Best iron sole style for hard fairways?

hardcaliberhardcaliber Posts: 703 ✭✭
edited Feb 24, 2018 in Equipment #1
I have a feeling opinions will be all over the place but I'm curious.

What is the best sole type for hard fairways?

For me, I like to pick the ball pretty clean and I think a thin sole allows me to do that better. Even though I sometimes have a tendency to hit fat, I think a hard fairway kind of naturally prevents digging, which I have heard others claim can be a problem with thin soles. My experience with wider soles is that its harder to pick the ball clean and interaction with hard ground can be unpredictable. Sometimes i'll get a weird sensation of the club bouncing off the ground or the toe opening etc.

I have often heard that wider soles are more forgiving generally. If this due to turf interaction or due to more mass being low?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,739 ✭✭
    If you pick the ball then any sole should work really.

A wider sole is more forgiving because it supposedly gets in and out of the turf faster if you get a little steep or the ground is softer.

The ball should be gone before there is any real interaction between the club and the ground so if you hit it that fat no sole will really help you .
    Taylormade M4 9.5 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    3w — undecided
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
  • TMAG_GUYTMAG_GUY Members Posts: 15
    Kale_m wrote:

If you pick the ball then any sole should work really.

A wider sole is more forgiving because it supposedly gets in and out of the turf faster if you get a little steep or the ground is softer.

The ball should be gone before there is any real interaction between the club and the ground so if you hit it that fat no sole will really help you .

Yes, but if the groud is firm, it’ll never dig, so a thinner sole will be able to dig & take a small divot.
  • mahoniemahonie Members Posts: 2,377 ✭✭
    As a picker, thin sole works for me especially on links type turf. Having said that, I get really steep with my wedges so I have just switched to have more bounce and it has transformed my short game.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,059 ✭✭
    I prefer a club that will cut a divot rather than bounce off firm turf. I think the bouncing makes me reluctant to hit the ground.
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,589 ✭✭
    The Srixon vsole has worked for me in every type of lie including 10 rounds in Scotland.
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • KCCOKCCO Members Posts: 1,870 ✭✭
    I would assume something with less bounce, and/or something with a trailing edge that is machined down quite a bit...like a 745? Mentioned above I believe
    Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
    Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
    Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
    Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
    PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
    009 ProV1

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,028 ✭✭
    edited Feb 25, 2018 #8
    cxx wrote:

I prefer a club that will cut a divot rather than bounce off firm turf. I think the bouncing makes me reluctant to hit the ground.

Exactly. Thinner and sharper leading edge. Maybe with trail relief to get out of the turf faster too. I like a long shallow divot. Love playing off hard pan and hard red clay. No real way to hit a fat shot.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot