Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

1444547495052
52

Comments

  • LobberLobber Members  2563WRX Points: 236Posts: 2,563 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #1382
    OK so where would I position the 4/5 to get a bit more elevation? Further up in my stance. Appreciate the input and suggestions. Thanks everyone
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • P.E.P.E. Members  142WRX Points: 83Posts: 142 Fairways
    Joined:  #1383
    Lobber wrote:


    OK so where would I position the 4/5 to get a bit more elevation? Further up in my stance. Appreciate the input and suggestions. Thanks everyone




    Without knowing all your personal swing characteristics the only suggestion I could make is put the ball in the same position that works for all your other SL irons.



    My brief experience with Cobra SLI was that I achieved the best results with my 7 iron setup for the GW,7, and 5 irons with the same swing.



    if I tried to significantly increase my swing speed for the 5 iron to help the distance I had horrible results.
    Posted:
  • LobberLobber Members  2563WRX Points: 236Posts: 2,563 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #1384
    P.E. wrote:

    Lobber wrote:


    OK so where would I position the 4/5 to get a bit more elevation? Further up in my stance. Appreciate the input and suggestions. Thanks everyone




    Without knowing all your personal swing characteristics the only suggestion I could make is put the ball in the same position that works for all your other SL irons.



    My brief experience with Cobra SLI was that I achieved the best results with my 7 iron setup for the GW,7, and 5 irons with the same swing.



    if I tried to significantly increase my swing speed for the 5 iron to help the distance I had horrible results.




    I hear you. I really went after a couple of shots with the 4 and 5 and hooked them badly
    Posted:
  • AhotrainAhotrain Members  84WRX Points: 18Posts: 84 Fairways
    Joined:  #1385
    Just started the single length journey. 2 rounds in I'm enjoying the irons. Low ball flight with 4 and 5 as well but gw has given me the most trouble so far
    Posted:
  • HertsjoatmonHertsjoatmon A in golf theory, D- in golf practical HertfordshireMembers  342WRX Points: 117Handicap: 18Posts: 342 Greens
    Joined:  #1386
    Initial test with a 9i and 5i only 20 range balls as I was short of time, no warm up and about 7*c temperature.



    9i. club speed 67. ball speed 80. launch 24.7*. spin 6159. total yards 104

    5i. club speed 73. ball speed 92. launch 17.6*. spin 3599. total yards 140.



    not my proudest of numbers, but I really just wanted to get a feel for hitting a long short iron and a short long iron.

    Numbers taken with a es14.



    With more time, a warm up and more practice with the set, ill post some numbers up again...
    Posted:
  • g-offg-off Members  413WRX Points: 146Handicap: 16.9Posts: 413 Greens
    Joined:  #1387
    played a couple rounds last week in mb, actually tried it with only 5 irons and may be seriously going minimalist single length, the sand wedge actually works a bit better than I expected, absolutely love it for full shots also, now if I can just find a putter I can get along with.....
    Posted:
    905t

    steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

    eye2 becu

    hoganardi baby ben currently

    always hoing the next best thing
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Sparky14Sparky14 San Clemente CAMembers  477WRX Points: 197Handicap: 4Posts: 477 Greens
    Joined:  #1388
    Got my first two range sessions in with my new F7 OL.  First one was off mats - 8i and GW no problem. GW was flying high as expected. 5i was much higher than expected and had some wicked fade on it. Second day the grass was open. Real happy with the turf interaction. Again, 8i and GW were easy to hit. 5i still had more fade than I like, but it was super consistent, hitting the range green 3/4 of the time.
    Nothing earth shattering in the range results. 

    Stopped off at a golf store on the way back to the office, and darned if there wasn't a nice used F7 OL SW in the bucket for $29.99. MINE!

    36 holes planned for Monday - we'll see how they do. Will also be testing out an new F9 driver against my F8 that day.
    Posted:
  • rjr25rjr25 New HampshireMembers  272WRX Points: 68Handicap: 11Posts: 272 Greens
    Joined:  #1389
    I've been offered a great deal on a second hand set of f8 irons 5-GW with an option of the 22* hybrid as well.



