Cut Golf balls

1789101113»

Comments

• chickwebbchickwebb Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I have to say after going through a dozen of these that, while I like them, the durability is just not as good as top-line balls. Yesterday I played a Blue for 9 holes and had to retire it because it was just beat to ****. Yeah, I bounced it of a cypress once, but the damage from my wedges and various small chunks of the cover just coming off rendered it unusable. Interestingly I played the back nine with a Grey (they're now available at the Golf Mart in Seaside, CA) and it faired much better. Perhaps there's an issue with the Blues. Dunno.

This is not to say I'm unhappy with them. I do think they're a pretty good value, and right now my home course is so muddy and the "rough" so long that we're all losing multiple balls pretty much every round. So the fact that they're not as durable isn't really much of an issue today. Once the course dries out a bit and they can start cutting the rough again, I'll likely go back to my "summer" ball.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,172 ✭✭
    Got a sleeve of cut blue to try. First thing I noticed is how easily...they cut. Full wedge shot and filleted easily.
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:

Got a sleeve of cut blue to try. First thing I noticed is how easily...they cut. Full wedge shot and filleted easily.

I hit 20 pitches with one today (a few each from 15 to 50 yds). I cleaned it up and it looks like new. You using razor blades or something?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,172 ✭✭
    It was a full gap wedge, carried 120 or so. But yes, new wedge
  • LM1429LM1429 Members Posts: 5
    Krt22 wrote:

Same problem for me. My wedges have 30+ rounds old and countless driving range time on them.
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,227 ✭✭
    Got an email stating that bulk buys are going away and will no longer be available after 03/17.
    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • ruffellprefleyruffellprefley Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    even at the 10dz bulk you saved what, $3 a dozen? as long as they stay a $20 dozen it’s still a great deal. let’s hope they work on the durability of the cover
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,227 ✭✭

even at the 10dz bulk you saved what, $3 a dozen? as long as they stay a $20 dozen it’s still a great deal. let’s hope they work on the durability of the cover

It's still a good value. It's a little more when you figure bulk buys came with free shipping. I was more just giving an FYI for those like me who live in an area where conditions will improve enough over the next month to actually start playing abs they need to pick up some balls. Buying bulk will save me $25 with the free shipping.
    Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • ruffellprefleyruffellprefley Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    True enough. Great if you want to split the 10 dozen with a friend or two. I myself have learned my lesson about ball hoarding though... I get the itch to try a new ball every once in a while, and even though I lose my fair share of balls, and the cover may not be the most durable, it would still take me a while to get through 10 dozen on my own.
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,128 ✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:

I hit 20 pitches with one today (a few each from 15 to 50 yds). I cleaned it up and it looks like new. You using razor blades or something?

You seem angry. Have a snickers Coach
    BB28403 wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Nothing to be angry about. I played 18 yesterday with a 2017 TP5 and it was beat up by round's end. So I played 4 extra holes with a Cut Blue and it still looks like new. Just have my doubts about some of the comments folks make in these threads. Would not be surprised if they were Titleist employees.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,128 ✭✭
    BB28403 wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Nothing to be angry about. I played 18 yesterday with a 2017 TP5 and it was beat up by round's end. So I played 4 extra holes with a Cut Blue and it still looks like new. Just have my doubts about some of the comments folks make in these threads. Would not be surprised if they were Titleist employees.

Could be! Could be
  • OknowsOknows Members Posts: 1,049 ✭✭
    Played a Cut Blue yesterday and really liked it. Maybe a little more spin than I'm used to on irons, but nothing noticeable off the tee. Feels good off of the putter. For $20, heck of a ball.
    Ping G400 MAX at 8* w/ Diamana W 70x
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75
    Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
    Ping i500 3 iron (17*) w/ DG 120 x100
    Titleist 816 H1 23*
    PING i210 5-GW w/ PX LZ 6.5
    Ping Glide 2.0 54* w/ DG s400
    Ping Glide 2.0 58* w/ DG s400
    Evnroll ER1
  • youngunz5840youngunz5840 Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭
    Got a round in today with the cut blue. If you need spin then go with these. I was backspinning wedges off the green which I normally get a one hop stop or hop with some roll out.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,893 ✭✭
    edited Mar 17, 2019 4:20am #376

FWIW, I didn't get any sense of anger either

but what I'd really be surprised about is if any Titleist employee even cared about what's going on in this thread much less bothered to read it (and that's from someone who wont even buy Titleist balls). So I'd suggest being a bit more careful about jumping down that "conspiracy theory" road just because someone else's experience doesn't happen to match yours.

Can't speak to outdoor play, but indoors, it's the final clear coat that is less durable than any other ball I've hit against the impact screen - and that list includes Snell, Bridgestone, and Callaway. The difference is easy to both see and feel and is fairly significant, so much that I wont use them indoors anymore. I'll save the rest for when I can get back on the course.
    Stuart G. wrote:

FWIW, I didn't get any sense of anger either

but what I'd really be surprised about is if any Titleist employee even cared about what's going on in this thread much less bothered to read it (and that's from someone who wont even buy Titleist balls). So I'd suggest being a bit more careful about jumping down that "conspiracy theory" road just because someone else's experience doesn't happen to match yours.

Can't speak to outdoor play, but indoors, it's the final clear coat that is less durable than any other ball I've hit against the impact screen - and that list includes Snell, Bridgestone, and Callaway. The difference is easy to both see and feel and is fairly significant, so much that I wont use them indoors anymore. I'll save the rest for when I can get back on the course.

