Callaway rogue pro

124

Comments

  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 719 ✭✭

    Kmac wrote:


    Anyone have the black ones? I’m about to place my order. I was curious how the finish will hold up?



    I hear it’s PVD and I’m under the understanding that doesn’t hold up great? Wondering if I can sit them all in white vinegar after a while and strip them.



    I’m gonna order the black rogue pro with the black $ taper 130. They’ll look unreal!




    I have them and yes they look amazing. Best looking iron I have seen in a while being all black and stealthy. But yes they do wear easily. I have X Forged and the feel was so different I went back to my X Forged after one round, lol. Not saying anything bad about the Rogue Pro though as we all know they are not forged. Great irons.




    Really? How many rounds did you play with them before you saw significant wear? I guess it’s not gonna keep me from buying them honestly. Do you have a picture?




    One round, lol. Playing conditions probably will have some affect too but I already saw some wear on them after one round. Nothing crazy but definitely some wear.
  • Techgolfer1Techgolfer1 Members Posts: 1,543 ✭✭
    Kmac wrote:

    Kmac wrote:


    Anyone have the black ones? I’m about to place my order. I was curious how the finish will hold up?



    I hear it’s PVD and I’m under the understanding that doesn’t hold up great? Wondering if I can sit them all in white vinegar after a while and strip them.



    I’m gonna order the black rogue pro with the black $ taper 130. They’ll look unreal!




    I have them and yes they look amazing. Best looking iron I have seen in a while being all black and stealthy. But yes they do wear easily. I have X Forged and the feel was so different I went back to my X Forged after one round, lol. Not saying anything bad about the Rogue Pro though as we all know they are not forged. Great irons.




    Really? How many rounds did you play with them before you saw significant wear? I guess it’s not gonna keep me from buying them honestly. Do you have a picture?




    One round, lol. Playing conditions probably will have some affect too but I already saw some wear on them after one round. Nothing crazy but definitely some wear.




    Yikes! Well I ordered mine last night. Once they wear significantly I wonder if they can be bathed in white vinegar and stripped? I will certainly see!
    I change too much to list it. Working on that...
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    I bought a custom order set of Ping i200 with Power Spec lofts last summer and I played several rounds with them and lost a full club from my Apex CF16. I tried to BST them and no one wanted them. I have been playing my P770s and am about 1/2 club shorter than my CF16.



    My Rogue Pros showed up last night and it's a good thing I ordered them +1". They were all over the map. a couple were +5/8" and a couple were +3/4". I planned a 3/8" increment transition from the 5-iron being + 1/2" to the PW being +1". As it turned out, The PW ended up being 36.5 with a grip, i didn't trim the 8-PW. I hope to hit them tonight
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • Techgolfer1Techgolfer1 Members Posts: 1,543 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:
    I bought a custom order set of Ping i200 with Power Spec lofts last summer and I played several rounds with them and lost a full club from my Apex CF16. I tried to BST them and no one wanted them. I have been playing my P770s and am about 1/2 club shorter than my CF16.



    My Rogue Pros showed up last night and it's a good thing I ordered them +1". They were all over the map. a couple were +5/8" and a couple were +3/4". I planned a 3/8" increment transition from the 5-iron being + 1/2" to the PW being +1". As it turned out, The PW ended up being 36.5 with a grip, i didn't trim the 8-PW. I hope to hit them tonight




    Wouldn’t you send them back if they were wrong??
    I change too much to list it. Working on that...
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    Since I was going to cut them to the lengths I wanted and they were just long enough for that, no. I’m going to check the lies and make sure those are right. They supos d to be 2* upright. They don’t look it. I have a Mitchell loft and lie machine as well
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • Techgolfer1Techgolfer1 Members Posts: 1,543 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:
    Since I was going to cut them to the lengths I wanted and they were just long enough for that, no. I’m going to check the lies and make sure those are right. They supos d to be 2* upright. They don’t look it. I have a Mitchell loft and lie machine as well




    Oh gotcha. Yeah I highly doubt they are correct on the lies and lofts. Would be a shame to mar up those clubs though.
    I change too much to list it. Working on that...
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    Through trial and error, I have a method that protects the sole and the hosel from any scratches or dings or dents from the Loft and lie machine. And since these aren't forged, i doubt there will be any issues
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • Techgolfer1Techgolfer1 Members Posts: 1,543 ✭✭
    AmazinBlue wrote:
    Through trial and error, I have a method that protects the sole and the hosel from any scratches or dings or dents from the Loft and lie machine. And since these aren't forged, i doubt there will be any issues




    Do share your method please. I’ll have to have mine checked and would like to prevent if possible. My pro bends mine but there always seems to be a dent on the toe.
    I change too much to list it. Working on that...
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    I use a 3x folded piece of masking tape that I wrap around the hosel and then slide a piece of an old shaft that I cut a lengthwise slit in wand I slide that on the hosel from the bottom of the shaft and then tighten the bending bar over both of those. I never leave those horizontal dents in the hosel
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • AmazinBlueAmazinBlue Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    I used to see the dents in the toe as well. I used to use a small piece of of tin under the toe but that didn’t really help. Now a use a piece of masking tape folded over several times and use it under both the tow and heel to keep them the same height and I have issues there either. I bend all my irons about 2 degrees upright so I know just what you are talking about with the dent in the sole at the toe end
    Ping G400 Max 9* - 8* Tour 65 S 44.5"
    Ping G400 14.5* Tour 75 Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* PX LZ 75g Stiff
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 23* Kuro Kage 80 Hy stiff
    Taylormade P770 5-PW Nippon Modus3 120 S
    Vokey SM6 48* F Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM6 54*/08* M Grind Steel Gray
    Vokey SM7 58*/14* D Grind Tour Chrome
    TM Tour Spider Black 34.25" 2* flat 2x 14g weight
    Callaway ERC Soft
  • JunglelandJungleland Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    I have 12 rounds on my RP's and have seen little to no wear. Toe misses are common with me and all are in good shape on my set.
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,605 ✭✭
    The chrome on the non black version is a much heartier chrome than their regular GI counterparts. Shot my lowest 9 hole score in 10 years with them today. In 108 degree heat
  • DTown3011DTown3011 #DTown3011 ClubWRX Posts: 3,592 ClubWRX
    Great feedback here. Be curious how the black finish is holding up for anyone that has them.
    Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
    X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
    MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
    Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
    Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    I can post some pics later. I've got a good 6 rounds or so on mine and I miss all over the face so you can get a good idea of wear, lol
  • DTown3011DTown3011 #DTown3011 ClubWRX Posts: 3,592 ClubWRX
    Kmac wrote:


    I can post some pics later. I've got a good 6 rounds or so on mine and I miss all over the face so you can get a good idea of wear, lol




    Great - I'm leaning going with the chrome but the black is so nice I was hoping to see before I made my final decision.
    Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
    X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
    MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
    Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
    Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    DTown3011 wrote:
    Kmac wrote:


    I can post some pics later. I've got a good 6 rounds or so on mine and I miss all over the face so you can get a good idea of wear, lol




    Great - I'm leaning going with the chrome but the black is so nice I was hoping to see before I made my final decision.




    This is after maybe 7 or 8 rounds. Game has been pretty bad so I probably haven’t hit the 7 as much as I should have.



    2a0e8ab8f86992287e440e0812d0fa11.jpg



    3a5c040a9472e21b2886253d93b35551.jpg
  • DTown3011DTown3011 #DTown3011 ClubWRX Posts: 3,592 ClubWRX
    Kmac wrote:

    DTown3011 wrote:
    Kmac wrote:


    I can post some pics later. I've got a good 6 rounds or so on mine and I miss all over the face so you can get a good idea of wear, lol




    Great - I'm leaning going with the chrome but the black is so nice I was hoping to see before I made my final decision.




    This is after maybe 7 or 8 rounds. Game has been pretty bad so I probably haven’t hit the 7 as much as I should have.



    2a0e8ab8f86992287e440e0812d0fa11.jpg



    3a5c040a9472e21b2886253d93b35551.jpg




    You can’t even tell they’ve been hit!
    Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
    X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
    MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
    Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
    Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    DTown3011 wrote:

    Kmac wrote:

    DTown3011 wrote:
    Kmac wrote:


    I can post some pics later. I've got a good 6 rounds or so on mine and I miss all over the face so you can get a good idea of wear, lol




    Great - I'm leaning going with the chrome but the black is so nice I was hoping to see before I made my final decision.




    This is after maybe 7 or 8 rounds. Game has been pretty bad so I probably haven't hit the 7 as much as I should have.



    2a0e8ab8f86992287e440e0812d0fa11.jpg



    3a5c040a9472e21b2886253d93b35551.jpg




    You can't even tell they've been hit!




    There's a couple of scratches I couldn't quite catch in the right light but they actually look pretty good. I was kind of surprised how well it cleaned up.
  • ARL67ARL67 Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life Members Posts: 209 ✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2018 #110
    For FYI to protect against dents on the toe and heel when bending, I use strips of hard plastic. Any packaged good that comes in an annoying clear plastic covering that requires a chain-saw to open will work fine. Some are thicker than others. I cut into 3/4” strips with scissors. I also put a patch of thin clear plastic on the face as that can get scuffed when cranking down, yet still allows me to see the grooves to ensure proper clamping alignment. For the hosel, Golfworks sells a brass sleeve for just such purpose. I bought the nylon bushings from GW for my Maltby bender, but they are too soft for the job at hand, so came up with my plastic strip solution.
  • Bar_StrollBar_Stroll Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    I just got done cleaning my Rogue Pro's, standard chrome. I'm astonished how well they hold up. I've hit the worst of range balls of terrible mat's once or twice a week and played at least 2 times a week for about 9 weeks now and outside some little scratches on the face they are near new in appearance.
    Taylormade M4 9.5* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 995 65X
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3+ - Fujikura Atmos TS Red 8X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Hybrid - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4 50.10S C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4, 54.10S and 58.08C - KBS 610
    Bobby Grace "Night and Day"
  • knightd_2001knightd_2001 Members Posts: 339 ✭✭




