Dog Breed

Comments

• JMG_02JMG_02 Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
    I'm glad I read this thread. We have two labs, and they are just awesome (we also have two small children, 6 and 4 year old girls). Our dogs are the best dogs ever, they tolerate all kinds of "dressing up" and hanging around their necks, etc. However, they are 12 and 11 years old and we can tell they aren't going to be with us much longer.

My wife has thrown down an ultimatum though, no shedding dogs anymore. She loves our dogs as much as I do, but the shedding drives her nuts and I guess I can't blame her.

I have an ultimatum that I don't want a goldendoodle, yorkiepoodle, or any other type of designer dog. However, I've never thought about a Boxer before and that sounds great. I'm going to look into Boxer rescues around us.
  • Jose c.Jose c. Members Posts: 195 ✭✭
    Never meet a bad boxer love the breed however don't they have a short life span.
  • chipaputtchipaputt Charter Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    I've had four Labs. All love kids and know how to act around them.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:3036798]
  • jkc-rvajkc-rva Blasian Members Posts: 1,047
    Adopt a young shelter dog. I have two pit mixes that I adopted at 1yr of age and they love people (especially children), other dogs, and even other animals. Proper socialization is more important than breed, IMO.
    Callaway GBB Epic 9*
    Callaway GBB Epic 3W
    Adams MB2 3-PW
    Callaway MD3 Milled 52*, 56*
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 60*
    Odyssey White Ice #3

Click me and buy my stuff: Miura Wedges, SM6 58* K Grind Wedge, Ping Vault Oslo Putter, Scotty Golo 5, cheap!
  • hnryclayhnryclay Members Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Any young shelter dog. There are too many dogs now, shelter pets have so much to offer. We have adopted 4 over the last 20 years, all have been great additions to our family.
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,783 ✭✭
    edited Mar 23, 2018 #38
    We currently have 2 daughters and 2 dogs with a 3rd dog likely getting adopted in a week.

"My" dog is a 15 year old mixed breed rescue (Australian Cattle dog possibly). He's self feeding and has never had an accident in the house. If I could get him to comb out his undercoat, he'd be basically perfect. He was almost two when we got him and has been there since each of my daughters were born. He's always been their protector. He greets each one of us when we get home and won't eat or sleep in the evening until both of my daughters are in the house.

There was also a time when the kids were young, they were playing in the front yard and a humongous mastiff escaped through an open gate in our neighborhood. He (40 lbs) jumped up and positioned himself between the mastiff and our kids. His body language was like "I don't want any part of this beast", but he was also ready to fight to keep them safe. He's starting to show his age and has some vision/hearing loss, so we're about to adopt dog #3 to hopefully take over some of the watch-dog responsibilities. Looks just like this dog: http://www.bbc.co.uk...p-in-her-basket

The 2nd dog is my wife's 10 year old dachshund which is essentially useless other than for cuddling.

The upcoming third dog is a 1 year old bull terrier / lab mix rescue that is finishing some vet treatment and will hopefully be the new eyes and ears for the house. If she's half as good as "my" dog, she'll be an awesome addition to the family.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~  JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~  SeeMore FGP2
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ SeeMore FGP2 ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 754 ✭✭
    Love my Weimy!
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,927 ✭✭
    edited Mar 28, 2018 #40
    Warning. I'm completely and utterly biased on the subject :-)

Labs are a close second but nothing beats a GOLDEN - particularly when it comes to kids.

No, this is not something I'd recommend allowing or encouraging. The little one climbed on while we were getting ready for a outing and of course we had to take a pic before taking him off.

It's also interesting to note that this is my dog when she was 3 years old and that she was not raised with a child in the house (he's my god son) nor did she have a lot of exposure to kids this young in general. This is the first day that these two actually meet each other.

• ByeBye Members Posts: 1,307 ✭✭
    We have a Cocker Spaniel, she is great with the kids, very sociable.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,090 ✭✭
    Years ago I got a blue heeler male from a rescue. By far, the finest dog I've ever known. Today I met the border collie that is a member of our staff at the golf club - hounding the geese, etc. Very nice dog. For families I do like golden retrievers. I don't think you'll find any in a rescue/shelter. I do recommend adopting vs buying from a breeder. A couple I know love heelers too. The one I got from a rescue lasted as long as three they got from breeders (heart problems, etc). Breeders, almost across the board seemed to be really doing some harm - to many breeds. Just my opinion.

I sure miss my old heeler. He was something special...
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭
    Young dogs 1 - 2 yrs old and even puppies can be found at shelters, you just have to do some legwork. I strongly urge anyone looking for a new dog to do the right thing and get a rescue/shelter animal.
  • jamiejamie Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,137 ✭✭
    Our Vizsla just turned 6. She’s awesome, they’re nicknamed the Velcro dog. She’s has a ton of energy but she snuggles more than any dog I’ve had. I think they’re great dogs for a family but you have to be active. They won’t exercise themselves so you gotta put in the work haha.
    PING G400 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G400 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
    PING I200 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
    PING Cadence Ketsch TR CB 35"
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 972 ✭✭
    If you're looking for a new family member you can't go wrong with a Jindo. These dogs are extremely loyal to their family and are extremely smart. Our girl lived 16+ years until she fell ill from a stroke.

korean-jindo.jpg

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,638 ✭✭
    While expensive, I recommend an English Bulldog. I look at it as an investment in the happiness of my wife and kids. Our Stella is so even tempered, it's ridiculous. We got her when my youngest was 4. Like any rambunctious 4 year old, she would fall on her, hug her as hard as she could, and just generally be in the dogs business all the time. Not once has she nipped, growled, or barked at our kids. Plus since she's so short and round, she can't really get on any of the furniture to spread her fur around. I couldn't imagine our house without her in it.

Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • NCBankrollaNCBankrolla ClubWRX Posts: 94 ClubWRX
    I love English bully’s. And will consider getting one once we our daughter gets a little older.
  • Jose c.Jose c. Members Posts: 195 ✭✭
    jamie wrote:

Our Vizsla just turned 6. She's awesome, they're nicknamed the Velcro dog. She's has a ton of energy but she snuggles more than any dog I've had. I think they're great dogs for a family but you have to be active. They won't exercise themselves so you gotta put in the work haha.

Will test your sanity first 10 yrs then its down hill.

Velcro and then some great dogs but you better know what your getting into

Wouldent trade my boy's for anything great dog's.
  • jamiejamie Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,137 ✭✭
    Jose c. wrote:

jamie wrote:

Our Vizsla just turned 6. She's awesome, they're nicknamed the Velcro dog. She's has a ton of energy but she snuggles more than any dog I've had. I think they're great dogs for a family but you have to be active. They won't exercise themselves so you gotta put in the work haha.

Will test your sanity first 10 yrs then its down hill.

Velcro and then some great dogs but you better know what your getting into

Wouldent trade my boy's for anything great dog's.

After our son isn’t born in a month or so, we’re going to start looking for another puppy. Probably another V but I like the liver GSP’s but they’re not as cozy as V’s.
    PING G400 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G400 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
    PING I200 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
    PING Cadence Ketsch TR CB 35"
  • Munich77Munich77 Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    another vote for labs - we have one from the rescue....and he is awesome.
  • ws6ws6 Pacific Dunes Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited Apr 1, 2018 #51
    longball wrote:

What type of dog would you recommend for a family with kids under 10 years old. Pictures too.

My Border Collie has been awesome, great with kids. Incredibly smart, loves to play, liked to herd the kids when they were little, can probably do long division, and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. Borders are special dogs with only one negative, a lot of fur.

I used to have an Australian Cattle Dog, and he was awesome with my daughters. He was very different than the Border. Cattle Dogs are ultra protective, and he would absolutely die trying to protect his family from a threat. I love ACDs, but they are for the 1% of dog people.
    dogs.jpg 113.7K
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello Members Posts: 3,373 ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat as a lot of people, any type of dog is the right dog, its all about how they're raised.

