KBS Tour black nickel versus KBS tour custom black pearl durability of finish

lowheellowheel LOWHEELMembers Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, i fitted one of my students and he loved the kbs tour black nickel and kbs tour black pearl shafts. He asked me about the durability of the finishes. Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with either. I’ve installed these in wedges before but never a full set. Never got complaints or anything like that so just curious what you guys think. I’ve tested the dynamic gold s400 black onyx wedges and the shaft finish was pretty resilient after 2 months so I’m wondering if kbs is the same
Tagged:

Comments

• skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,563 ClubWRX
    lowheel wrote:

Hey guys, i fitted one of my students and he loved the kbs tour black nickel and kbs tour black pearl shafts. He asked me about the durability of the finishes. Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with either. I've installed these in wedges before but never a full set. Never got complaints or anything like that so just curious what you guys think. I've tested the dynamic gold s400 black onyx wedges and the shaft finish was pretty resilient after 2 months so I'm wondering if kbs is the same

I would say that neither are outstandingly durable. Certainly not as durable as the standard chrome finish.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    skraly wrote:

lowheel wrote:

Hey guys, i fitted one of my students and he loved the kbs tour black nickel and kbs tour black pearl shafts. He asked me about the durability of the finishes. Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with either. I've installed these in wedges before but never a full set. Never got complaints or anything like that so just curious what you guys think. I've tested the dynamic gold s400 black onyx wedges and the shaft finish was pretty resilient after 2 months so I'm wondering if kbs is the same

I would say that neither are outstandingly durable. Certainly not as durable as the standard chrome finish.

Could you elaborate please? Do they scratch easy or does the paint chip/ peel? He has a cart bag with 14 individual separators. Would that help?
  • ThreePuttForeParThreePuttForePar Members Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Black Nickel finish was not very durable at all and was discontinued several years ago because of wear/peeling issues. The Tour Custom series uses the same type of paint/clear coat finish that the Black Onyx shafts use and is much more durable. If the player has a bag with full dividers and takes reasonable care of their equipment they shouldn't have issues with that finish. I've built hundreds of wedges with the Tour Custom shafts and have not had any wear issues come back with them. If you have someone who is very hard on their equipment, you can certainly scratch the paint finish though. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, they look very sharp when you coordinate some custom ferrules/grips with them and the laser etch option is also nice.
    edited Jan 29, 2018 #5

The Black Nickel finish was not very durable at all and was discontinued several years ago because of wear/peeling issues. The Tour Custom series uses the same type of paint/clear coat finish that the Black Onyx shafts use and is much more durable. If the player has a bag with full dividers and takes reasonable care of their equipment they shouldn't have issues with that finish. I've built hundreds of wedges with the Tour Custom shafts and have not had any wear issues come back with them. If you have someone who is very hard on their equipment, you can certainly scratch the paint finish though. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, they look very sharp when you coordinate some custom ferrules/grips with them and the laser etch option is also nice.

It’s my understanding there are 2 generations of black nickel. Is that true? I’ve used the tt black onyx shafts in wedges before so maybe that’s the path to take. Thanks for your input and for taking the time to answer
  • ThreePuttForeParThreePuttForePar Members Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have released a Black PVD finish on the $ Taper shaft. It looks similar in appearance to the old Black Nickel finish, but they use a different process to apply the coating. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. On the KBS Tour shaft, it is currently only offered in the traditional chrome finish or the Tour Custom finish which is a paint finish like the Black Onyx shafts.
    edited Jan 29, 2018 #7

They have released a Black PVD finish on the $ Taper shaft. It looks similar in appearance to the old Black Nickel finish, but they use a different process to apply the coating. Perhaps that is what you are thinking of. On the KBS Tour shaft, it is currently only offered in the traditional chrome finish or the Tour Custom finish which is a paint finish like the Black Onyx shafts.

Yup I see those. I’m rifling thought the golfworks catalogue as we speak. He seems to like the high flight of the kbs tours so black tour custom it is! Thanks again
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Now that the black pvd finish on the $taper holding up? Thinking about trying them in a set of new MP 20s.

Taylormade M3 440 9° Diamana BF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 18° Aldila RIP Tour 115 tour S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F PX6.5, 54S & 59D PX6.0
    Taylormade Ardmore 3 red/white 
    Titleist Pro-V1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file