2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,420 ✭✭
    Not sure. If I were totally certain the ones I'm getting are exact AVX equivalents then maybe so. I strongly prefer the yellow but for, let's say, half the cost the white would certainly be tempting.

Just not sure I'd believe it without trying them myself.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Zakers23Zakers23 Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Can we get some info if Prestige is AVX?
    Zakers23 wrote:

Can we get some info if Prestige is AVX?

You can deduce it from dimple patterns, pictures of balls cut in half, etc. but Titleist is not going to say one way or the other.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭
    My guess is that it won't be 100% same as that'd defeat the purpose of JDM only product. But very similar nonetheless
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,909 ✭✭
    Ok, after reading the entire thread and seeing some of the results that people are or aren't getting, I snagged a sleeve before playing today. The course I played was Coyote Ridge in Carrollton, Texas. I'm playing Mizuno SC's and hit a Ping 400 LST fwiw.

Off the tee it felt really good. I didn't notice anything different about the flight though than what I normally play (ProV1X mostly). The greens at Coyote Ridge are pretty receptive now and the AVX had no problem holding from a 100 yard sandwedge to a 210 yard FliHi 4 iron to an uphill green.

Putting, it felt good as well. Unfortunately, I had plenty of f***ing opportunities to putt with it.

Overall, I think it's a good ball. Not sure I'd go out of my way to get them though.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,026 ✭✭
    larciel wrote:
    My guess is that it won't be 100% same as that'd defeat the purpose of JDM only product. But very similar nonetheless

I was thinking it’s similar enough most wouldn’t see any difference.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,010 ✭✭
    Shiels numbers were intriguing.

Long drives and lower launch. Lower spin with everything but not unplayable performance wise.

I am intrigued.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,438 ✭✭
    Mcgeeno wrote:
    Shiels numbers were intriguing.

Long drives and lower launch. Lower spin with everything but not unplayable performance wise.

I am intrigued.

He can play 4 different flexes in a driver (senior, regular, stiff, x-stiff) so I’m sure his ball doesn’t matter either.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,544 ✭✭
    Into the wind, the AVX is 4 to 5 yards longer than the ProV1x for me. I substantiated that by hitting multiple shots yesterday on a golf course. I like it.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,195 ✭✭
    I play on a reasonably windy course. Definitely interested but not available to the plebs in my part of the world until early July.
  • johnnybogeyjohnnybogey Members Posts: 1,843 ✭✭
    Sounds interesting. Then I saw the price. Yikes. $47.99. 😫
    Ping G400 Max 9* HZRDUS Yellow
    Ping G10 15* hybrid 
    Ping G10 21* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex '19 irons (5-AW) Oban CT100
    Cleveland CBX 54*
    Cleveland CBX 58*
    Bettinardi Inovai 2.0
    WITB Link
    Price is same as ProV1 or ProV1x.

Same price as they've been for nearly a decade now.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    edited Jun 22, 2018 #374
    I'm thinking Rick Shiels is correct with the branding. Titleist needs to market it as a trio. ProV1x= High Launch/High Spin of ProV1 family, ProV1=Medium Launch/ Less Spin of ProV1 family, AVX= Low Launch/Least amount of spin in ProV1 family. For a person like me who's bad shot is a cast with adding dynamic loft, The AVX really helps my game by keeping the spin and Lanch Angle down.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125msi 60 TX
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
    Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
    Titleist 716 AP2 Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50/54/58 Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
    Titleist AVX
    Bushnell Tour Z6
    edited Jun 22, 2018 #375
    Hondabuff wrote:

I'm thinking Rick Shiels is correct with the branding. Titleist needs to market it as a trio. ProV1x= High Launch/High Spin of ProV1 family, ProV1=Medium Launch/ Less Spin of ProV1 family, AVX= Low Launch/Least amount of spin in ProV1 family. For a person like me who's bad shot is a cast with adding dynamic loft, The AVX really helps my game by keeping the spin and Lanch Angle down.

That is exactly how Titleist are marketing the balls, they even have a little info-graphic that shows the three balls stacked on each other ProV1x high, ProV1 medium, AVX low.

P.S. Minor wording quibble...Titleist would not talk about "low launch" or "high launch". They would use the technically correct term of lower or higher flight (or I'd say trajectory). Those three balls do not differ in driver launch angle but rather in the height of their trajectory due to dimple design.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • monks66monks66 Members Posts: 620 ✭✭
    I watched his review and the driver spin numbers were so close between avx and pro v1, so i guess my question is , is the avx truly low spin off driver? this would be a concern for me
    Very few urethane golf balls today seem to be seriously low or high spin off the driver. They are all in a range if a couple hundred rpm (10%-ish) with the same swing.

The lower flight of AVX is due to dimple design, not spin.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • spartY84spartY84 Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I'm still kinda confused why better players would play this ball over Prov1/ ProV1x. Even most mid-handicaps, like myself, need all the spin we can get from approaches. AVX is getting 5 extra yards with irons, with a lower trajectory and 1,800 RPM less spin with a 7 iron according to Shiels. That won't stop on hard greens whatsoever.

Maybe you're spinning your current ball at 8,000 rpm with a 7 iron and this will work, but I've never seen anyone doing that. I'm carrying a 7 iron 165. Even with the highest spinning ball I can find (prov1x/B330S), it never spins back. Maybe I'm an extreme low spin player. But I've never said, after hitting a 7 iron "****, I hit that perfect and it spun back way too far."
    spartY84 wrote:

I'm still kinda confused why better players would play this ball over Prov1/ ProV1x. Even most mid-handicaps, like myself, need all the spin we can get from approaches. AVX is getting 5 extra yards with irons, with a lower trajectory and 1,800 RPM less spin with a 7 iron according to Shiels. That won't stop on hard greens whatsoever.

Maybe you're spinning your current ball at 8,000 rpm with a 7 iron and this will work, but I've never seen anyone doing that. I'm carrying a 7 iron 165. Even with the highest spinning ball I can find (prov1x/B330S), it never spins back. Maybe I'm an extreme low spin player. But I've never said, after hitting a 7 iron "****, I hit that perfect and it spun back way too far."

Your not gonna spin back a 7 iron, too much spin you get this baloony weak floating shot that the wind and or spin basically stops in its tracks and falls out of the sky. The AVX for me creates a more piercing and fighting flight when I have my ballooning miss hit, keeping my closer on chips or even still on the right / left side of the green

Also If it’s a well struck shot I have no problem stopping this ball ^*
    Very few urethane golf balls today seem to be seriously low or high spin off the driver. They are all in a range if a couple hundred rpm (10%-ish) with the same swing.

The lower flight of AVX is due to dimple design, not spin.

Lower compression also yields a lower ball flight.
  • johnnybogeyjohnnybogey Members Posts: 1,843 ✭✭

Price is same as ProV1 or ProV1x.

Same price as they've been for nearly a decade now.

Yeap, I understand the same price part.

Didn't realize they introduced a ball to sit on the same level as Pro V1 and Pro V1X.
    Ping G400 Max 9* HZRDUS Yellow
    Ping G10 15* hybrid 
    Ping G10 21* hybrid 
    Callaway Apex '19 irons (5-AW) Oban CT100
    Cleveland CBX 54*
    Cleveland CBX 58*
    Bettinardi Inovai 2.0
    WITB Link
  • bag302bag302 Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    Any other balls with a lower trajectory like the AVX?
    bag302 wrote:

Pretty much any low/mid compression ball
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭
    Break81 wrote:

larciel wrote:

I was thinking it’s similar enough most wouldn’t see any difference.

I agree. What I meant was that Titleist will tinker just a bit and release it to JDM so they can say "it's not same product" and charge $$$ . When basically to most of us, it's same products.
    BiggErn wrote:

bag302 wrote:

It’s not true necessarily, the BRX literally dies out of the sky for me on Driver, starts off hot but can’t hold up to my SS. AVX can handle higher swing speed still be soft and maintain long game distance
  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 879 ✭✭
    I like them. They seem to work better for me than the new Bridgestone balls, and I've played Bridgestones for the past 2 seasons. I don't lose many balls so the price isn't really an issue. That's all that matters to me. And probably others. I don't care if the Wilson Duo or any other ball is "similar". Get off my lawn! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • MBBGMBBG Members Posts: 1,496 ✭✭
    Zakers23 wrote:

BiggErn wrote:

bag302 wrote:

It’s not true necessarily, the BRX literally dies out of the sky for me on Driver, starts off hot but can’t hold up to my SS. AVX can handle higher swing speed still be soft and maintain long game distance

You animal
    EFSZ Triple Diamond 10.5 with HZRDUS Green  
    Taylormade Original One 13.5 HZRDUS Green 
    TEE CBX119 5 Wood with Evenflow White T1100
    Srixon U45 23* with Aerotech i95 S
    Srixon 585/785 combo set with Modus 105 
    Vokey Cold Forged 51/56*, PM Grind 60* Modus 125 Wedge
    Odyssey Works SaberTooth

• c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Snapshot of Rick Shiels driver numbers from his youtube comparison, for those who haven't watched. He also has a cool section in there of overlayed ball flight of all three back to back, really clarifies the flight characteristics of the three:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi RCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300Odyssey Rossie 2TaylorMade TP5x
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,544 ✭✭
    c50sooner wrote:

Snapshot of Rick Shiels driver numbers from his youtube comparison, for those who haven't watched. He also has a cool section in there of overlayed ball flight of all three back to back, really clarifies the flight characteristics of the three:

Interesting. I certainly don’t have Rick’s swing speed, but I was hitting two different Ping drivers ( G25 and G400), and the PriV1x and AVX. With the same ball, I didn’t see much difference with the drivers. Hit them both very well a couple of times for comparison. But into the wind, the AVX was 5 yards longer on equal hits. I need all the distance I can get; at 235 to 240, 5 yards is huge.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • c50soonerc50sooner Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    gvogel wrote:

But into the wind, the AVX was 5 yards longer on equal hits.

Makes sense as the AVX is tuned for lower flight and less spin, which would seem to go hand in hand with improved wind performance.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Aldila NK2V Green SCallaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi RCallaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black SSrixon Z355 4,6-PW - NS Pro 950GH SCallaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300Odyssey Rossie 2TaylorMade TP5x