Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

What's the cheapest country to practice golf in that also has a good internet connection?

In your experience, which country is the cheapest to play golf in (e.g. buy clubs, hit balls, and play rounds), that also has reliable internet?

Comments

• irvtrainirvtrain Denver, COMembers Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably here in the US. Just look around. Otherwise maybe India, Central or South America.
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When you want to count all of that I would say that it is the US by far. If you take out equipment prices then Australia and Ireland would make strong showings.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,405 ClubWRX
    LOL, looking for a base for stay at home telemarketing? ;-)

Don't call me!
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This qualifies as one of the stranger posts I’ve seen here....

I’m trying to figure out the scenario as to why anyone would would ask this question.

Perhaps a free lance writer that loves Golf and doesn’t have much money?

Retiring early on a limited savings and wants great golf with solid internet **** access?

Has tour aspirations and wants to practice cheap but loves 2 day shipping from Amazon?
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,405 ClubWRX

I’m trying to figure out the scenario as to why anyone would would ask this question.

Retiring early on a limited savings and wants great golf with solid internet **** access?

Has tour aspirations and wants to practice cheap but loves 2 day shipping from Amazon?

HaHa - U.S. = FBI
  • TajBTajB Members Posts: 5

irvtrain wrote:

Probably here in the US. Just look around. Otherwise maybe India, Central or South America.

Thanks! I'm currently in Chiang Mai, Thailand and while it's quite cheap, if you're not of retirement age it's difficult to plant your flag long term as an American here because of the strict visa regulations and I'm not about to do visa runs every month. Central and Latin America are looking like my next destination, thanks for the reply.

Hawkeye77 wrote:

LOL, looking for a base for stay at home telemarketing? ;-)

Don't call me!

LOL! Too late, you're already on my list of contacts!

Ugh, I guess certain elements of your 1st and 3rd line of reasoning come closest to vaguely resembling the correct answer.
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Have you looked into Vietnam?
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
    p3ga wrote:

Yeah I have, and as an American I'll face the same problems as in Thailand with trying to stay long term (6 months to a year). A lot of the visa requirements in SE Asian countries scream "WE DON'T WANT YOUNG WESTENERS STAYING LONG TERM!"
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    TajB wrote:

p3ga wrote:

Yeah I have, and as an American I'll face the same problems as in Thailand with trying to stay long term (6 months to a year). A lot of the visa requirements in SE Asian countries scream "WE DON'T WANT YOUNG WESTENERS STAYING LONG TERM!"
    Hmmm.

I've heard that some places actually call that "racist".

Good luck!
  • garethwgarethw Members Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭
    TajB wrote:

p3ga wrote:

I know what you mean re the visa problems here in Thailand. What about the Philippines? I think you get a 3 year visa straight away.
    Ping G400 MAX 9*.
    Ping G 3 wood.
    Taylormade Aeroburner 4h.
    Ping I200 4-PW.
    Vokey SM6, 50F, 54S, 58K.
    Cameron & Crown Newport M2.
    vernon wrote:

TajB wrote:

p3ga wrote:

Hmmm.

Good luck!

Nah, not racist. If you're over 50 and retired, it becomes pretty easy to settle here. I have a new YouTube channel and I just made a video on this today. The impression I get is, they don't want a bunch of young Westerners coming here to settle down. In Bangkok, you'll see a ton of college kids acting like complete morons (being drunk in the streets, urinating in public, and just disrespecting the culture and country). I see it as trying to preserve their culture.

garethw wrote:

I know what you mean re the visa problems here in Thailand. What about the Philippines? I think you get a 3 year visa straight away.

Out of all the Asian countries, Philippines seems the easiest to settle down in for young Americans. I know they have a 6 month tourist visa, I'm not sure about a 3 year one. It's still on my radar, but I have to do more research. I've heard there's a lot of scamming and their internet is all that great.
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on my understanding of nations south of here I think Panama or Chile are worth a look. Panama, though, doesn't seem cheap.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Based on my understanding of nations south of here I think Panama or Chile are worth a look. Panama, though, doesn't seem cheap.

definitely not US... compared to growing third world countries : Golf is a luxury sport in many third world countries so be sure course isn't private and impossible to get on before you migrate. My choice is Belize.
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    TajB wrote:

p3ga wrote:

1. too much competition for the young thai ladies..2. sadly too many older westerners also partake in paedophilia away from home.
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    TajB wrote:

vernon wrote:

TajB wrote:

p3ga wrote:

Hmmm.

Good luck!

Nah, not racist. If you're over 50 and retired, it becomes pretty easy to settle here. I have a new YouTube channel and I just made a video on this today. The impression I get is, they don't want a bunch of young Westerners coming here to settle down. In Bangkok, you'll see a ton of college kids acting like complete morons (being drunk in the streets, urinating in public, and just disrespecting the culture and country). I see it as trying to preserve their culture.

garethw wrote:

Out of all the Asian countries, Philippines seems the easiest to settle down in for young Americans. I know they have a 6 month tourist visa, I'm not sure about a 3 year one. It's still on my radar, but I have to do more research. I've heard there's a lot of scamming and their internet is all that great.
    Preserving one's culture. What a great idea!
  • BarracudaBarracuda Members Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USA, maybe the uk?
  • BarracudaBarracuda Members Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking into south America, only country with cheap courses and golf in most parts is Argentina. Probably the nicest city in south America is Buenos Aires.

If you are looking for something more calm with no surprises, Chile and Uruguay.
    edited Feb 5, 2018 #19
    [background=transparent]
    Man_O_War wrote:
    [/background]
    [background=transparent]1. too much competition for the young thai ladies..2. sadly too many older westerners also partake in paedophilia away from home.
    [/background]

[background=transparent]Yes, some of these Thai women are quite lovely. Quite feminine and there's a high premium placed on staying at a healthy weight.[/background]

[background=transparent]
    vernon wrote:

Preserving one's culture. What a great idea!
    [/background]

I agree completely. So as long as your culture is worth preserving, you're inhabiting a land that's rightful yours, and you have a moral leg to stand on when demanding your culture be respected by the masses in said land.

Barracuda wrote:

If you are looking into south America, only country with cheap courses and golf in most parts is Argentina. Probably the nicest city in south America is Buenos Aires.

If you are looking for something more calm with no surprises, Chile and Uruguay.

Lol... Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay would probably be my last choices in all of Latin America. But, as I age life has taught me that the universe couldn't give a rat's backside about what I want... Sometimes you have to do what makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
  • scottc25scottc25 Members Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poker player by chance???
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • mickycmickyc Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Very suprised no one has mentioned South Africa yet. Spectacular courses at (by global standards) dirt cheap prices.

Not sure the visa requirements though

Mike
  • DBillDBill Members Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mickyc wrote:

Very suprised no one has mentioned South Africa yet. Spectacular courses at (by global standards) dirt cheap prices.

Not sure the visa requirements though

Mike

Hopefully they figure that corruption and president problem they have first.
  • XYB34AXYB34A Unregistered Posts: 2,446
    depends on how much you have to pay for body guards and AK47 or M16 or M4 rounds. they kidnap americans in foreign countries. so might not be such a great idea to save money
  • mickycmickyc Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Wow. Ok must remember to get that extra body guard and pay the ransom for my friends that come visit.

Seriously. Don’t think there has ever been a kidnapped tourist in Sa (apart from the honeymoon murder of a wife which was proved to have been orchestrated by her newly wed husband) .

I certainly don’t have body guards or any firearms and have lived here all 42 years of my life. Certainly feels a lot safer to me than Vegas, Times Square, Boston marathon finish line...but hey, if the thought of world class golf on European tour courses all at under $100 (visitor rates) doesn’t do it for you with caddies that would cost you a whopping $20 per round, course membership at a top 5 (European tour event host) course for $1200 p.a doesn’t appeal to you then by all means give it a skip.

Anyone who is interested in venturing into these hazardous lands by all means let me know. More than happy to give you some tips.

Mike
  • irvtrainirvtrain Denver, COMembers Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mickyc wrote:

Wow. Ok must remember to get that extra body guard and pay the ransom for my friends that come visit.

Seriously. Don't think there has ever been a kidnapped tourist in Sa (apart from the honeymoon murder of a wife which was proved to have been orchestrated by her newly wed husband) .

I certainly don't have body guards or any firearms and have lived here all 42 years of my life. Certainly feels a lot safer to me than Vegas, Times Square, Boston marathon finish line...but hey, if the thought of world class golf on European tour courses all at under $100 (visitor rates) doesn't do it for you with caddies that would cost you a whopping $20 per round, course membership at a top 5 (European tour event host) course for $1200 p.a doesn't appeal to you then by all means give it a skip.

Anyone who is interested in venturing into these hazardous lands by all means let me know. More than happy to give you some tips.

Mike

Well said! Funny, It's usually the people who have never stepped outside the US that complain how dangerous other countries are. When in fact the US is one of the most dangerous first world countries.
  • danman44danman44 chinaMembers Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

dont know why people are saying Philippines.. I used to live there .. terrible internet expensive golf on courses that average to poor plus they are in the middle of nowhere plus visas are a pain unless youre retirement age. golf is a luxery sport in asia.. I live in china now actually near to mission hills but no way id pay 300bucks a round to play there as it most often beat to **** conditions because of the weather.. Vietnam courses are much better but also visas are hard unless youre older.. cheap golf is muni golf.. so places like Australia and the USA would tick most boxes

• MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭

What about Spain and Portugal?

• golfsnakegolfsnake Members Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2019 5:33pm #29

+1 for South Africa. Great golf and cheap...

Hammer X 9* Driver
    Custom Zolex Irons
    Dr. Knockdown Wedges
    Dr. Feelgood Zero Latitude Putter
  • Luke.SuttonLuke.Sutton ClubWRX Posts: 130 ClubWRX

Royal Dornoch?

• bladesoshanterbladesoshanter Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

I'm looking for a cheap place to live and play golf too for the next five months myself! Winter is going and I want out of here when it hits. I do not want to go south with the snow birds as it'll be packed and expensive, or so I think, bad on what I've seen of Texas, Florida, etc. I too have heard Asia is expensive. I wish it wasn't. I wrote to Dornoch, which is open year round except Jan., but you need a member or two to get proposed. Brora up the road is cheaper and a killer layout....

Titleist 983E 8.5* Fujikura Vista Tour Series 70
    Titleist 909 F2 15.5* Project X 7B3 6.5 TS 75G
    Titleist T-MB 716 UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 110 F5 3-4
    Titleist MB 716 UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 110 F5 5-9
    Titleist BV SM5 48* F Nippon Pro Modus
    Titleist BV SM6 52* F KBS Hi Rev
    Titleist BV SM6 56* F KBS Hi Rev
    Titleist BV SM6 60* K KBS Hi Rev
    Scotty Cameron Newport Pro Platinum Mil-Spec 340G

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji