Rory worked with Brad Faxon on his putting this week.

Comments

• ThayneilThayneil Members Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Ajit wrote:

Apparently the lesson began with

BF: What do you think of when you're driving the golf ball?

RM: Nothing.

BF: So why don't you do that when you're putting?

nice quick lesson!

RM: Er...
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,197 ✭✭
    I imagine a couple of hours with Fax could work wonders on most people. He talks sense, and is more about feel than tech and mechanics. Met him a couple of time at Open. Absolute gentleman.
  • ex0dusex0dus Members Posts: 501 ✭✭

ex0dus wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

I remember when all the folks on here were bashing one of the Nike sumo drivers for lack of distance. Then a few weeks later it was recalled for being too hot. Only on GolfWRX.

Like clockwork: Applaud Faxon this week, not only his great advice but his acclaimed career as well, and then stomp on him after Rory's next three putt.

Making stuff up isn't going to make your posts any more credible.

Rory had the best putting week of his career after taking advice from Faxon who was widely regarded as one of the best putters on tour for a long time. Those are the facts.

Are you questioning the recall of the Sumo2? Or questioning the GolfWRX reception of the Sumo2?

No I am questioning Fergie making stuff up that hasn't actually happened. I didn't mention drivers or Nike in my post. RIF
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 613 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

I imagine a couple of hours with Fax could work wonders on most people. He talks sense, and is more about feel than tech and mechanics. Met him a couple of time at Open. Absolute gentleman.

I recall Stricker doing the same with Tiger several years back, with a similar improvement in his putting. These guys are good enough that it often only takes a small tweak or reminder to put them back on track.

Never met him, but he does seem like a decent guy.
  • redfirebird08redfirebird08 Members Posts: 7,948 ✭✭
    Rory gained 10 shots on the field at Bay Hill with the putter. Let's see if he can keep this going. If so, he will be almost impossible for the others to beat at Augusta.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,254 ✭✭
    I think there is a whole untapped market out there for putting experts. I know there are a few like Utley, Stockton etc. George Low was the original of course

Cool to think mostly non-mechanical tweaks were so helpful .. sometimes with trackman etc I wonder if all the feel has gone out of the game for some players ie Shampoo vs say a Seve

Guys pay their swing guys big bucks but putting is 40% plus of the game .......
    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 13.5* Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 16.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
    Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

Rory is doing exactly what he's done since he's been on tour. He's the streakiest top player in the game with the putter and the AP was no different. He didn't just find something with Faxon that he didn't find with Stockton. He's streaky with the flat stick. Always was and always will be.

Solid comment here.

Brad Faxon helped out the putting about as much as what Rory ate for breakfast on Sunday morning. And that passed too.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,513 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

J13 wrote:

Rory is doing exactly what he's done since he's been on tour. He's the streakiest top player in the game with the putter and the AP was no different. He didn't just find something with Faxon that he didn't find with Stockton. He's streaky with the flat stick. Always was and always will be.

Solid comment here.

Brad Faxon helped out the putting about as much as what Rory ate for breakfast on Sunday morning. And that passed too.

It's not a criticism of Rory just a fact based on Rory's time on the PGA Tour. Everyone has a weakness and Rory's is his inconsistent putting.
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
    INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • jaydrojaydro Members Posts: 366 ✭✭

Ferguson wrote:

nova6868 wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

Rory had a breakout round because he was overdue. Things came together.

Faxon. 8 wins and no majors. Faxon.

Sure. Pure coincidence that he met with Faxon and his putting went from absolute shite to #1.

I agree he was overdue, but sometimes you need some help to straighten you out. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the guy who helped you.

Here is my take on Rory. Can he follow it up, contend and finish strong or win again soon? As history has shown - probably not. He's a head case.

He took a suggestion and he made some putts.

At the 86 Masters Jack told his son to remind him to keep his head down while putting.

Does that make Jackie a hero or somewhat responsible for the win in 86? Nope.

My point - lots of solid putters on tour presently and through the years.

Most of them have NOT consulted with Brad Faxon.

If he wants to consult with someone - he should consult with a winner. These little suggestions from Faxon will not stand up under the pressure of a major.

Utter nonsense.

x2
    Ferguson wrote:

J13 wrote:

Solid comment here.

I am sure it is just a wild coincidence that Rory had the best putting week of his career right after working with Faxon.

image/WTF.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':WTF:' />
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
    edited Mar 20, 2018 #72
    J13 wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

J13 wrote:

Solid comment here.

It's not a criticism of Rory just a fact based on Rory's time on the PGA Tour. Everyone has a weakness and Rory's is his inconsistent putting.

2017 Rory ranked 140th in putting

2016 he ranked 135th

2015 he didn't have enough rounds to qualify but his stokes gained was -.064 which would have ranked him 124

This year before he worked with Faxon his ranking was over 100. His putting has been pretty consistent most of his career. Consistently bad. 2014 the year he won 2 majors he ranked 41st, his best ranking by far. He only has 2 seasons in the top 100 in putting.
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,251 ✭✭
    ****...Faxon May have performed a top secret black magic Voodoo dance ritual around a sacred pagan pentagram with Rory Last Monday afternoon....

But one thing is for certain.....whatever the heck they did for those 2 or 3 hours definitely worked.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Gone RightGone Right Members Posts: 236
    jaydro wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

nova6868 wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

Rory had a breakout round because he was overdue. Things came together.

Faxon. 8 wins and no majors. Faxon.

Sure. Pure coincidence that he met with Faxon and his putting went from absolute shite to #1.

I agree he was overdue, but sometimes you need some help to straighten you out. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the guy who helped you.

Here is my take on Rory. Can he follow it up, contend and finish strong or win again soon? As history has shown - probably not. He's a head case.

He took a suggestion and he made some putts.

At the 86 Masters Jack told his son to remind him to keep his head down while putting.

Does that make Jackie a hero or somewhat responsible for the win in 86? Nope.

My point - lots of solid putters on tour presently and through the years.

Most of them have NOT consulted with Brad Faxon.

If he wants to consult with someone - he should consult with a winner. These little suggestions from Faxon will not stand up under the pressure of a major.

Utter nonsense.

x2

I’m not sure what history books Ferguson has been reading but I’m pretty sure McIlroy backed up his 2014 British Open win with wins in the next two PGA events he played in, and he also won two tournaments in May 2015 and another two in September 2016. I’d suggest history would completely repudiate his argument, and indicate that when Rory hits the sort of form he showed last weekend that he does back it up by contending and winning for a period.
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 611 ✭✭
    Ferguson lives in his own little world when it comes to reason and logic. Bottom line is Faxon is an accomplished tour player and one of the greatest putters the games ever known. His advice returned Rory's confidence on the greens, watch him go on a tear now. To call Rory a head-case is inappropriate hyperbole at best. Golfers go in streaks, the game is hard and the parity on tour now is unprecedented.
  • AjitAjit Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭

Rory gained 10 shots on the field at Bay Hill with the putter. Let's see if he can keep this going. If so, he will be almost impossible for the others to beat at Augusta.

Nobody can sustain that level but if Rory finishes the year in the top 25 strokes gained putting he'll be back to world number one.
  • LYGLYG Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    Hey Holy Moses:

Did you not like Wozniacki? Or just think it would be demanding to have two world-class athletes married (and never together due to each one's travel schedule).

I thought she was first class -- especially handling Rory dropping her via text or a phone call (not in person).
    TM M2 driver (2016) Fujikura Pro 53
    TM M2 3 and 5 woods, Fujikura Pro 53
    PXG 19 degree hybrid, Fujikura Pro 73
    Mizuno MP 25, 3-PW, Nippon 1150 GH Tour
    Miura wedges, Y grind 53 and 59, Nippon NS Pro
    8802 Palmer or by Cleveland or early 1970's Ping Answer
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,497 ✭✭
    LYG wrote:

Hey Holy Moses:

Did you not like Wozniacki? Or just think it would be demanding to have two world-class athletes married (and never together due to each one's travel schedule).

I thought she was first class -- especially handling Rory dropping her via text or a phone call (not in person).

