Epic Driver

kmc

I've been playing an Callaway XR 10.5 for a while and hitting it well. It was purchased off the rack. I drank the new driver kool aid and decided to get fit for a driver. The Epic gave me the best numbers with a Recoil shaft. The new driver is 44.5". Not sure what the length of the XR was but I know it was about an inch longer. Fast forward to now and it's apparent that the XR was better for me from a distance as well as a consistency aspect. Not sure what to do. Keep it and try different shafts or start over. Has anyone else regressed after a fitting? What did you do?

Thx KMC

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had xr15 and Epic was better in every way for me. I wound up with Fusion at 44.5* w/Recoil. Best drives with Epic were only slightly longer than best drives with Fusion but Fusion was in the fairway at a greater frequency.

Epic was standard length, Fusion at 44.5* with 12g weight in the head. The standard length Fusion (45.5) only comes with a 5g weight. The shorter length Fusion should have the heavier weight as a result of the shorter shaft so I’d start there. Maybe purchase a second weight or add some lead tape to the Epic.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I had xr15 and Epic was better in every way for me. I wound up with Fusion at 44.5* w/Recoil. Best drives with Epic were only slightly longer than best drives with Fusion but Fusion was in the fairway at a greater frequency.

Epic was standard length, Fusion at 44.5* with 12g weight in the head. The standard length Fusion (45.5) only comes with a 5g weight. The shorter length Fusion should have the heavier weight as a result of the shorter shaft so I’d start there. Maybe purchase a second weight or add some lead tape to the Epic.

It came with a second weight.

I found a pre-owned epic, standard 44.5, Hzrdus R shaft. At first it was longer and pretty straight w a mild fade.

Hit some v long drives w it. One drivable par 4 on my home course I finally hit the green. Conditions were perfect that day, but to finally hit it was nice.

But then the regression did happen. And I'm blaming the club, lol. Went back to 915d3 w my old Kai'li, and much happier.

Just felt the Epic was looser. Definitely higher upside, but lots of misses right. My usual miss was left.

I dunno, not apples to apples bc of shaft. Put the same shaft on 90pct of same loft heads and you're gonna get similar results.

I found a pre-owned epic, standard 44.5, Hzrdus R shaft. At first it was longer and pretty straight w a mild fade.

Hit some v long drives w it. One drivable par 4 on my home course I finally hit the green. Conditions were perfect that day, but to finally hit it was nice.

But then the regression did happen. And I'm blaming the club, lol. Went back to 915d3 w my old Kai'li, and much happier.

Just felt the Epic was looser. Definitely higher upside, but lots of misses right. My usual miss was left.

I dunno, not apples to apples bc of shaft. Put the same shaft on 90pct of same loft heads and you're gonna get similar results.

I've been missing right also. My usual miss is a hook. I draw the ball with every other club. Think I'll start over. Thx

I have heard Epics tend to go right. A fitting is only as good as your swing that day. For me, my swing can change a little so maybe that was something for you. I would stick with what works. A few years ago I decided I needed a new driver and FW. Well I spent 3 seasons trying a bunch of stuff only going back to what I had. For me, newer is not always better. Newercubs have newer tech but that does not always equal being better for everyone.

Epic is the best driver I've ever played. I am a Callaway fanboy and have played them all. I was never a fan of the XR15 purely for cosmetic reasons but I couldnt get over it. I paired the Epic with a ADTP 6X and have never driven the ball so consistently well. I also don't care for thehollow sound and feel of the XR15 compared to the compact solid feel of the Epic.

I absolutely love my Epic. The forgiveness is its main feature and I did manage to gain some yardage with it. Nothing earth shattering but enough to get my attention. But, as with all of the equipment out there, I have found some cons that go hand-in-hand along with the pros.

It's loud. Really loud - some might compare it to the sound of an aluminum baseball bat. Just very "tinny". That's one thing I LOVE about my 915 - nothing could possibly sound any more solid and the Epic falls a little short here for me.

Because it is longer if you really mishit it offline you will end up in even more trouble.

It has a lot of adjustments and can take some time to get truly dialed in if you didn't get fully fitted for it when you bought it. It's a fun process but still a tedious one.

Overall like I said I love mine. But I can definitely understand how it would not be for everyone. Cannot imagine too many people who are truly happy with their current "gamer" pulling the old one out and replacing it with this one.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I am loving my Epic, but it did not start out that way. I was fitted at a local "Retailer" and the fitter was telling me that I was getting 10 - 15 yards more than my 915 D3 (9.5*) with a little Draw. He had fitted me in a 10.5* head in the T800 shaft turned to the neutral -1* setting at the stock 45.5". I took the bait and bought the Epic.

