Famous People you ran into during a round of Golf...

Comments

• FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,417 ✭✭
    Was at Pinehurst and thought I ran into Angus Macfadyen - I then asked his name, and he said his name was Keith.

keith......?

• I watched Bill Clinton tee off at Ko Olina last year. I was the only other golfer at the course.
  • Also met Hideki Matsuyama at Chambers Bay the month before the US Open was held there. He played in the group in front of me
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Posts: 897 ✭✭
    jjohn1022 wrote:

Years ago I caught up with the Actor from Silver Bullet and Under Seige 2, Everette McGill, on a golf course in Flagstaff, AZ. So just wonder here met some Famous Person during a casual round of golf.

Hit'em Straight!!

Geo W Bush once caught up with me. Surrounded by secret service and snipers in the woods. Shortly before 911.
  • Anchor44Anchor44 Posts: 897 ✭✭
    Arpeggi wrote:

Gary Player was in the group behind me at Pelican Hill.

Did he tell you how great he was?
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members Posts: 6,270 ✭✭

Second one was Michael Jordan. He was apparently looking at buying into a restaurant in Toronto, and came to play both of our courses. I guess he likes to buy memberships at courses in areas where he does frequent business so he always has a place to play.

Superstars like MJ don't usually have to buy memberships.

The clubs will give them a courtesy one so they can say to prospects...and you know who's locker that is...
  • andyk856andyk856 Posts: 162 ✭✭
    Mike Trout and i are members at the same course here in NJ. He plays real early on weekdays with his brother and dad.
    Taylormade M6 / Tensei Orange 60 TX shaft
    Titleist 917F2 / Fujikura Pro XLR8 71 TS shaft
    Titleist 718 CB / Project X LZ 6.5
    Titleist 712U 2 Iron / X 95 Graphite Design Tour AD UT
    Titleist SM6 52 wedge
    Titleist SM6 56 wedge
    Titleist SM6 60 wedge
    Taylormade Spider Black on black
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
    Saturday after Thanksgiving...group behind me was a 3some that included darryl strawberry. I was in a group with 2 guys who were 70+ and my 4.5 yr old who hits from where I hit and then we pick his up.

The old guys, as nice as could be, were dreadfully slow. We let strawberry's group go through on 8 tee even though there was nowhere to go..course was packed.

After 16 holes and a hole open ahead of us I excused myself from the gentlemen I was playing with so I could finish up and get my son some lunch.

I catch strawberry' group on 18 tee and ask to play in with them.

Strawberry hit some massive bombs on the baseball field but he's not a very good golfer. Probably drives it 240-250. I'm 5'8 175 and carry it about 270.

Golf is a funny game.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,170 ClubWRX
    I ran into Mookie Betts last week (right fielder fir the Red Sox). We’ve Alice cooper play here. Hines ward, bo Jackson, and many other athletes.

It’s nice having a destination course as your home course. We get a ton of people that come play the trail.
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 4-pw <br />Vokey 50f/56m/60m wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    edited Dec 7, 2018 #311
    Back in the day a friend of mine used to organise professional golfers who were sponsored by Cathay Pacific airlines. Part of what he did was to arrange practice golf for them and he used to bring pro golfers to our Golf Club and we could meet them and sometimes play with them.

I was lucky enough to play at different times, with Greg Norman, Eamonn Darcy and Edwardo Romero .

Thought Greg was an unfriendly ****, Eamonn and Eduardo were brilliant. As a side note, Romero was the longest driver of the ball I'd ever seen especially as this was well before big headed, titanium clubs.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭
    For UK sports fans....Bob Stokoe the football manager and Chris Balderstone, test cricketer and umpire were both members at my club. Went on holiday with Chris. An absolute gentleman. Bob was super competitive. Fought a hook so had ultra thick grips on his irons. Both solid single figure players. Sadly both passed away. Great characters.
  • leec4571leec4571 Posts: 228 ✭✭
    I ran into UNC Tarheel great Phil Ford
  • AbelvisAbelvis Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Played Celtic Manor 2010 this year and met Ryan Giggs. A true gent and was quite surprised he's a right handed golfer.
    [font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]Driver: taylormade.png RBZ TP
    Woods: taylormade.png RBZ stage 2 TP Wood (15 degree)
    Hybrid: taylormade.png RBZ 4 (22 degree)
    Irons: titleist.png 718 AP 1 (5- 53 degree)
    Wedges: cleveland.png 56 & 60 Degree
    Putter: odyssey.png Versa #7
    Ball: Pearl Pure Pro
    [/font]

[font=Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]gamegolf.png[/font]
  • Birddog2Birddog2 Members Posts: 1,057 ✭✭
    **** Butkus
    Ping G25 w/Ping Tour 65 R
    Cal XR16 4W w/Speeder Evo 565 R
    Ping G30 22* Hybrid Stock R
    Ping i15 5-W KBS R+
    Titleist 50* F Grind KBS 115 W
    Ping Glide SS 54* w/KBS Hi Rev R
    Ping Glide SS 58* CFS Wedge
    Odyssey Ti Hot #2
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    Birddog2 wrote:
    **** Butkus

Saw him at a celebrity event I played in back in the late 90s . He had 3 packs of Marlboro Reds in the cart. 3 packs for. 5 hour round lol
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • Birddog2Birddog2 Members Posts: 1,057 ✭✭
    Break81 wrote:

Birddog2 wrote:
    **** Butkus

Saw him at a celebrity event I played in back in the late 90s . He had 3 packs of Marlboro Reds in the cart. 3 packs for. 5 hour round lol

Lol... I didn't notice him smoking but he was playing behind us and my buddy had just made birdie on a par three. **** must have par'd it cuz my buddy says..."I just kicked **** Butkus's a**" Oh really? lol
    Ping G25 w/Ping Tour 65 R
    Cal XR16 4W w/Speeder Evo 565 R
    Ping G30 22* Hybrid Stock R
    Ping i15 5-W KBS R+
    Titleist 50* F Grind KBS 115 W
    Ping Glide SS 54* w/KBS Hi Rev R
    Ping Glide SS 58* CFS Wedge
    Odyssey Ti Hot #2
  • bryhbryh Members Posts: 17
    Ken Griffey Jr

Greg Maddux
  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭
    Abelvis wrote:

Played Celtic Manor 2010 this year and met Ryan Giggs. A true gent and was quite surprised he's a right handed golfer.

