GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

KBS Tour black nickel versus KBS tour custom black pearl durability of finish

lowheel ·  
lowheellowheel LOWHEELMembers  6787WRX Points: 1,891Posts: 6,787 Titanium Tees
Hey guys, i fitted one of my students and he loved the kbs tour black nickel and kbs tour black pearl shafts. He asked me about the durability of the finishes. Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with either. I’ve installed these in wedges before but never a full set. Never got complaints or anything like that so just curious what you guys think. I’ve tested the dynamic gold s400 black onyx wedges and the shaft finish was pretty resilient after 2 months so I’m wondering if kbs is the same
Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• skralyskraly ClubWRX  1696WRX Points: 197Posts: 1,696 ClubWRX
    lowheel wrote:
    <br />
    Hey guys, i fitted one of my students and he loved the kbs tour black nickel and kbs tour black pearl shafts. He asked me about the durability of the finishes. Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with either. I've installed these in wedges before but never a full set. Never got complaints or anything like that so just curious what you guys think. I've tested the dynamic gold s400 black onyx wedges and the shaft finish was pretty resilient after 2 months so I'm wondering if kbs is the same<br />
    <br />
    I would say that neither are outstandingly durable. Certainly not as durable as the standard chrome finish.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6787WRX Points: 1,891Posts: 6,787 Titanium Tees
    skraly wrote:
    <br />
    lowheel wrote:
    <br />
    Hey guys, i fitted one of my students and he loved the kbs tour black nickel and kbs tour black pearl shafts. He asked me about the durability of the finishes. Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with either. I've installed these in wedges before but never a full set. Never got complaints or anything like that so just curious what you guys think. I've tested the dynamic gold s400 black onyx wedges and the shaft finish was pretty resilient after 2 months so I'm wondering if kbs is the same<br />
    <br />
    I would say that neither are outstandingly durable. Certainly not as durable as the standard chrome finish.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Could you elaborate please? Do they scratch easy or does the paint chip/ peel? He has a cart bag with 14 individual separators. Would that help?
    Posted:
  • ThreePuttForeParThreePuttForePar Members  554WRX Points: 43Posts: 554 Golden Tee
    The Black Nickel finish was not very durable at all and was discontinued several years ago because of wear/peeling issues. The Tour Custom series uses the same type of paint/clear coat finish that the Black Onyx shafts use and is much more durable. If the player has a bag with full dividers and takes reasonable care of their equipment they shouldn't have issues with that finish. I've built hundreds of wedges with the Tour Custom shafts and have not had any wear issues come back with them. If you have someone who is very hard on their equipment, you can certainly scratch the paint finish though. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, they look very sharp when you coordinate some custom ferrules/grips with them and the laser etch option is also nice.
    Posted:
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members  6787WRX Points: 1,891Posts: 6,787 Titanium Tees
    <br />
    The Black Nickel finish was not very durable at all and was discontinued several years ago because of wear/peeling issues. The Tour Custom series uses the same type of paint/clear coat finish that the Black Onyx shafts use and is much more durable. If the player has a bag with full dividers and takes reasonable care of their equipment they shouldn't have issues with that finish. I've built hundreds of wedges with the Tour Custom shafts and have not had any wear issues come back with them. If you have someone who is very hard on their equipment, you can certainly scratch the paint finish though. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, they look very sharp when you coordinate some custom ferrules/grips with them and the laser etch option is also nice.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    It’s my understanding there are 2 generations of black nickel. Is that true? I’ve used the tt black onyx shafts in wedges before so maybe that’s the path to take. Thanks for your input and for taking the time to answer
    Posted:
  • ThreePuttForeParThreePuttForePar Members  554WRX Points: 43Posts: 554 Golden Tee
    They have released a Black PVD finish on the $ Taper shaft. It looks similar in appearance to the old Black Nickel finish, but they use a different process to apply the coating. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. On the KBS Tour shaft, it is currently only offered in the traditional chrome finish or the Tour Custom finish which is a paint finish like the Black Onyx shafts.
    Posted:
    <br />
    They have released a Black PVD finish on the $ Taper shaft. It looks similar in appearance to the old Black Nickel finish, but they use a different process to apply the coating. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. On the KBS Tour shaft, it is currently only offered in the traditional chrome finish or the Tour Custom finish which is a paint finish like the Black Onyx shafts.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Yup I see those. I’m rifling thought the golfworks catalogue as we speak. He seems to like the high flight of the kbs tours so black tour custom it is! Thanks again
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members  1539WRX Points: 267Posts: 1,539 Platinum Tees

Now that the black pvd finish on the $taper holding up? Thinking about trying them in a set of new MP 20s.

Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Tour 9° Diamana DF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Callaway X Forged UT 18 2 iron Tensei Pro White 100TX
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
    Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #7
    All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
    Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.