TM Milled Grind vs Vokeys

cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
Looking for any comparisons between the two. Have a full bag of TM besides my Vokey wedges and thinking about going all TM. I know Vokey has more grind options and TM does not offer a 50* which sucks. Anything on the play ability or feel between the two?

Comments

• bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 594 ✭✭
    TM makes a 50 in 2 different bounce configurations, only in the satin finish. I have the TM wedges and I think they are great. I am not a Vokey fan for full disclosure, I have played Hogan and Cleveland in the past. I got the wedges after I got my 790s, love the setup.
    TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    Wishon 949 5 wood Oban Devotion
    Srixon U85 5-6 and 785 7-PW
    Odyssey O Works #7 Putter
    TM Milled Grid Wedges
  • cjblake09cjblake09 Members Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    Thanks i was looking at the bronze finish so that is why i did not see it listed.
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,612 ✭✭
    cjblake09 wrote:

Thanks i was looking at the bronze finish so that is why i did not see it listed.

When I ordered my bronze MG last fall, I ordered 52* in high bounce(52.12) and had it bent to 50*, currently at 51*. It works quite well.

I wish TM would offer bronze MG in lower lofts such as 46*, 48* & 50*
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 21 & 25 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    J15CB 5-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 52*,56* & 60*
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"

• scottazscottaz ClubWRX Posts: 1,900 ClubWRX
    I'm currently testing out the MG 50.09. I've had pretty much every sm.

I had it out for the first time in really soggy conditions going head to head with the vokey 50 sm7 f. I'm very impressed with the TM so far.

I loved the TM Hi Toe when I tested and have one coming, along with a MG 56.12 bent one weak.
  • Smitty120Smitty120 MDMembers Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited Feb 22, 2018 #6
    I have played Vokey's since I played for school. Last year I picked up two MG's to try out. I play my wedges 1/2" long so SW does become a issue depending on head weight. My experience is the MG's do seem to be a bit on the heavy side, but putting clean looks aside nothing my Drill Press could not alter for me. I ported my MG's to get them to my desired Swing Weight and have not looked back. The feel of the wedge is about the same no matter if I hit it heel/toe. I have become impressed. I wish Raw finish was avail but I took some scotch brite to them and helped the shine for me. I believe they are underrated wedges imho.

M6 - ACCRA TZ6 M5

M3 HL - Tensei Pro White 80TX

P790 3 - ADDI 95X

P760 4, P730 5-PW - X-100 Tour

MG Raw 52,58 - S-400 Tour

Toulon Garage Atlanta

TP5X

I believe they show they are D5 on the website and the Vokeys are the same but you never know. I too wish they had a raw option or at least one like the black Vokeys you can strip the finish on. Have not had chrome wedges in forever but i could always go chrome in the 50 and then bronze in the 54,58.
    When is the release date for the Hi Toe again? I think i remember mid march but not for sure.
  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 295 ✭✭
    vokey >
  • Wmurdock0426Wmurdock0426 Members Posts: 18
    Picked up a demo 60.10 antique bronze MG at my club and have never looked back. The largest area of improvement I have noticed is greenside spin and control on pitch shots. I have since replaced my ping glides with a 60.10 and 56.09 antique bronze MG.
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 22, 2018 #11
    I just hit the TM milled grind against the SM7's this past weekend on a Trackman. Distance control, dispersion and spin were more consistent with the TM milled grind. I also thought the TM MG looked better at address but not by a wide margin. The toe is a little more squared off and that appeals to my eye a little more. Feel was close but I thought the TM MG felt a little better than the Vokey.

All that being said, I didn't hit either one as well as I hit the Glide Stealth, which had the best feel of the 3 as well.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 833 ✭✭
    MG looked better for me, but Vokey felt better and spun more with identical shaft configurations. Kept vokeys based on play-ability alone.
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider
  • EKELLYEKELLY Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    They're BOTH still a copy of the Wilson JP Series, just a little variation in the metals used. Aside from a little feel, if you haven't consistently won on the PGA Tour, anyone's opinion on forgiveness, etc, is utter nonsense. Hit them both, close your eyes, and pick one, they are 90%+ the same club......FYI, I don't play either one!....Chevy makes GREAT trucks too, I've drove them all, but I'd never own one!.......
  • gambitgambit Members Posts: 4,174 ✭✭
    How are the grinds on the ****? Particularly interested to know how they play of bunkers.
    Well i went ahead and just ordered a 50,54,58 to see how they compare to the Vokeys. Hoping they get here by the end of next week.
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭
    It’s funny how you wouldn’t think a thread like this being started by someone who uses Vokey.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,504 ✭✭
    edited Feb 23, 2018 #17
    Just picked up a 50/09 TM wedge to compliment my Vokeys. Really liked the looks but have only used it a couple of times, so still getting used to it. I feel the leading edge is sharper and straighter than the Vokeys are and it seems to spin a lot contrary to other reviews. I use my 50 a lot for chipping and so far it seems to bite a little too much but again still getting used to it (it is still winter here in Boston), mainly at the range too. So far so good and it looks really good.
  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,733 ✭✭
    Why isn’t the 50 available in black or bronze? So dumb
    Taylormade M4 9.5 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    3w — undecided
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
    Kale_m wrote:

I was saying that about the high toe today. Why not be able to make the whole set match otherwise just offer one finish.
  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,733 ✭✭
    gambit wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

I was saying that about the high toe today. Why not be able to make the whole set match otherwise just offer one finish.

Hi toe is more of a specialty wedge. The 50 is the only loft they don’t offer in anything but chrome. Like what is that? With today’s stronger Pw lofts more guys are running a 50/54/58 wedge setup and you now have to have 1 mis-matched wedge? Just for this reason I am going vokeys over the MG
    Taylormade M4 9.5 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    3w — undecided
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
    Kale_m wrote:
    gambit wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

Hi toe is more of a specialty wedge. The 50 is the only loft they don’t offer in anything but chrome. Like what is that? With today’s stronger Pw lofts more guys are running a 50/54/58 wedge setup and you now have to have 1 mis-matched wedge? Just for this reason I am going vokeys over the MG

I was going to get the MG in 52/56/60 high toe but the finish on the high toe doesn’t match any of their other finishes. It’s literally a 4th finish. I’m sure it’s a great wedge but I don’t think my OCD can handle one wedge being a totally different color. And I’m not joking about my level of OCD unfortunately.
  • SigmanxSigmanx Members Posts: 1

@Kale_m said:
    gambit wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

I’m the same way. I hate it when stuff like this doesn’t match. I’ll even spend more money to make it match.

• bigmoneypbigmoneyp MichiganMembers Posts: 3,223 ✭✭

I'll second what someone else said.... I have the 52 in bronze (high bounce) and bent it to 50.... works perfect!

Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep 14.5*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19*
    Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 22*
    Maltby DBM 4-PW w. PX LZ 6.0
    Taylormade Milled Grind 52* (bent to 50)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58*
    Taylormade TP Mullen
    Callaway Hex Tour Soft
  • enelrojoenelrojo Posts: 139 ✭✭

@Kale_m said:

Need a 50 in black!!!

• Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

@enelrojo said:

@Kale_m said:

Need a 50 in black!!!

+1
    While every brand wants their product to be known from a mile away, I would have a full set of hitoe if they came in black.

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,163 ✭✭

@Crazy_Bikerdude said:

@enelrojo said:

@Kale_m said:

Need a 50 in black!!!

+1
    While every brand wants their product to be known from a mile away, I would have a full set of hitoe if they came in black.

And I would have a couple if they were satin chrome and they didn’t change the design of the lower lofted models.