Anyone still gaming Fly-Z Driver?

BirdieRollBirdieRoll Posts: 356 ✭✭
I'm happy with my Fly-Z driver (R stock shaft, solid drive for me is 240), have no complaints at all but am wondering if I might be missing out on some distance with the new offerings from Cobra, PING, etc.

Wondering if anyone has compared their Fly-Z to the new stuff and stayed put or made a change? (If I make a change I would very much like to continue with the matte black look).

I like to test clubs outdoors but there's a bit of snow that has to melt first...

Comments

• J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members Posts: 1,698 ✭✭
    It seems to be driver tech has either helped everyone with forgiveness or helped fast swingers gain distance but not much distance increase for the moderate guy. I could be wrong and I’m sure someone of more expertise can school us
    What's in my bag:
    Srixon Z785 9.5* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 70TX 45.5"
    Cobra Fly-Z+ 3W w/ Aldila Tour Blue 75X 42.75"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cobra King Black Wedges 50* & 54* (bent to 55*) Versatile Grind / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Members Posts: 266 ✭✭
    I am, love the fly z. Hits straight and long. Best driver I have ever owned.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.0° w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Callaway XR16 3w 15° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20° w/ Kuro Kage 80g
    Mizuno MP-54 4i-PW w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9 w/ DG S400
    Mizuno S18 56°/10 w/ DG S400
    Mizuno S18 60°/6 w/ DG S400
    Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Putter
    Srixon Q-Star Tour golf balls
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,913 ✭✭
    ... All things considered, distance, accuracy, trajectory and forgiveness, the Fly Z was the best driver I have played. I switched to the Epic last season because it was longer and almost as accurate, yet on certain courses I put the Fly Z back in the bag. However, the F8 and F8+ combines the best of the Fly Z and the Epic with the accuracy of the Fly Z and the distance of the Epic. Also the best feeling/sounding driver I hit at the show this year. I have both the F8 and F8+ on the way with Even Flow Blue shafts.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F6 Baffler ... Kuro Kage Black 75s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • Shawn PaulShawn Paul The love you take is equal to the love you make Posts: 703 ✭✭
    Bought 3 drivers since but the flyz is still in my bag. I’ll be going to get fitted soon. Again. Lol, probably will end up with the F8!
    Mizuno JPX900F on KBS Tour120S
    Cobra F8+ w/ HZRDS XS
    Cobra Fly-Z 3W
    Cobra Fly Z HB 3-4
    Bettinardi Studio Stock II
    Bettinardi 52/56/60 UnRusted but Trusted
  • jar59jar59 Members Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I take my Fly Z and my King LTD to the range all the time. Currently, the Fly Z is on the bench but the King LTD is on a short leash. The range and a ball speed machine show there is really no difference in the drivers for me. The LTD is newer so I have been playing it more often.

One thing that helped my with the Fly Z was getting the Rogue Black shaft from the LTD. It made the Fly Z a better club for distance and feel. I didn’t care for the VCLT and switched to the Cobra Kuro Kage from the Amp Cell Pro and the Red Tie from the Bio Cell Plus, but the Rogue Black made a nice improvement. Normally, I play Stiff shafts but I got an X shaft in the Fujikura XLR8 and that is equal to the stiff Rogue Black for me.
  • chisagchisag Members Posts: 2,913 ✭✭
    ... My son is an ex college all conference DE at 6'3" and now a lean 245 and I put him in a Fly Z with a 16gm weight and a Nunchuk shaft at 44.25". He just pounds it carrying it 280+. I tried to give him my LTD as well as my F6 with the weight up front. One round each and he went right back to his Fly Z.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Atmos Blue TS 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F6 Baffler ... Kuro Kage Black 75s
    TaylorMade UDi 18* 2 iron... HZRDUS Black 85hy
    4-pw TaylorMade P790 ... Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • CRiderCRider Posts: 427 ✭✭
    Have demoed the Epic and 917 but am staying with my Fly Z. Distance is consistent, not leaps and bound better but accuracy is great at shorter 44.5 stock R shaft. Need a 12 or 16g weight to play with, BTW. if anyone has one they can part with let me know. Cobra no longer has them.
  • 27x10.527x10.5 Posts: 957 ✭✭
    edited Feb 21, 2018 #9
    I still have a Fly-Z non + and am always up for blowing money on a driver I don't need but I continually go back to the Fly-Z. Tried the +, LTD, M1 and 2 Gen 1 and 2, Epic, last 2 Ping G releases don't even know the names anymore...haven't tried an F8 yet but who's kidding who I'll definitely donate to them again
  • It was a nice driver but no. The long term quality could have been better.
    Callaway X series driver
    Callaway BB OS 3 hybrid
    Mizuno CLK 4 hybrid
    Callaway Apex CF16 irons
    Cleveland CBX wedge
    Nike Method putter

Callaway Superhot Bold
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,667 ✭✭
    I think the FlyZ+ was one of the best drivers released in the last few years. I could easily put it back in my bag with no complaints.
    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Christian GulldénChristian Gulldén Members Posts: 48
    I am still gaming fly z with stock stiff shaft. I had a hard time finding a decent driver but fly z is the one for me. There might be longer drivers out now but this is a fairway finder for me so it stays in my bag for now. I am not gonne try F8 out, dont want to like it becouse my wallet cant take it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • topher256topher256 Champ Members Posts: 35
    UofU02 wrote:

I think the FlyZ+ was one of the best drivers released in the last few years. I could easily put it back in my bag with no complaints.

Agree with you on the Fly Z+. I play it with the weight forward and the stock shaft in stiff flex. Have had it set at 8.5° loft for the past 2 years, but am planning on trying it at 9° and 10° once the courses open here in Wisconsin.
    Cobra Fly Z+ driver 9.0° stock stiff
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood 16° stock stiff
    Cobra Fly Z 16.5° and 19° hybrids stock stiff
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300
    Titleist Vokey 52-08 SM4 and 58-07 SM5 wedges
    Ping N-Echo or My Day putter
    Bridgestone B330RXS ball
  • GHIN n JuiceGHIN n Juice Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten Members Posts: 1,667 ✭✭
    topher256 wrote:

UofU02 wrote:

Agree with you on the Fly Z+. I play it with the weight forward and the stock shaft in stiff flex. Have had it set at 8.5° loft for the past 2 years, but am planning on trying it at 9° and 10° once the courses open here in Wisconsin.

It fits so many different players and swings as well. I played it weight back with an old Red Tie from a Bio Cell+ at 10.5 degrees and it was perfect for me. I kick myself for selling it even though I really like my LTD.
    Callaway Rogue 9.0*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 16.5* fairway wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
    Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #7
    Cleveland RTX 4 wedges 50*, 54* and 58*
  • andrieddleandrieddle Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    I also still have Fly Z+ in my Cobra bag.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • hackalothackalot Posts: 511 ✭✭
    Still playing fly-z+. Have had fittings last 2 seasons and they say should keep mine. The G30 ls tec that was close and ordered it. Played it for a couple months but it was about 5 yards shorter on course and not any more accurate so went back to fly-z. Good driver
    Cobra Fly-Z+
    Titleist 913hd 18 deg
    Ping S55 3-pw x100
    Titleist SM6 54 & 58
    Scotty Newport 2