Bubba Watson WITB: 2018 Genesis Open

Comments

• Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Just watched his round 4 highlights, the man was crying on his caddy's shoulder after his winning putt. I don't know what he's had to go through, but seeing any professional break down even a little after a victory shows that they really needed it. Every pro wants to win, obviously, but sometimes they really need it.
    Ping Anser 9.5* Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Cobra T-Rail 19* 3H Aldila Tour Green ATX75x
    Ben Hogan PTx 22*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
    Ping Glide Forged 50* DG TI S400 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ping!)
    TM TP ATV 54* KBS Tour-V Wedge
    Vokey SM5 58* DG Wedge
    Ping iWi Anser
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,162 ✭✭
    Rapatt95 wrote:

Just watched his round 4 highlights, the man was crying on his caddy's shoulder after his winning putt. I don't know what he's had to go through, but seeing any professional break down even a little after a victory shows that they really needed it. Every pro wants to win, obviously, but sometimes they really need it.

He said in the interview afterward that he very seriously considered retiring last year after he lost all that weight and was sick.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Rapatt95Rapatt95 wow Posts: 568 ✭✭

Rapatt95 wrote:

He said in the interview afterward that he very seriously considered retiring last year after he lost all that weight and was sick.

Always been a big bubba fan, couldn't be happier top see him win this week, glad to see he's maybe moving in the right direction play-wise
    Ping Anser 9.5* Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 18* 5w Aldila Tour Blue ATX75tx
    Cobra T-Rail 19* 3H Aldila Tour Green ATX75x
    Ben Hogan PTx 22*-34* C-Taper Lite 115x (Thank you GolfWRX and Ben Hogan!)
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 37*-45* C-Taper Lite 115x
    Ping Glide Forged 50* DG TI S400 (Thank you GolfWRX and Ping!)
    TM TP ATV 54* KBS Tour-V Wedge
    Vokey SM5 58* DG Wedge
    Ping iWi Anser
  • mpf08796mpf08796 Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    Good to see Bubba playing well with Augusta on the horizon. I wish he still used that Damascus putter he had last year. That putter was a beauty
    revolving door of clubs
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,966 ✭✭
    Happy for Bubba. He's very entertaining to watch.
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,181 ClubWRX
    Contrary to what some may say, he’s a really good guy. He gets a little worked up some times because he is a competitor, but so do a lot of golfers. Nothing fake about him, unlike on-camera posers like DeChambeau. I spent some time with Bubba in Rio and he’s got a big heart. Great patriot and the other US athletes loved him because he showed up at their events and cheered them on. Very happy to see him pick up his 10th win.

Pro golf is too vanilla. Bubba is unique.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 6,989 ✭✭
    tobiasjd wrote:

On the telecast they said he made an equipment change to get back on track. I'm assuming they meant ball, since these look pretty much like the same clubs he always uses.

Well he put S55 irons back in bag after a stint with iblade
  • gator022gator022 Posts: 157 ✭✭
    So is that 2 iron more like a 3 and the hybrid a 2? Interesting setup to see no fairway woods in the bag
  • JJlew66JJlew66 GOLF LIFE Gibralter miClubWRX Posts: 416 ✭✭
    MattyJ92 wrote:

Will Bubba ever win again? Yep!!!
    P750s 5-9 project x rifles<br />Sm6 58-54-50- project x rifles <br />Udi 3-pxi 6.0 > P770 4iron <br /TM M2 9.5 w/ aldila Black mamba TX —Tm M4 3w w/ Hzrdus red 6.5.. >Notchback<br />Prov1– NiKe chukkas lol
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiPosts: 761 ✭✭
    When they asked him what he would do if he did retire he said he owns a candy shop, a car dealership, and a baseball team so they would have something to do! All while fighting back tears. He’s hilarious. Classic bubba.

Also he mentioned his fear that he would never be competitive/win at Golf again. So wild, raw and honest. Gotta be scary as a pro golfer to think you I’ve lost it forever.
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • castironreliccastironrelic Members Posts: 10
    What's the G4 on Bubba's shoes?
  • JohnFSJohnFS Members Posts: 8
    I once played in a pro-am with Bubba (at The Farmer's). He was fun and very forthcoming about himself when we would chat. And he hit a 5-wood out of the deep rough to a par-5 green like I have never seen before or since. I like Bubba.
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,023 ✭✭

What's the G4 on Bubba's shoes?

G-Fore is the brand
    Callaway Gbb Epic Forged 9.5°
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Honma TW737 FWc 21° 
    TM RSI UDI 3 
    TM 2011 MC Onset 4-PW
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,444 ✭✭
    MattyJ92 wrote:

Will Bubba ever win again?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    dmeeksDC wrote:

Contrary to what some may say, he’s a really good guy. He gets a little worked up some times because he is a competitor, but so do a lot of golfers. Nothing fake about him, unlike on-camera posers like DeChambeau. I spent some time with Bubba in Rio and he’s got a big heart. Great patriot and the other US athletes loved him because he showed up at their events and cheered them on. Very happy to see him pick up his 10th win.

Not looking to start something, just curious- what makes a person, or Bubba, a 'great patriot'?
  • MattyJ92MattyJ92 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    MattyJ92 wrote:

Will Bubba ever win again?

I take full credit for Bubba's win and I hope he realizes that!
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiPosts: 761 ✭✭
    nohny noke wrote:

dmeeksDC wrote:

Not looking to start something, just curious- what makes a person, or Bubba, a 'great patriot'?

They give a s*** about our great country and openly show it. They participate happily and respectfully in national events. What makes Bubba a great patriot is his participation in said events and his support of our government and most importantly our troops/military.

I think you do know what makes someone a great patriot and thy you are trying to start something.
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • nic19nic19 Members Posts: 505 ✭✭
    CCTxGolf wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

dmeeksDC wrote:

They give a s*** about our great country and openly show it. They participate happily and respectfully in national events. What makes Bubba a great patriot is his participation in said events and his support of our government and most importantly our troops/military.

I think you do know what makes someone a great patriot and thy you are trying to start something.
    i think this thread might get locked
  • csiachoscsiachos Posts: 1,983 ✭✭
    Keep topic on Bubba and not politics. Good grief.
  • JonnyKrasnodarJonnyKrasnodar Members Posts: 1,804 ✭✭
    nohny noke wrote:

dmeeksDC wrote:

Because he cried to DL3 and turned up at the Ryder Cup like the guy at school who always gets left out. True patriot right there.
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    CCTxGolf wrote:

nohny noke wrote:

dmeeksDC wrote:

Sorry if I upset you. Being patriotic can mean different things to different people, so I was curious what specifically dcmeeks was referring to regarding Bubba's patriotism. I know that he donates to charity and is a christian, but I don't follow him enough to know much else about what he supports.
  • pcs11pcs11 Members Posts: 1,151 ✭✭
    I know he didn't win with the Redwood, but this thread has me on eBay searching for one.
    Honma 727 430 10.5° - UST Elements Chrome 65
    Callaway XHot 3Deep 14.5 ° - KuroKage Tini Proto 70
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 19° - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75
    Mizuno MP 18 FliHi (3-4) - Accra i100
    Mizuno MP 54 (5-9) - Accra i100
    Vokey 46° 52° 58° - KBS Tour 115
    Bettinardi BBF1 or Bettinardi Kuch2
  • keadskeads Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Fun watching his game, miserable watching the guy. Cool bag, though.
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,084 ClubWRX
    DFS PFD wrote:

Too bad he's such an unpleasant person, sweet bag.

What is so "unpleasant" about him? How many unpleasant people donate millions of their hard earned dollars to charity do you know? He doesn't just send money either. He and his wife get on their hands and knees and serve those in need. He's aware of his issues (that wouldn't even be issues if he weren't famous) and continually tries to improve himself as a person. I just want to know what you're talking about. Do you think he treats Teddy poorly? Ted Scott loves him, BTW. I think that drive-by insults like yours are unpleasant. Look in the mirror, then call a guy who's trying his best unpleasant....sheesh. Not many people who were as insanely talented as him would be nearly so pleasant as him....just sayin'.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex/Pro Combo 5-Gap- Recoil 760 Smacwrap
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Bridgestone Tour B330
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
    Interesting comments from Bubba yesterday about his putter. Before The Genesis Open, Ping knew Bubba wasn't using the best putter for him. Ping told him to just let us get the right putter and specs for you and just play it. We are taking this part of your equipment over. Bubba let Ping do this and he's been putting better ever since.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Dill PicklesonDill Pickleson Go Celts Members Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Interesting comments from Bubba yesterday about his putter. Before The Genesis Open, Ping knew Bubba wasn't using the best putter for him. Ping told him to just let us get the right putter and specs for you and just play it. We are taking this part of your equipment over. Bubba let Ping do this and he's been putting better ever since.

Yeah that was interesting, I believe he said they added loft.
    Ping G400 Max 9* Hzrdus Yellow 75x
    Titleist 906F2 15* Proforce V2 85x
    TaylorMade M3 17* Tensei Blue 80x
    Ping iblade 3-PW x100
    Vokey SM7 52* & 58* s200
    TaylorMade TP Black Copper Juno
    Vessel Cart Bag
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #88

Holy Moses wrote:

Do either of you know if the interview you guys are speaking of, is available online?

here it is https://www.golfchannel.com/video/watsons-incredible-putting-result-engineering/
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit
    GHIN: 2719293

j0zhnl.png
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #89
    Circaflex wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

Do either of you know if the interview you guys are speaking of, is available online?

Here it is https://www.golfchannel.com/video/watsons-incredible-putting-result-engineering/
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • andrieddleandrieddle Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    I dobn't see him changing anything about his bag with the way he's playing....3rd green jacket? Sure look the part
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,265 ✭✭
    iBlade 2-iron is so saucy!
    LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    M2 Tour (15*)  or  (16.5*) - Black Tie 80M4-X  
    P790 UDI #2 (18*)  / TP UDI #3 (19*) - Black Tie HM4 105X  or  Bridgestone XD-H (18*) - Speeder TS 9.8X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*) Nike VR Forged (56*) Cleveland RTX 2 (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black