    I have been playing the roque pros but hit the I210s the other day and they had great feel. I was also very consistent with the distances. Same shaft which was KBS Tour X as the Rogues. I have not been hitting the Rogue Pros very well lately. My biggest complaint has been distance control. Probably more me than the clubs but definitely interested in comparing on the course.
  • 3eagles183eagles18 Members Posts: 915 ✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2018 #113
    Played 4-5 rounds with Rogue Pros. Seem to be a half-club shorter than Z545s. Not giving up on them ... yet.
  • Bar_StrollBar_Stroll Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    I was 9 yards further with Rogue than z565.
    Taylormade M4 9.5* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 995 65X
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3+ - Fujikura Atmos TS Red 8X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Hybrid - Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4 50.10S C-Taper 130X
    Callaway MD4, 54.10S and 58.08C - KBS 610
    Bobby Grace "Night and Day"
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 719 ✭✭
    I was looking closer at my Rogue Pro blacks last weekend and actually noticed more wear from bag chatter than on the faces themselves. Lots of wear and black coming off from other places on the irons like around the cavity side and the edges.
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I will give my 2nd review of these irons, since ive had them for almost 4 months now. I have used forged clubs since I was on our HS golf team, and have been Team Callaway for a few years now. I have always felt most comfortable with Callaway's clubs. My favorite irons ever are the 2014 and 2016 Callaway Apex Pro Forged, KBS Tour - V shafts. I was really hoping to see a 2018 model since it seemed to be on a 2 year cycle.



    Anyways, I still use the Tour V shafts, and these Rogue Pro irons are very forgiving on slight mis-hits. Almost too forgiving if you are someone like me who has been using forged for so long. Its embarrassing to admit that as a golf professional I couldnt tell if small misses were on the toe or the heel. they all felt pure. It took impact tape to realize where my pattern was...My biggest issue is that i cannot bend these much if at all to fit my game. I hit the wedges too high, and the 4/5 iron too low. If they were forged I could tweak them, and I did not have this issue with the Apex forged(didnt have to alter lofts). All in all, I personally prefer forged and that will never change. These clubs are quite forgiving and long though, if you like that kind of thing! They also have that compact look of a pro model club. If you are looking for feel and workability though, stick with x-forged or apex forged. Also, the all black rogues that just came out look sick! I have seen them in person, and I am a fan.



    On a side note, the rogue subzero driver has been phenomenal. Not only for me, but for many of my members and players I have talked to. I struggled with it for a couple weeks, as the head felt heavier than the previous Callaway models, but now that I have the reps with it, I am having great results. My old go to driver(X2hot pro) has finally been beaten out. The Jailbreak tech is real.
    Callaway
  • 3eagles183eagles18 Members Posts: 915 ✭✭
    3eagles18 wrote:
    Played 4-5 rounds with Rogue Pros. Seem to be a half-club shorter than Z545s. Not giving up on them ... yet.




    So after two more rounds and keeping stats I think that the Pros may not be shorter than the 565s. The Pros seem to drop and stop and the 565s roll out.
  • DTown3011DTown3011 #DTown3011 ClubWRX Posts: 3,592 ClubWRX


    . I hit the wedges too high, and the 4/5 iron too low. If they were forged I could tweak them, and I did not have this issue with the Apex forged(didnt have to alter lofts).




    Have you tried perhaps the KBS Tour FLT shafts, which are still in the KBS family but be a flighted design to help you get the longer irons in the air and flight the wedges lower?
    Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
    Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
    X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
    MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
    Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
    Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track
  • alittleoverparalittleoverpar Cousin Jess Members Posts: 1,568 ✭✭
    I just picked up a Rogue Pro 3 iron off of CPO and plan on using it for a "driving iron". It's 19 degrees which puts it right in the slot I am looking for. I often play a course with a number of tight par 4s and am hoping this club will be a good choice off those tees.
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 11.5* - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr Xtreme 16.5" - Trinity X
    Callaway Razr X MB 4 - PW - PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 54*, 58* - S400
    Royal Collection Metro East Miami
    Jones Utility Stand Bag
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,753 ✭✭
    Anyone have trouble holding greens with The Rogue Pros?

    I was getting 52-5400 rpm with a 7iron with various shafts.

    Has me concerned about stopping 5-7irons, maybe the 8

    I was also hitting the Cobra Forged Tec Blacks an getting 62-6400rpm.

    Thanks
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
    '17 Studio Stock 8
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,365 ✭✭
    RainShadow wrote:


    I was getting 52-5400 rpm with a 7iron with various shafts.




    Were those numbers obtained hitting off of a mat? If so, that can significantly reduce the spin compared to hitting off of grass.
Sign In or Register to comment.