Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

1424344454648»

Comments

• g-offg-off Members Posts: 335 ✭✭

any of you tried minimalist with the single lengths? I've been experimenting since the first of the year and am still up in the air about the idea

epic flash driver

steelhead xr heavenwood

steelhead xr 9 wood

edel sls 01 5,7,9,gap

hogan tk 58

putter rotates daily

always hoing the next best thing
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,804 ✭✭

@g-off said:
    any of you tried minimalist with the single lengths? I've been experimenting since the first of the year and am still up in the air about the idea

Yes, my 6 club setup is 3/5/7/9 all at 7i length, a 53* wedge, and a putter. Great for an enjoyable walking 9/18 after work.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Nike MC-02W
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Nike MC-02W ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,804 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 4:57pm #1414

There are some interesting Bryson Dechambeau tidbits in this article.
    https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/04/17/golf-clubs-equipment-bryson-dechambeau-cobra-drastic-change-to-grip-weights.html
    Ignoring the actual topic (grip weights) the pictures are interesting. The wedges start at 48 and there's a picture of a King Forged Tour 9i rather than the King Forged One that his iron set has been. That would seemingly indicate that he doesn't like the short irons (9i/pw) in the Forged One set as much as he likes the single length long irons.
    I found it interesting because I play normal length wedges, and just swapped my Forged One PW for a Forged Tour PW to try to get back a little more of a "wedge" feel in my short (<140yd) game.
    Has he ever talked about playing different irons at the bottom of the set? Is that 9i made to his single length, or played shorter? I don't think I've ever seen that in any WITB listings.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Nike MC-02W
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Nike MC-02W ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭

I'm just starting my single length journey. I received my Wishon Sterling G-5 10 days ago. I live in NY State and the weather has been chilly, the ground soft, and the wind blowing like crazy. To add to the uncertainty, I have recently joined a new course, built on a hillside. A lot of shots are straight uphill, or straight downhill, so trying to figure out my distances has been a problem. So far it seems that my 6i goes as far (although not as high) as my existing 5H, and my 5i is going as far as my existing 4H (again, not as high)...I haven't figured out what this means in the long run for my bag. Right now I'm just trying to learn to make the same swing with 7 different clubs. Very interesting. I am neither discouraged, nor overwhelmed with optimism at this point. I think it's going to work for the better. I am enjoying the process.

FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello Members Posts: 3,387 ✭✭

@Mych said:
    There are some interesting Bryson Dechambeau tidbits in this article.
    https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/04/17/golf-clubs-equipment-bryson-dechambeau-cobra-drastic-change-to-grip-weights.html
    Ignoring the actual topic (grip weights) the pictures are interesting. The wedges start at 48 and there's a picture of a King Forged Tour 9i rather than the King Forged One that his iron set has been. That would seemingly indicate that he doesn't like the short irons (9i/pw) in the Forged One set as much as he likes the single length long irons.
    I found it interesting because I play normal length wedges, and just swapped my Forged One PW for a Forged Tour PW to try to get back a little more of a "wedge" feel in my short (<140yd) game.
    Has he ever talked about playing different irons at the bottom of the set? Is that 9i made to his single length, or played shorter? I don't think I've ever seen that in any WITB listings.

Interesting stuff in there. Also notice the wedges don't have all that crap on the heel side. Maybe the change to the lighter set up could help improve the wedge game.

G400 8.5* - G400 14.5* - Baffler 19.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Gorge Stealth 56* (@55*), 60* - BG F22
  • roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 469 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 21, 2019 4:00pm #1417

Just played my first round of the year, yesterday.
    Last season I had VL Forged Tec Blacks in the bag and did well. I had a decent season but seemed struggled a bit with the longer irons. Several inconsistent rounds with them.
    This year I swapped out the 5&6 irons for one length to match the 7 iron length.
    I had a great day of iron play and am looking forward to playing this season with my OL 5-7 and VL in the rest of the set.
    One thing I did do was order my OL 5&6 in the $-Taper 120 and have the 125s in the rest to get a slightly higher ball flight and a wee bit softer feel.
    Never been so easy to hit the longer irons.
    Rox

Post edited by roxald on
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,565 ✭✭

Anybody have OL with Px shafts in them? Currently playing OL F8s with graphite but the Px is my favorite. Curious because I’m seriously considering ordering a set, loving the OL Cobras!

@roxald said:
    Last season I had VL Forged Tec Blacks in the bag and did well. I had a decent season but seemed struggled a bit with the longer irons. Several inconsistent rounds with them.
    This year I swapped out the 5&6 irons for one length to match the 7 iron length.
    I had a great day of iron play and am looking forward to playing this season with my OL 5-7 and VL in the rest of the set.
    One thing I did do was order my OL 5&6 in the $-Taper 120 and have the 125s in the rest to get a slightly higher ball flight and a wee bit softer feel.
    Rox

I was actually thinking the same thing. I hit the 6-G fine, but the 4 and 5 irons go awful low. I have the $-Tapers in the irons and I can hit the 4i about 220, but its 25+ in roll, which is not exactly what I"m looking for on those kind of shots usually. I was debating about ordering some C-Taper Lites for the long irons to just get a bit more launch on them, or I guess I could do some research on what graphite shafts would help fix the launch on those longer irons.

G400 8.5* - G400 14.5* - Baffler 19.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Gorge Stealth 56* (@55*), 60* - BG F22
  • irish peteirish pete Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

I rarely post here, but I've read all 48 pages of this and made the jump into single length by buying a set of Pinhawks 4-LW. They are not in yet, but I am really excited to get them going. Consistency has always plagued me. I am not sure if the single length sand wedge and loft wedge will survive or not, but I hope they do. Talk about making things simple.

Driver Swing
    Driving Iron Swing
    4-LW Swing

Hoping this is the case!

• roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 469 ClubWRX

@J-Tizzle said:

@roxald said:
    Rox

I was actually thinking the same thing. I hit the 6-G fine, but the 4 and 5 irons go awful low. I have the $-Tapers in the irons and I can hit the 4i about 220, but its 25+ in roll, which is not exactly what I"m looking for on those kind of shots usually. I was debating about ordering some C-Taper Lites for the long irons to just get a bit more launch on them, or I guess I could do some research on what graphite shafts would help fix the launch on those longer irons.

C-Taper Lites will launch and spin more, for sure. If possible, try to demo first. Those are two very different shafts, IMHO.
    I tried a C-Taper Lite XS and didn’t get along with them. Definitely a softer feel and loose compared to the $-Tapers. I was just too inconsistent with them.
    The 120s worked great as they are only slightly higher launching and very close in static weight to the 125s and the $-Tapers have a much different feel compared to the CTLs. I’ll be honest, I also tried the FTBs in the $-Taper 130’s and could not tell the difference compared to the 125s.
    Rox

Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5

@roxald said:

@J-Tizzle said:

@roxald said:
    Rox

C-Taper Lites will launch and spin more, for sure. If possible, try to demo first. Those are two very different shafts, IMHO.
    I tried a C-Taper Lite XS and didn’t get along with them. Definitely a softer feel and loose compared to the $-Tapers. I was just too inconsistent with them.
    The 120s worked great as they are only slightly higher launching and very close in static weight to the 125s and the $-Tapers have a much different feel compared to the CTLs. I’ll be honest, I also tried the FTBs in the $-Taper 130’s and could not tell the difference compared to the 125s.
    Rox

Thanks for the input. I'm going to do a bit of research to see if I can find a few options to try out to get the launch up. I really like the SL concept so far, so just fiddling with that top end of my bag will be biggest struggle. If I can't get it to work, I have several DI/Hybrids I can replace the 4i with if necessary, so its not a make or break for the idea for me.

@J-Tizzle said:

@roxald said:

@J-Tizzle said:

@roxald said:
    Rox

Rox

Thanks for the input. I'm going to do a bit of research to see if I can find a few options to try out to get the launch up. I really like the SL concept so far, so just fiddling with that top end of my bag will be biggest struggle. If I can't get it to work, I have several DI/Hybrids I can replace the 4i with if necessary, so its not a make or break for the idea for me.