Caroline is great and seems like a pretty cool person. It’s hard to get the most out of your game when you have to travel all of the world to support your spouse. Erica can travel with Rory instead of two superstars having to mix to careers into one family.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Members Posts: 885 ✭✭
    Captain Obvious here. Rory plays his best when he is playing his most natural. You can see it in his body movements. Just loose and free. When you see him with the really stiff and straight back in both putting and full swing things don’t usually go very well.
  • KingMike KingMike Members Posts: 409 ✭✭
    If someone hasn't already said:

Obviously Rory's got oodles of natural talent on the green. Faxon, for whatever reason, was able to remind him of that and that is gold. May Rory's confidence continue because it is fun as heck to watch.
    Nike driver that looks like a Christmas tree ornament
    Wilson ProStaff 3 hybrid stock UST 
    Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
    Vokey 52 (old)
    Acushnet Bullseye putter with Ping grip
  • d1boundd1bound Members Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Bump

Looks like he is working with him again per Rory's IG.

Link:

G400 LST 8.5*/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
    Callaway X2Hot 4(17*) Wood
    MP-18 Fli-Hi 3/KBS 120 S
    Srixon Z765 4-P/C-Taper 120 S
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52,56,60
    Rife Antigua/Flat Cat

"When I die I'm going out as an underdog who never lost hope" - Joyner Lucas
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,919 ✭✭
    d1bound wrote:

Bump

Link:

Lol, why put on intstatoners?

Free lesson if he did?

• straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 3,094 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

d1bound wrote:

Bump

Link: https://www.instagra...d=1mei1cax056a0

Free lesson if he did?

To pump the new TM putter?

Maybe he gets an extra $50k per post featuring a product. Putter does look pretty sweet.
  • d1boundd1bound Members Posts: 137 ✭✭

bscinstnct wrote:

d1bound wrote:

Bump

Link: [url="

Free lesson if he did?

Maybe he gets an extra $50k per post featuring a product. Putter does look pretty sweet.

I'd say that it's a combination of Rory promoting himself, his sponsors, and also Faxon, as a kind of thank you for giving him the lesson.
    G400 LST 8.5*/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
    Callaway X2Hot 4(17*) Wood
    MP-18 Fli-Hi 3/KBS 120 S
    Srixon Z765 4-P/C-Taper 120 S
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52,56,60
    Rife Antigua/Flat Cat

"When I die I'm going out as an underdog who never lost hope" - Joyner Lucas
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    d1bound wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

d1bound wrote:

Bump

Link: https://www.instagra...d=1mei1cax056a0

Free lesson if he did?

I'd say that it's a combination of Rory promoting himself, his sponsors, and also Faxon, as a kind of thank you for giving him the lesson.

Bingo. SM is only a branding tool for celebrities/athletes. No one posts for fun like the rest of us normals.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,254 ✭✭
    we're all good putters on the practice green. Well most of us

Fax, teach Rors some power of positive thinking. He needs to get less down when he doesn't hit the perfect putt. He gave away the Masters last year after missing the eagle on 2.
    Ping G410 LST 11.5* Blueboard 53x
    Ping G400 13.5* Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 16.5* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
    Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members Posts: 6,373 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

we're all good putters on the practice green. Well most of us

Fax, teach Rors some power of positive thinking. He needs to get less down when he doesn't hit the perfect putt. He gave away the Masters last year after missing the eagle on 2.

Totally agree. McIlroy is a headcase. A golf psychologist like Rotella could work wonders on him, but I suspect he's too stubborn to countenance going down that road.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,025 ✭✭
    Poor Phil Kenyon, well and truly ditched! I imagine he will be consoling himself by starting yet another war of words with someone on Twitter.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,644 ✭✭
    edited Jan 16, 2019 11:29am #89
    MattyO1984 wrote:

Poor Phil Kenyon, well and truly ditched! I imagine he will be consoling himself by starting yet another war of words with someone on Twitter.

I was intrigued by Phil Kenoyn, constantly hearing his name, but when he appeared in the Sky Sports' studio (during the Masters last year if I recall correctly) I was massively disappointed. I found him uninteresting and full of gibberish. Maybe he believes his own hype.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x