I was excited to get the driver to the outdoor driving range (was fitted indoors), only to not be able to keep the Epic on the planet. The little draw the fitter described was a huge high slice. I played with settings and the weights, but could not control the Epic. I ordered a shaft to replace the T800 and went with heavier Fujikura Pro TS 73 for a driver length @ 44.5". Still was not getting consistent ball flight at -1. Moved it to standard 10.5*, and still was pretty uncontrollable. I was ready to give up on the Epic experiment, but took it back to the range again and kept adjusting the weights as well as turned the setting up to +1 (11.5*). Wow. A very straight flight and is definitely 10 - 15 yards longer than my 915D3.

I have played now multiple times, and it is just fun to give the Epic a rip and trust it will hit the fairway. I missed 2 fairways my last round, 1 just left (my bad swing) and the other actually rolled through the green of a short par 4. Had never driven this green before, usually put the drive in the front bunkers.

I know it is not relevant to your question regarding a XR vs Epic, but as others have said, changing the settings and weights can make this driver come alive.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 10.5* set to 11.5* Fujikura Motore 60 Stiff 45"
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ 16* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Aldila Tour Blue 70 Stiff or Hy: Callaway Apex 20* w/ Kuro Kage 80 Stiff

4-Hy: Ping G410 w/ Tour Stiff
Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-AW) Nippon Modus Stiff (+1")
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 (53* & 57*) DG Stiff (+1")
Putter: Scotty Cameron X-5 (36")
Stand Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

I have successfully transition from the XR16 to the Epic SZ; it’s a solid 15 yards longer for me.

Somebody mentioned about right misses, it is true. My previous misses awere pulls and with my current set-up; I’m hitting power fades.

My friend, was driving a 917 285 yards and switched over to the Epic after test hitting mine and now drives a minimum 300 yards; it’s rediculous.

I absolutely love my Epic. The forgiveness is its main feature and I did manage to gain some yardage with it. Nothing earth shattering but enough to get my attention. But, as with all of the equipment out there, I have found some cons that go hand-in-hand along with the pros.

It's loud. Really loud - some might compare it to the sound of an aluminum baseball bat. Just very "tinny". That's one thing I LOVE about my 915 - nothing could possibly sound any more solid and the Epic falls a little short here for me.

Because it is longer if you really mishit it offline you will end up in even more trouble.

It has a lot of adjustments and can take some time to get truly dialed in if you didn't get fully fitted for it when you bought it. It's a fun process but still a tedious one.

Overall like I said I love mine. But I can definitely understand how it would not be for everyone. Cannot imagine too many people who are truly happy with their current "gamer" pulling the old one out and replacing it with this one.

My buddy had a 915 D3 and I thought it was make your ears bleed loud. We play in an indoor sim league in the winters. So, being in a small hitting bay probably didn't help the issue. I'm always interested in how different people perceive sound/feel. It's subjective, so opinions can vary widely. It's a funny game, how you mentally perceive equipment can make a huge difference in confidence and performance.

I didn't care for the regular Epic. It felt hollow where the SZ feels more solid. I didn't get a real fitting as much as I tried the different stock shafts while a young kid changed them out for me. It took a couple blind shaft change before I found what I feel is my perfect setup. No LM numbers to reference, just on course results. So, it can take some tinkering to dial it in. Some enjoy it, others may not.

I find it works so well, I'm actually going to play the same driver for two seasons for the first time in probably a decade.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I've been playing an Callaway XR 10.5 for a while and hitting it well. It was purchased off the rack. I drank the new driver kool aid and decided to get fit for a driver. The Epic gave me the best numbers with a Recoil shaft. The new driver is 44.5". Not sure what the length of the XR was but I know it was about an inch longer. Fast forward to now and it's apparent that the XR was better for me from a distance as well as a consistency aspect. Not sure what to do. Keep it and try different shafts or start over. Has anyone else regressed after a fitting? What did you do?

Thx KMC

I was playing with a Ping G400 and was doing well with it. Like you I decided to get fit for a driver (kicking myself). I was fitted for a Rogue SZ which is good, but I keep thinking of my Ping G400 and how much more comfortable I was with it. Luckily I kept the Ping G400 and it’s back in my bag. Reminds me when I was a teenager and having a great girlfriend. Then breaking-up to date the hot girl and after a few dates missing my old girfriend. Thank goodness, my Ping will take me back. Hahaha!

Funny reading about the misses right. I hit a draw and it can turn into a hook. From day one on the course, I started to miss right occasionally. When I hit it well it would go straight but my miss turned into the right.

A buddy of mine noticed and mentioned that these new low spin heads might result in this type of issue. Who knows but that was all it took for me. I can work with some way miss, both ways=no bueno