The Stock Tour Swing by Tyler Ferrell – Excellent Swing Instruction Book!

Comments

• sb944sb944 Members Posts: 171
    I got this book too, it's just arrived, I'm not a quick reader though, so it's going to take some effort, maybe during some downtime in easter. In the meantime I'm looking at the free 7 day trial of his video site. I'm about 2/3rd through the beginner section, which like Montes videos, is not so much beginner, it's everything you need to know to hit it like a pro. I will say, I was (maybe still am) at the point where I was going to go through Drive 4 Dough again. I've had a decent amount of time away from huge technique overload, but have started thinking about watching it again, and trying some drills again.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Drive 4 Dough so far, in fact a lot of the concepts and drills are very similar. But he definitely explains it differently at times, I've had a couple of light bulb momemnts. I am excited to incorporate some of the tips and am considering whether or not to sign up to the site.
  • asumnerdawgasumnerdawg Members Posts: 340 ✭✭
    My copy just came in. Excited to read if
    Gamer/Backup
    Driver: Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv
    3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; Callaway XHot 3w
    5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 917 2H
    3H- Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0; N/A
    4 iron: G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
    5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; i200 w/ CFS stiff 3-PW
    52/12 F: Vokey sm7 2 up; Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 52
    58/12 D: Vokey sm7 2 up; Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 58
    Putter: Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 X
  • dpodboydpodboy Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    The free videos help clarify what he's describing in the book. I'm just afraid I'll have information overload if I buy a one year subscription and watch golf video's 24/7. I always play my best when I'm not thinking about my swing and am in a groove. I'm already feeling overwhelmed between this and monte's stuff. I'm sure the $147 in annual subscription will help more than a new driver though!
  • WILDTHINGWILDTHING Banned Posts: 621 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #65
    I've seen some of his You-Tube videos and found them quite confusing to be honest .

Example this video below

[media]

I think he's saying the more you allow the club to shallow, the more you will be able to use your body to power the swing and hit through the ball (than using power in your arms). He is also inferring that this is a probable reason why Fred Couples hits more fairways than Phil Mickelson who doesn't shallow the club as much as Fred in the mid downswing phase.

Then at 2:52 to 3:09 he mentions PM shallows late by straightening that right arm and stalling some of his rotation . That the combination of the latter action can be great for wedges and short irons but problematic for clubs with a higher MOI and less loft with limited flat spot, limited body power, tending to produce more problematic patterns for the longer clubs like the driver.

He is not very forthcoming or concise with his reasoning and maybe the videos are for those who understand the cause and effect of the golf swing as TF sees it.

He hasn't mentioned what I regard I've seen and read (is that okay now Hawkye77??) is a simpler reason why PM is less accurate with his longer clubs like the driver and that is because his hand release action is a 'Roller Release' where he tends to roll his forearms through impact (see image below). Maybe TF is saying that by PM not shallowing his clubshaft earlier, this will stall his pivot and lead upper arm , therefore inadvertently cause a 'Roller Release' hand action. Maybe Phil just can't do that pitch elbow action that Fred does to shallow the club , or maybe he finds it a strain to get all that secondary tilt to allow his pitch elbow enough room in the downswing. I suspect there could be a whole set of reasons why PM does what he does compared to Fred, whether or not it is non-optimal for limiting ROC through impact (according to TF).

MickelsonEarlyRoll.gif
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #66
    WILDTHING wrote:

He hasn't mentioned what I regard is a simpler reason why PM is less accurate with his longer clubs like the driver and that is because his hand release action is a 'Roller Release' where he tends to roll his forearms through impact (see image below). Maybe TF is saying that by PM not shallowing his clubshaft earlier, this will stall his pivot and lead upper arm , therefore inadvertently cause a 'Roller Release' hand action. Maybe Phil just can't do that pitch elbow action that Fred does to shallow the club , or maybe he finds it a strain to get all that secondary tilt to allow his pitch elbow enough room in the downswing. I suspect there could be a whole set of reasons why PM does what he does compared to Fred, whether or not it is non-optimal for limiting ROC through impact (according to TF).

"You" regard? This "analysis/observation" is lifted from Jeff Mann's website - why inject anything Jeff Mann has to say into this discussion, which is about Tyler Ferrell's book?

OP, et al., book looks interesting and will check it out.
  • TheWoatTheWoat Members Posts: 550
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #67
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

WILDTHING wrote:

He hasn't mentioned what I regard is a simpler reason why PM is less accurate with his longer clubs like the driver and that is because his hand release action is a 'Roller Release' where he tends to roll his forearms through impact (see image below). Maybe TF is saying that by PM not shallowing his clubshaft earlier, this will stall his pivot and lead upper arm , therefore inadvertently cause a 'Roller Release' hand action. Maybe Phil just can't do that pitch elbow action that Fred does to shallow the club , or maybe he finds it a strain to get all that secondary tilt to allow his pitch elbow enough room in the downswing. I suspect there could be a whole set of reasons why PM does what he does compared to Fred, whether or not it is non-optimal for limiting ROC through impact (according to TF).

"You" regard? This "analysis/observation" is lifted from Jeff Mann's website - why inject anything Jeff Mann has to say into this discussion, which is about Tyler Ferrell's book?

Not a fan of Mr Mann, and that response above seemed like it was written by him.

And Phil Mickelson is a good long iron player.
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #68
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

WILDTHING wrote:

That person's name you mentioned is banned from this website so isn't it against the rules for you to stir things up?

PS. I've just edited the 'I regard' out of my post because all I know and post about golf issues (which I find credible) is what I've read and seen from other people's articles/books /videos .
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #69
    TheWoat wrote:

Not a fan of Mr Mann, and that response above seemed like it was written by him.

And Phil Mickelson is a good long iron player.

Phil Mickelson is a phenomenal iron player as can be seen in the video below but his timing has to be pretty good if he rolls his forearms like he does (look at what he says from 2:13 to 2:30 ). Now if he's trying to do that same draw action with a driver , his timing has got to be nigh on perfect at such clubhead speed.

[media]
  • tradekidtradekid Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I click on this thread to learn about how this book has helped other golfers. I own the book and this spring I intend to start using the drills and follow the parameters explained within to help me find MY stock swing pattern.

I didn't click on this thread to listen to people argue about the veracity of it's content and how wrong the author's ideas of the golf swing are. If that's how you feel about it start your own thread titled "What's Wrong About Tyler Ferrell's Book."

• airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 988 ✭✭
    tradekid wrote:

I click on this thread to learn about how this book has helped other golfers. I own the book and this spring I intend to start using the drills and follow the parameters explained within to help me find MY stock swing pattern.

I didn't click on this thread to listen to people argue about the veracity of it's content and how wrong the author's ideas of the golf swing are. If that's how you feel about it start your own thread titled "What's Wrong About Tyler Ferrell's Book."

This must be your first visit to the “Instruction and Academy” section of this website..Welcome🤜🏻
    tradekid wrote:

Fair point.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,711 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 25, 2018 #73
    WILDTHING wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

WILDTHING wrote:

That person's name you mentioned is banned from this website so isn't it against the rules for you to stir things up?

PS. I've just edited the 'I regard' out of my post because all I know and post about golf issues (which I find credible) is what I've read and seen from other people's articles/books /videos .

Hardly stirring anything up, just pointing out, as you've now admitted, the source of the analysis you were passing off as your own to work more Jeff Mann into the forums as you have many times before.

He's not Voldemort so I think I can safely type his name, lol.

• jimmymac50jimmymac50 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Want to throw another shout out regarding "The Stock Tour Swing" book by, Tyler Ferrell.

I have been taking my time to read the book very throughly. One thing that I am very happy about is his explanation of what the body needs to do throughout the swing. My whole golfing life, I have been told things like, "Don't raise up on the backswing!" or "Lengthen your backswing".

Tyler goes into detail what your body is supposed to do every part of the swing. Drills are offered to reinforce each area. I do agree with him that you should skim the book first to get a general idea of the concepts he is teaching, then go back and look at certain areas in detail.

Wish a had this book many years ago. Check it out.
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭
    The one thing I do not like so much with Tyler's instruction is the Jackson Five move. I have great difficulty to slide backwards into the left hip and then to subsequently turn that hip out of the way. I prefer the lower body move of GG which makes it much easier for me to open up the hips.
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    image/read.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':read:' />
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • yellowballsyellowballs Members Posts: 322 ✭✭
    Golfbeat wrote:

The one thing I do not like so much with Tyler's instruction is the Jackson Five move. I have great difficulty to slide backwards into the left hip and then to subsequently turn that hip out of the way. I prefer the lower body move of GG which makes it much easier for me to open up the hips.
    Sorry I'm out of the loop. What is GG's lower body move?
  • MillbrookMillbrook Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    My book arrived this week and is living up to expectations. However no book is going to beat working with a good coach.
    All comments are made from the point of
    view of my learning and not a claim
    to expertise.
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭

Why is this in such big font?

Doesn't look too big to me!?!?