    My question is, is the 4 hybrid @ 22* much longer than the 5 iron @ 22.5* at the same shaft length (although 4 hybrid is graphite and iron steel)? with a 85mph driver swing speed I imagine my gapping will be an issue above the 6 iron. May be the 4 hybrid would be instead of the 5 iron for me rather than as well as... thoughts?



    I wont get to demo them prior to purchase
    last year was my first year playing OL, used the F7 5-GW. I added the 22 hybrid late in the year and have really only hit in in the sims. I was thinking even though the lofts were close the graphite shaft and the hybrid head might over a bigger gap. Unfortunately, while I do hit it longer, its not a whole lot longer to warrant taking up a space in the bag. I did just grab a Cobra OL Utility (adjustable loft, graphite shaft) so hoping that might be a better option for that spot since I can turn it down to 21 or so. I think with your speed you could probably ditch the 5 iron and just go hybrid, or vice versa.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra F8 OL Hybrid 22
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    Evnroll ER2 Midblade 35
  • ChazbChazb Members  1003WRX Points: 139Posts: 1,003 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #1390
    Would the f9 ol be a improvement over the F8s ol and what about graphite shafts.would they be worth the upcharge?
    Posted:
  • ry1808ry1808 Members  437WRX Points: 79Handicap: 0.1Posts: 437 Greens
    Joined:  #1391

    Well after a couple of months extensive work with the Edel SLS-01 irons they just didn't make the cut...

    On the range and launch monitors etc... the numbers and performance was great, I just couldn't make them work in a game situation. Hitting little knock down shots, 3/4 cuts or off uneven lies just didn't perform. Really frustrating as I've been driving the ball brilliantly during this time and not being able to convert my opportunities.

    Ah-well on we go. Great clubs though... :(

    Posted:
  • OsnolaKinnardOsnolaKinnard Members  439WRX Points: 61Handicap: 10Posts: 439 Greens
    Joined:  #1392

    On -, @Ahotrain said:

    Just started the single length journey. 2 rounds in I'm enjoying the irons. Low ball flight with 4 and 5 as well but gw has given me the most trouble so far

    Be patient. When I first got my Edel SLS01 irons...I struggled with the 5 and 6 iron and PW and GW. Once I learned to 'just swing the 7 iron'...all was right with the world.

    I really wanted to SMASH the short 5 and 6 irons and tried to take something off of the PW and GW...just trust them and make a good swing, it will work.

    Posted:
    LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • g-offg-off Members  413WRX Points: 146Handicap: 16.9Posts: 413 Greens
    Joined:  #1393

    these are the best words to heed 7 iron swing for everything

    On -, @OsnolaKinnard said:

    On -, @Ahotrain said:

    Just started the single length journey. 2 rounds in I'm enjoying the irons. Low ball flight with 4 and 5 as well but gw has given me the most trouble so far

    Be patient. When I first got my Edel SLS01 irons...I struggled with the 5 and 6 iron and PW and GW. Once I learned to 'just swing the 7 iron'...all was right with the world.

    I really wanted to SMASH the short 5 and 6 irons and tried to take something off of the PW and GW...just trust them and make a good swing, it will work.

    Posted:
    905t

    steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

    eye2 becu

    hoganardi baby ben currently

    always hoing the next best thing
  • billh17billh17 just happy to play Members  3144WRX Points: 2,592Posts: 3,144 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #1394

    I struggled almost the entire 1st year with mine. spent too much effort trying to ease the P-GW-SW
    and hammering the 5I. The 2nd year,i traded with a guy for the graphite shafts and convinced myself
    to do exactly as stated above and just use a 7 iron swing. They are good irons and if I change,it will still be with the One Length system. Maybe Edel,or Wishon or even new Cobras. but will still be one length for sure.

    Posted:
    Certified Orginal Member#2
    Outlaw Golf Association
    To Heck with the USGA
  • Rich DouglasRich Douglas Members  336WRX Points: 82Posts: 336 Greens
    Joined:  #1395

    On -, @Ahotrain said:

    Just started the single length journey. 2 rounds in I'm enjoying the irons. Low ball flight with 4 and 5 as well but gw has given me the most trouble so far

    Me, too. I put them in my bag more than 2 years ago and the GW was the most difficult. Then I checked the specs and realized it had less bounce than my previous GW. That, in turn, reminded me to be aggressive in the swing and that cleared things up.

