National Custom Works Official Thread

Comments

• PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,655 ✭✭
    Really like the look of the new small cb. The muscle will transition perfectly for a blade/cb combo set.

Shafts arrived today. Now I just need a set of heads to go with them : )

Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 3,970 ✭✭
    One of the first sets of LH irons....
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • rymail00rymail00 Members Posts: 6,704 ✭✭

Looks great. So this would be a progressive set with varying muscle depths to help create a preferred flight/trajectory?
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style
    rymail00 wrote:

Looks great. So this would be a progressive set with varying muscle depths to help create a preferred flight/trajectory?

Yes
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,081 ✭✭
    gorgeous! (Even if they are the wrong side of the ball)
    Codename "TK421" F9 10.5 (Avalanche/black) / Rogue 130 Silver 70TX (tipped 3/4", set STD)
    Epic Flash SZ 3+ / Diamana DF 70TX (tipped 1")
    Epic Flash 5 / Diamana BF 90TX (tipped 1.75")
    785 3-PW/ PX 7.0 (+1/2", 2*up, 2* weak)
    RTX4 52*, 58* (bent 1* weak)/ DG TI S400 (+1/2", 2*up)
    SC Kombi-S/ 35.5"

Tournaments on schedule:
    - 5/9; (USGA) US Open Local (Q) - Medford Village Golf Club (NJ)
    - 5/15; (NJSGA) Mid-Am (Q) - Copper Hill Country Club (NJ)
    - 6/11; (NJSGA) Amateur (Q) - Fiddler's Elbow Country Club (NJ)
    - 6/24; (NJSGA) State Open (Q) - Essex Fells Country Club (NJ)
  • LionGolferLionGolfer Members Posts: 1,289 ✭✭

Finished pics of new CB.

We can facilitate just about any finish that our clients want for their project but most of the heads we make are raw.

The clubs can be made with literally any amount of offset that the client wants and are hand ground to exact specs, shape, grind topline etc. Just about anything you want we can do, especially with a MB.

S25.

Ari,

Can you drop me a PM with pricing for 5I to 9I heads only pls. What finish is the one in the pic and what other finishes do you have please.
    Drivers : Crazy435COAAngel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriCrazy9Dia-ProceedIXCOABurningAngel
    UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG 317
    Irons : GrindStudioProto-ModartCBC-PXG311T-RoddioMeisterM
    Wedges : GrindStudio-Modart-Orion
    Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-Xenon
    LionGolfer wrote:

Finished pics of new CB.

We can facilitate just about any finish that our clients want for their project but most of the heads we make are raw.

The clubs can be made with literally any amount of offset that the client wants and are hand ground to exact specs, shape, grind topline etc. Just about anything you want we can do, especially with a MB.

S25.

Ari,

Can you drop me a PM with pricing for 5I to 9I heads only pls. What finish is the one in the pic and what other finishes do you have please.

Pm sent
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • ex0dusex0dus Members Posts: 484 ✭✭

Finished pics of new CB.

S25.

Which would launch higher between this and the low cg heel/toe weighted mb?
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • I wish NCW had a more informative website.

I love the complete range of options, but I wish that there actual models to view to serve as starting points.

If I were to contact NCW, I wouldn't begin to know how to tell them what I wanted.

A good, informative website is absolutely essential for direct marketing, and they, unfortunately, don't have one.

It's super amateurish, as a matter of fact.

It looks as though the quality of the product deserves much, much better.
    Titleist PT___13, 17, 20, 23º fwy wds (stock Titleist MG-307 graphite)
    Mizuno Fli Hi___18º driving iron (Aldila NV Pro 105)
    Titleist DCI 962___#s 5-9 (Aldila NV Pro 105)
    Cleveland 588___49, 53º wedges (Aldila NV Pro 105).
    Cleveland 691___58º wedge (Aldila NV Pro 105)
    something from my bag of putters--they all suck.
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 833 ✭✭

I wish NCW had a more informative website.

I love the complete range of options, but I wish that there actual models to view to serve as starting points.

If I were to contact NCW, I wouldn't begin to know how to tell them what I wanted.

A good, informative website is absolutely essential for direct marketing, and they, unfortunately, don't have one.

I could be very wrong, but I doubt they are looking for that much exposure or could even handle the volume given the nature of how their products are made.
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider
  • DFS PFD wrote:
    I could be very wrong, but I doubt they are looking for that much exposure or could even handle the volume given the nature of how their products are made.

My guess is that you're completely right.

I'm personally suspicious of a bush league web page, though.

It's hard to have confidence in getting the super premium product

for which one is going to pay a very premium price

when the craftsmen are content to be represented by

such a shabbily conceived webpage.

It's hard to believe that they would purposely put up a red flag like that just to limit demand.

More likely, they're just not media savvy people.

The old Scratch website was much more professional. (I think some of the same people were involved.)

So was the short-lived Kenneth Smith website way back when websites were brand new.

The NCW website is really a mess.
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,655 ✭✭
    edited Sep 28, 2018 #283

I wish NCW had a more informative website.

Having gone through the process of ordering I can state that every bit of information (and more) was provided by Patrick when I reached out. There were an overwhelming number of images provided. I was professionally steered when I needed to be.

There are many pictures on the NCW Instagram page, but many more that can be shared.

I've been duped by many 'professional' websites. Definitely only a part of the picture.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭
    They are club builders, not website designers.

Expensive business with small margins. Kinda adds to the mystique.
  • gibbyfangibbyfan Members Posts: 1,186 ✭✭
    I just got my response from Ari today. Once my season comes to an end, then It will be time to begin working on this project. Really looking forward to it.

• I wish NCW had a more informative website.

Having gone through the process of ordering I can state that every bit of information (and more) was provided by Patrick when I reached out. There were an overwhelming number of images provided. I was professionally steered when I needed to be.

There are many pictures on the NCW Instagram page, but many more that can be shared.

I've been duped by many 'professional' websites. Definitely only a part of the picture.

Interesting to know. Thanks.

I guess that I really enjoy an informative and detailed website.
  • gibbyfan wrote:

I just got my response from Ari today. Once my season comes to an end, then It will be time to begin working on this project. Really looking forward to it.

Ari's participation concerns me.

I used to play in a crazy pitch and putt course league which was admittedly more about beer drinking and stupid betting than it was about serious golf.

Nevertheless, I was really into this league and wanted to buy a complete set of expensive custom wedges to give myself an edge there.

Scratch had all the options that I wanted except one. I wanted highly aggressive, cover-shredding, non-conforming, sharp box grooves.

Remember, this was not USGA sanctioned golf.

Ari told me that Scratch could do this, but would not do it with anything but raw finished heads.

I told him that I didn't care if the grooves were machined after plating and were going to rust.

He still refused my order at a time, it turned out, when his company was about to do a header and needed the business.

If NCW is equally indifferent about honoring rather simple requests, that's wouldn't be a good sign.

Not saying they would be, but Ari is involved.
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members Posts: 727 ✭✭

gibbyfan wrote:

I used to play in a crazy pitch and putt course league which was admittedly more about beer drinking and stupid betting than it was about serious golf.

Nevertheless, I was really into this league and wanted to buy a complete set of expensive custom wedges to give myself an edge there.

Scratch had all the options that I wanted except one. I wanted highly aggressive, cover-shredding, non-conforming, sharp box grooves.

Ari told me that Scratch could do this, but would not do it with anything but raw finished heads.

I told him that I didn't care if the grooves were machined after plating and were going to rust.

He still refused my order at a time, it turned out, when his company was about to do a header and needed the business.

If NCW is equally indifferent about honoring rather simple requests, that's wouldn't be a good sign.

It sure sounds like they dont need your business or headache. Why dont you have someone else make you a non-conforming wedge?
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit
    GHIN: 2719293

j0zhnl.png
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,142 ✭✭

gibbyfan wrote:

****! Ouch..

Oh..by the way. Totally agree with you about needing a high quality website for ANY business these days.

There are a gazillion college kids studying IT and graphic design that would love spiff that thing up for a few thousand bucks or for trade out. Offer them a set of irons and let them go to work.

It’s definitely unprofessional to have a shoddy website in this day and age. Too easy and cheap to do better.

For what it’s worth, I think the product pictured in the gallery looks first rate.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • unrepentant 60s  kidunrepentant 60s kid Members Posts: 72
    edited Sep 29, 2018 #290
    Circaflex wrote:
    It sure sounds like they dont need your business or headache. Why dont you have someone else make you a non-conforming wedge?

Why would you side with them whose job it was to provide custom requests?

It was a set of non-conforming wedges for special circumstances, not one.

And it was a very simple request.

The old Kenneth Smith company could have done it standing on their heads.

Scratch folded like a cheap accordion,

and if NCW takes your attitude while charging premium prices,

they'll fold, too. (I'm hoping that they don't and that they prosper.)

• For what it’s worth, I think the product pictured in the gallery looks first rate.

I agree.
  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭
    You have to remember who is making their clubs and how many majors they have to their credit. People that understand golf history don’t need a very complicated website to understand that they don’t need a simple form to fill out, they can make anything for a true customer who understands the quality of what they are getting. I say the more simple the site, the more I know they don’t have to BS to get buyers.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,142 ✭✭
    cardia10 wrote:

You have to remember who is making their clubs and how many majors they have to their credit. People that understand golf history don’t need a very complicated website to understand that they don’t need a simple form to fill out, they can make anything for a true customer who understands the quality of what they are getting. I say the more simple the site, the more I know they don’t have to BS to get buyers.

It can be “simple” without looking like a 13 year old did it for their junior high school computer science project.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • b.heltsb.helts Members Posts: 2,824 ✭✭
    I’d build them out a site for a set of clubs. In a heartbeat.

And I’m no college kid. I do it for a living.
  • SixSixGolfSixSixGolf Posts: 383 ✭✭

gibbyfan wrote:

Ah well its obvious you just have an axe to grind. NCW is doing just fine without a flashy website. They have quite the backlog of orders. I would argue some sleek, over designed website would be off brand. This company makes classic design inspired irons and persimmon woods, "modern" isn't in the game plan.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,807 ✭✭
    If you want an illegal wedge, buy an illegal wedge. If you want a custom wedge that has illegal groove, buy some in a raw finish with a knurled face and have them plated. Or don't. Leaving them raw would be best.
    Wyoming Cowboys
    edited Sep 29, 2018 #297

gibbyfan wrote:

I'm sorry but this is a completely ridiculous post. Scratch did not make clubs with non conforming grooves. We were not setup to do so all of our grooves were done in Japan not in house. I never told you that and changing the depth and width of the grooves is anything but simple.

I sorry you do not approve of the job I did with the golf club company I started in my garage with less than $10k and ran for over 12 years during some very tough financial times. I'm sure you would have done alot better....

Either way this is not a thread about Scratch, it's about National Custom Works which is a completely different company.

As for our website we will have a better one up in the near future. We are SO BUSY right now we are concentrating on making clubs and getting a second shop setup.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    Ari,

If you get a chance sometime, you mind posting a pic from address with new cavity back against an older AR-1 or EZ-1 style head (maybe just stock if possible before any extra grinding is done, would it be closer in profile to AR-1 or EZ-1 or maybe in the middle)? The new design looks really good, simple and sleek, nice lines of the back from the pics.

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    C&L CL1 368g
    rymail00 wrote:

Ari,

If you get a chance sometime, you mind posting a pic from address with new cavity back against an older AR-1 or EZ-1 style head (maybe just stock if possible before any extra grinding is done, would it be closer in profile to AR-1 or EZ-1 or maybe in the middle)? The new design looks really good, simple and sleek, nice lines of the back from the pics.

Yes I am out of town until next week but I will post when I get back.

It's closer to the old AR1 than the EZ1.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)

rymail00 wrote:

Ari,

Yes I am out of town until next week but I will post when I get back.

It's closer to the old AR1 than the EZ1.

Sounds good.

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    C&L CL1 368g

• I'm sorry but this is a completely ridiculous post. Scratch did not make clubs with non conforming grooves. We were not setup to do so all of our grooves were done in Japan not in house. I never told you that and changing the depth and width of the grooves is anything but simple.

I'm sorry, Ari, but we did have that exchange of communications.

I doubt if you'd remember every correspondence that you had at Scratch, but I only had that one so I remember it very well.

As for changing the depth and width of grooves, I found a local machine shop that has nothing to do with golf that can do it just fine.

It can't be all that complicated.

The IRON FACTORY--I don't know if they're still in business--did it as well.

Anyway, that's all in the past and I honestly wish NCW the best of luck.

But my question is this: will NCW accommodate the kind of special requests that I made to Scratch?

That's really all that I want to know.

Again, good luck.