Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Famous People you ran into during a round of Golf...

Comments

• bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    All mine are Alabama guys.

Gene Stallings (all time gentleman)

Wimp Sanderson (speaks to everyone)

Nick Saban (met him in the grill room)

Ray Perkins (another grill room meeting but just did the head nod thing)
    Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    Callaway GBB Heavenwood 20*
    Callaway XR OS 5H
    Ping G410 5-L
    Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Scotty Futura X 38”
  • BicknellCCBicknellCC Members Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Played in a Purdue Alumni tourney at a local course, He was not in my foursome, but I talked to Leroy Keyes for about a half hour afterward. He was probably about 65 but looked like he could still play in the NFL. Very nice fellow.
  • tgard227tgard227 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    I played golf with Buck O'Neil a few times on Swope Golf Course in KC while growing up. One of the most genuine guys I've ever met. He would be out there in cut off jeans and a black Royals t-shirt in the middle of summer. The guy was 90 and could still hit the ball 240. Just a true gentleman all around.

I've played a few rounds with Joe Carter. He's a pretty solid player and also a nice guy. I had absolutely no clue who he was the first time I met him while at the old Nigro's driving range in Martin City. I asked him if he ever played any sports in college because I thought he was a pretty athletic guy, I didn't realize he had two world series rings to his name.

We had the entire Tampa Bay Rays baseball team come into the course I was working at while in undergrad. Joe Maddon, James Shields, Ben Zobrist, Carl Crawford...

I've met Bobby Bell at a course in KC also. Nice enough guy but a little quiet.
  • aERonAUtical96aERonAUtical96 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 8:32pm #425

Not in my foursome, but played a fundraising scramble for local high school baseball team and Doug Flutie was the local celeb playing. Let him cut in line in front of me so he could eat and then head out for the obligatory pictures with foursomes.

I work the US Open for security/admissions group. I oversee the players gate, making sure non-players have the correct credentials, etc... so of course every player in the US Open plus past champions and on-air commentators (North, Azinger, etc). Most famous non-players who've come through my gate that I can remember:
    Gary Player (ok, exception to list... came in early Sunday at Chambers Bay for TV interview ripping on the course)
    Joe Theisman
    Hugh Jackman
    Sandra Day O'Conner (former SC Justice)
    The Stanley Cup brought in by Phil Kessel (2016 Oakmont right after Pens won the cup. Hopefully picture displays).

• The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
    edited Mar 31, 2019 1:18am #426

I didn't actually run into him, but a few weeks ago I just missed Kid Rock at my local club. He was getting in a practice round before flying out to Cali to play in the Genesis Open's Celebrity Cup.

• ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kujosit said:
    Steph Curry

Andre Iguodala

Jerry Rice

You must play at Stonebrae.

Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1
  • Grizz06Grizz06 Members Posts: 266 ✭✭

Mike Jordan & John Randle @ Spring Hill - Minnesota
    Tim Herron @ Hazeltine - Minnesota
    I think it was Sandra Gal @ RTJ in Mobile (she played through us) - Alabama

• bhj83bhj83 Kansas CityMembers Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tgard227 said:
    I played golf with Buck O'Neil a few times on Swope Golf Course in KC while growing up. One of the most genuine guys I've ever met. He would be out there in cut off jeans and a black Royals t-shirt in the middle of summer. The guy was 90 and could still hit the ball 240. Just a true gentleman all around.

I've played a few rounds with Joe Carter. He's a pretty solid player and also a nice guy. I had absolutely no clue who he was the first time I met him while at the old Nigro's driving range in Martin City. I asked him if he ever played any sports in college because I thought he was a pretty athletic guy, I didn't realize he had two world series rings to his name.

We had the entire Tampa Bay Rays baseball team come into the course I was working at while in undergrad. Joe Maddon, James Shields, Ben Zobrist, Carl Crawford...

I've met Bobby Bell at a course in KC also. Nice enough guy but a little quiet.

Only famous person I recall meeting on the course was also a Royal...Willie Wilson. I went to walk 9 at Dub's Dread one weekend afternoon while my wife and son napped and just happened to catch up to his twosome and he offered for me to join. Took me a couple of holes to realize who he was but really nice guy and pretty good golfer.

TaylorMade '16 M1 Tour 8.5
    Srixon F85 13.5 3W
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5W
    Srixon Combo Set: 4-6 Z785, 7-PW Z Forged
    Cleveland RTX 3 52, 58, 62
    Evnroll ER7
    Titleist ProV1X
    Bushnell Hybrid Rangefinder
    Linksouldier Golf Bag
  • jngolfjngolf Sage Valley 6.1 miles from Augusta NationalMembers Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

Mark Walhberg, Justin Timberlake, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Steve Harvey and a few others

TaylorMade M5 10.5
    TaylorMade M6 3 wood
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron
    TaylorMade P770 4-PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges 50, 54 and 58
    Taylormade Spider Tour X Copper
    TaylorMade TP5
  • NORFOLK757NORFOLK757 VirginiaMembers Posts: 13 ✭✭

ben roethlisberger @ Suffolk golf course. In Suffolk va. For some reason he was at a charity event at this course in the sticks.

• NORFOLK757NORFOLK757 VirginiaMembers Posts: 13 ✭✭

And in Virginia Beach David wright has a charity tournament and Redwing golf course. Always has mlb players like Zimmerman, Upton brothers, and forget Mike vick

• TaylorMadeforGolfTaylorMadeforGolf Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

Played in a foursome behind 11X NBA Champion Bill Russell moons ago at Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, Washington.

• ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Played in front of Jonathan Toews once. He could hit the ball a mile. Also played in the group behind John Paxson and Gar Forman. Those two are just as bad at golf as they are at being general managers. I don’t think Gar broke 100.

Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4-5 iron) and Tour (6-PW) w/ KBS C-Taper Lite 110 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Lajosi Sensor 303SS w/ oil can finish 
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lawrence Taylor at Spook Rock GC in NY, when LT was playing for the Giants. I was told, their training camp was nearby.

• bekgolfbekgolf Mostly Retired Members Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

2010 US Open at Pebble Beach. My wife says hi to some guy as we are walking. I don't think too much about it. Later that day we are in the bleachers off of 17. The same guy asks if anyone is sitting behind us. We say no and he takes a seat. We watch several groups come through, chit chatting as we watch golf.

We wait for the crowd to clear after Phil's group comes through before moving to another hole. I ask my wife who that guy was, she looks at me like I'm an idiot and replies "Hugh Jackman". I ask if that's someone she went to High School with? Apparently he's a famous movie actor.

Who knew? Now I know who he is but at the time he was just another golf fan. Decent guy.

• DYOS4DYOS4 Members Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry West at the Greenbrier.

Cobra F9 9*
    Mizuno ST190 15*
    Mizuno CLK 22*
    Titleist T-MB 4
    Srixon 745 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50* SM6 56*, 60*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5
  • parteegirlparteegirl Dallas, TXMembers Posts: 2

Last Feb, round at TPC Sawgrass. Played in front of the Duck Dynasty guys, passed Vijay Singh, Billy Horschel and Patton Kizzire on the back of the driving range. Also chatted with and hit balls on the range with Dick Miller, one of the infamous Founding Members @ Sawgrass.
    Played two holes behind Camilo Villegas @ PGA West in March.

• slc247slc247 Members Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jonathan Ogden. Had to lend him 20 bucks so he could pay for the potted plant that was on the 2nd story porch 280 out. Hole 11 at the Legacy, Las Vegas. He told us he wasn't allowed to bring his wallet with him to the golf course any longer.

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bekgolf said:
    2010 US Open at Pebble Beach. My wife says hi to some guy as we are walking. I don't think too much about it. Later that day we are in the bleachers off of 17. The same guy asks if anyone is sitting behind us. We say no and he takes a seat. We watch several groups come through, chit chatting as we watch golf.

We wait for the crowd to clear after Phil's group comes through before moving to another hole. I ask my wife who that guy was, she looks at me like I'm an idiot and replies "Hugh Jackman". I ask if that's someone she went to High School with? Apparently he's a famous movie actor.

Who knew? Now I know who he is but at the time he was just another golf fan. Decent guy.

LOL... I respect and appreciate your aloofness toward celebrities.

• Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

Was playing Peace Portal in Surrey BC and left my 56 wedge greenside at a hole previous. Borrowed a cart and drove back to retrieve it. Not much of a celebrity outside the hockey world but Willie Desjardins (ex-Canucks and ex-LA Kings coach) had my wedge in his bag waiting for me. I said "thanks coach!" and zoomed off with a decent story to tell.

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• RobertBaronRobertBaron Members Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

At clubs my parents belonged to, I’ve met or been in proximity to Lawrence Taylor, Bernhard Langer, Bernie Kosar, Paul Hornug and former Governor of CT, Lowell Weicker.

Recently at the range I practice at, ive hit next to Troy Mullins and Youngin Chun(does she count?)

• rsgolfhardrsgolfhard Members Posts: 103 ✭✭

The only famous person I’ve met on a course was Arnold Palmer. I played golf in college for the University of Findlay in Ohio. I got to the local country club for practice and they said he was on the course. I watched him play into 9, then tee off on 10. I got the courage up and asked for his autograph after coming off 10 tee box. He shook my hand and signed my scorecard for me. It was pretty awesome. There is a a large corporate Cooper office in Findlay, which is why he was there. Timing could not have been more perfect.

WITB:
    callaway Epic 9 degree A1 w/ AdDi-6 Stiff black
    Titleist 917 F2 15 degree B1 Setting Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade Rescue (2009) 17 degree stiff stock shaft
    Titleist 818 H1 19 degree B1 Setting Tensei Pro Blue S
    Mizuno 919f 4-PW DG 120 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.08 DG S300
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Black
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2019 2:54pm #445
  • ronnbeeronnbee Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Biggest pro Jerk- Curtis Strange

• MullymanMullyman United StatesMembers Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Played in a group behind Mike Schmidt years ago when he played for the Reading Phillies, only reason I knew it was I saw him a few nights earlier in his debut playing second base.

• stmikestmike Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

My wife played in a group right behind Bill Clinton at Rancho Park in L.A. once. She told me that one of the people she was playing with commented that he saw Clinton use a toe wedge to get his ball out of a bad lie in the rough.

• FifegolferFifegolfer Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Our club just down the road from the old course so over the years I have been a member I've personally seen Sean Connery, Adam Scott, David Frost, Brad Faxon( now a member) Henry Cooper, Gary Player, Will Ferrell, Lee Westwood, Monty, Barcelona FC

• Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ronnbee said:
    Biggest pro Jerk- Curtis Strange

Could you elaborate? Not saying you're right or wrong, but I'm always curious as to why people say this about people.

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 5, 2019 12:28am #451

@aERonAUtical96 said:
    The Stanley Cup brought in by Phil Kessel (2016 Oakmont right after Pens won the cup. Hopefully picture displays).

Phil, and several other NHL guys, play a fair amount at my club and actually took an extra cart out so he could play 18 with the cup. Always great to see him out enjoying himself and even more fun when he brings along Lord Stanley's Cup.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file