    I also had trouble with the LW when I added it. In fact, I took it out for awhile and recently put it back in. I was shanking everything whenever I opened the face. But the problem wasn't the club; it was me. I was letting my elbow fly (on all my shots), but this club was severe enough to expose it. Fixing that not only rid me of my flop shot shanks, but cut away the over-the-top pulls I was getting from the rest of the bag.

    Posted:
    Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
    2W: TM Mini Driver
    3H: Ping G410 (19 degrees)
    Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-LW
    Putter: Bloodline (mallet)
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
  • g-offg-off Members  413WRX Points: 146Handicap: 16.9Posts: 413 Greens
    Joined:  #1396

    Any of you with edels have to deal with customer service? My 6 iron is separating at the hosel and ferrule, just realized shaft has twisted in the head, anyone else have this happen?

    Posted:
    905t

    steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

    eye2 becu

    hoganardi baby ben currently

    always hoing the next best thing
  • P.E.P.E. Members  142WRX Points: 83Posts: 142 Fairways
    Joined:  #1397

    Big day tomorrow!
    Heading to GT with my new (to me) Sterling Irons to see if I can still swing a golf club.
    It is a 4-LW set and I am really interested in seeing if I can get the 4 iron to work in terms of height.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • JKCJKC Members  6WRX Points: 12Posts: 6 Bunkers
    Joined:  #1398

    This may not be one length exactly, but after playing OL irons for a few seasons I’ve had this idea of using something like the Wishon 775HS hybrid and building a one length set of 3h, 4h, 5h hybrids at a length of something like 39” and then playing my irons from 6-SW at 37”.

    Anyone ever tried something like this in their own bag? And if so, was the gapping playable or did the hybrids seem to all go around the same distance? I guess the closest comparison would be someone playing the Cobra One Length Hybrids in 3, 4, and 5.

    Posted:
  • rjr25rjr25 New HampshireMembers  272WRX Points: 68Handicap: 11Posts: 272 Greens
    Joined:  #1399
    JKC said:

    This may not be one length exactly, but after playing OL irons for a few seasons I’ve had this idea of using something like the Wishon 775HS hybrid and building a one length set of 3h, 4h, 5h hybrids at a length of something like 39” and then playing my irons from 6-SW at 37”.

    Anyone ever tried something like this in their own bag? And if so, was the gapping playable or did the hybrids seem to all go around the same distance? I guess the closest comparison would be someone playing the Cobra One Length Hybrids in 3, 4, and 5.

    Pretty sure I have read about people doing something similar. I know for me, I am not getting a whole lot of difference out of the top of the bag. Recently got a Cobra OL Utility and put it against the Cobra OL Hybrid (21 vs 23) and was not seeing a lot of difference yardage wise. Might just be my swing speed. But maybe the longer length just for those would help. The 37" or whatever it is seems to begin to lose gapping and yardage for me no matter the loft at the top of the bag. 39" might help.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 - 9 degree - Atmos Black TS 6S
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5
    Cobra F8 Hybrid 19
    Cobra F8 OL Hybrid 22
    Cobra F7 OL 5&6
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 7-GW
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54SS & 58ES
    Evnroll ER2 Midblade 35
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25403WRX Points: 2,562Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,403 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #1400

    Numbers don't lie...unless you're a politician and need them to. Since moving to the F8 SL's 6 months ago, my index is down nearly 7 shots, GIR is up to 6.5/round, misses are much more playable and my confidence with any iron in hand is way higher. Even the guys I play with who know my swing is the anti Adam Scott have commented on the consistency. The hybrids are gone from the bag though as that's the one adjustment that hasn't worked. Big fan of the SL concept and it's going to take something really special to replace them in the bag.

    Posted:
  • P.E.P.E. Members  142WRX Points: 83Posts: 142 Fairways
    Joined:  #1401

    On -, @P.E. said:

    Big day tomorrow!
    Heading to GT with my new (to me) Sterling Irons to see if I can still swing a golf club.
    It is a 4-LW set and I am really interested in seeing if I can get the 4 iron to work in terms of height.