Really??? Don't live far away from his house. Always very friendly when we've met... Boy what a player he was
  • dbigstickdbigstick Members Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #320
    Was teeing off for a late twilight round with a couple of co-workers when the starter asked if we would mind letting a single go first. We said sure and up rolls Deacon Jones. He introduced himself and thanked us for letting him go off first. He teed off and after he cleared the landing area on the first hole we never saw him or his big Rams staff bag again. The starter said he played there often and fast.

A few years ago I was on the range in the Seal Beach area and there was a very pretty young lady testing clubs with a couple of guys on a launch monitor. She was hitting brand new Srixon Z-stars that they were pulling from boxes as she hit. She seemed very nice and was friendly. I later learned it was Paige Mackenzie. A year or two later she became a regular on the morning drive on the golf channel.
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭
    dbigstick wrote:
    Was teeing off for a late twilight round with a couple of co-workers when the starter asked if we would mind letting a single go first. We said sure and up rolls Deacon Jones. He introduced himself and thanked us for letting him go off first. He teed off and after he cleared the landing area on the first hole we never saw him or his big Rams staff bag again. The starter said he played there often and fast.

A few years ago I was on the range in the Seal Beach area and there was a very pretty young lady testing clubs with a couple of guys on a launch monitor. She was hitting brand new Srixon Z-stars that they were pulling from boxes as she hit. She seemed very nice and was friendly. I later learned it was Paige Mackenzie. A year or two later she became a regular on the morning drive on the golf channel.
    what course was Deacon playing ?
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • rjp217rjp217 Posts: 225 ✭✭
    I saw Lenny Dykstra once at a local tourney, does that count?
    In Bag:

TaylorMade M3 9.5* (Tensei Pro White 70TX)
    P790UDI 2 (Aldila RIP Alpha 105X)
    Mizuno MP18: MMC FH 3-4 / MMC 5-6 / SC 7-8 / MB 9-PW (KBS Tour 130X)
    Cleveland RTX4 Black 50* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    Cleveland RTX3 Raw 54* / 60* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    PXG Bat Attack P 375 (Black Steel)

On Rotation:

TaylorMade M3 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70X)
    Mizuno MP18 MMC FH 2 (KBS Tour 130X)
    '18 TM O-Works 7CH (Black Steel)
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,386 ✭✭
    rjp217 wrote:

I saw Lenny Dykstra once at a local tourney, does that count?

Only if he was rummaging through bags looking for pills.
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Saw MJ twice; once he was playing with Dean Smith.
  • byrne092byrne092 Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Met Tom Watson at Edinburgh airport few months back. We were both just casually standing in line for a cup of coffee. I am assuming he was getting ready for the Senior Open
  • tmartin89tmartin89 Members Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I wasn't playing but I was at St Andrews years ago and Bill Clinton drove by in a golf cart.
    As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
  • dbigstickdbigstick Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

Break81 wrote:
    dbigstick wrote:
    what course was Deacon playing ?

Anaheim Hills G.C.
  • KillerPenguinKillerPenguin Posts: 537 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

Saturday after Thanksgiving...group behind me was a 3some that included darryl strawberry. I was in a group with 2 guys who were 70+ and my 4.5 yr old who hits from where I hit and then we pick his up.

The old guys, as nice as could be, were dreadfully slow. We let strawberry's group go through on 8 tee even though there was nowhere to go..course was packed.

After 16 holes and a hole open ahead of us I excused myself from the gentlemen I was playing with so I could finish up and get my son some lunch.

I catch strawberry' group on 18 tee and ask to play in with them.

Strawberry hit some massive bombs on the baseball field but he's not a very good golfer. Probably drives it 240-250. I'm 5'8 175 and carry it about 270.

Golf is a funny game.

Yeah, but he's been off the white powder for a decade now. That would have been good for another 30-40 yards easy.
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,666 ClubWRX
    I used to run into Keegan Bradley all the time at the course. Granted, he was like 8-10 years old and his father was the pro at the course my grandparents belonged to in Vermont but I still met him many times. "Aunt Pat" also used to come by every once in a while.

My mom met Bill Murray once at Pinehurst.

Does walking inside the ropes volunteering at a tournament and meeting pros, their caddies, and sometimes their coaches count? I met quite a few of those. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I also met Billy Hurley III once when I worked at the Naval Academy. He had just graduated but was practicing on the Academy course a lot.
    M3 9.5°  Tour AD TP
    M5 15°  Tensei CK Pro
    818H2 19°  HZRDUS
    790 UDI  PX Catalyst  -or-  TP UDI 3  PX HB6
    790 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon
    SM7 46F 52F 58D 62M  DG/KBS
    Mann MA/66

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • Chicago JoeChicago Joe Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    My uncle and I got sent out with Steve Wilkos, from the Jerry Springer show. Nice guy.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    edited Jan 25, 2019 10:13am #331
    58fa3fdbc8b75d60b64b18f3e23329f7.jpg

Elvis and Ann Margaret - and it was AFTER he died!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback