Most Forgiving Driver for Heel Strikes

twgolf78twgolf78 Posts: 184 ✭✭
My miss on the driver is on the heel. Every time. Im taking lessons trying to improve but it's not improving.

Im in the market for a new driver anyways so Im wondering if there is one more forgiving than the other when hitting the inside portion of the head.

Lately the ball has been fading but even on a solid hit the ball is only carrying 235 ish when I used to carry it 275 in a middle strike...

Any opinions?

Im already taking lessons.

Comments

• Spooky67Spooky67 Members Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Maybe get further away from the ball.? If you are further away it will be harder to hit the heel. My heel Miss is when I’m crowding the ball.
  • seslwr1seslwr1 Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Stick with the lessons. Forget buying a driver and settle on playing heel strikes. As you know, heel strikes are the worst place to strike it on a driver face. Maybe think about taking a different approach. Have you tried hitting a 3 wood. There are several models that are almost driver long if you can square them up.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TourEdge Exotics CBX 15* 3-Wood w/ HRZDUS Yellow 75 6.0[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75h Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged w/ Project X LZ Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 54*, & 58*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron X7[/font]
  • kgeorge78kgeorge78 Members Posts: 7,741 ✭✭
    i hit everything on the **** as well. No driver will help!

maybe Ping G400 max it's so big
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,349 ClubWRX
    Check the fit and/or fix the swing. No heel hit forgiving drivers out there.
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,074 ✭✭
    The Rogue is unbelievablly forgiving off the heel. It feels a bit odd when you miss it there. But the ball speed retention is vefy very high.
    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• Orange HogOrange Hog Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    Ping G400 SFT is by far the most forgiving driver I've ever gamed or demo'd when struck toward the heel. There's always going to be some gear effect but the G400 is ridiculously forgiving off-center.
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭
    edited Feb 24, 2018 #8
    Spooky67 wrote:

Maybe get further away from the ball.? If you are further away it will be harder to hit the heel. My heel Miss is when I’m crowding the ball.

+1 When I address the ball with the ball at the center of the crown at address, I hit it at the heel consistently since my downswing is so flat but when I address it further away from the ball, I nut it. Funny thing though, it only applies to the driver and woods, but not the irons, even the long ones. That's the byproduct of my swing improvement.

That's my quirk.

Don't feel so bad. George Knudson's book described the same problems he had when he was growing up.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    Titleist DCI 990 Irons (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold shafts in S300
    Taylormade ATV 54 deg & 58 deg wedges with stock KBS shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter
  • JStangJStang Members Posts: 2,381 ✭✭
    Your driver might be too long.
    F9 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 CBVokey SM6 52, 58Byron Morgan DH89
  • mjl2012mjl2012 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I have the same problem with frequent heel strikes with the driver. I’ve found moving further away from the ball helps tremendously for my swing.
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,280 ✭✭
    Fix the problem and you’ll be able to hit any driver you want.

Buy a new driver and you still suck at hitting driver.

You choose...
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭
    No new driver. Fix swing. Not to trivialize things, but swing so that you hit the ball in the center of the face. You can actually will that. Mid - high cappers tend to think that certain motions or positions will lead to a center strike. Good players focus on a center square strike and don't worry about motions or positions.
  • blink3665blink3665 #TwistFaceExperience Members Posts: 5,964 ✭✭
    I agree on the lessons. Lessons will help your ball striking immensely and will probably cost less than a new driver.

If you really just want a new driver the new m series from Taylormade is built for low heel and high toe misses. I'd highly recommend giving it a twirl if you're in the market.
    Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 / / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
    Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
    Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
    Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
    Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic
    Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
    Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
    Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
    GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link
  • ByeBye Posts: 1,307 ✭✭
    My miss is on the heel as well. I have found the moveable weight on the M1 to help me with consistency of strike and with the heel strike.

Out of interest what is your instructor telling you to change in your swing set up.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    Haven't hit it yet, but the Ping G400 Max might be worth a look. It's supposedly extremely forgiving image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,149 ✭✭
    I believe your shaft is too light if you are having heal strikes

Current Gamers

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TC Callaway X Hot 3 Deep 14.5...................Rombax P95 X
    Taylormade GAPR Mid 3..............................Recoil Utility 110F5
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................AMT TI X100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-PW....................................AMT TI X100
    Callaway MD Forged 50, 56.........................AMT TI S400
    TI Taylormade Hi Toe 60.09..........................AMT TI S400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 7,988 ✭✭
    edited Feb 24, 2018 #17
    Id say hit a demo days somewhere and try them all. I’d include the TM M3/M4 lineup as well as those already noted.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • Sparty5389Sparty5389 Members Posts: 10
    For me, if I try to swing too hard, I reach and hit off heel. Just my $0.02
    D: Callaway X2 Hot, Stiff, cut down .5"
    3W: Callaway X Hot, Stiff
    3H: Callaway X Series 416, 19*, R-Flex
    4i-AW: Callaway Steelhead XR, S-Flex (New for 2018)
    W: Vokey SM6 54* and 60*, S-Grind (New for 2018)
    P: MacGregor Response DT Mallet
  • SolidstrikeSolidstrike Members Posts: 301
    The TM M3/4 are the only woods I’ve ever heard of that claim to be better for heel side hits, as opposed to just overall forgiveness.
    Callaway XR Pro 9.5
    Titleist 915 F2 15
    Titleist 913F 19
    Mizuno MP 57
    Mizuno T7 50
    Mizuno T7 55
    Callaway PM 60
    Odyssey #1
  • SolidstrikeSolidstrike Members Posts: 301
    twgolf78 wrote:
    My miss on the driver is on the heel. Every time. Im taking lessons trying to improve but it's not improving.

Im in the market for a new driver anyways so Im wondering if there is one more forgiving than the other when hitting the inside portion of the head.

Lately the ball has been fading but even on a solid hit the ball is only carrying 235 ish when I used to carry it 275 in a middle strike...

Any opinions?

Im already taking lessons.

What does your pro say is the fix?
    Callaway XR Pro 9.5
    Titleist 915 F2 15
    Titleist 913F 19
    Mizuno MP 57
    Mizuno T7 50
    Mizuno T7 55
    Callaway PM 60
    Odyssey #1
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,601 ✭✭
    Shorten your driver 1/2" or choke down. Find a new pro, maybe, since your guy hasn't helped.

What driver are you playing now?
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75
    Rogue 4 wd. Atmos Blue TS 7 
    G 410 19* Tour 85
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭
    Sorry to trivialize this, but stop hitting it off the heel. No need for a new driver.
  • TMAG_GUYTMAG_GUY Members Posts: 15
    kgeorge78 wrote:

i hit everything on the **** as well. No driver will help!

maybe Ping G400 max it's so big

All drivers are maxed out at 460cc...
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,534 ✭✭
    I think drivers today are very comparable as far as distance and forgiveness are concerned, there's just too much technology out there that is common to all manufacturers. It's almost like asking which golf ball goes the farthest. With that being said I've had some great drives hit on the heel of my xr16 driver.
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,702 ✭✭
    I agree with some of the above posters., swing flaw or you need a shorter driver?! Doesn't hurt to try?! IMO, drivers should be more than 45''. Lots of You Tube reviews on this subject. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • Mr.HighFaderMr.HighFader Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Might be standing too close or try aligning the ball slighty toe side
  • getinthehoegetinthehoe Members Posts: 11
    Hit balls with your toes curled
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭
    I do not hit off the heel all the time, but when I do miss badly the low heel hits are my most common miss. Since you are working on your swing, you may want to wait until you get a little more consistency before getting fitted for a new driver since your swing plane may completely change.

But if I had to suggest a driver for someone with occasional heel hits it would be the Rogue, or possibly even the Rogue draw. Trackman showed I was still losing ball speed on those hits but it was losing 2-4 mph of ball speed which was equating to 3-9 yards of lost distance with the Rogue. The Ping G400 Max was very similar in ball speed on heel hits , but my spin numbers were so low that the ball would just fall out of the air. Though this was the case for me as well on well struck shots with the G400 Max. So the numbers were saying it was a forgiving driver, just not the overall driver for me. The TM M4 the heel hits ended up closer to the center line, but they lost a lot of ball speed and distance. Sometimes 15 to 20 yards on low heel hits. These are just the results with my "baseball" style swing, so you may experience something completely different.
    WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

Fix the problem and you’ll be able to hit any driver you want.

Buy a new driver and you still suck at hitting driver.

You choose...

It's that simple.
  • PatsNationPatsNation Posts: 1,490 ✭✭
    Chop current drive down 1/2 inch and give it a shot before buying a new driver
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,052 ✭✭