Cobra F8  VA Raijin
    Cobra F9 VA Raijin
    Ping S55 Accra 110 tour
    Ping glide stealth Accra 110 tour
    Bettinardi limited minovai
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members Posts: 2,687 ✭✭
    cz13X4 wrote:

Does ping add melt to the max heads?

I'm not positive they had geeloo to every head, however, they can be ordered that way with the placement of your choice.
    PING G400 Max Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 15º ~ GD Tour AD DI
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 23º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5–PW ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
    e-man wrote:

Has anyone removed the weight on the max to see whether it would be easy to feed some yarn in there to muffle the sound?

Yes, once the weight is removed you can add yarn using the same hole Ping uses to add geeloo.
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,053 ✭✭

e-man wrote:

Has anyone removed the weight on the max to see whether it would be easy to feed some yarn in there to muffle the sound?

Yes, once the weight is removed you can add yarn using the same hole Ping uses to add geeloo.

Is it the same size hole as the g30?
    e-man wrote:

e-man wrote:

Is it the same size hole as the g30?

Not sure what size hole is in the G30. But the hole is the same hole that the **** that holds that weight goes in... if that gives you an idea.
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • SUMM1TSUMM1T Members Posts: 853 ✭✭
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the pros are using hot melt to put added weight in specific locations changing the spin/launch characteristics of the Max. This would also deaden the sound of it as well. I’ve had great success fitting my clients into the G400 Max, especially those who bought the LST thinking they needed it.
  • johnnyprojohnnypro Members Posts: 1,847 ✭✭
    edited Mar 19, 2018 #38
    kcowgolf wrote:

Hit them both with Hzdrus black (my current gamer shaft) and the LST had better results. Max sound is a little bit of a turn off.

So far, I have only hit my Max on the range but I think it's a great club for me.

Problem is the sound: loud and maybe a little tinny.

There's been a lot of talk here about stuffing cotton or cotton balls into a head to mute the sound.

My question is this: how does one go about doing that?

I removed the back weight but I can't imagine how you can stuff cotton balls into that teeny hole.

Maybe I'm missing something but can anyone suggest how to do this?

And just how many cotton balls do you need?
  • cz13X4cz13X4 Members Posts: 5,584 ✭✭
    Pull the cotton ball apart and shove it in with a toothpick or paperclip. I put 2 in my g30ls and it changed quite a bit. Some people jam it full
    Ping g410 
    Cobra F8  VA Raijin
    Cobra F9 VA Raijin
    Ping S55 Accra 110 tour
    Ping glide stealth Accra 110 tour
    Bettinardi limited minovai
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 3,956 ClubWRX
    Anyone notice a slower swing speed between the LST/Regular 400 vs the MAX? I ask because it seems, according to GC2, that most 460 heads I can max out around 105... the regular G400 I was able to get up to 108-09, also with the Titleist D3 head. Dont know if its a smaller head characteristic or just me.

Also, I just grabbed a Tour 65 regular and tipped it 3/4". It performs really well in terms of dispersion for me but seems to get up in the air and almost die, not quite balloon but a gentler version... I am wondering if the 10* LS head might help for a little more penetrating flight and hit the ground running. Anyone go from the 9* regular to the LS head at 10*?
    Ping G400 9* Proforce V2 66s
    Taylormade M2 15* Proforce V2 66s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Srixon Z745 4-P PX 5.5 Flighted
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76 ClubWRX Posts: 1,427 ClubWRX
    I went from the g400 8.5 LST to the g400 Max and love the results. Hitting more fairways and it's just as long as the LST.

What's goofy is that I had the 65g ping tour shaft in stiff flex in the LST and really liked it and had good results. I put it in the Max and didn't have the same results, as a matter of fact it was terrible with the Max head! Played with the stock Alta 55g stiff shaft and I am hitting the snot out of the ball. I had the original Alta in the LST and hated it and had terrible results. Just really odd.

As others as have said the Max is definitely louder than the LST, but nothing like the g30 or g loud.

Hitting more fairways with the same distance, what's not to love?
  • TommyjTommyj Members Posts: 335 ✭✭
    Landy wrote:

Hello - I have the MAX with the XTorsion and also looking at the LST, but I swing at 90mph.

Will I see much of a benefit? Thank you

I swing around mid 90's and found the standard G400 worked much better than the LST for my swing speed. I was testing outside and could see mishits with the LST really dive off low and short. Mishits with the standard G400 were much more playable. I've also hit the Max and that would be the overall choice for me at my SS. Also like the added confidence from the look of the larger head.
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,045 ✭✭
    I picked one up today. 9 degree with alta cb stiff. Wow is it loud but very forgiving and seems long too. Definitely more forgicing then my epic sub zero. I think of average it is going to be longer. Excited to put into play. PING is regaining a foot print in my bag.
    PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
    Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
    Edel DVR 50, s200
    SM7 54F / 58K
    SC Studio Style Newport 2
  • reider69reider69 Posts: 602 ✭✭
    These new drivers piqued my interest so I went to the Ping website. I was shocked at how poor the stock shaft selection was and how expensive these drivers get with an upgraded shaft. It seems every other manufacturer has better no upcharge shaft selections. Am I missing something?
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,177 ClubWRX
    edited May 7, 2018 #45
    reider69 wrote:

These new drivers piqued my interest so I went to the Ping website. I was shocked at how poor the stock shaft selection was and how expensive these drivers get with an upgraded shaft. It seems every other manufacturer has better no upcharge shaft selections. Am I missing something?

They do lack in variety, but they don’t offer terrible shafts. They have something to fit everyone. For me, the Ping Tour shaft is excellent. I like it so much better than the HZRDUS line, as one example. Don’t know who makes it for them but it is really good for my game. Looks nice too. Hitting the ball longer and straighter with the standard G400 and Tour 65 stiff. My second go-round with this shaft. Played a heavier one previously in a hybrid and it was excellent. Also like the Kuro Kage. Pretty close second.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 3,956 ClubWRX
    Just got my MAX from Ping today... HZRDUS Yellow 76 at 45" playing length and I had them add a little hotmelt to the top of the face. I am hoping it tames the sound at least a little... I have yet to actually hit it though. I will report back when I do.... feels really stable and balanced just swinging in the yard though.
    Ping G400 9* Proforce V2 66s
    Taylormade M2 15* Proforce V2 66s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Srixon Z745 4-P PX 5.5 Flighted
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • lil'mikelil'mike Members Posts: 1,264 ✭✭
    Maybe I need to sell some Callaway driver's and pick me up one of those G400 Max driver's! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,725 ✭✭
    The Max sound outside it not bad at all. I actually like it, sounds like you nailed it. Plus, this this just wants to go straight and really run out in the Arizona fairways.
    TM M6 10.5 GD AD DI Black 6
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
  • CT10CT10 Posts: 233 ✭✭
    edited May 8, 2018 #49
    Guys I've been thinking of either a G400 lst or max, I launch the ball low with a lot of spin. I've been trying a 10 degree lst on the small - setting and its good but if I was to get an 8.5 degree head and go large + will that set the driver up as more draw bias?

I cant find this information anywhere? Thanks
  • Cruisin1966Cruisin1966 ClubWRX Posts: 740 ClubWRX
    CT10 wrote:

. . . 8.5 degree head and go large + will that set the driver up as more draw bias? . . .

Yes, upping the loft, closes the face

Mizuno ST190 @ 9.5º
    Callaway Flash SZ 3 Wood @ 15º
    Ping G410 2H @ 17º
    Srixon z785 4-AW
    Taylormade MG Wedge @ 54º
    Taylormade HT Wedge @ 60º
    Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

• LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,045 ✭✭
    LaymanM wrote:

I picked one up today. 9 degree with alta cb stiff. Wow is it loud but very forgiving and seems long too. Definitely more forgicing then my epic sub zero. I think of average it is going to be longer. Excited to put into play. PING is regaining a foot print in my bag.

Put my new G400 Max into play last night. I ended up having my Aldila Rogue Max 75x pulled from my Epic Sub Zero and threw a new PING tip on it. Butt trimmed to 45" playing length. WOW it's a great set up. Found some spots I am not familiar with on my regular course. My driving round was very good. It is long and forgiving.

Specs:

G400 Max 9*

Aldila Rouge Max 75x (mid launch)

GP mcc+4

I might even need to loft up .6* But right now, hitting mid trajectory, piercing bullets.
    PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
    Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
    Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
    Edel DVR 50, s200
    SM7 54F / 58K
    SC Studio Style Newport 2
  • HehatemeHehateme Posts: 546 ✭✭
    One of my golf bud's traded his 400lst for a max last week and I played out of his bag a bunch today. I must say that I really like the 400max. His has the Tour 65 shaft, off the shelf. Sounds good outside, ball goes a mile. I really liked his 400lst, really really like the 400 max
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,177 ClubWRX
    Hehateme wrote:

One of my golf bud's traded his 400lst for a max last week and I played out of his bag a bunch today. I must say that I really like the 400max. His has the Tour 65 shaft, off the shelf. Sounds good outside, ball goes a mile. I really liked his 400lst, really really like the 400 max

I have the standard G400 with the 65g Tour stiff shaft and I really have never driven the ball any better. Very easy to hit well. The sound is excellent, much more satisfying at impact than a head with a carbon fiber chassis, not that there is anything wrong with those.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • ericm007ericm007 Be the ball! Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #54
    johnnypro wrote:

kcowgolf wrote:

Hit them both with Hzdrus black (my current gamer shaft) and the LST had better results. Max sound is a little bit of a turn off.

So far, I have only hit my Max on the range but I think it's a great club for me.

There's been a lot of talk here about stuffing cotton or cotton balls into a head to mute the sound.

I removed the back weight but I can't imagine how you can stuff cotton balls into that teeny hole.

Hi,

Here is what I did to my G30 LST a couple of years ago based on information I found on the forum. I like using the yarn because if you wanted to remove it I believe it would be easier, though I haven't done so.

It is the thicker yarn and I got it at Wally World. 10' adds about 1 swingweight point, I added 20' to mine and that made it sound a lot better.

Eric
    Callaway Apex 20° VS Proto 80 S
    Callaway Apex 23° VS Proto 80 S
    Ping i200 6-W Blue Dot UST Recoil 110 S +½"
    Ping Glide 2.0 SS 52 - KBS 610 R+ +½"
    Ping Glide SS 56 - KBS 610 R+ +½"
    Ping Glide ES 60 - KBS 610 R+ +½"
    Taylormade Spider Black Tour 35"
  • boulAAYYYboulAAYYY Members Posts: 452 ✭✭
    ericm007 wrote:

johnnypro wrote:

kcowgolf wrote:

Hi,

Here is what I did to my G30 LST a couple of years ago based on information I found on the forum. I like using the yarn because if you wanted to remove it I believe it would be easier, though I haven't done so.

It is the thicker yarn and I got it at Wally World. 10' adds about 1 swingweight point, I added 20' to mine and that made it sound a lot better.

Eric

hotmelt is a better option IMO
    Ping G400 LST 9*(DL and HM) W/ Matrix TP7HDe XX
    Callaway x2hot Aldila tour green 85TX
    Honma TW-U forged 18* W/ KBS Prototype 95X
    Honma TW737V 4-pw w/ KBS $-Taper
    Callaway md3 49/54/58 w/ KBS tour X
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5s 35"
    Swing: https://youtu.be/dRK_GXV7rDg (Driver FV)
    https://youtu.be/2pszXHplqx4 (DTL)
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 268 ClubWRX
    I hit both before landing on the LST. I personally like the smaller head shape and the sound is a little more muted which was huge for me. (Max kind of looked like a balloon at the end of the shaft)

I am a pretty high spin player so I definitely need the LST. You can't go wrong with either. Small differences to tailor to different swings.
    WITB:
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Ping Tour 75 S
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tensei CK Blue 80 HY or Taylormade P790 UDI, HZRDUS Black 6.0
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130 x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D (bent to 51, 55)
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • provxprovx Members Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Ive had both and use the max . G400 lst goes farther for me on ideal strikes. Max much more forgiving for me so i dont mind giving up 5 yards on perfect hits.

Ball flight for me is similar except for thin shots where the max will spin up more than the lst.

Using the pro irange 70tx and its a beast of a club in the max
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Members Posts: 447 ✭✭
    had both at one point.

I prefer the max overall. I only really liked the sound of the LST better.
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,859 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #59
    these are the two its down to for me.

i play a 440 SLDR TP now and typically prefer the quieter head and smaller head, which mentally has me liking the LST more, before i even hit them. i keep telling myself i will have to let the results do the talking.
    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • NorthMNgolferNorthMNgolfer ClubWRX Posts: 301
    I have found nothing that can get my G30 LST out of my hands to this point and I have hit a bunch of stuff against it. Best driver I have ever played in terms of distance and forgiveness.

I am resisting so much right now in going in and trying out the 400 line...........But I am not a strong person when it comes to new clubs. LOL
    My Current Bag.

Callaway Rouge 9* - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 65
    Taylormade M1 3 HL Wood - HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 75
    Taylormade GAPR 2 - HZRDUS Black 6.0 85
    Taylormade M1 4h -
    Ping i25 Irons - 5-PW
    Taylormade Hi Toe 50*
    Taylormade Hi Toe 56*
    Taylormade Hi Tow 60*
    Odyssey O-Works Red #1 Wide S - Flat Cat Tak
  • HackATKHackATK Members Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #61

I have found nothing that can get my G30 LST out of my hands to this point and I have hit a bunch of stuff against it. Best driver I have ever played in terms of distance and forgiveness.

I am resisting so much right now in going in and trying out the 400 line...........But I am not a strong person when it comes to new clubs. LOL

If you love the G30 LST I can guarantee that you will walk out with a G400 LST. The G400 line of drivers are Pings best by far, I believe. The G400 LST is quiet compared to other G lines of drivers and feel the 400 are more forgiving.