We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

Comments

• peterman22peterman22  44Members Posts: 44
    rockinar wrote:

Dude is a driving range pro. Probably a 7 handicap at best.

In a vlog from last year sometime (I can't remember which), he said he was "hanging on" to scratch. Unverified, but that's what he said.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • LondonerLondoner  1176Members Posts: 1,176
    Barfolomew wrote:

So he shot in the 80s for 3 days....happens lol!

So do you 10 caps who are baggin on him wiliing to put your money up against him??...no...thought so cause don't mean a thing!!

I cant ever remember being 17 over, net. Let alone 2 days on the trot.
    Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8343Members Posts: 8,343
    I notice a lot of his recent vlogs aren't really posting scores either. Hey, I'm not a RS lover or hater, but he's allll about entertaining now it seems. I hope this is because Fried Eggs guy did the video and this isn't the norm. I like golfing vlogs where I see real guys playing courses I'll probably never get to enjoy. This definitely wasn't it.

[media]

It was cool for what it was but I really wanted to see the course played and talked about hole by hole.
    Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | HZRDUS Smoke Black
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    3h - '17 Tour Issue M1 | Accra TZ6
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - T20 50/7 | Modus 120
    SW - T20 54/8 | Modus 120
    LW - T20 58/12 | Modus 120
    P - Bettinardi 360-M
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OH 7259Members Posts: 7,259
    88,88,79 is pretty darn wretched but I am honestly more amazed by how many people on this site actually care so much.

5 pages and counting?? LOL!!
    Posted:
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Bucken77Bucken77 Poor Mans Ho  2220ClubWRX Posts: 2,220
    This is very important stuff!
    Posted:
    Titleist 913 D2/White Tie Stiff
    Titleist 2-4H S+ Stiff
    Titleist AP2 714 5-GW
    Titleist SM4 52/58
    Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
    www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77
  • AnserAnser  2221ClubWRX Posts: 2,221

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event. Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his. People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work. My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it. She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result. It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business. That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails. Who has time to play serious golf? I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism. He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't. I admire the **** out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that? It's remarkable.

Honest question

Why? Why do you think he's better. Because he has a good swing on youtube videos? What has he done to prove golf skill? Business skill, sure, but actual golf ability?
    Posted:
    TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
    TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
    Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
    TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64
    Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1

Advertisement
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741Members Posts: 11,741
    Anser wrote:

I think he's much better than the scores he shot in this event. Most here have no idea how much time and work goes into keeping a social media profile like his. People who don't understand it criticize it as "fake" business but I assure you that it's real work. My daughter does the same for her business on several platforms and the poor kid works 14 hours a day, seven days a week at it....with six employees/interns also working at it. She, like Shiels, has a very successful business but her real social/family life does suffer as a result. It's what it takes these days to run a successful internet based business. That doesn't even consider the actual logistics of running the business and all that entails. Who has time to play serious golf? I give Shiels props for putting himself out there for criticism. He could just stay away from competition and let everyone just assume that he's a great player but he doesn't. I admire the **** out of him for creating international recognition and a big business out of absolute thin air....how can you criticize that? It's remarkable.

Honest question

Why? Why do you think he's better. Because he has a good swing on youtube videos? What has he done to prove golf skill? Business skill, sure, but actual golf ability?

That’s what I keep asking.
    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008

Anser wrote:

Honest question

You both must have missed the post where he averaged just over 72 for 12 events a few years ago. He’s certainly better than the score he posted in this event
    Posted:
    iteachgolf wrote:

Anser wrote:

Honest question

You both must have missed the post where he averaged just over 72 for 12 events a few years ago. He’s certainly better than the score he posted in this event

Is he? Because he was a few years ago?
    Posted:
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
    I mean what is it that’s in any way impressive about the swing and the game he shows in his videos. Or do people watch the videos because he supposedly used to be a pretty solid player? I can only go by what I’ve seen.
    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • tyorke1tyorke1  2266Members Posts: 2,266
    His swing creates speed easy to see that, it is a good golf swing, who cares what he shoot's I was liking the fact he was trying to get in the open. I like his reviews and his matches with Peter. It's just entertainment nothing more or nothing less.
    Posted:
    m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s ,
    m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
    taylor p790 17 degree
    titleist ap3 
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj version
    epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Advertisement
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf  17008Members Posts: 17,008
    Londoner wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Anser wrote:

Honest question

He said, what has he done to prove any golfing ability or skill? Averaging 72.4 for the year in 2016 absolutely proves he has skill and golfing ability. How good do you expect him to be? I’ve watched great players put up huge scores in events and miss cuts by miles. Only to win relatively shortly after.
    Posted:
  • smokedturkeysmokedturkey  297Members Posts: 297
    What a bunch of BS. Pathetic arm chair quarterbacks on this thread. No one should be criticizing anybody about the humble nature of golf, especially tournament golf. I think anyone who is kicking Rick Shields about his performance, put up or shut up. Put up some significant money and challenge him. I know he would enjoy taking your money. Then you can post that on here.
    Posted:
    G400 10.5, Tour 65S
    Or
    Ping G LST 10.5, KK Silver S

2016 M2 3HL Prolaunch Blue 65R
    2017 M2 5W Stk S
    Callaway XR 19* & 22* Stk Proj X 6.0 S
    Srixon Z565 5-PW 950S
    Cleve 588 RTX2 - 52 & 58
    Odyssey O Works 3T or Odyssey Works Versa 9

Course optional, Pick Two: Cleve 588 RTX2 62* or XR 3 hybrid or M2 5W
  • DoglegRightDoglegRight  1133Members Posts: 1,133
    I check out his YouTube channel regularly and don't care if he shot under par or well over par in a tournament. His stuff is entertaining.
    Posted:
    Londoner wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

Anser wrote:

Honest question

He said, what has he done to prove any golfing ability or skill? Averaging 72.4 for the year in 2016 absolutely proves he has skill and golfing ability. How good do you expect him to be? I’ve watched great players put up huge scores in events and miss cuts by miles. Only to win relatively shortly after.

The reason i started this thread was because in my experience the lower the handicap the more consistent the golfer. I dont know any of my friends or single figure players in my club who have hit 17 over, net, 2 days in succession. Ever.
    Posted:
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60

What a bunch of BS. Pathetic arm chair quarterbacks on this thread. No one should be criticizing anybody about the humble nature of golf, especially tournament golf. I think anyone who is kicking Rick Shields about his performance, put up or shut up. Put up some significant money and challenge him. I know he would enjoy taking your money. Then you can post that on here.

I dont know what youve been reading but it dosent sound like this thread.
    Posted:
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60

Advertisement
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth  1091ClubWRX Posts: 1,091
    I'm still convinced that he'd normally shoot in the mid to high 70's on most courses. He's far from a terrible player. At least he was man enough not to throw up a WD for some phony ailment. He took it like a man. It'd be hard on the ego for at least 267,511 people to know that you shot an 88. That's how many followers he's got on YouTube alone, with another 42,471 on Facebook, and 72,000 on Instagram. I'm not sure that too many of us would like advertising to a half million "friends" that we shot an 88 and came DFL. Again, props to Shiels.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth  1091ClubWRX Posts: 1,091
    iteachgolf wrote:

Anser wrote:

Honest question

Exactly. If he's man enough to put up an 88 in front of a half million followers, I believe every other score he's posted, including his competitive 72 stroke average for the year. Again, I have a pretty good idea of how much time and effort goes into what he's presenting every day. Add that to a wife and kids....that doesn't leave too much time to practice, believe me. If David Duval can throw up an 81, which is a stroke a hole higher than his best score at Pebble, Shiels' 88 sure doesn't make me doubt that he can play well...at times.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • AnserAnser  2221ClubWRX Posts: 2,221
    As someone averaging that scoring range, it'd put him #2 on a lot of High School teams.

But those kids don't have money generating youtube channels so he's lucky to live in a world where people will pay money to watch others play video games or do golf club tests image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
    TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
    Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
    TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 54/58
    TaylorMade HiToe 64
    Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner  4902Members Posts: 4,902
    I wonder what his playing partners were thinking....

"This guys sponsored by Nike?!?!"
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
    Guess that makes two huge subcultures I’d have never been aware of if not for GolfWRX. One is Costco members and the other is people who get their entertainment from YouTube. Both as hard for me to comprehend as Revolutionary War reenactors or fans of Benny Hill.

[cue Yakety Sax and roll credits]
    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

Advertisement
  • gregcindyhgregcindyh  1004Members Posts: 1,004
    DUDE!!!
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic GBB 9* Hzurdus T800 6.5
    Titleist FD 15* Diamana Blue Board 80x
    Adams a12 pro 20* Hybrid Diamana whiteboard 90x
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW DG Pro
    Nike VR Pro 56* DG s400
    Titleist SM5 60* S grind DG s400
    Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"
  • craz-ecraz-e  4262Members Posts: 4,262
    He was obviously testing equipment so wanted as many shots with them as possible to verify their on course performance.

(Joke)
    Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976  2603Members Posts: 2,603
    tyorke1 wrote:

His swing creates speed easy to see that, it is a good golf swing, who cares what he shoot's I was liking the fact he was trying to get in the open. I like his reviews and his matches with Peter. It's just entertainment nothing more or nothing less.

Isn't the whole point of golf to shoot low scores? Especially if you are trying to qualify for a strokeplay tournament?

You can see from his videos that he can hit the ball all over the park, so he's never going to score well consistently. Cross field, whilst not a bomber, at least has a consistent swing and a self confessed abysmal short game.

Guess that makes two huge subcultures I'd have never been aware of if not for GolfWRX. One is Costco members and the other is people who get their entertainment from YouTube. Both as hard for me to comprehend as Revolutionary War reenactors or fans of Benny Hill.

[cue Yakety Sax and roll credits]

O/T but I think you'll find YouTube becoming a digital disruptor to the existing broadcast channels along with Netflix and Amazon. They've already launched live sports streaming in the US.
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • sirparalotsirparalot  742Members Posts: 742
    I'm in the camp of I really couldn't care less what he shoots and it does not change my thoughts on the relevance of his reviews. Honestly the only persons review that is relevant when it comes to equipment for me is ME!!! All these online reviewers are windbags who figured out how to get paid...thats their most impressive accomplishment and good on them for making it work. So many people however do take these guys opinions as gospel and make poor buying decisions every year leading to no improvement in their game and a readiness to continue to open their wallets to buy something else after the next on-line review(manufacturers dream). If I was a manufacturer I would be paying the top review guys big $$ (under the table of course:) ) for favorable reviews. Today these reviewers sell more clubs than any PGA pro on the payroll.
    Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19073ClubWRX Posts: 19,073

I wonder what his playing partners were thinking....

"This guys sponsored by Nike?!?!"

His clothes were under par.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jimsmithleedsjimsmithleeds  82Members Posts: 82
    Embarassing scores for sure but look at what the guys missing the cut on the Europro tour in the UK shoot, mid 80's and above in some cases, and these guys are paying £250 an event to enter so must be practicing and taking it seriously so it happens

That said, I'm off 7 and two 88's in a row would upset me a lot, but it could happen LOL
    Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZU65 5 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/font]
  • George1174George1174  206Members Posts: 206
    jacobEDGE wrote:

Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?

You do realize that he is english and most certainly has never even considered getting a USGA handicap. And the odd reason you mention is simple: he‘s a pro. Pros do not have handicaps under EGA regulations.
    Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 10* - Project X LZ 6.0 44.5"
    Callaway XR16 4W 17° - Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 S
    Callaway X2Hot 4H 22* - Aldila Tour blue
    Cleveland Mashie 3H 20.5° - Miyazaki C.Kua 59
    Mizuno MP-59 4-PW - KBS Tour R hs
    Titleist SM 7 50/08 - 54/10 - 58/08 - DG S200
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 29.5" Winn Jumbo Pistol, 40gr down the shaft, 40gr counterweight
  • kmay__kmay__ niagara, ontario, canada.  399Members Posts: 399

Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.

I don't even know who the guy is but I can't stop re-reading and laughing at this sentence, "says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water"...thank you for this

And like I already mentioned above, if you were to actually watch the video and listen, he immediately follows that by saying, " If you believe that, you'll believe anything, ha ha ha "

Actually see him as quite a humble guy, and yes I'm a daily viewer of his YT channel along with Finch, great course vlogs with awesome banter, and some impressive shots made while being filmed. Of course you take any thing you read or hear with an objective viewpoint, I don't see his review as the end all, but its quite entertaining and he doesn't claim any bias as far as I'm concerned.
    Posted:
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant

Advertisement
  • herbygolf21herbygolf21  1340Members Posts: 1,340
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

jacobEDGE wrote:

Also, he's definitely not a "hack". I think he's just not been focusing on tournament golf as of late. Here are his stats from 2016.

XoXsR9i.png

Making 11 cuts from 12 events. Averaging 72.4 in tournament conditions. Yeah, I doubt many people on here can do the same.

Um, those appear to be one day events. 12 events, 12 rounds.

Not too many 1 day events have cuts. I've yet to play in one. Maybe that's something they do over on that side of the pond.

They also appear to be actual scores.

And yes, Monday events. Over on this side of the pond PGA sections have Monday events, at least where we live, all throughout the season - that's when folks have some time to actually play.

We have Monday events over here as well. My point was that there are no cuts in one day events. It was pointed out that he made 11 out of 12 cuts. I was questioning that statistic.
    Posted:
    WITB:

Driver: PING G400 LST 8.5* at 7.9* w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75X
    3 Wood: Cobra F8+ 3 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2X)
    5 Wood: VACANT
    Driving Iron: TM Tour Preferred 18* UDI with KBS Prototype 105X
    Irons: Testing...
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 50 & 54 raw w/ Tour Issue S400 and a Callaway PM Grind 58* (with DG Spinner shaft)
    Putter: Directed Force Reno at 34 inches and 66* lie angle (Stability Tour Only blacked out putter shaft)

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.