2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Harvester Golf Club - Iowa

mci711

Was on the website today, and was shocked they are closed for the year for renovations and reopening next year as a private club again. I think the craziest part is they are making improvements to an already amazing course. Sad it is going to be private, glad I played it when i did. So underrated.

http://www.harvestergolf.com/

EDIT: That being said, have already requested national membership information.

Wonder where Iowa State will play in 2018 and if they’ll have rights to play there in 2019.

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

I'm going to call and hope they have some sort of contingency to allow public play at a premium or on site lodging/stay and play packages. That golf course was so close to perfect. Grateful for the rounds I've played there the last 10 years.

If they respond, let us know. I played it for the first time last year and it has become one of my favorite courses I played.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

I'm going to call and hope they have some sort of contingency to allow public play at a premium or on site lodging/stay and play packages. That golf course was so close to perfect. Grateful for the rounds I've played there the last 10 years.

If they respond, let us know. I played it for the first time last year and it has become one of my favorite courses I played.

If they won’t allow public access that makes me sad. That course is as good as anything up in that part of the country. Including Whistling Straits and Erin Hills.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that's a HUGE bummer. Me and a buddy were planning on going up there this year to play a couple rounds... And to think I lived in Des Moines for 3 years and never took the time to play it... *sigh*

Also... Who do they think is going to join there? The nearest metro is DSM and it already has Des Moines golf and Wakanda. Its also not exactly close...

Not to mention Glen Oaks, Echo Valley, Hyperion and several decent public courses. It is a very good course but I would be surprised if they got over 200 members.

I'm always amazed DSM metro can support as many quality golf courses as it can. I thought I was spoiled growing in in Springfield, Missouri... But the golf in Des Moines is truly outstanding. If only the winters didn't last forever.... And If only I'd had more time to play when I lived there...

It's not about money. The owner has said that. He wants perfection of a golf course. He said if it was about money he would build more apartments and housing (other businesses he owns). But with golf, it isn't about the money or membership.

Is it the same guy who lives in Ankeny and owns his own golf course? Cause dang whoever owns it must really not care about money...

That’s just it. Most locals know there are much better options price wise in the greater Des Moines area so they skipped the harvester and it’s $130 green fee thinking they would get to play it later. I live in Texas and every year would get to play it and it was a religious experience every time. It’s not hard to grow great grass and greens in Iowa so every course was always exceptional.

That's just it. Most locals know there are much better options price wise in the greater Des Moines area so they skipped the harvester and it's $130 green fee thinking they would get to play it later. I live in Texas and every year would get to play it and it was a religious experience every time. It's not hard to grow great grass and greens in Iowa so every course was always exceptional.

I'm guilty of it as well. I always intended on playing it and was going to this year. I agree with your point too, I mean, when I lived in DSM TCI was $50 and was much closer to where I lived. I was in Law school there so time and cash were things I had little of.

I also agree about course conditions there. Even the Muni I used to play in DSM was usually in pretty decent shape. My whole time there I never played a course that was in "bad" shape... Maybe a little damp in the spring but that's it. Better than I can say in southwest Missouri or DFW (where I spend a large amount of my time these days).

Not to mention Glen Oaks, Echo Valley, Hyperion and several decent public courses. It is a very good course but I would be surprised if they got over 200 members.

I'm always amazed DSM metro can support as many quality golf courses as it can. I thought I was spoiled growing in in Springfield, Missouri... But the golf in Des Moines is truly outstanding. If only the winters didn't last forever.... And If only I'd had more time to play when I lived there...

It's not about money. The owner has said that. He wants perfection of a golf course. He said if it was about money he would build more apartments and housing (other businesses he owns). But with golf, it isn't about the money or membership.

Is it the same guy who lives in Ankeny and owns his own golf course? Cause dang whoever owns it must really not care about money...

Dennis Albaugh owns the Talons Course, he is a billionaire.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

NOOOOOOO!!!!! I live 30 minutes away and still have not played it. Sounds like I may never get the chance, and that would suck. Keep us updated!

Yep, we dropped the ball, were going to play it last year, said we will just get it next year. I guess we done f'd up.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

The Harvester is owned by Dickson Jensen, he's a real estate developer in the Ames area. He's also built two insane AAU basketball facilities in Ames that are incredible. I've also heard the same thing too that he does not care about whether the course makes money or not, just built the course for him and his friends to play at. Both times I've played there it has been fairly empty with only a couple of other groups playing at the most. Now I know that two times isn't anywhere close to being a big enough sample size to make any broad statements about the number of golfers they get throughout the season, but if that's the norm it would make sense to go private and get a more consistent cash stream coming from membership compared to public greens fees. Also, I've heard he wants the course to be a top 100 golf course and so that explains the renovations and possibly going private.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 - Fuji Pro 63x Tour Spec
Callaway Rogue 15 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron - X100 AMT Tour Issue
Mizuno 919T 4-9- X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 46 - X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 50, 56, & 60 - S400 Tour Issue
Taylormade TP Ardmore 3

The Harvester is owned by Dickson Jensen, he's a real estate developer in the Ames area. He's also built two insane AAU basketball facilities in Ames that are incredible. I've also heard the same thing too that he does not care about whether the course makes money or not, just built the course for him and his friends to play at. Both times I've played there it has been fairly empty with only a couple of other groups playing at the most. Now I know that two times isn't anywhere close to being a big enough sample size to make any broad statements about the number of golfers they get throughout the season, but if that's the norm it would make sense to go private and get a more consistent cash stream coming from membership compared to public greens fees. Also, I've heard he wants the course to be a top 100 golf course and so that explains the renovations and possibly going private.

I have played there twice. The first time my girlfriend and I played, we didn't see a single person. 2nd time we played we passed a 4 some early in the round and didn't see anyone else. Both time we were the only ones on the range, in the pro shop etc. When it reopens I am definitely going to do what I can to play it. Can only imagine how good it will be.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Changes look pretty nice. Can't believe they will be going private and no longer public. Guess I should have went last summer to play instead of waiting.

• Ping G430 Driver 9*
  • Ping G400 3 Wood
  • TaylorMade M4 HL 5 Wood
  • TaylorMade P790 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 50*
  • TaylorMade Hi Toe 54*
  • Titleist Vokey SM8 60*
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

• 6 months later...

Was on the website today, and was shocked they are closed for the year for renovations and reopening next year as a private club again. I think the craziest part is they are making improvements to an already amazing course. Sad it is going to be private, glad I played it when i did. So underrated.

Did you end up finding out about memberships?

I requested info, and they responded that they would have info in the future. Ha, so no.

I requested info, and they responded that they would have info in the future. Ha, so no.

Gotcha. Just realized they aren’t actually opening until 2020 as well. Wow.

Gotcha. Just realized they aren't actually opening until 2020 as well. Wow.

May be longer than 2020, given the other issues that their architect is facing.

Gotcha. Just realized they aren't actually opening until 2020 as well. Wow.

May be longer than 2020, given the other issues that their architect is facing.

Where does it say 2020, website still says May 2019.

Is Foster in jail already? I don't know what protocol is for something like that, does he keep working. I am assuming he has a trial in the future. Maybe they get someone else to come in. What an odd/crappy situation.