Playing for 2nd place with tiger in the mix now

KscarguyKscarguy Members Posts: 131 ✭✭
I remember when tiger 🐅 was at his peak and how he controlled everything related to golf. I remember interviews from various players and most of the questions asked to them was about tiger. Some if not most of the golfers got tired of answering same questions about tiger. When he was dominating the sport everyone was basically playing for second place. Just like when Hogan came back from the ashes of his injury so is tiger . But tiger is tiger and he will want to lay waste to all who tees it up during the week he plays. Is this the second ( or what ever version we are at now) coming . I think we will see him dominate with scores, driving distance, short game. What does everyone else think?
«13456

Comments

  • mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 940 ✭✭
    His strokes gained stats are comparable to a typical world #1 so I expected him to win a lot, health permitting.
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    No.



    Golf has far greater strength in depth now, than when TW was in his heyday. He could get his game back to where it was before all the injuries, but he won’t win as often. The current crop of players aren’t scarred by week after week of beat downs. The aura has dimmed somewhat.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

    KaBoom Baby!
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,379 ✭✭
    J.B. Holmes plays for 2nd place, most others play for 1st.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,340 ClubWRX
    For the love of all that is good, make it stop.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,410 ✭✭


    No.



    Golf has far greater strength in depth now, than when TW was in his heyday. He could get his game back to where it was before all the injuries, but he won’t win as often. The current crop of players aren’t scarred by week after week of beat downs. The aura has dimmed somewhat.




    I'd say that based on the info below, the "great strength in depth" argument is overrated and if TW were to get to TW 1.0 stage, he would win even more>



    OWGR current compared to 2008



    Current>



    #5 Justin Rose

    #9 Sergio Garcia

    #15 Henrik Stenson

    #12 Paul Casey

    #18 Phil Mickelson



    2008>



    #2 Phil Mickelson

    #7 Justin Rose

    #13 Henrik Stenson

    #16 Sergio Garcia

    #33 Paul Casey



    Incredible that 10 years later, "past their prime" Rose, Sergio, and Casey are ranked BETTER now. Stenson is just two spots lower and 47 year old Phil just won.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,266 ✭✭
    Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:


    Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.
    ...but what if he wins...? lol *keeps eating popcorn*

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,266 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:

    Z1ggy16 wrote:


    Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.
    ...but what if he wins...? lol *keeps eating popcorn*


    lol then this forum will literally erupt into a total free for all.



    I personally do not think he will, but it would be cool.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:


    Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.
    he’s had one MC, a 23rd, 12th, and 2nd. That’s more than one good showing
    Enjoy the chase.
  • ChillyDipperChillyDipper Members Posts: 1,029 ✭✭
    I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody’s game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WIMB:[/font]
    [font="trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif"]Callaway Epic Subzero[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping G 3W[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 712U - 2i [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]VR Pro Blade - 3-9 [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SM6 - GW SW LW[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SC Newport 2 - AOP [/font]
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,191 ✭✭


    I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody’s game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.




    Snead’s record is realistic; 19 is not.
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭
    cdnglf wrote:



    I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody's game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.




    Snead's record is realistic; 19 is not.
    please, keep counting him out. lol there are people all over wrx who said he wouldn't even play again let alone contend. keep it up, crow is currently on the menu. it will be in the future too.

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,266 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2018 #15
    McCann1 wrote:

    Z1ggy16 wrote:


    Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.
    he's had one MC, a 23rd, 12th, and 2nd. That's more than one good showing


    I don't know... to me the MC and the 2nd place finish kind of cancel out. One excellent showing, one extremely poor. So he's got a 23rd (okay) and a 12th (good). So to me this year he's been somewhere between okay and good. Again, just my opinion. Nothing really to say he's the dominating force he once was (yet). He's looking like he's on the upswing here so I'm sure we are all anxious to see how this week goes for him. Really only 1 possibly way to keep the upswing going...



    I think it will be good to see him back in full force by the way. It brings attention and press back to the game like it did a long time ago. Growing up Tiger was literally the only golf name I knew.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,410 ✭✭


    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.




    Look, Mr. Sosa, we're getting ahead of ourselves



    101900035.jpg
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,770 ✭✭
    980x.gif



    We are at the "let's win a tournament" part. Let's worry about the "Winning a major" and "Tiger 2000" steps when we get there.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • MrJonesMrJones Waiting for the weekend... Members Posts: 2,724 ✭✭
    Whether or not they win, I think people have a much broader array of golfers they're interested in and root for. Tiger brought a ton of new interest into the game but that interest was focus on him (deservedly so). Back in those days, if Tiger wasn't doing well or wasn't in a tournament at all, interest waned.



    Now I personally watch and am excited to see multiple golfers at the top of the leader board. DJ, Jordan, Ricky, JT, Dufner, Beef, Stinson, Phil, Bubba, Reed, Hoffman, Rose, Garcia, Day, Rahm, Hideki...these are just guys I enjoy seeing at the top of the leader board off the top of my head.



    My point is that I don't think golf needs Tiger anymore but golf with Tiger is going to be that much better. It's a big win-win for me personally.







    Now the media and press? They are absolutely going to drooling over the opportunity to cover Tiger's balls....
    Cobra Bio Cell Pro
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
    TM RAC MB 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
    Odyssey White Ice 1
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,770 ✭✭
    John Feinstein looks at the downside of Tigermania's return (you've been warned)



    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/john-feinstein-the-downside-to-the-return-of-tiger-mania
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,191 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:

    cdnglf wrote:



    I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody's game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.




    Snead's record is realistic; 19 is not.
    please, keep counting him out. lol there are people all over wrx who said he wouldn't even play again let alone contend. keep it up, crow is currently on the menu. it will be in the future too.




    0 for the last 38
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,451 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2018 #21
    cdnglf wrote:

    gioguy21 wrote:

    cdnglf wrote:



    I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody's game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.




    Snead's record is realistic; 19 is not.
    please, keep counting him out. lol there are people all over wrx who said he wouldn't even play again let alone contend. keep it up, crow is currently on the menu. it will be in the future too.




    0 for the last 38
    *removed b/c i was being snarky*



    like i said, it's on the menu. glad you can count tho. #publicschoolswork

    Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭


    John Feinstein looks at the downside of Tigermania's return (you've been warned)



    https://www.golfdige...-of-tiger-mania




    John Poopstain.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,147 ✭✭
    someone please make the insanity stop...
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,410 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2018 #24


    John Feinstein looks at the downside of Tigermania's return (you've been warned)



    https://www.golfdige...-of-tiger-mania




    Ok, so, he implores us to see all of the great "non-Tiger" stories from the Valspar. He provides background, details, and implications for Casey and the other golfers the real golf fans should be focused on. We should stop being obsessed with Tiger.



    I repeat



    We should stop being obsessed with Tiger!



    And then he titles the article



    "The downside to Tiger-mania's return"
  • gretchgretch Members Posts: 806
    edited Mar 13, 2018 #25
    Everyone else playing for 2nd is certainly overstating it at this point, and maybe/probably forever, BUT he is already at this point a favorite against any one single player in the field. I know I wouldn't put any money against him in a head to head bet even at this young point in his comeback. That is surely saying something considering many thought he would never be in contention again.



    If any naysayer thinks what I just said isn't true, PM me. I would love that action. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • lumberman2462lumberman2462 Members Posts: 5,332 ✭✭


    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.




    That makes way too much sense for around here....getting ahead of ourselves is what we do best.
    SYard T388
    TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
    Old Titleist Blade
  • McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,729 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

    McCann1 wrote:

    Z1ggy16 wrote:


    Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.
    he's had one MC, a 23rd, 12th, and 2nd. That's more than one good showing


    I don't know... to me the MC and the 2nd place finish kind of cancel out. One excellent showing, one extremely poor. So he's got a 23rd (okay) and a 12th (good). So to me this year he's been somewhere between okay and good. Again, just my opinion. Nothing really to say he's the dominating force he once was (yet). He's looking like he's on the upswing here so I'm sure we are all anxious to see how this week goes for him. Really only 1 possibly way to keep the upswing going...



    I think it will be good to see him back in full force by the way. It brings attention and press back to the game like it did a long time ago. Growing up Tiger was literally the only golf name I knew.
    viewed in the context of his comeback I think it’s great. First event back, 23rd. Coming off a MC where he hit it terribly he goes to a course with water everywhere and finishes 12th. Then at a tournament he’s never played he finishes 2nd. If it were anybody else we would say it’s great playing. We can’t hold his past performances against him now. It’s been a great season so far if he can keep this level of play up. He’s bound to win a couple if he does
    Enjoy the chase.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,147 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:

    cdnglf wrote:

    gioguy21 wrote:

    cdnglf wrote:



    I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody's game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.




    Snead's record is realistic; 19 is not.
    please, keep counting him out. lol there are people all over wrx who said he wouldn't even play again let alone contend. keep it up, crow is currently on the menu. it will be in the future too.




    0 for the last 38
    *removed b/c i was being snarky*



    like i said, it's on the menu. glad you can count tho. #publicschoolswork




    yikes
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,147 ✭✭
    gretch wrote:


    Everyone else playing for 2nd is certainly overstating it at this point, and maybe/probably forever, BUT he is already at this point a favorite against any one single player in the field. I know I wouldn't put any money against him in a head to head bet even at this young point in his comeback. That is surely saying something considering many thought he would never be in contention again.



    If any naysayer thinks what I just said isn't true, PM me. I would love that action. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />




    neildegrasse.jpg
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,113 ✭✭
    cdnglf wrote:



    I think Tiger will only really care about one number - 19 - from here on out. Between the majors it will be anybody's game, as he will be trying to get his game in shape for the next major.




    Snead's record is realistic; 19 is not.




    Tiger is not exactly a typical player none of what he has done has been realistic relative to his peers.



    If he stays healthy I have no problem believing he is still capable of 19 given how the older guys are performing later in their careers ... are the odds against him, sure, could he get hurt tomorrow sure, but we're talking about a player who has broken records his whole career.
    TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf Members Posts: 223 ✭✭
    Kscarguy wrote:


    I remember when tiger �� was at his peak and how he controlled everything related to golf. I remember interviews from various players and most of the questions asked to them was about tiger. Some if not most of the golfers got tired of answering same questions about tiger. When he was dominating the sport everyone was basically playing for second place. Just like when Hogan came back from the ashes of his injury so is tiger . But tiger is tiger and he will want to lay waste to all who tees it up during the week he plays. Is this the second ( or what ever version we are at now) coming . I think we will see him dominate with scores, driving distance, short game. What does everyone else think?




    With Tiger in the mix, there is certainly a good chance he comes away with some victories....but good grief, to suggest that everyone is now somehow playing for 2nd place (after Tiger posts 23rd, MC, 12th and 2nd) is simply delusional.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 12.5 degree, Aldila Tour ATX-75 in x-flex
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Bobby Grace 18 Blade putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
Sign In or Register to comment.