best drills for fixing "getting stuck"

Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,172 ✭✭
Just got back from a lesson. On trackman I was starting the session around +7 path. We figured out I was getting stuck and with an iron... We solved it by having the 'feel' that I was swinging out to in which zeroed me out. Switched to driver... much worse, and that quick fix wasn't working.

I seem to have a lot of backside lateral bend, which keeps my head really far back and my hands drop. This in turn doesn't allow my hips to clear and it's push city. Of course I have some EE but I don't know if the EE is the cause, or a result of being stuck and not turning right.

Some Monte videos and drills would be nice. I have a driver fitting next Sat and I almost don't even want to go if every shot is a 30+ yard push.
WITB
DRIVER MIA
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X
P790 4i Modus 120X
P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Comments

• spbrooksspbrooks Posts: 323 ✭✭
    edited Jan 26, 2018 #2
    check out some Mike Malaska videos really helped me.Try this one

Monte's great too!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB

Ping G 14.5

Callaway Apex UT 21* or Titleist 816H 19*

Titleist 918 AP2 4-pw Project X 6.0

Titleist SM6 50,54,58

Scotty Laguna

TM TP 5
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,172 ✭✭
    For any other "good" golfers, the last 4 minutes of this Monte video is exactly what I was seeing and feeling.

We took video when I was way too inside. Coach says to feel like my lead shoulder is coming a bit over the top and that I should almost feel like Im pulling it. Result was a pure strike right down the middle. It was just very tough to mimick that feeling with driver length and speed.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• 3eagles183eagles18 Posts: 913 ✭✭
    spbrooks wrote:

check out some Mike Malaska videos really helped me.Try this one https://youtu.be/--MlMXYTAZc

Monte's great too!

The link above will really help you. Watch it several times and make the move as slow as possible until you feel it. Very slow; Then graduate to your regular swing.
  • ram01002ram01002 Members Posts: 1,890 ✭✭
    Find the Dan Carraher post about arm swing matching pivot
    What's funny (also unfortunate) to me is that GG and Malaska almost say the exact opposite. The way I take it. GG wants passive-ish arms which when you turn, shallows the club and you come thru. When you look at what Malaska says, that movement you'd be doing under GG he'd consider being a bit stuck... and what Malaska says to do, GG would say is bad because the club travels down and gets steep.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• jbw749jbw749 Members Posts: 1,126
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Just got back from a lesson. On trackman I was starting the session around +7 path. We figured out I was getting stuck and with an iron... We solved it by having the 'feel' that I was swinging out to in which zeroed me out. Switched to driver... much worse, and that quick fix wasn't working.

I seem to have a lot of backside lateral bend, which keeps my head really far back and my hands drop. This in turn doesn't allow my hips to clear and it's push city. Of course I have some EE but I don't know if the EE is the cause, or a result of being stuck and not turning right.

Some Monte videos and drills would be nice. I have a driver fitting next Sat and I almost don't even want to go if every shot is a 30+ yard push.

Keep your torso stacked over your lower body. You don't want much secondary tilt.

Just watched this vid.

I think I just need to spend the next few days doing dozens and dozens of slow mo swings keeping that stack and feel like I'm swinging out to the right a little (I'm lefty).

Also, I was looking at my trackman numbers (the range emails me my data) and my 7i average was 85mph, with a high of 90mph. Driver average was only 100mph, with a high of 105. That seems low... Am I losing tons of speed because of this?
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• boatrightgolf7boatrightgolf7 Posts: 191
    edited Jan 29, 2018 #9
    When I was playing a lot I found it's best to take a 5 wood open your shoulders 20 yards left with a wide open stance as well and just cut the **** out of it on the range with zero target it mind you may duff a few and top a few,but mostly high balloons to the right. In essence this is the polar opposite of stuck isn't it? In doing this your re training your muscles to feel a steep and shallow approach if that makes sense..? Now your picking and cutting a fairway metal in a cut fashion for 15 balls in a row so you turn yourself closed little by little until you click and find your happy medium without being push and hook blinded to the point of quitting the game and you don't need drills or stop motion garbage just hit the ball in the wide opposite direction for muscle memory in a free flowing motion til it works itself out by adjusting your set up.

Your a left so it's just an opposite approach for you Alternate from this until your hitting baby fades then straight balls and hopefully eventually consistent draw turn overshots for you.
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    bump, any other advice on the dreaded stuck position?
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • elthrillelthrill Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

bump, any other advice on the dreaded stuck position?

http://www.golfwrx.com/70325/getting-in-sync/

that drill is like gasoline for my swing. i have to do it once a week to keep everything in sync.

• kobe123kobe123 Golf Is A Way Of Life Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,001 ✭✭
    Buy a chiliwacker, great product!
  • glkglk send it in jerome Members Posts: 3,291 ✭✭
    Need to find root cause(s) and fix them. Can go all the way back to setup. There is no single video drill to fix "getting stuck" cause people can do various different things to get there.
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX Posts: 3,907 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 11, 2018 #14
    I highly recommend getting the video Concepts on Transition and Impact with Joe Mayo and Grant Waite, it's on Vimeo, even though it's a pay video it was super helpful in clearing up this issue.

Edit: The punchline is basically if you get steep early in transition it's a guess right or left of where that golf ball ends up.
    G400 Max
    M2 3W, Hybrid
    i210s
    SM7s
    Sigma 2, Tyne 4
    glk wrote:

Need to find root cause(s) and fix them. Can go all the way back to setup. There is no single video drill to fix "getting stuck" cause people can do various different things to get there.

Turned out for me it wasn't set up but mostly my backswing and transition. Not that I've fixed it completely, but Monte helped to set me on the right path.

With the driver, it was also ball position and tee height.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file