Also, my 4i is actually the F9, so its a different beast anyways. I wanted it to act more like a driving iron/tee shot club, than necessarily a 2nd shot club. So if it feels/acts a bit different, I can probably live with it.

• CougarRedCougarRed Members Posts: 61 ✭✭

Last September, after testing the Cobra Forged, Cobra Max, Cobra F8 and Edel one length irons, I bought the following set:

4i-6i Cobra F8 OL graphite (UST 460 Recoil), regular flex, midsize grip
    7i-GW Cobra F8 OL steel (stock TT fighted), regular flex, midsize grip

Really enjoying the clubs. Very easy to hit. Very easy to play after a layoff.

• nikuknikuk Members Posts: 300 ✭✭

Havent posted in a while but have managed to get in the first few rounds of the year.
    I have been playing single length for 4 or 5 years now (pinhawks, then sterlings) and I maintain that I will never go back.

There are only two occasions where I occasionally get frustrated with these:

• they still feel a little light when trying to manufacture a chi-pitch sometimes.
    • I still occasionally try to make a 4i swing instead of a 7i swing.

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

• nikuknikuk Members Posts: 300 ✭✭
    edited May 1, 2019 4:36pm #1426

@irish pete said:
    I rarely post here, but I've read all 48 pages of this and made the jump into single length by buying a set of Pinhawks 4-LW. They are not in yet, but I am really excited to get them going. Consistency has always plagued me. I am not sure if the single length sand wedge and loft wedge will survive or not, but I hope they do. Talk about making things simple.

Driver Swing
    Driving Iron Swing
    4-LW Swing

Hoping this is the case!

I started with Pinhawks ~5 years ago and I did like them very much, I even played their woods a while. In fact I built a new set of Pinhawks for someone just last summer.

I've always been pretty dependent on my LW for short game, mainly because its the club I use to fritter about in the back yard.
    When I went to single length I stayed with my traditional length GW, SW & LW - they were basically matched length anyways, though not matched weight. After a year I tried fully matching wedges and it was ...okay. Eventually I realized that I use GW & SW for full swing WAY more than short game so I went to matched 4i-SW. I actually saw better results in my index pretty quickly. I still carry a 'traditional' LW and use it for almost all of my short game (and full swing) though.

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

• irish peteirish pete Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

@nikuk said:

@irish pete said:

Driver Swing
    Driving Iron Swing
    4-LW Swing

Hoping this is the case!

I started with Pinhawks ~5 years ago and I did like them very much, I even played their woods a while. In fact I built a new set of Pinhawks for someone just last summer.

I've always been pretty dependent on my LW for short game, mainly because its the club I use to fritter about in the back yard.
    When I went to single length I stayed with my traditional length GW, SW & LW - they were basically matched length anyways, though not matched weight. After a year I tried fully matching wedges and it was ...okay. Eventually I realized that I use GW & SW for full swing WAY more than short game so I went to matched 4i-SW. I actually saw better results in my index pretty quickly. I still carry a 'traditional' LW and use it for almost all of my short game (and full swing) though.

The LW was the club that took the mental block off my mind the other day at the range. Finally swung it normal and flushed it right at the target. I immediately grabbed my 4 iron and put the exact same swing on it. Flush contact and launched right at my target.

I also think these clubs will go hand in hand with rule of 12 chipping, so I’m going to try and make these wedges work as well.

• steveoly32steveoly32 ClubWRX Posts: 52 ClubWRX

Man the SL hybrid is so weird that it's awesome. Super easy to hit! I have the F8 19* with stock Rogue shaft. While it's high and straight it does seem to lack quite a bit of distance as compared to my Apex 2019 19* hybrid. Anyone have a SL hybrid and either gone to a heavier shaft or added lead tape to increase weight and perhaps distance?

Cobra F9 9* GD Tour AD DI 6
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* GD Tour AD DI 7
    Callaway Apex Hybrid PX Catalyst 70
    Cobra F8 One Length Hybrid Aldila Rogue Pro
    Callaway Rogue Pro 5-PW KBS Tour V
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52*, 56* Stock DG
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60* Stock KBS
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • 9woodfan9woodfan Members Posts: 1,437 ✭✭

Still rocking the SL Sterlings...
    6-G Sterlings (refinished raw) 54-58-62 SM5 (Black Ox) - All clubs with recoils, oversized Winn grips, and playing at 36.4"
    I jump to stock VL Cobra F8 King 4 hybrid and 5 wood and then a trimmed down and heavier weighted G30 driver (nothing seems to beat it).
    I have one open spot for the 5 iron (and area I usually have trouble) which I think I'll fill with another Cobra hybrid.
    What I loved was the start of the season.... it took 1/2 a bucket and I felt I picked up right where I left off.

• LodestoneLodestone Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭

@9woodfan said:
    6-G Sterlings (refinished raw) 54-58-62 SM5 (Black Ox) - All clubs with recoils, oversized Winn grips, and playing at 36.4"
    I jump to stock VL Cobra F8 King 4 hybrid and 5 wood and then a trimmed down and heavier weighted G30 driver (nothing seems to beat it).
    I have one open spot for the 5 iron (and area I usually have trouble) which I think I'll fill with another Cobra hybrid.
    What I loved was the start of the season.... it took 1/2 a bucket and I felt I picked up right where I left off.

Glad to hear you are liking your Sterlings. I'm just starting out on my journey... like you, the 5i is probably not going to make the cut...I am not convinced I have the right shafts. They feel a bit "dead" to me.....I may return to the fitter later in the summer and see what he has to say.

FORE RIGHT!!!!
  • kenstlkenstl Members Posts: 423 ✭✭

@9woodfan said:

Agree about picking up right where you leave off. I am 3 yrs in, added the 5 iron and LW this year to my sterling set, no plans to change as my "misses" have never been better.

Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW
    Evnroll Arm Lock Putter
  • articaartica Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭

@boggyman said:
    Anybody have OL with Px shafts in them? Currently playing OL F8s with graphite but the Px is my favorite. Curious because I’m seriously considering ordering a set, loving the OL Cobras!

@boggyman said:

M1 460 9.5 - Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65g 04
    - Testing G400 9* - Tour 65 stiff shaft
    M1 3W - Oban Kiyoshi White 65g 04
    M1 5w - Oban Devotion 75g 04
    PXG 0311xf - 4-GW Steelfiber i125 Stiff
    RTX 3.0 CB - 54*, 58* TG - DG Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Select 1.5
    WITB Link
  • articaartica Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭

@boggyman said:

I do. I have Edel SLS 4-PW set with PX 5.5.
    I play them at 36” for pw-7i, 36.5” 6-4i
    No issues with flight, spins a tad much but overall switching to the PX has made it tha much more consistent. I started with the Paterson shafts but I never liked the feel. Switched to recoil 110’s and flight/launch was all over the place along with dispersion. Went to PX and I’m in the sweet spot now.

M1 460 9.5 - Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65g 04
    - Testing G400 9* - Tour 65 stiff shaft
    M1 3W - Oban Kiyoshi White 65g 04
    M1 5w - Oban Devotion 75g 04
    PXG 0311xf - 4-GW Steelfiber i125 Stiff
    RTX 3.0 CB - 54*, 58* TG - DG Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Select 1.5
    WITB Link
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,105 ✭✭

@artica said:

@boggyman said:

No issues with flight, spins a tad much but overall switching to the PX has made it tha much more consistent. I started with the Paterson shafts but I never liked the feel. Switched to recoil 110’s and flight/launch was all over the place along with dispersion. Went to PX and I’m in the sweet spot now.

I do as well. PX 6.0. I use the shafts to try and bring the flight down (along with a 36.5" playing length) on my higher-lofted clubs, and hybrids to get some height back on the lower end.

I love em.

Thanks. > @artica said:

@boggyman said:

@artica said:

@boggyman said:

Thanks. > @Noke said:

@artica said:

@boggyman said:

I do as well. PX 6.0. I use the shafts to try and bring the flight down (along with a 36.5" playing length) on my higher-lofted clubs, and hybrids to get some height back on the lower end.

I love em.