Build $300 set for beginner

SkeeterSkeeter Members Posts: 882 ✭✭
Wanting to put together a forgiving yet solid set for a player in high school. Budget is only $300 unfortunately.

Comments

• ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 718 ✭✭
    Golfworks sells decent quality heads for all skill levels. Hireko Golf XV Pro iron heads are decent. Hireko, Diamond Tour and Monarch Golf usually have decent prices on shafts and grips. You could save some money buying used pulled shafts from Ebay, but you assume the risk of not knowing, say, for a 5-PW set of pulled shafts, whether they were soft or hard stepped (the sellers never tend to comment about that). You could also buy used heads if you want OEM "big names", however, you might think the hosels are original spec, then find out the .355 heads were drilled out to .370. This has happened to me with a Ping i20 hybrid head, which is supposed to take a .355 tip, but along the way was drilled to .370.

Many component sellers will build the club for you. Golfworks sells bundled specials, and their work is good.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,586 ✭✭
    I would buy my Taylormade Forged 300 irons, 1 of my putters, My Cobra Amp Cell Pro Driver,my Exotics 3 wood and get a cheap carry bag from Goodwill
  • alarsen726alarsen726 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #4
    eBay and the BST on here will be your friend. It won’t be anything fancy but for a beginner that shouldn’t really matter. But you can definitely find some name brand clubs that are few years old for cheap. Going to the local Sporting goods store and buying a box set with everything you need is always an option that’s what I started out with my freshman year!
  • Ace2000Ace2000 Members Posts: 483
    Skeeter wrote:
    Wanting to put together a forgiving yet solid set for a player in high school. Budget is only $300 unfortunately.

What shaft flex are you looking for? I’ll try to put together a list of clubs for you once I know.
  • SkeeterSkeeter Members Posts: 882 ✭✭
    Senior to Regular.

I am the coach at a very poor Title 1 school and needless to say most of my guys and girls can’t afford much.
  • dmb3535dmb3535 Members Posts: 329 ✭✭
    cheap ping k15 driver and woods for sure. adams irons, old nike wedges and any putter
    DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
    M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭
    justasgood wrote:

I would buy my Taylormade Forged 300 irons, 1 of my putters, My Cobra Amp Cell Pro Driver,my Exotics 3 wood and get a cheap carry bag from Goodwill

Those irons are hardly for a beginner...the 360s are more suited for that.
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,674 ClubWRX
    dmb3535 wrote:

cheap ping k15 driver and woods for sure. adams irons, old nike wedges and any putter

I'd second that. Maybe a Callaway FT series driver/wood. You can find Adams irons and a Yes putter for cheap on ebay.
    WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 718 ✭✭
    Skeeter wrote:

Senior to Regular.

I am the coach at a very poor Title 1 school and needless to say most of my guys and girls can't afford much.
    I'd get the word around your local golf courses, public and private. Post on their bulletin boards if you can. There are plenty of players with unused clubs lying around that I'm sure would be happy to donate for free. Your local Craigslist listings probably have whole sets for cheap.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• mooseman76mooseman76 Members Posts: 871
    For a beginner I don’t think you need all 14 clubs. At least I know I didn’t use that many. If I were putting together such a set now I’d look here or eBay for a set of G5 irons (hopefully one that includes a SW), a Taylor made burner driver, a putter and a cheap bag. If there is any money left over consider something like a v steel or steelhead 5 wood. Just my opinion, but I think this could be done for under $300.
  • rcb1586rcb1586 Members Posts: 362 ✭✭
    This is a sampling of what is available on the Goodwill auction site. http://shopgoodwill.com

Not the newest but they should clean up okay.

Beware of shipping costs before bidding. Some are extremely high.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/49024826

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/49003090

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/48969203
    TM M3 460, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
    TM M3 3HL, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
    Mizuno MPH5 3-6, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MP15 7-PW, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 62.08, stock wedge shaft
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-03H 34"
  • morrisminormorrisminor Come back zinc! Come back! Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I would get:

Ping driver - from any of the g2-g15 series ~ $50

Taylormade Rescue Mid 3 ~ $25

Mizuno MX 20 or 23 4-PW ~ $100

Cleveland 56* Wedge ~ $20

Old Ping Putter ~ $25

Leaves you with a bit for bag, balls etc.

The prices are a guess loosely based on uk ebay and exchange rates. I'd be pretty happy playing that set, but then it isn't too different to my own!
    Ping G20 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 65X
    Titleist 910F 15* Aldila NV 75X
    Callaway Steelhead III 5w Uniflex Steel
    Mizuno MX-300 4i Dynalite Gold XP R300
    Mizuno MX-300 5i Dynamic Gold S300
    Mizuno MP-57 6-PW Dynamic Gold S300
    Mizuno MP T10 @ 53*, Cleveland 588 60*
    Yes! Pippi Putter
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,973 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #14
    OP: Do you have access to - or the ability to - put irons together?

If you give me $10 for shipping - I'll send you a set of Bridgestone J38 heads. Forgiving and pretty cool for a kid to have in the bag IMHO image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

You could pick up a set of Ping CFS Regular shafts off eBay for $40, put them on those and job done.

I know they're no high end shaft and big burly blokes can overwhelm them, but I really like the Ping CFS and they're cheap used.

Edit: I can actually have a look at what shafts I have lying around too.

• GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 1,982 ClubWRX
    I may have some old "Regular" flex clubs and some older/cheap putters

that I'd donate to get you started on building a set. but most my stuff is "Stiff"

just send me a PM
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #16
    I'd personally look for some adjustability system for Driver, 3w, hybrid. It makes shaft flex/length changes much easier and allows for some tweaking as skills improve.

I didn't pay too much attention to finding the right shaft specs, but here are some general ideas based on current prices at Global Golf. I think you could find similar prices at some combination of ebay, 3balls, etc:

Taylormade JetSpeed 10.5 $50

Cobra Amp Cell 3-4W $30

Cobra Bio Cell 3-4H $30

Cleveland CG2 3-PW $99

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl GW (52) $20

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl SW (54 or 56) $20

Any budget-friendly putter $25

Total: $275 with free shipping (over $199)

Few extra bucks left for a lob wedge if desired, or a cheap glove/balls. A bag from Goodwill would probably run an extra $10.

Spend a couple hours visiting local pawn shops, thrift stores, and yard sales. You'll be surprised what you can put together.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
    Wow. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Luckily I have the ability to reshaft, grip, etc. so that makes it somewhat easier to outfit my players.
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #19
    Join and post in the CCT group on Fbook.

If you were closer you could just come over and rummage around in the garage. 2 or 3 sets could be made up easy for **** near free. I suspect that I am not the only one with an S-ton of good but older clubs not worth the effort to sell or money to ship.

There was a guy here last year short on cash looking for clubs for his son. A bunch of us shipped him a full set up down to shoes and bag if I remember right. You are not the first coach here in need of gear either. Folks here are generous. (Duffer987 example) I am confident in your success at equipping your junior.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • AC in TXAC in TX Members Posts: 723 ✭✭
    Callaway pre-owned clearance section often has good deals - both Callaway and other brands.
    The Ping Hoofer 14 bag:
    Ping G400 Max Tour 65
    Ping G400 5W Alta CB 65
    Ping G400 3H Alta CB 70
    Ping G700 5-UW Alta CB
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54° Alta CB
    Ping Glide 2.0 SS 60° Wedge
    Scotty Circa 62 no. 6
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,322 ✭✭
    Get Ping Eye 2 Irons in black dot ... they're indestructible and the stock shafts will work.

Used drivers and fairways from 2011 on will give you plenty of technology.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #22
    Going for a lower cost this time...

(all from Global Golf)

Adams Speedline Super S Driver (adjustable loft) $30

Adams Tight Lies 3W (16deg) $20

Adams Tight Lies 3H (19deg) $22.49

Adams XTD3 4-PW, AW $49

Adams SW (lots of options) $20

Hand-me-down/thrift store putter $5

Total about $150 for a playable beginner set.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 961 ✭✭
    Adams all the way.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @11*
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • PlayfromtheBrainPlayfromtheBrain Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #24
    PM me if you're still looking for anything. I would love to help. I've got so much around here that I don't need. All of it nice stuff just older. Have a Ping 4under as well if a bag is needed. Please, take it away from me. I'm in Western KY, btw.
  •  bnr204 bnr204 Members Posts: 278 ✭✭
    between global golf used and ebay you should be in business. i think you can do better than even $300. go with regular/uniflex steel in irons 4-pw, 54/58, driver, a 4 wood and a 3 hybrid and you can get someone 12 clubs.

unfortunately there used to be a site called 50dollargolf.com that brought in ebay listings of sub 50, but its gone now.

like many above, i would get a driver made 2010 or later. for fairway woods, you could go as far back to the original callaway steelheads / orlimar trimetal +s (so 15-20 years) and be fine. wedges, all about how good the grooves look but no expiration date on those or a putter.

for a hybrid, an old nickent, tmag rescue mid, or adams a2 or later would all suffice. so would a cobra baffler dws.

good luck!
  • FarklesFarkles Members Posts: 137
    Rock. Bottom golf has some good deals. Built a new set for my father in law for $370 shipped
  • gdb99gdb99 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭
    If you are still looking, send me a pm.

I have a Cleveland Launcher Comp driver, a Rossie putter, and probably a few wedges lying around.

Cobra King LTD, Black Tie Regular flex
    Titleist 917F 16.5, Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
    Cleveland DST 3 hybrid, Diamana Redboard regular
    Mizuno MP-4's
    Vokey SM7 54M
    Odyssey #2
  • malamigmalamig Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    Another route that you may not have looked into is contacting courses in your area and seeing if they are getting ready to sell old rental sets or old demo clubs. You can get great sets for pennies on the dollar
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* AD-DI 6X
    3w: Titleist 917F2 13.5* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 19* Oban Devotion 04
    3i: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi AMT X100SS
    4i-PW: Mizuno MP-18 AMT X100
    50*, 55*, 60*: Mizuno T7 AMT X100SS
    Putter: Scotty Cameron
  • mrbnice2000mrbnice2000 Members Posts: 7
    Decent. With 3wood. $110b9c3b952ec63e7ddfc09aeb6f1c1933e.jpgafe884caafa5b408e2e61e765cb2b3b4.jpg
  • Warren_g44Warren_g44 Gards_44 Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I'm with duffer987 and could try and help out. Pm sent.
    I want to thank the generous and thoughtful people who sent me equipment for my team. Thanks to some fine folks that I’ve never met, I will be able to introduce this great game that I love to students who would never have had the opportunity based on their economic situation.

Words really can’t express how overwhelmed I was by the offers of clubs to a stranger. Thanks again!