TM Milled Grind vs Vokeys

cjblake09 ·  
cjblake09cjblake09  2016WRX Points: 174Members Posts: 2,016 Platinum Tees
Looking for any comparisons between the two. Have a full bag of TM besides my Vokey wedges and thinking about going all TM. I know Vokey has more grind options and TM does not offer a 50* which sucks. Anything on the play ability or feel between the two?
Posted:

Comments

• bird_4_3bird_4_3  617WRX Points: 100Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 617 Golden Tee
    TM makes a 50 in 2 different bounce configurations, only in the satin finish. I have the TM wedges and I think they are great. I am not a Vokey fan for full disclosure, I have played Hogan and Cleveland in the past. I got the wedges after I got my 790s, love the setup.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 
    Epic 3
    XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
    Ping I210 5-UW
    TM Ardmore
    Ping Stealth Wedges
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cjblake09cjblake09  2016WRX Points: 174Members Posts: 2,016 Platinum Tees
    Thanks i was looking at the bronze finish so that is why i did not see it listed.
    Posted:
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW Missouri 2721WRX Points: 189Handicap: +0.8Members Posts: 2,721 Titanium Tees
    cjblake09 wrote:

Thanks i was looking at the bronze finish so that is why i did not see it listed.

When I ordered my bronze MG last fall, I ordered 52* in high bounce(52.12) and had it bent to 50*, currently at 51*. It works quite well.

I wish TM would offer bronze MG in lower lofts such as 46*, 48* & 50*
    Posted:
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0, Speeder Evolution V 661 stiff(45")
    Epic TI 15* Speeder Evolution II 765 stiff
    Rogue 7 wood IROC stiff
    '18 X-Forged Utility 24* $-Taper 120
    Callaway '19 Smoke Apex Pro 5-PW Black $-Taper 120
    Callaway Black MD4 50S, 54S & 58W
    Odyssey Ten S Triple Track 34"

Old GHIN HC +0.8
    New WHC +1.3

• scottazscottaz  2009WRX Points: 221ClubWRX Posts: 2,009 ClubWRX
    I'm currently testing out the MG 50.09. I've had pretty much every sm.

I had it out for the first time in really soggy conditions going head to head with the vokey 50 sm7 f. I'm very impressed with the TM so far.

I loved the TM Hi Toe when I tested and have one coming, along with a MG 56.12 bent one weak.
    Posted:

Ping G400MAX 8.5 TPT 14 proto

Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Hzrdus tour black 105x

Callaway Apex 20 Fujikura pro 115x

Mizuno HMP PW-4 DG TI 100x

Vokey sm7 50f, 55f, 60k DG TI 100x

L.A.B Golf B.2 blade putter

• Smitty120Smitty120 MD 549WRX Points: 141Handicap: 1.0Members Posts: 549 Golden Tee
    I have played Vokey's since I played for school. Last year I picked up two MG's to try out. I play my wedges 1/2" long so SW does become a issue depending on head weight. My experience is the MG's do seem to be a bit on the heavy side, but putting clean looks aside nothing my Drill Press could not alter for me. I ported my MG's to get them to my desired Swing Weight and have not looked back. The feel of the wedge is about the same no matter if I hit it heel/toe. I have become impressed. I wish Raw finish was avail but I took some scotch brite to them and helped the shine for me. I believe they are underrated wedges imho.
    Posted:
    • SIM Max 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore 6X 
    • SIM Max 19* -  Hzrdus 
    • P790 3 - ADDI 95X
    • P750 4-PW - TI X100
    • MG2  52 & 58 - TI S400
    • Stroke Lab 10s
    • 19' TP5
    I believe they show they are D5 on the website and the Vokeys are the same but you never know. I too wish they had a raw option or at least one like the black Vokeys you can strip the finish on. Have not had chrome wedges in forever but i could always go chrome in the 50 and then bronze in the 54,58.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    When is the release date for the Hi Toe again? I think i remember mid march but not for sure.
    Posted:
  • LifeStoryLifeStory  377WRX Points: 66Handicap: >:(Members Posts: 377 Greens
    vokey >
    Posted:
  • Wmurdock0426Wmurdock0426  18WRX Points: 0Handicap: 7.9Members Posts: 18
    Picked up a demo 60.10 antique bronze MG at my club and have never looked back. The largest area of improvement I have noticed is greenside spin and control on pitch shots. I have since replaced my ping glides with a 60.10 and 56.09 antique bronze MG.
    Posted:
  • DrudershDrudersh  2974WRX Points: 248Handicap: +2ClubWRX Posts: 2,974 ClubWRX
    I just hit the TM milled grind against the SM7's this past weekend on a Trackman. Distance control, dispersion and spin were more consistent with the TM milled grind. I also thought the TM MG looked better at address but not by a wide margin. The toe is a little more squared off and that appeals to my eye a little more. Feel was close but I thought the TM MG felt a little better than the Vokey.

