Famous People you ran into during a round of Golf...

191011121315»

Comments

• bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 165 ✭✭
    All mine are Alabama guys.

Gene Stallings (all time gentleman)

Wimp Sanderson (speaks to everyone)

Nick Saban (met him in the grill room)

Ray Perkins (another grill room meeting but just did the head nod thing)
    Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    TM RBZ 15* 3W
    Callaway GBB Heavenwood (set at 20*)
    Callaway XR OS 4H, 6H
    Ping G410 6-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC Members Posts: 1,343 ✭✭
    Played in a Purdue Alumni tourney at a local course, He was not in my foursome, but I talked to Leroy Keyes for about a half hour afterward. He was probably about 65 but looked like he could still play in the NFL. Very nice fellow.
  • tgard227tgard227 Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I played golf with Buck O'Neil a few times on Swope Golf Course in KC while growing up. One of the most genuine guys I've ever met. He would be out there in cut off jeans and a black Royals t-shirt in the middle of summer. The guy was 90 and could still hit the ball 240. Just a true gentleman all around.

I've played a few rounds with Joe Carter. He's a pretty solid player and also a nice guy. I had absolutely no clue who he was the first time I met him while at the old Nigro's driving range in Martin City. I asked him if he ever played any sports in college because I thought he was a pretty athletic guy, I didn't realize he had two world series rings to his name.

We had the entire Tampa Bay Rays baseball team come into the course I was working at while in undergrad. Joe Maddon, James Shields, Ben Zobrist, Carl Crawford...

I've met Bobby Bell at a course in KC also. Nice enough guy but a little quiet.
  • aERonAUtical96aERonAUtical96 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 8:32pm #425

Not in my foursome, but played a fundraising scramble for local high school baseball team and Doug Flutie was the local celeb playing. Let him cut in line in front of me so he could eat and then head out for the obligatory pictures with foursomes.

I work the US Open for security/admissions group. I oversee the players gate, making sure non-players have the correct credentials, etc... so of course every player in the US Open plus past champions and on-air commentators (North, Azinger, etc). Most famous non-players who've come through my gate that I can remember:
    Gary Player (ok, exception to list... came in early Sunday at Chambers Bay for TV interview ripping on the course)
    Joe Theisman
    Hugh Jackman
    Sandra Day O'Conner (former SC Justice)
    The Stanley Cup brought in by Phil Kessel (2016 Oakmont right after Pens won the cup. Hopefully picture displays).

• The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited Mar 31, 2019 1:18am #426

I didn't actually run into him, but a few weeks ago I just missed Kid Rock at my local club. He was getting in a practice round before flying out to Cali to play in the Genesis Open's Celebrity Cup.

• ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 430 ✭✭

@kujosit said:
    Steph Curry

Andre Iguodala

Jerry Rice

You must play at Stonebrae.

Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Newport Platinum Putter
    Taylormade TP5 Golf balls
  • Grizz06Grizz06 Members Posts: 266 ✭✭

Mike Jordan & John Randle @ Spring Hill - Minnesota
    Tim Herron @ Hazeltine - Minnesota
    I think it was Sandra Gal @ RTJ in Mobile (she played through us) - Alabama

• bhj83bhj83 Kansas City, KSMembers Posts: 755 ✭✭

@tgard227 said:
    I played golf with Buck O'Neil a few times on Swope Golf Course in KC while growing up. One of the most genuine guys I've ever met. He would be out there in cut off jeans and a black Royals t-shirt in the middle of summer. The guy was 90 and could still hit the ball 240. Just a true gentleman all around.

I've played a few rounds with Joe Carter. He's a pretty solid player and also a nice guy. I had absolutely no clue who he was the first time I met him while at the old Nigro's driving range in Martin City. I asked him if he ever played any sports in college because I thought he was a pretty athletic guy, I didn't realize he had two world series rings to his name.

We had the entire Tampa Bay Rays baseball team come into the course I was working at while in undergrad. Joe Maddon, James Shields, Ben Zobrist, Carl Crawford...

I've met Bobby Bell at a course in KC also. Nice enough guy but a little quiet.

Only famous person I recall meeting on the course was also a Royal...Willie Wilson. I went to walk 9 at Dub's Dread one weekend afternoon while my wife and son napped and just happened to catch up to his twosome and he offered for me to join. Took me a couple of holes to realize who he was but really nice guy and pretty good golfer.

TaylorMade '16 M1 Tour 8.5 Driver
    Cobra King F7 3-4W Blue
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5W
    TaylorMade '17 M1 4 Hybrid
    Srixon Combo Set: 5-6 Z785, 7-PW Z Forged
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged Slate 50, 54, 58
    TaylorMade Tour Preferred Collection Juno
    Callaway Chrome Soft or Kirkland Signature 3 Piece Urethane
    Bushnell Hybrid Rangefinder
    Linksouldier Golf Bag
  • jngolfjngolf I do my best... Members Posts: 332 ✭✭

Mark Walhberg, Justin Timberlake, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Steve Harvey and a few others

TaylorMade M5 10.5
    TaylorMade M3 3 wood
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron
    TaylorMade P770 irons 4-PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges 50, 54 and 58
    Taylormade Spider Tour X Copper
    TaylorMade TP5x ball
  • SoCal GolfSoCal Golf Members Posts: 60 ✭✭

I sliced a golf ball directly into Kim Kardashian's wedding party off the 9th hole at Montecito Country club. Didn't meet them just got in the cart and immediately left the scene. :#

• NORFOLK757NORFOLK757 VirginiaMembers Posts: 13 ✭✭

ben roethlisberger @ Suffolk golf course. In Suffolk va. For some reason he was at a charity event at this course in the sticks.

• NORFOLK757NORFOLK757 VirginiaMembers Posts: 13 ✭✭

And in Virginia Beach David wright has a charity tournament and Redwing golf course. Always has mlb players like Zimmerman, Upton brothers, and forget Mike vick

• TaylorMadeforGolfTaylorMadeforGolf Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

Played in a foursome behind 11X NBA Champion Bill Russell moons ago at Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, Washington.

• ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 906 ✭✭

Played in front of Jonathan Toews once. He could hit the ball a mile. Also played in the group behind John Paxson and Gar Forman. Those two are just as bad at golf as they are at being general managers. I don’t think Gar broke 100.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 80 extra stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Titleist 712U (4) Cobra King CB (5-6)/MB (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II w/ black onyx finish
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,179 ✭✭

Lawrence Taylor at Spook Rock GC in NY, when LT was playing for the Giants. I was told, their training camp was nearby.

• bekgolfbekgolf Mostly Retired Members Posts: 160 ✭✭

2010 US Open at Pebble Beach. My wife says hi to some guy as we are walking. I don't think too much about it. Later that day we are in the bleachers off of 17. The same guy asks if anyone is sitting behind us. We say no and he takes a seat. We watch several groups come through, chit chatting as we watch golf.

We wait for the crowd to clear after Phil's group comes through before moving to another hole. I ask my wife who that guy was, she looks at me like I'm an idiot and replies "Hugh Jackman". I ask if that's someone she went to High School with? Apparently he's a famous movie actor.

Who knew? Now I know who he is but at the time he was just another golf fan. Decent guy.

• DYOS4DYOS4 Members Posts: 589 ✭✭

Jerry West at the Greenbrier.

Cobra F9
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 818H2 21*
    Cobra CB/MB 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50* SM6 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5