2018 Callaway X Forged

GolfBum82GolfBum82 Major WinnerMembers Posts: 702 ✭✭
I am looking to get some feedback/reviews on the recently released Callaway X forged irons. I’ve tried to canvas the threads and didn’t find one that pertained to this subject.

Comments

• noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    Hard to search forums for clubs models that are less than three letter. I think this is a huge reason PING went to G400 and G700.
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • Derek666Derek666 Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    I actually found the Apex no harder to hit than the Xforged this year.
  • GolfBum82GolfBum82 Major Winner Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    I’m super curious about the x forged. I was a Titleist loyalist forever, playing the 681’s for probably 10 years. As time went on and practice time was significantly reduced I wanted something with more forgiveness and bounced around from the AP2 line, to iBlades, to now my current set of TM770s. I haven’t found anything I am super excited about.
  • Derek666Derek666 Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    Split sets would be nice, 4,5,6,7 xforged and 8,9,PW in apex maybe.
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,684 ✭✭
    It came down to the X Forged or Srixon Z765s for me.

I went with the Srixons due to price and availability of a gap wedge.

Could have gone either way, easily.

I was able to hit the 765s outside, on grass, with multiple shafts using Trackman.

The Cally guys only had PX 6.0 and 5.5 in the x forged head. ( They were hyping the Rogue lineup )
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,231 ClubWRX
    Derek666 wrote:

Split sets would be nice, 4,5,6,7 xforged and 8,9,PW in apex maybe.

I think the finish is different on the 2. Mizuno had that problem with the mp5/mp25 combo sets. really bothered me.

I really like the x forged. I hit them the other day on GC2. I keep trying to tell myself that I don't need another set of irons....
    Taylormade M6 w/ATMOS black ts 6x
    Taylormade M5 3 wood w/HZRDUS black 75 6.5
    Taylormade p790 3-pw
    Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges
    Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
    Update:

I bought the x forged today. image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' /> true club ho style!
    Taylormade p790 3-pw
  • GolfBum82GolfBum82 Major Winner Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    Random question, why don’t more Callaway tour players play the x forged?
    That’s a great question. Many pros hung onto the 13 xforged long after they were gone.
    Taylormade p790 3-pw
  • phillyspecialphillyspecial Members Posts: 489 ✭✭
    Has anyone done a combo set with X forged UT in 5i/6i? Or is the UT not really meant to be a real mid iron replacement? I want to game the X forged but would like some more forgiveness in that part of the bag.
  • paztormikepaztormike Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    GolfBum82 wrote:

Random question, why don’t more Callaway tour players play the x forged?

Interesting. It seems to me that lots of them are switching.

Mickelson has used them both as a full set and as a split set with Apex Mb's this year.

Michelle Wie won with them last week.

Jim Furyk hasn't switched irons since Razr X, but is now bagging the X Forged.

If you watch the pictures from tour events, quite a few Callaway guys are using them. In fact, I'm seeing them in more bags than the Apex MB. The guys who are switching to them were the guys playing the old X Forged and even the Apex Pro.
  • PatsNationPatsNation Members Posts: 1,504 ✭✭
    I think Leishman is using them as well
  • VenosAUVenosAU Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Derek666 wrote:

Same. I was finally able to try both last weekend and I actually got better results from the Apex MB. Both were great, but I got slightly more distance with very similar spin with the MB. Both had PX 6.0 shafts.
    Titleist 913D2 9.5* - Diamana S+ Blue 62
    Callaway XR 16 3W 15.5* - Fujikura Speeder 665 Evolution II TS
    Callaway XR 3H 19* - Project X SD 6.0
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW – DG Pro S300
    Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 56*(11* TG)/60*(7* TG)
    Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball 35"
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    Haven’t hit them, but if I bought a set it would be in black boron!

“I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • mah2010mah2010 Grande Prairie ABMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭
    Those look awesome
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,684 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

Haven’t hit them, but if I bought a set it would be in black boron!

Sweet Jesus, those look incredible!
    Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s (In Play) / Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s (Standing By)
    MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and RTX 3 Raw 58* 
     Bettinardi '16 BB1 / '16 Bettinardi Tiki /  '17 Studio Stock 8
    Chrome Soft / TP5/ Wilson Staff FG Tour
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    mah2010 wrote:

Those look awesome
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • RonnieoRonnieo Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Loved the look of this club in Chrome but this puts it over the top.
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 762 ✭✭
    VenosAU wrote:

Derek666 wrote:

Same. I was finally able to try both last weekend and I actually got better results from the Apex MB. Both were great, but I got slightly more distance with very similar spin with the MB. Both had PX 6.0 shafts.

I don't know what was wrong with me the day I did my iron fitting at CC. I worked 5 or 6 heads hard with the same shaft. I thought the MB would be the club. It did have the tightest dispersion but it produced significantly less distance with my swing. Both the X Forged and the Srixon 765/965 could have been justified to go home with me. The X Forged was just a bit better on the monitor and had the best feel for me.

So, I know it was me not getting a good smash factor with the MB, I just don't know why?

I have a lot of rounds in with the X Forged now and though I am a TRUE HO, they will be in the bag all season. They are the best club I have ever played. I have said it here too many times but they are just SO easy to hit high,low,right to left and left to right and all a measured amount. When I moved the MB, I had a tendency to over cook the moves if that makes sense?

Anyway, I wanted the MB, but got the X Forged. They look almost new after almost 2 dozen rounds and lots of range balls.

I usually don't stay excited this long after a purchase but these are the real deal!
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Srixon Z765 with SteelFiber R shafts
    or
    Cobra Black Forged Tec 4i - AW with Recoil F4 shafts
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Oh, changed my mind and still HOing ....but HC finally moving in the right direction.
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,144 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:
    mah2010 wrote:

Those look awesome

Where is the Paddy’s day green though????
    Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
    TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
    Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
    Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,144 ✭✭
    rxk9fan wrote:
    VenosAU wrote:

Derek666 wrote:

I don't know what was wrong with me the day I did my iron fitting at CC. I worked 5 or 6 heads hard with the same shaft. I thought the MB would be the club. It did have the tightest dispersion but it produced significantly less distance with my swing. Both the X Forged and the Srixon 765/965 could have been justified to go home with me. The X Forged was just a bit better on the monitor and had the best feel for me.

So, I know it was me not getting a good smash factor with the MB, I just don't know why?

I have a lot of rounds in with the X Forged now and though I am a TRUE HO, they will be in the bag all season. They are the best club I have ever played. I have said it here too many times but they are just SO easy to hit high,low,right to left and left to right and all a measured amount. When I moved the MB, I had a tendency to over cook the moves if that makes sense?

Anyway, I wanted the MB, but got the X Forged. They look almost new after almost 2 dozen rounds and lots of range balls.

I usually don't stay excited this long after a purchase but these are the real deal!

They are a killer looking set of irons. I would really like to nab a set of these. Was thinking to combo the Mbs in like 8-Pw.
    Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
    TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
    Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
    Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,868 ClubWRX
    rxk9fan wrote:

VenosAU wrote:

Derek666 wrote:

The smaller heads and minimal offset in the MB (or any MB style head) tend to make draws or fades "move" more; at least that has been my experience. I have the X-Forged in 4-7 and MB in 8-PW. I just ordered a 6 and 7 in the MB. Both sets of irons are really good. The only issue I have with a blended set is the difference in finishes, but i am slowly overcoming my OCD.

I also experienced distance loss with the previous model Apex MBs, as you described. They were easily 10 yards short of my normal distances. Some is the weaker lofts in the MBs, but for me I think for me it was more of a shaft issue. I had the Modus 130 in the previous model MB and I have DGTI AMT in the new MBs and I am hitting these at my usual distances. I don't think the Modus 130 was a good combo with the MB for me.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • scooterboy59scooterboy59 Members Posts: 978 ✭✭

Has anyone done a combo set with X forged UT in 5i/6i? Or is the UT not really meant to be a real mid iron replacement? I want to game the X forged but would like some more forgiveness in that part of the bag.
    I have the UT 18,21,24,27 then I have 5,6,7 X forged and 8,9,pw in the Apex MB's. This is a great set up. I both a UT 27 and a 5 iron. Really liking the UT. Launch is higher and that is a good thing for me. I don't think you can go wrong with this type of set up. All have Nippon Pro Modus 120's
    I’m loving my x forged irons. My MP18 are sitting in my office looking at me like, “what the crap happened, we were doing so well?!”
    Taylormade p790 3-pw
  • paztormikepaztormike Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    rxk9fan wrote:

VenosAU wrote:

Derek666 wrote:

I wanted the MB's. I loved hitting them on the range. I was blown away when, on a whim, I took the X Forged with me to the range and liked the look and feel even more than the MB's.

I've had them for a few weeks, and am every bit as happy now as I was when I ordered them.
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,606 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

mah2010 wrote:

Those look awesome

Toursoec does these I think anyone can order
    bogeypro wrote:

I'm loving my x forged irons. My MP18 are sitting in my office looking at me like, "what the crap happened, we were doing so well?!"

update: the x forged have knocked the mmc out of the bag. I sold the mmc today... used part of the money to buy x forged UT 21*

Really enjoying the x forged... just as much as the 2013 model!
    Taylormade p790 3-pw
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,868 ClubWRX
    I removed the paint-fill from my set with the intention of re-painting with white. However, I may just leave them naked.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG Gen1 0311T - DGTI AMT S400
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow