Pine Needles/ Mid Pines

sdhayes135

Based on some of the other threads I have narrowed in on these two courses to fill out the final day of a short golf trip in May.

I have some guys who want to keep their wallet intact.

What’s the best way to go about booking both of these for the same day? Is there a package or replay rate?

I do not need lodging.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on some of the other threads I have narrowed in on these two courses to fill out the final day of a short golf trip in May.

What’s the best way to go about booking both of these for the same day? Is there a package or replay rate?

I do not need lodging.

Thanks in advance.

Getting ready to go through same process for a may trip, except maybe staying on site. Anyway, I've talked to them direct a few times for quotes and also talked to folks at Tobacco Road Travel briefly. I would call Course direct, then TR Tavel, and Maples Travel for a qoute to package. Once I figure out schedule I will be doing that.

I do not need lodging.

Thanks in advance.

Getting ready to go through same process for a may trip, except maybe staying on site. Anyway, I've talked to them direct a few times for quotes and also talked to folks at Tobacco Road Travel briefly. I would call Course direct, then TR Tavel, and Maples Travel for a qoute to package. Once I figure out schedule I will be doing that.

May is pretty much high season for that area, and those two will have plenty of demand, so I don't know how low you can get the costs. I usually book my golf through Talamore Travel, since I have a condo there, and there's basically no difference between the resort-guest rate and the published rate direct through the course. I'm guessing these will apply to Tobacco Road Travel and Maples Golf as well, but its worth checking. Even at full price, these are both outstanding courses, well worth playing. A suggestion, walk a mid-morning round, those are two of a very few courses that allow walkers. I prefer Mid Pines, and Mid Pines has one of the great back patios to sit and enjoy a beverage and watch other golfers finish.

Thanks for the heads up. That is good to know for the future as it looks like we will be back in 2019.

For this year is subbing Pine Needles out for Southern Pines a huge step back? What conditions should I expect with Southern Pines in May?

Looks like a need one course on the mid/ lower tier to make it all work.

I’ve used Tobacco Road and Talamore to get quotes.

Thanks for the heads up. That is good to know for the future as it looks like we will be back in 2019.

For this year is subbing Pine Needles out for Southern Pines a huge step back? What conditions should I expect with Southern Pines in May?

I've used Tobacco Road and Talamore to get quotes.

Last time I played Southern Pines conditions were terrible. I would stick with Pine Needles.

Talamore, Mid South are two good options in the mid tier.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I've used Tobacco Road and Talamore to get quotes.

Last time I played Southern Pines conditions were terrible. I would stick with Pine Needles.

Talamore, Mid South are two good options in the mid tier.

I agree avoid southern pines it's a lame layout even when it's prestine conditions. Mid South if you can get on is without a doubt my favorite tract down there and they just redid their greens so I would imagine it's going to be in great shape this year.

I don't think Southern Pines sucks, I think its good value when conditions are decent, but they've changed management recently and I don't know what things are like right now. However, even at its best, Southern Pines isn't as good as either Pine Needles or Mid Pines. I own a condo at Talamore, so am a member at Talamore and MidSouth. I played MidSouth a half-dozen times in October and November. The new greens opened in September last year, and are outstanding, they've taken out a few bunkers, upgraded the clubhouse, its a very solid choice

Both are excellent. Pine Needles may be a little tougher, MidPines is a little more scenic. Pine Needles runs through some old established neighborhoods, although you'll never feel "squeezed" by the OB. MidPines is on a single piece of property, with very limited OB along a couple of edges. MidPines is at an old-style almost "formal" resort, really a cool setting, Pine Needles is more of a rustic resort. MidPines has the better 19th hole, set well above the (very challenging) 18th green. MidPines is usually $10 or $20 cheaper. Both are walkable (no discount though), and I know for sure that MidPines has 3-wheel trolleys for you to borrow if you want one. I like MidPines a little more, but you really can't make a bad choice.

BTW, if you want a suggestion or two for bars and restaurants, let me know

Ok good call. Looks like that fits in the budget I made as well. Thanks!

Last question is now do I keep Pine Needles or Mid Pines in the rotation. Can only pick one or the other...

Just played pine needles today the greens were as slow as I've ever seen them there . The other guys were really pissed about it. It was decent shape but, greens were very slow maybe cause of all the rain they couldn't cut them not sure.

From MidPines, your closest good choices are in Southern Pines rather than Pinehurst:

Etalia, wood-fired thin crust pizza, Pennsylvania Ave between Broad Street and Rte 1

Bell Tree Tavern, Broad Street near New Hampshire, nice bar food, back beer garden if the weather is good

Sly Fox Gastropub, Morganton Road and South Broad Street, English style pub, including a couple of good curry dishes

Chef Warren's, casual "fine dining", one block north of the Bell Tree

Those are a few of my favorites, and I know there are lots of other choices. Enjoy!

If your schedule is flexible , I called MP/PN yesterday. Wait a week until June and price goes down a ton. Looks like we will be waiting the extra week until after Memorial Day.

Nice post...

I did the same thing on our trip this year by moving it to June. June 6th-10th (if any other WRX's are I the area). I am doing Mid Pines / Pine Needles on the same day and when I booked it directly with them they noted they dont discount back to back play. Which I get they are busy so why would they need too. Though, they did do it for me, was around 25 less for the second round. Again I had to ask very nicely =)

If your schedule is flexible , I called MP/PN yesterday. Wait a week until June and price goes down a ton. Looks like we will be waiting the extra week until after Memorial Day.

Nice post...

I did the same thing on our trip this year by moving it to June. June 6th-10th (if any other WRX's are I the area). I am doing Mid Pines / Pine Needles on the same day and when I booked it directly with them they noted they dont discount back to back play. Which I get they are busy so why would they need too. Though, they did do it for me, was around 25 less for the second round. Again I had to ask very nicely =)

Where are you playing on June 9 and 10?