How does the TP5 do indoors? The reason I ask is it behaves just like you describe outside. It looks like **** after a round with no trees/cart paths. Wondering if it has a similar issue to what you describe.

How does the TP5 do indoors? The reason I ask is it behaves just like you describe outside. It looks like **** after a round with no trees/cart paths. Wondering if it has a similar issue to what you describe.

Can't say, haven't tried the TP5's indoors. Generally I stick to the less expensive balls indoors because of the high wear rate. Closest I got was to play around with some Project (a)'s indoors a few winters ago. Don't remember them wearing out any faster than anything else - but I wouldn't really count on that memory as being overly reliable.
    This might help show what I've seen.  These are the three balls I've been using since I set-up my indoor hitting area.    Didn't count but roughly equal hits on them.

• mbarnockimbarnocki Posts: 152 ✭✭

I'd like to add that I also got some of these to test after watching the TXG video. I can't say I saw the large increase in iron spin. I've been hitting regularly this winter at the PGA superstore practice bays. I took only my 5-9 irons and 3 cut Blue golf balls. The balls were very roughed up within the first 30 shots with my AP2 8 and 9 iron that I have played for over a year now. So not even brand new wedges and I was cutting the cover off. I was looking for a little more spin on my long irons, didn't find it and I will be moving on. Could not play these du to the durability. I will test the Grey next and see if they are any better this weekend.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Diamna D+ 60X
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 Beta 16.5 Fujikura Pro 65S
    Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 20 Hybrid Recoil 780 S
    Nike VR Pro 4 Hybrid PX 6.0
    Titelist 718 Ap2 5-9 PX LZ 5.5
    Vokey 46, 50, 54, 60 PX LX 6.0(46, and 50), KBS Tour V X, S200
    Cleveland Huntington Beach Number 1 35"
    Vice Pro Plus
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,175 ✭✭

Haven't heard much about the cut matte balls. Any love for these?

• sosob34sosob34 Posts: 168 ✭✭

Looks like Cut has a new golf ball on the April Conforming list. DC Cut - more dimples than previous generation. Noticed the current Cut Blue is sold out so maybe this is a new and improved version.

• Miker20890Miker20890 Posts: 250 ✭✭

really disappointed they did away with the bulk buys

• chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 453 ✭✭

I played my first round with cut blue today. A little tip for everyone, the new version is available and in stock on Amazon and qualifies for prime.

The ball performed nicely and has a great feel. The spin is great and the ball handled the wind well. I liked the ball a lot, but the durability of the cover is a concern. My home course has a ton of water and out of bounds so even good rounds usually involve losing a ball or two. Today I didn’t lose any but wound up going through a sleeve because the covers got so torn up. Wedges make the ball dance on the greens but leave their mark on this ball. I think if it was even $5 more a dozen that’d be a deal breaker. For $20 a dozen I think this is a perfectly game-able ball.

• 976-Evil976-Evil Hacker Extraordinaire Posts: 138 ✭✭
    I've got a mixed experience with the Cut Blues. The first couple of sleeves I tried weren't the best quality. I would play one or two holes and they would look like this or worse. This specific ball was after two holes.
    I’ve never had another ball look like this so quickly. It seems the quality is inconsistent as well. Some of them haven't had a mark on them after 9 holes, some have gotten marks like this or worse after one. While I am happy with the ones that are good quality, I probably won't buy any more from them after I run out of these balls.

FWIW, I'm using two year old SM5's (54 & 60) and new JPX900 forged (4-GW). Just my experience. Not a titleist employee either.

@976-Evil said:
    I've got a mixed experience with the Cut Blues. The first couple of sleeves I tried weren't the best quality. I would play one or two holes and they would look like this or worse. This specific ball was after two holes.
    I’ve never had another ball look like this so quickly. It seems the quality is inconsistent as well. Some of them haven't had a mark on them after 9 holes, some have gotten marks like this or worse after one. While I am happy with the ones that are good quality, I probably won't buy any more from them after I run out of these balls.

FWIW, I'm using two year old SM5's (54 & 60) and new JPX900 forged (4-GW). Just my experience. Not a titleist employee either.

I played the Cut Blue today for 27 holes and ball looks just like picture above. I have a dilemma though, outside of durability it was a very good fit for my game. Just not sure I can live with how chewed up it gets so quickly.

• rjr25rjr25 Posts: 247 ✭✭

So did something change on these (Blue) from year to year? I was ready to pull the trigger on some but the durability is concerning me. Having read through the whole thread, seems last year everyone loved them but there seems to be an issue now. Did the ball change? I was eyeing the Blue but after reading everything the Grey might the better choice for my game. Are people seeing this same durability issue with the Grey?

My 2019 Experiment
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S (Cobra LTD waiting impatiently to go back in the bag)
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra King Utility Black OL 21
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 - 34

@rjr25 said:
    So did something change on these (Blue) from year to year? I was ready to pull the trigger on some but the durability is concerning me. Having read through the whole thread, seems last year everyone loved them but there seems to be an issue now. Did the ball change? I was eyeing the Blue but after reading everything the Grey might the better choice for my game. Are people seeing this same durability issue with the Grey?

The updated the Blue to a new version around last November/December.

1789101113»