2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fairway wood crazy - from x2hot pro, xr16 pro, to m2, to m1, 917 f3, to rogue sz

bogeypro

Little back story on how I got here: I love 3 woods! I use them off the tee more than a driver. I love them from 250 yards out on a par 5. All my playing partners know that when it comes to 3 woods, I'm like John Senden (a much shorter and wider and less muscular version) - I love my 3 wood and I've become very picky about it.

I've been on a downward spiral for the last year and a half on fairway woods. I loved my x2hot pro 3 wood...best I had ever had until the xr16 pro 3 wood. The xr 16 pro had the tour green shaft that just seemed to fit me. I could bomb it off the tee (250) or off the turf (240). Then, I got mad at Callaway for personal reasons and sold all my Callaway gear.

I then went the Taylormade route. I had a 2017 m2, but the face caved in first trip on the range. It was replaced with 2017 m1 (thank you taylormade for the swap). It was long off the tee, but just couldn't elevate it off the fairway as well as I had wanted. I did love the adjustability and the head shap. I tried multiple shafts of different characteristics, but finally gave up.

I then found the 917 f3 - absolutely love the look of it. It was ok from the fairway and ok from the tee. Downside for me was the sound/feel... along with the tendency to want to go left. I don't mean a little left, I mean like taking a left and driving around drive through at Taco Bell left.... I tried different adjustments and got it going fairly straight, but just couldn't love it.

Yesterday I found the Rogue Sub Zero. One course today and seems to check all the boxes.

Is anybody else this picky about fairway woods or am I the only crazy one here?

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have more 3ws than anything else...IMO it’s the hardest club to find the perfect fit. I recently got a XHot2 Pro with a tour green and it is the best I’ve had. I buy multiple 3w per year it seems, but I have hit shots with the XHot2 3w with Tour Green that I have never hit before...mostly off the deck. I’m a huge fan of the Vsteel but the XHot2 has been a perfect fit for my game. I don’t see it going anywhere for a long time.

Little back story on how I got here: I love 3 woods! I use them off the tee more than a driver. I love them from 250 yards out on a par 5. All my playing partners know that when it comes to 3 woods, I'm like John Senden (a much shorter and wider and less muscular version) - I love my 3 wood and I've become very picky about it.

I've been on a downward spiral for the last year and a half on fairway woods. I loved my x2hot pro 3 wood...best I had ever had until the xr16 pro 3 wood. The xr 16 pro had the tour green shaft that just seemed to fit me. I could bomb it off the tee (250) or off the turf (240). Then, I got mad at Callaway for personal reasons and sold all my Callaway gear.

I then went the Taylormade route. I had a 2017 m2, but the face caved in first trip on the range. It was replaced with 2017 m1 (thank you taylormade for the swap). It was long off the tee, but just couldn't elevate it off the fairway as well as I had wanted. I did love the adjustability and the head shap. I tried multiple shafts of different characteristics, but finally gave up.

I then found the 917 f3 - absolutely love the look of it. It was ok from the fairway and ok from the tee. Downside for me was the sound/feel... along with the tendency to want to go left. I don't mean a little left, I mean like taking a left and driving around drive through at Taco Bell left.... I tried different adjustments and got it going fairly straight, but just couldn't love it.

Yesterday I found the Rogue Sub Zero. One course today and seems to check all the boxes.

Is anybody else this picky about fairway woods or am I the only crazy one here?

You arent crazy bro. I just switched from 917F2 to Rogue. Way better sound!

I have more 3ws than anything else...IMO it’s the hardest club to find the perfect fit. I recently got a XHot2 Pro with a tour green and it is the best I’ve had. I buy multiple 3w per year it seems, but I have hit shots with the XHot2 3w with Tour Green that I have never hit before...mostly off the deck. I’m a huge fan of the Vsteel but the XHot2 has been a perfect fit for my game. I don’t see it going anywhere for a long time.

I had a v steel too!! Funny story - I had a 200 series 3 wood with a steel shaft. Playing a tournament and the shaft broke under the grip and the grip held it together while it was slinging around my head... LUCKY I didn't knock myself out with it. Taylormade said that was an odd place for a shaft to break and offers to send me a v steel to replace it. I said heck yea and was a happy happy man with that v steel (steel shafted with rifle 6.0 was an accurate beast).

Just picked up an Exotics CBX 3 wood to try out. I can't seem to find anything I love all around. Either it's good off the tee or good off the deck. Never good at both, but I'll keep trying to find my unicorn!

Titleist TSR3 9 Tensei 1K 70
Titleist TSR3 3w HZRDUS Blue 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Been there also and 3 wood used to be my favorite club. I'm always try to find one that isn't too large or too small, and can be played off both the deck and tee. I've gone through about seven or eight 3 woods the last 6 or so years. In theory I thought I had found it last year with the 2017 M2 tour. Unfortunately the lack of forgiveness when my swing was a little off just hurts too much.

Tried the rogue and rogue sz a few times indoor and monitors and really liked what I had seen. Seemed very forgiving (very little lack of ball speeds), great shape (not too small or too large), and still easy to elevate on thin shots. I ended up ordering the rogue sz 15 degree (I usually need some spin reduction). I'm still waiting for it to ship, but I'm really hoping this one works out.

Been there also and 3 wood used to be my favorite club. I'm always try to find one that isn't too large or too small, and can be played off both the deck and tee. I've gone through about seven or eight 3 woods the last 6 or so years. In theory I thought I had found it last year with the 2017 M2 tour. Unfortunately the lack of forgiveness when my swing was a little off just hurts too much.

Tried the rogue and rogue sz a few times indoor and monitors and really liked what I had seen. Seemed very forgiving (very little lack of ball speeds), great shape (not too small or too large), and still easy to elevate on thin shots. I ended up ordering the rogue sz 15 degree (I usually need some spin reduction). I'm still waiting for it to ship, but I'm really hoping this one works out.

I think you'll like the rogue sz. What shaft did you order? I got the 75g stiff hzrdus yellow.

Im another one. I've bought about 10 different 3 woods since I stupidly sold my old Callaway X series a few years ago. They either go too far on not high enough etc.ive given up for the moment and just cranked my 5 wood down in loft.

Hope you guys searching for a 3 wood find something that works.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I think you'll like the rogue sz. What shaft did you order? I got the 75g stiff hzrdus yellow.

I ordered it with project x even flow black 6.5

i'm sort of like you: i love my 3 wood until i hate it.

just went through a messy break-up with my 3 wood.. had the XR 16 and loved it.. felt i hit it a bit too high so demoed the epic SZ 3 wood and fell in love with the launch monitor numbers. then played a round with it and realized my ball flight wasn't what i wanted and mis-hits were pretty punishing (due to the low spin).

in a new relationship with my cobra F8 3 wood, but sometimes i think back to my XR 16 (which i traded in).. even so far as to going back to the store and seeing if i can re-buy it.

all in all, what i've realized with a 3-wood is that it's not about distance. trying to gain 5-10 yards shouldn't be the objective. instead, it should be about finding the most reliable 3-wood. one that is forgiving, reliable and knowing how/where to miss with it.

hate this spot in my bag, its a revolving door

that being said, I have an Aeroburner TP 16.5 w an OG ProForce V2 76 in it and it "seems" to be working well ... until it doesnt ;)

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

I am happy with my woods, don't see any reason to change any of them.

...Like stepping into an AA meeting to say you don't like alcohol. Lmao

I've been testing 3 woods for the last week. The Rogue SZ is an absolute beast. I normally carry a 15 degree 245-250. The Rogue SZ was around 260 carry, and I couldn't get the spin much above 2,800. Great driver backup, but not the best for going into a green. I just ordered a 917 F2. I stick to 80 gram shafts and adjust the face open to keep it from going left. I would have went with the M3 if they had better shaft offerings.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

bogeypro this thread brings me back to the days of Dufner's waggle don't know if you remember him, that guy changed 3 woods like i change underwear, hilarious stuff. Always a finicky spot in the bag for sure. Glad you found something that sticks?

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Im glad you guys liked your XR16s... as I just put one in the bag LOL

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Im glad you guys liked your XR16s... as I just put one in the bag LOL

don't ever sell it... LOL

bogeypro this thread brings me back to the days of Dufner's waggle don't know if you remember him, that guy changed 3 woods like i change underwear, hilarious stuff. Always a finicky spot in the bag for sure. Glad you found something that sticks?

I remember that!! I'm becoming just as bad... HOWEVER, I'm worse because I like my driver and 3 wood to match. OCD like that...

Im still trying to replace my g25 3w. Next up is the F8 from Cobra. G25 is just steady eddy reliable for me.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I've always been a "pro" type 3-wood guy preferring the smaller head shapes. But the regular xr16 14* (with high launch shaft) has been a great performer for me. Much easier to launch from the deck than the xr Pro models and the spin is low enough to find a lot of fairways from the tee. It also doesn't seem to have the hook bias of many regular 3-woods. If the lie is less than great, I now reach for the 5-wood.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

Should have tried the Cobra F7 or F8 (or F6 Baffler) - the rail system, weight option, and feel are excellent. All three are essentially the same. F7 probably the easiest to find and get a deal on. I have the F7 in grey and love it.

I have had all three and they are not the same. The F8 is far superior.

F9 driver
king LTD 3 wood
F6 hybrid. vts silver
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Piretti Matera

Im still trying to replace my g25 3w. Next up is the F8 from Cobra. G25 is just steady eddy reliable for me.

Just picked up another g25 3w after playing it a couple years ago. If I put a good swing on it it just goes straight and flies so nicely. This purchase was made in hopes of not having to deal with this spot in my bag anymore!

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Should have tried the Cobra F7 or F8 (or F6 Baffler) - the rail system, weight option, and feel are excellent. All three are essentially the same. F7 probably the easiest to find and get a deal on. I have the F7 in grey and love it.

I have had all three and they are not the same. The F8 is far superior.

F8 is the best sounding one on the market. I'm afraid to hit it outside... I might like it. Then I'd need the driver too.

Great topic. I have bought so many 3 woods in the past 6 years, that a few of them barely got hit. When I would sell them, the person buying them always remarked on how new they looked. The worst part is that I really liked a few of them, and could shoot myself for having sold them. I finally got smart, and kept my TM M1 2016 fwy. I can hit it off the deck and off the tee, fairly consistently. It is typically a 250 yard club off the tee, and 240 yard off the deck. This didn't stop me from buying a Rogue SZ fwy the other day. At least this time I was smart enough not to trade in or sell the M1. I plan to keep them both, then go back and forth, rather than sell one. I have heard great things about the Rogue SZ fwy, but will have to test it myself once the weather turns here in Indy. Good luck with your search and happy hunting.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

That guy and 3 woods are like the changing of the tides. Must have gone through 20 different clubs.. and then went through them AGAIN.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0