Nice post...

Tobacco Road the 9th. The10th is open right now. Have not decided if I should play in Pinehurst or Raleigh that day.

Edit: MP/PN Thursday / Dormie on Friday....

Nice post...

Tobacco Road the 9th. The10th is open right now. Have not decided if I should play in Pinehurst or Raleigh that day.

Edit: MP/PN Thursday / Dormie on Friday....

Solid lineup . I still need to play Dormie, Pine Needles, and Pinehurst 8.

Headed there in Nov. in to read comments.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Does anyone know how the crowds are over Good Friday / Easter weekend?

I was in town at Easter last year, crowds were pretty light, as I remember. Very few guys are able to take golf trips away from their family on holiday weekends, so those are often the best times to go. My wife and I always go at Thanksgiving for the week. Usually things are packed when we arrive at Talamore on the Friday before Thanksgiving, but by Monday its like a ghost town.

I was in town at Easter last year, crowds were pretty light, as I remember. Very few guys are able to take golf trips away from their family on holiday weekends, so those are often the best times to go. My wife and I always go at Thanksgiving for the week. Usually things are packed when we arrive at Talamore on the Friday before Thanksgiving, but by Monday its like a ghost town.

Thanks. I might have to look at tee times for the weekend. I don't think we do much on Easter, plus I am off good Friday. Might try to get in 72 holes over the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Thanks. I might have to look at tee times for the weekend. I don't think we do much on Easter, plus I am off good Friday. Might try to get in 72 holes over the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I’ll be down there that weekend too, krt. We’re hoping #2 is available to play Saturday or Sunday. I’m thinking there’s a good chance.

I’ll be down there that weekend too, krt. We’re hoping #2 is available to play Saturday or Sunday. I’m thinking there’s a good chance.

#2 just might be reserved for members that weekend, but it can't hurt to ask.

#2 just might be reserved for members that weekend, but it can't hurt to ask.

Let’s hope not! But if it is, do you think the same would go for #8? If we can’t play either of those, we’ll play Pine Needles and Mid Pines, I think.

Bumping...

Staying at Mid Pines for a few days in a few months...

- dinner/drinks at Mid Pines Or go into Southern Pines or Pinehurst?

- caddie program at PN and MP- good, bad, recommended, skip ? (I used to caddie, so know there are good ones and not so good ones). Plan to walk both, looks like they encourage walking.

- Pine Needles "the loop" warm up course (4 holes I think),,,what's the deal...included with round, free to guests , extra fee?

-shuttle , do they have one?

Loaded that post with questions, I know. Excited about the trip!

Bumping...

- caddie program at PN and MP- good, bad, recommended, skip ? (I used to caddie, so know there are good ones and not so good ones). Plan to walk both, looks like they encourage walking.

- Pine Needles "the loop" warm up course (4 holes I think),,,what's the deal...included with round, free to guests , extra fee?

1) The food/beverage options at PN/Mid Pines are solid. They are a very cool old school hang and be sure to check out the memorabilia and locker room at Mid Pines, but you would regret not going out and exploring the village of Pinehurst while you are in the area. There is a ton of history and very solid dining options so be sure to take at least one evening and go exploring.

2) I have not had any experience with caddies on either Pine Needles or Mid Pines, but can say with certainty (as a fellow former caddie) that both courses are very walkable and that the folks in the pro shops are all very helpful and will do their best to steer you to a top quality looper.

3) The warm up course is included with the other fees and isn't a bad little way to get loose for the big courses. If you are short on time, it won't be a forever regret if you didn't get to it, but on the other hand it's fun way to kill 30-40 minutes.

4) I've had a rental or personal vehicle on all visits so I did not have occasion to investigate or use a shuttle system.

Have an awesome trip!

Bumping...

1) The food/beverage options at PN/Mid Pines are solid. They are a very cool old school hang and be sure to check out the memorabilia and locker room at Mid Pines, but you would regret not going out and exploring the village of Pinehurst while you are in the area. There is a ton of history and very solid dining options so be sure to take at least one evening and go exploring.

2) I have not had any experience with caddies on either Pine Needles or Mid Pines, but can say with certainty (as a fellow former caddie) that both courses are very walkable and that the folks in the pro shops are all very helpful and will do their best to steer you to a top quality looper.

3) The warm up course is included with the other fees and isn't a bad little way to get loose for the big courses. If you are short on time, it won't be a forever regret if you didn't get to it, but on the other hand it's fun way to kill 30-40 minutes.

4) I've had a rental or personal vehicle on all visits so I did not have occasion to investigate or use a shuttle system.

Have an awesome trip!

I'll follow the structure above:

1. I've heard the same thing, food at these resorts is good, and I've heard that the Sunday Brunch at Mid Pines is phenomenal. I agree about the old locker rooms and public areas at Mid Pines, very old-style. But Pinehurst Village is a lovely place, as is "downtown" Southern Pines. My favorite restaurants are in SP, from wood-fired pizza to an English-style gastropub to casual fine dining.

2. Looking at the website, MidPines and Pine Needles are serviced by an outside caddie firm that services 8 or 10 local courses. I haven't heard anything, good or bad, about these caddies.

3 and 4. I didn't realize that there was a short course at Pine Needles, I'll have to make a point to allow some extra time to try it next chance I get. I don't see any indication that they run a shuttle, you'll probably need a rental car during your stay.

Played Pin Needles back in November. If you're a member of the Carolinas Golf Association they offered FREE replays. We wound up playing 36 at Pine Needles for the price of 18.

Not sure if they're still running that deal but depending on how much it costs to join CGA, it may be worth checking out.

Amazing course, have fun!