With that said, I do have a GSD that is the best dog ever. She is so mild mannered and smart, has energy but not limitless energy. The one thing I wasn't prepared for was the shedding. There is so much hair all over the place. But when she goes on her way, I'll almost promise the Mrs and I will get another one.
    M3 9.5* - Cobra LTD 14.5* - Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5*- Cobra Black SL 4-G - Gorge 2.0 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22
  • JFitz357JFitz357 Jim, the retired GC Superintendent Members Posts: 38
    Had a Golden Retriever for 13 years and loved him. He literally was my best friend and one of the worse days in my life was when I put him down. I promised myself that was my last dog.

Fast forward 25 years, divorced, re-married and now we're both retired. Wife finally wore me down saying "let's just get a little dog, he won't be much trouble" I now have Max, a Morkie (Yorkshire and Maltese mix) He's 9 pounds of chaos but I can't believe how attached I am to him. He is my shadow when I'm home, sits in my lap while I watch TV, and you can't believe how he greets me when I get home.

I purchase him from a family who's female is his mother. They have 3 young ones and the Morkies are great with kids.

So, if you have room and a big yard I'd recommend the Golden. If you want something smaller that doesn't shed, you can't go wrong with the Morkie.

Jim
  • JFitz357JFitz357 Jim, the retired GC Superintendent Members Posts: 38
    edited Apr 10, 2018 #54
    Had a Golden Retriever for 13 years and loved him. He literally was my best friend and one of the worse days in my life was when I put him down. I promised myself that was my last dog.

Fast forward 25 years, divorced, re-married and now we're both retired. Wife finally wore me down saying "let's just get a little dog, he won't be much trouble" I now have Max, a Morkie (Yorkshire and Maltese mix) He's 9 pounds of chaos but I can't believe how attached I am to him. He is my shadow when I'm home, sits in my lap while I watch TV, and you can't believe how he greets me when I get home.

I purchase him from a family who's female is his mother. They have 3 young ones and the Morkies are great with kids.

So, if you have room and a big yard I'd recommend the Golden. If you want something smaller that doesn't shed, you can't go wrong with the Morkie.

Jim
  • gibbyfangibbyfan Members Posts: 1,187 ✭✭
    We had a basset hound that was wonderful. He would let little kids do pretty much anything. We recently adopted a tree walking coonhound and he is fun too.
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 718 ✭✭
    If you love dogs than you must see this. Exposes the pet food industry, why pets shed hair, have cancer tumors, age earlier, etc. Just FYI . . .

You can find on Amazon

71P8icGpv7L._SY445_.jpg

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• longballlongball Members Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to adopt a dog soon.
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,711 ✭✭
    I have had 2 dachshunds and 2 Rotties. I would recommend a Rottie in a heartbeat! They get a bad wrap! They are the big sucks I have ever seen! Rotties are the only dog for me! Let YouTube be your guide. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • mwink822mwink822 Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 #59
    For a family dog, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Golden Retriever. They're very even tempered, affectionate, easy to train, and not aggressive. They are a pretty active breed and require a good bit of exercise, they are prone to weight gain if not exercised enough or over fed (and trust me, they will sniff out food, so keep secured) and they shed. Everywhere. A lot. Brushing at least three times a week is a must.
    Titleist 917D3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 80 Tour X 125 MSI
    Titleist 915 Fd 13.5* Diamana S+ 80X (rotates in and out based on course played)
    Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Aldila Rogue Black 80X 95 MSI
    3-P Mizuno JPX 900 Tour Nippon Modus 3 105X
    White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    English Bulldog. Ours is AWESOME with our 3 and 1 year olds. He is going to be 7 this year and since bulldogs have a VERY high pain tolerance and are beyond laid back. He never cares when one of the kids are using him as a trampoline or pulling his face wrinkles to see how far they can stretch. It also helps that his top speed is about that of a 3 year old too so when they are playing in the yard is an even playing field speed wise.
  • cmckelvmicmckelvmi ClubWRX Posts: 104 ClubWRX
    I have a Golden Doodle and she is awesome! However, there is a misnomer that Golden Doodles don't shed. Their fur sheds just like any other dog, but the loose hairs stay within their coat and you need to brush them regularly.

I am a believer that it doesn't matter what breed you get, they dog will develop how you raise them. Pitbulls, Rottreilers, and Dobermans can be as sweet and cuddly as any dog. On the other hand sweet looking Mortie can be an aggressive a*%hole.