would obviously be cheaper still.

I'm not debating more size cannot be useful and happy your chosen option worked for you :) but that upsell to Hawk and what they say on their website seems they like to push things into the bigger category when it's not required.

Personally - unless we were having 4 caddies travel with us the whole time - I'd never pick a Cat 9 van, as for me/us 4 golfers with all the gear you referenced, it's simple not necessary.

Thanks! And not taking shots at them, I was just relating my very real experience. It was just a little surprising when I responded with more specifics on the amount of luggage, our travel plans when there, and making sure they knew it was just 3 bags and indicating the CAT 9 van was way too big in volume and for our other needs while there, and asking about the specific kind of estate wagon (singular) they mentioned, I got back the reply that it wasn't one estate wagon for 4 people, but 2 estate wagons that we would absolutely need. Nice folks, and I was more amused by the response than anything, but it was unreasonable.

There are obviously different views on the size of vehicle needed, and I think it depends on your style of packing for the trip. One thing I'd like to clarify, though, is that Celtic Legend are booking agents for Arnold Clark, who are a highly reputable car-hire firm. I have no idea how Celtic Legend offer substantially lower prices, but they do. I've had only good experiences booking with Celtic Legend, and the cars and service from Arnold Clark were excellent. Its worth getting a price from them, no matter what size vehicle you decide on.

There are obviously different views on the size of vehicle needed, and I think it depends on your style of packing for the trip. One thing I'd like to clarify, though, is that Celtic Legend are booking agents for Arnold Clark, who are a highly reputable car-hire firm. I have no idea how Celtic Legend offer substantially lower prices, but they do. I've had only good experiences booking with Celtic Legend, and the cars and service from Arnold Clark were excellent. Its worth getting a price from them, no matter what size vehicle you decide on.

Certainly not disputing your logic or experience for sure, but when I get an unreasonable response pushing me to two vehicles instead of one which will cost me substantially more money than other options (and I've given really specific info about our luggage and plans and reached out to clarify their apparent misunderstanding in good spirit and in good faith), I'm not going to pursue any more inquiries with them (and I'm not suggesting others don't give them a try). Enough on that one, again they were nice about it, and maybe they've had bad experiences from angry Yanks who insist on vehicles too small for them.

Actually, I may have gotten to them via a post of yours I saw on TripAdvisor (you have some good stuff on there).

One thing I've found is companies have limited supplies of certain classes/kinds of vehicles or vehicle/transmission combinations so a bit of searching is definitely in order.

We aren't afraid to stack 3 lightweight carry golf bags, and be a little crowded for a couple of stretches of the trip to and from our "bases", but we'll be staying in one area for a week and another for several days and will be using the vehicle as much for some tourist stuff sans bags and luggage, as much as golf (and half of that will likely be only 2 of us playing and half our golf will be walking to the courses from where our lodgings are). So yes, all depends on how you organize, what you need the vehicle for, etc. If I'm getting two cars, lol, bring on a couple of sporty BMWs!

Certainly not disputing your logic or experience for sure, but when I get an unreasonable response pushing me to two vehicles instead of one which will cost me substantially more money than other options (and I've given really specific info about our luggage and plans and reached out to clarify their apparent misunderstanding in good spirit and in good faith), I'm not going to pursue any more inquiries with them (and I'm not suggesting others don't give them a try). Enough on that one, again they were nice about it, and maybe they've had bad experiences from angry Yanks who insist on vehicles too small for them.

Actually, I may have gotten to them via a post of yours I saw on TripAdvisor (you have some good stuff on there).

One thing I've found is companies have limited supplies of certain classes/kinds of vehicles or vehicle/transmission combinations so a bit of searching is definitely in order.

We aren't afraid to stack 3 lightweight carry golf bags, and be a little crowded for a couple of stretches of the trip to and from our "bases", but we'll be staying in one area for a week and another for several days and will be using the vehicle as much for some tourist stuff sans bags and luggage, as much as golf (and half of that will likely be only 2 of us playing and half our golf will be walking to the courses from where our lodgings are). So yes, all depends on how you organize, what you need the vehicle for, etc. If I'm getting two cars, lol, bring on a couple of sporty BMWs!

Ya I definitely think there was a bit of them thinking - another foursome of fullsome Americans coming from their SUVs needing big drinks holders and wide/long seats ;)

But wholly agree if you (the customer) state a preference and they cannot adjust to that, they can do one.

Yes that's it, not being able to see out the back for a few stretches is not exactly a hardship and for your non-golf and getting to-from the course driving it makes it sooo much easier. There's not much point in clipping the apex of a roundabout in a van, but in something smaller? (cool)

F.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Strongly suggest Arnold Clark, as noted. Get two Mercedes Vito vans, auto tranny. Four guys and all their gear fit nicely into one van. Safe travels.

I used the link above. Celtic Legend. I ended up getting a Mercedes Vito and a large sedan. Figured 4 guys and all bags and luggage in van while 4 ride in car. Hoping this works. Saved good bit of money by not doing two vans

Strongly suggest Arnold Clark, as noted. Get two Mercedes Vito vans, auto tranny. Four guys and all their gear fit nicely into one van. Safe travels.

I used the link above. Celtic Legend. I ended up getting a Mercedes Vito and a large sedan. Figured 4 guys and all bags and luggage in van while 4 ride in car. Hoping this works. Saved good bit of money by not doing two vans

I think that's a good plan. If you need to when you're leaving the airport, you can stack some luggage in the van instead of the sedan. Once you've got your luggage to your lodging, you can take 8 players and clubs to the golf course in the big van.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you guys have it figured out, but a tidbit for someone else who might discover this thread is to leave your golf travel bags at the airport if you're flying in and out of the same place. They take up a lot room in the smaller rental vehicles in the UK (or the rest of Europe), but if you're a group you can take everyone's travel bag and stuff them into the largest bag and then leave that at the Left Luggage storage for a nominal fee. It really frees up a lot of luggage room in the car.

Since we're on the topic... do you think a Ford Galaxy 7 is adequate for 4 people, 4 golf bags, and 4 carry on sized bags? It's got a third row of seats that can be folded down.

That's what I linked to for a review above. IMHO yes definitely, but as you've seen others here would disagree.

F.T.

Since we're on the topic... do you think a Ford Galaxy 7 is adequate for 4 people, 4 golf bags, and 4 carry on sized bags? It's got a third row of seats that can be folded down.

My guess is that it'll be pretty snug leaving the airport, but not bad going to and from the courses. I've never felt comfortable with that little clothing, and if you have checked luggage in addition to carry-on, you might run out of room.

• 1 year later...

Thought this might be a good thread to ask about a car as a single (lots of searching, no real luck). When I'm in the US I typically opt for something more comfortable than a compact since it's usually only a few dollars more. But in my searching so far, I'm wondering if between the narrow streets, tight parking and cost, if I should be thinking tiny is best. Not knowing most of the models, I'm also struggling to tell what would fit my clubs and a carry on without having to lay in the passenger seat (which was how I did it as a kid driving a two-seater for a while). My time on the road will include EDI to East Lothian to St. Andrews to EDI, with some short exploring near St. Andrews (Ansthruter, for example). Not a ton of road time.

ETA: I'm looking for an automatic, which obviously hikes the price, but I don't think learning to drive a stick between now and next spring is happening. Not sure if that matters in what size I find.

The St Andrews area of Scotland isn't too bad road wise. When we went we ended up with a VW Golf hatchback for two people. The back seat folded down and there was plenty of room. We went with an auto even though all my cars that I've owned have been manual. One less thing to worry about.

Now roads in Ireland, that's another story.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @philsRHman said:

> Thought this might be a good thread to ask about a car as a single (lots of searching, no real luck). When I'm in the US I typically opt for something more comfortable than a compact since it's usually only a few dollars more. But in my searching so far, I'm wondering if between the narrow streets, tight parking and cost, if I should be thinking tiny is best. Not knowing most of the models, I'm also struggling to tell what would fit my clubs and a carry on without having to lay in the passenger seat (which was how I did it as a kid driving a two-seater for a while). My time on the road will include EDI to East Lothian to St. Andrews to EDI, with some short exploring near St. Andrews (Ansthruter, for example). Not a ton of road time.

>

> ETA: I'm looking for an automatic, which obviously hikes the price, but I don't think learning to drive a stick between now and next spring is happening. Not sure if that matters in what size I find.

A Vauxhall Corsa or something similar should easily fit your needs. If you like the slightly larger a Corsa or similar will be fine, but you are correct in that parking is sometimes tight (my experience is based on the highlands, not StAndrews) but any vehicle that size should easily fit clubs and luggage for a single. Assuming you aren't Princess Vespa from Spaceballs.

> @philsRHman said:

> Thought this might be a good thread to ask about a car as a single (lots of searching, no real luck). When I'm in the US I typically opt for something more comfortable than a compact since it's usually only a few dollars more. But in my searching so far, I'm wondering if between the narrow streets, tight parking and cost, if I should be thinking tiny is best. Not knowing most of the models, I'm also struggling to tell what would fit my clubs and a carry on without having to lay in the passenger seat (which was how I did it as a kid driving a two-seater for a while). My time on the road will include EDI to East Lothian to St. Andrews to EDI, with some short exploring near St. Andrews (Ansthruter, for example). Not a ton of road time.

>

> ETA: I'm looking for an automatic, which obviously hikes the price, but I don't think learning to drive a stick between now and next spring is happening. Not sure if that matters in what size I find.

I'll reiterate my suggestion that you at least look at Celtic Legend, who are agents for Arnold Clark:

https://www.celticlegend.co.uk/car-rental-prices-scotland/

When I rented, it was cheaper to go through Celtic Legend than directly with Arnold Clark. Once you figure in insurance (included this way, excluded in many others) it was competitive with the rest. As the others suggest, the roads where you're planning to go are wide enough for moderately sized cars. I managed to get a 9-seater van through them, you'll have no problem with a normal size car. A small hatchback (Group 4 on the Celtic Legend site) would be plenty big enough.

> @davep043 said:

> > @philsRHman said:

> > Thought this might be a good thread to ask about a car as a single (lots of searching, no real luck). When I'm in the US I typically opt for something more comfortable than a compact since it's usually only a few dollars more. But in my searching so far, I'm wondering if between the narrow streets, tight parking and cost, if I should be thinking tiny is best. Not knowing most of the models, I'm also struggling to tell what would fit my clubs and a carry on without having to lay in the passenger seat (which was how I did it as a kid driving a two-seater for a while). My time on the road will include EDI to East Lothian to St. Andrews to EDI, with some short exploring near St. Andrews (Ansthruter, for example). Not a ton of road time.

> >

> > ETA: I'm looking for an automatic, which obviously hikes the price, but I don't think learning to drive a stick between now and next spring is happening. Not sure if that matters in what size I find.

>

> I'll reiterate my suggestion that you at least look at Celtic Legend, who are agents for Arnold Clark:

> https://www.celticlegend.co.uk/car-rental-prices-scotland/

> When I rented, it was cheaper to go through Celtic Legend than directly with Arnold Clark. Once you figure in insurance (included this way, excluded in many others) it was competitive with the rest. As the others suggest, the roads where you're planning to go are wide enough for moderately sized cars. I managed to get a 9-seater van through them, you'll have no problem with a normal size car. A small hatchback (Group 4 on the Celtic Legend site) would be plenty big enough.

I saw your mention of Celtic Legend and I sent them an enquiry. Curious what they come back with. I've also gotten a quote on Costco Travel, for an intermediate (via Enterprise) for 350 pounds, which is about the same price as their smallest cars. I've spotted a Volvo V90 luxury/station wagon on Autoeurope for $252 (via Hertz). Yes, dollars is what it's quoting me. I think it's a mistake as that's about $250 less than anything else they offer from Hertz, but I don't know that I was to risk having it voided at arrival.

On Celtic Legend, I understand it's inclusive of insurance. In the US, my credit card and my personal Geico includes coverage. Yet I'm still always so confused about what I need and what's a scam.

> @philsRHman said:

>

> On Celtic Legend, I understand it's inclusive of insurance. In the US, my credit card and my personal Geico includes coverage. Yet I'm still always so confused about what I need and what's a scam.

Just double check that your credit card or home insurance covers rentals in Scotland. At one time that was very rare, but things may have changed. Some of the best advice for me came from Tripadvisors Scotland forum.

> @davep043 said:

> > @philsRHman said:

>

> >

> > On Celtic Legend, I understand it's inclusive of insurance. In the US, my credit card and my personal Geico includes coverage. Yet I'm still always so confused about what I need and what's a scam.

>

> Just double check that your credit card or home insurance covers rentals in Scotland. At one time that was very rare, but things may have changed. Some of the best advice for me came from Tripadvisors Scotland forum.

Bingo! Capital One Venture card has collision coverage, so I think I'm all set there. And good advice on the Tripadvisors forum. Just what I need, another rabbit hole to dive down this week LOL

> @philsRHman said:

>

> Bingo! Capital One Venture card has collision coverage, so I think I'm all set there. And good advice on the Tripadvisors forum. Just what I need, another rabbit hole to dive down this week LOL

Next thing, make sure you have the documentation of that insurance with you. When I was in Ireland in 2016, Hertz required that I have a letter from my credit card company verifying that it did provide insurance for rentals in Ireland. Its not a big deal to get, as long as you plan in advance.

doesn't matter what car you rent, you should def rent through celtic legend ... they are VERY customer oriented ... CL explains all requirements in detail, from cc coverage to excess amounts (deductibles) ... some of the rental companies do not take cc coverage, or require some type of add on, or just plain don't explain everything up front ... CL will answer questions up front proactively, in plain language ... i would check your capital one venture card very closely to see exactly what they do and don't cover, and check that with CL ...

As I said, my experience with Celtic Legend was odd but I'm treating it as just a misunderstanding based on what others I fully trust on here have reported who have actually rented. And you get to deal with William Wallace - that's pretty cool. Lightning bolts out the exhaust!

Having said that, in 2018 we rented from Sixt and last summer from Arnold Clark and the experiences were fine. Reserve early to get an automatic transmission.

Summer before last we had a Land Rover Discovery for four of us (only two golf bags) and it was just right. This year a smaller SUV for two of us and two golf bags (I like sitting up a little higher), can't recall the make - here's a pic, and for two of us it had plenty of room, ran on gas and got incredible mileage. I enjoyed the smaller vehicle a lot more personally, but even with a small SUV size it wasn't any trouble at all getting around anywhere.

As was mentioned, the roads around St. Andrews are great, we found the roads in and around Troon and the west coast to be pretty darn good as well this year, as was East Lothian. Trickiest roads were a year ago and way up north and in hilly country on the northwest coast.

Strangely, except for the occasional brain fade and gentle reminder from my wife, I found there to be really no transition at all this summer to driving on the left side/negotiating the roads and roundabouts (the in car navigation we had was unbelievable, especially for the roundabouts, in terms of narrating directions). Last year driving some tricky roads in the Glencoe area the very first day of the trip in 50 mph winds, car full of family and lots of "help" kind of set me back a little, lol. More time spent in the vehicle, better it got. Once we got from Dornoch to St. Andrews there was a significant difference in the roads, IMO. Regardless of where we were, I enjoyed just going out for a drive and nosing around for practice and just enjoying the countryside - lots of fun.

igu7d8xh96d9.jpeg