All that being said, I didn't hit either one as well as I hit the Glide Stealth, which had the best feel of the 3 as well.
    Posted:
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1458WRX Points: 661Handicap: 1.8Members Posts: 1,458 Platinum Tees
    MG looked better for me, but Vokey felt better and spun more with identical shaft configurations. Kept vokeys based on play-ability alone.
    Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    L.A.B 2.1 

Advertisement
  • EKELLYEKELLY  2594WRX Points: 27Handicap: +2Members Posts: 2,594 Titanium Tees
    They're BOTH still a copy of the Wilson JP Series, just a little variation in the metals used. Aside from a little feel, if you haven't consistently won on the PGA Tour, anyone's opinion on forgiveness, etc, is utter nonsense. Hit them both, close your eyes, and pick one, they are 90%+ the same club......FYI, I don't play either one!....Chevy makes GREAT trucks too, I've drove them all, but I'd never own one!.......
    Posted:
  • gambitgambit  4404WRX Points: 230Members Posts: 4,404 Titanium Tees
    How are the grinds on the ****? Particularly interested to know how they play of bunkers.
    Posted:
    Well i went ahead and just ordered a 50,54,58 to see how they compare to the Vokeys. Hoping they get here by the end of next week.
    Posted:
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall  3481WRX Points: 264Members Posts: 3,481 Titanium Tees
    It’s funny how you wouldn’t think a thread like this being started by someone who uses Vokey.
    Posted:
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Titleist 909H 21*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 24*
    Mizuno Yoro MP-15 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T7 52* 58*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf  1698WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 1,698 Platinum Tees
    Just picked up a 50/09 TM wedge to compliment my Vokeys. Really liked the looks but have only used it a couple of times, so still getting used to it. I feel the leading edge is sharper and straighter than the Vokeys are and it seems to spin a lot contrary to other reviews. I use my 50 a lot for chipping and so far it seems to bite a little too much but again still getting used to it (it is still winter here in Boston), mainly at the range too. So far so good and it looks really good.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Kale_mKale_m  2286WRX Points: 420Members Posts: 2,286 Platinum Tees
    Why isn’t the 50 available in black or bronze? So dumb
    Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 9* weight in toe, PW70tx 
    3wood — TBD 
    Ping g410 3hy at 20*
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Oddessey stoke lab 10s 
    Kale_m wrote:

I was saying that about the high toe today. Why not be able to make the whole set match otherwise just offer one finish.
    Posted:
  • Kale_mKale_m  2286WRX Points: 420Members Posts: 2,286 Platinum Tees
    gambit wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

I was saying that about the high toe today. Why not be able to make the whole set match otherwise just offer one finish.

Hi toe is more of a specialty wedge. The 50 is the only loft they don’t offer in anything but chrome. Like what is that? With today’s stronger Pw lofts more guys are running a 50/54/58 wedge setup and you now have to have 1 mis-matched wedge? Just for this reason I am going vokeys over the MG
    Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 9* weight in toe, PW70tx 
    3wood — TBD 
    Ping g410 3hy at 20*
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Oddessey stoke lab 10s 
    Kale_m wrote:
    gambit wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

Hi toe is more of a specialty wedge. The 50 is the only loft they don’t offer in anything but chrome. Like what is that? With today’s stronger Pw lofts more guys are running a 50/54/58 wedge setup and you now have to have 1 mis-matched wedge? Just for this reason I am going vokeys over the MG

I was going to get the MG in 52/56/60 high toe but the finish on the high toe doesn’t match any of their other finishes. It’s literally a 4th finish. I’m sure it’s a great wedge but I don’t think my OCD can handle one wedge being a totally different color. And I’m not joking about my level of OCD unfortunately.
    Posted:
  • SigmanxSigmanx  1WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 1 Starters

On -, @Kale_m said:

gambit wrote:

Kale_m wrote:

I’m the same way. I hate it when stuff like this doesn’t match. I’ll even spend more money to make it match.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • bigmoneypbigmoneyp Michigan 3440WRX Points: 256Members Posts: 3,440 Titanium Tees

I'll second what someone else said.... I have the 52 in bronze (high bounce) and bent it to 50.... works perfect!

Posted:
  • enelrojoenelrojo  150WRX Points: 82Members Posts: 150 Fairways

On -, @Kale_m said:

Need a 50 in black!!!

Posted:
  • Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude Wisconsin 39WRX Points: 34Handicap: 10.1 and getting worseMembers Posts: 39 Bunkers

On -, @enelrojo said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

Need a 50 in black!!!

+1
    While every brand wants their product to be known from a mile away, I would have a full set of hitoe if they came in black.

Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2737WRX Points: 626Members Posts: 2,737 Titanium Tees

On -, @Crazy_Bikerdude said:

On -, @enelrojo said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

Need a 50 in black!!!

+1
    While every brand wants their product to be known from a mile away, I would have a full set of hitoe if they came in black.

And I would have a couple if they were satin chrome and they didn’t change the design of the lower lofted models.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.