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭

Golfbeat wrote:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1351314-for-those-that-have-applied-the-gg-pivot/
  • jd502jd502 Members Posts: 102
    Thanks for the recommendation. I like the approach of allowing you to be your own coach rather trying to fit you into a box.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭
    That steep and shallow section sounded a lot like Hardy's Solid Contact
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • yellowballsyellowballs Members Posts: 322 ✭✭
    Golfbeat wrote:

Golfbeat wrote:

http://www.golfwrx.c...d-the-gg-pivot/
    Thank you
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members Posts: 1,403 ✭✭
    About 60% through the book. Definitely one of the better golf books I have read, but not really for the beginner. Many great pieces of information and different kinds of explanations you don't hear much of elsewhere. I can see how the videos are promoted as a necessary companion because as great as the text is in this book, it is the total opposite when it comes to the photos and diagrams. 90%+ of the graphics are absolutely horrid; really so bad to the point of inexcusable. This is mainly why it is not a beginner book. If you were somewhat new to golf and reading the text and trying to use the diagrams to gain better understanding...it's not happening. The figures are so bad I pretty much stopped paying attention to them.
  • vwoodyvwoody Members Posts: 30
    Golfbeat wrote:

I wouldn't let that disappoint you. I think the Jackson 5 move is for people who are out of sequence and to tend to start the downswing with the torso/shoulders FIRST (instead of the hips). As mentioned earlier, the "caster" is the type of golfer that Tyler sees more often so the J5 move will get them used to starting the swing with the hips. I spent a lot of time on training the GG pivot and it's all about shallowing (as I am sure you know) so you are good to go! Keep that pivot, shallow, motorcycle, side bend, rotate and supinate to glory!!
  • Unassuming Local GuyUnassuming Local Guy Members Posts: 32 ✭✭
    vwoody wrote:

Golfbeat wrote:

I wouldn't let that disappoint you. I think the Jackson 5 move is for people who are out of sequence and to tend to start the downswing with the torso/shoulders FIRST (instead of the hips). As mentioned earlier, the "caster" is the type of golfer that Tyler sees more often so the J5 move will get them used to starting the swing with the hips. I spent a lot of time on training the GG pivot and it's all about shallowing (as I am sure you know) so you are good to go! Keep that pivot, shallow, motorcycle, side bend, rotate and supinate to glory!!

The J5 move also helps with getting that all important tilt, lower body moving forward, and assisting the right shoulder during the downswing. This also helps with swallowing the club as the hips move forward and the upper body stays back the right shoulder doesn't have to come down as much. Now where is that Monte video....
  • powerfade66powerfade66 Members Posts: 449

vwoody wrote:

Golfbeat wrote:

The J5 move also helps with getting that all important tilt, lower body moving forward, and assisting the right shoulder during the downswing. This also helps with swallowing the club as the hips move forward and the upper body stays back the right shoulder doesn't have to come down as much. Now where is that Monte video....

He’s very graphic with his analogies. So swallowing the club would be a visual for the up and in through impact even though club head is down and out along with the slight backwards move during the brace and keeping the shaft up the left arm while maintaining neck tilts... all leading to a centripetal deep throating of the entire club.

BottleCap wrote:

That steep and shallow section sounded a lot like Hardy's Solid Contact

Yes and he even credits Hardy with the concept early on.
  • KuchhhhhhKuchhhhhh Members Posts: 2,225 ✭✭
    Just gonna say this book is awesome! By far the best golf book I've ever read. Its more about just educating yourself than taking pieces and putting them into your own swing. It gives you the knowledge to really make better decisions when working on your swing. Highly recommend!
    Taylormade M4 10.5 Atmos X stiff
    Taylormade M4 16.5 Proforce V2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 & 4 iron, 716 AP2 5-PW X100
    Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 S300
    Taylormade Spider Red
  • beutelwombbeutelwomb Members Posts: 291
    I have to agree, great book and great insight how different moves work together. I started to also watch the youtube videos, great content and very open-minded presentation.
  • dpodboydpodboy Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Motorcycle move seems so foreign to me. Not sure how I can incorporate it. A work in progress, fantastic book and even better site (annual membership).
  • gentlesgentles Members Posts: 1,867 ✭✭
    Sorry for bumping this thread - I let a friend borrow this book, but I’m trying to find the page with pictures of “shallow” and “steeps” movements. If I remember picture there is a whole bunch of moves with either steep or shallow. Can someone with a copy handy send me a pic of these pages? Much appreciated!
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Taylormade 2016 M2 DF 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Callaway Apex 20* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Taylormade RSI UDI 4i DG AMT x100
    Taylormade P770 5-P DG AMT x100
    Ping Glide 51,55, 59 DG S400
    Ping Anser Milled 5

On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file