    Well I walked into GT and walked out so my swing session was technically a success.
    I am recovering from hip replacement surgery on both hips and this explains some things.
    I have practically no weight transfer so my swing is all arm swing.
    How ever I am a little baffled with some of the results.
    PW - Club Head Speed 58 Azimuth -6.25 Carry 109
    7I - Club Head Speed 65 Azimuth -5.23 Carry 137
    4I - Club Head Speed 70 Azimuth -4.84 Carry 142

    The things that really puzzle me are
    1) how do clubs that are identical in weight and length have such varying Club Head Speeds with the same swing
    2) why is the Azimuth a negative value (club face pointing left at impact) when it appears to me at address to be square to my target line

    The Club Head Speed variance may be a reflection of me not wanting to really launch the PW in the hitting bay but why the difference between the 7I and 4I?
    Carry distance between the PW and 7I seems ok but how can that be with a 7 MPH difference in Club Head Speed?
    Can 4I Carry distance possibly can be explained with the relatively low Club Head Speed?
    Is it possible that the negative Azimuth is a combination of playing Ping Irons for 30 years and a lack of rotation in my current swing?
    Your thoughts and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

    Posted:
  • OsnolaKinnardOsnolaKinnard Members  439WRX Points: 61Handicap: 10Posts: 439 Greens
    Joined:  #1402

    On -, @g-off said:

    Any of you with edels have to deal with customer service? My 6 iron is separating at the hosel and ferrule, just realized shaft has twisted in the head, anyone else have this happen?

    I have had zero issues with my Irons...that being said, give them a call, I'd bet money they'll get you squared away in a hurry.

    Posted:
    LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • g-offg-off Members  413WRX Points: 146Handicap: 16.9Posts: 413 Greens
    Joined:  #1403

    update, 6 iron arrived liberty hill on monday shipped back out this morning! That is what I would call a quick turnaround, here's a shout out to edel customer service!!!!

    Posted:
    905t

    steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

    eye2 becu

    hoganardi baby ben currently

    always hoing the next best thing
  • MychMych Members  2211WRX Points: 411Posts: 2,211 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #1404

    Still plugging along with my SL's. Trying out a move from CP2 Midsize grips to Jumbo's, hoping to reduce grip pressure and make my right hand more passive.

    Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    WITB: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Evnroll ER3
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members  2171WRX Points: 297Handicap: 1.9Posts: 2,171 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #1405

    Yeah I'm going on year 3 with my SL. Don't think I will ever go back.

    Posted:
  • J_TizzleJ_Tizzle Hello Members  3532WRX Points: 206Posts: 3,532 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #1406

    Got my first few rounds in with my SL 5-G in the cobra black with the $-tapers.

    I do like a lot about them so far. I love the change back to forged clubs from playing GI for the past 4-5 years. The biggest things I’ve had issues with is the 5 and 6 irons off the fairway (great off the tees) and just the height of the shots. I’ve also struggled a little bit with the p and g wedges as it just seems like they’re not quite a perfect fit. I seem to hit them a little heel heavy and they go left. Sure some of that is just not used to them yet.

    Going to get a bit more practicing in with them. But so far I really like them. I could also see myself maybe adding a little length to the long irons and taking a tiny bit away from the short irons just to make them feel a bit less awkward. I know this kinda defeats the purpose of the true SL concept. But I think that could really make these a game changer for myself.

    Posted:
    G410 10.5* LST - just whatever at this point - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

    https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX  25403WRX Points: 2,562Handicap: 2 ManyPosts: 25,403 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #1407

    On -, @J-Tizzle said:

    Got my first few rounds in with my SL 5-G in the cobra black with the $-tapers.

    I do like a lot about them so far. I love the change back to forged clubs from playing GI for the past 4-5 years. The biggest things I’ve had issues with is the 5 and 6 irons off the fairway (great off the tees) and just the height of the shots. I’ve also struggled a little bit with the p and g wedges as it just seems like they’re not quite a perfect fit. I seem to hit them a little heel heavy and they go left. Sure some of that is just not used to them yet.

    Going to get a bit more practicing in with them. But so far I really like them. I could also see myself maybe adding a little length to the long irons and taking a tiny bit away from the short irons just to make them feel a bit less awkward. I know this kinda defeats the purpose of the true SL concept. But I think that could really make these a game changer for myself.

    Went through the same challenge at the top and bottom end of the bag. Once you get use to them, which only takes a few rounds, you'll develop trust and it will no longer be something to think about.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • mshankmshank New game ... playing for position ClubWRX  131WRX Points: 64Handicap: 8.5Posts: 131 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #1408

    I’ll give my update...

    I’ve been on SL for about 15 months and consistently play between a 6. I’ve been a good ball striker for awhile and irons are a confidence builder for me - especially 7i and down. That’s what ultimately drew me to the SL concept. My SL set is 4-Gw Cobra Forged Tec Black with Recoils. Going into this I assumed my difficult transition would be the PW/GW and I would absolutely love the mid/long irons. I can comfortably say I was completely wrong - my findings were the complete opposite. The GW/PW are very easy to control the flight and pretty easy to work either way. My only gripe with them is the distance control is more difficult for me - so much for the GW that I feel like I need to add additional wedges to cover. Now for the 4/5/6 irons - I really found these easy to over-swing and ultimately tug. Now if I got in the right mind and put a legit swing on the ball the flight was true and produced a great mid launch mid spin iron.

    As this season is getting going I was focusing more on tempo to avoid the over swing. While it is helping on the over-swing it has resulted my miss being a lazy flail right because I didn’t finish my swing. Now I know it’s early in the year but I did pick up a set of new Apex pros to try out. First and foremost it is the inner club ho coming out but i also wanted to put them up against my Cobras.

    I will update with my findings - SL vs VL after over a years use or just look out for a add on the Classifieds with either set in the coming weeks lol!

    Posted:
  • J_TizzleJ_Tizzle Hello Members  3532WRX Points: 206Posts: 3,532 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #1409

    On -, @mshank said:

    I’ll give my update...

    I’ve been on SL for about 15 months and consistently play between a 6. I’ve been a good ball striker for awhile and irons are a confidence builder for me - especially 7i and down. That’s what ultimately drew me to the SL concept. My SL set is 4-Gw Cobra Forged Tec Black with Recoils. Going into this I assumed my difficult transition would be the PW/GW and I would absolutely love the mid/long irons. I can comfortably say I was completely wrong - my findings were the complete opposite. The GW/PW are very easy to control the flight and pretty easy to work either way. My only gripe with them is the distance control is more difficult for me - so much for the GW that I feel like I need to add additional wedges to cover. Now for the 4/5/6 irons - I really found these easy to over-swing and ultimately tug. Now if I got in the right mind and put a legit swing on the ball the flight was true and produced a great mid launch mid spin iron.

    As this season is getting going I was focusing more on tempo to avoid the over swing. While it is helping on the over-swing it has resulted my miss being a lazy flail right because I didn’t finish my swing. Now I know it’s early in the year but I did pick up a set of new Apex pros to try out. First and foremost it is the inner club ho coming out but i also wanted to put them up against my Cobras.

    I will update with my findings - SL vs VL after over a years use or just look out for a add on the Classifieds with either set in the coming weeks lol!

    Thanks for the reply on this! I could definitely see myself over swinging the 5/6 irons and getting very poor contact with them when trying to hit a full shot. When I'm taking extra club and punching through the wind I hit them great.

    I do think I'm going to go with slightly longer wedges, but variable length ones for the sand and lob wedges. I'm pretty good around the greens usually, so I don't know if I want to totally revamp that part of my game to fit the SL wedges. Plus, I can't stand watching BAD chip, lol. His crazy stiff armed chipping/pitching just seems to take the feel out of that part of the game, and thats one thing that I actually consider a strength.

    Posted:
    G410 10.5* LST - just whatever at this point - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

    https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/
  • Stevens24Stevens24 Members  156WRX Points: 91Posts: 156 Fairways
    Joined:  #1410

    BAD chipping has less to do with the single length and more to do with his single plane swing.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • g-offg-off Members  413WRX Points: 146Handicap: 16.9Posts: 413 Greens
    Joined:  #1411

    shout back out to edel for customer service, mailed my club back to get reglued last monday got it back today! awesome service in my mind!!!!

    Posted:
    905t

    steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

    eye2 becu

    hoganardi baby ben currently

    always hoing the next best thing
52

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.