Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

!WOW! 1968-2017 masters final round coverage

Comments

• gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    I will never top this post. can't beleive they posted these for free. pure gold jerry!
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • loneacerloneacer Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Did they remove McCord from the 1994 broadcast before posting? I'm going to give that one a watch.
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just watched '74 ... The course looks so much more natural and "real", not so artificially green.

Loved hearing the sound of persimmon again. And seeing pros hit yardages I can relate to.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It says it's the official masters channel, but I'm not so sure. If not, hope it stays up for a while still!!
    It's legit.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/you-can-now-watch-the-last-50-masters-telecasts-in-one-spot

Augusta National Golf Club has made the last 50 final-round telecasts available for free on the Masters YouTube channel. That means you can watch Tiger Woods' chip-in at the 16th, Larry Mize break Greg Norman's heart, Fuzzy Zoeller steal the show as a rookie, Phil Mickelson's four-inch leap, and Jack Nicklaus re-conjure the roars from yesteryear anytime your heart desires, all with the click of your mouse.
  • GolfnutgalenGolfnutgalen Members Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

It says it's the official masters channel, but I'm not so sure. If not, hope it stays up for a while still!!
    It's legit.

https://www.golfdige...sts-in-one-spot

Augusta National Golf Club has made the last 50 final-round telecasts available for free on the Masters YouTube channel. That means you can watch Tiger Woods' chip-in at the 16th, Larry Mize break Greg Norman's heart, Fuzzy Zoeller steal the show as a rookie, Phil Mickelson's four-inch leap, and Jack Nicklaus re-conjure the roars from yesteryear anytime your heart desires, all with the click of your mouse.

Wow, major props to them!
  • littleinjunplittleinjunp Banned Posts: 194
    edited Mar 18, 2018 #37
    Why is everyone so obsessed with the 86 tournament?

He was 46, guys. 46. Not 80.
  • Frank-0-SportFrank-0-Sport Members Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Hallelujah ! Nothing more to say!
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

I like to see at least one of Seves and Faldos.

Which ones are the best?

83 seve made eagle on the 2nd and it was good night from there. the more shocking thing about that year was Floyd and Watson 2 past champions folding on the back nine.

For Faldo 89 and 96 have drama and painful misses.Watching norman almost chip in for eagle on 15 then fat it into the pond on 16 was brutal. The look on his face during the tee shot was just pure despair almost tragic.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what the golf channel should be showing every week. To appreciate the history of the game you have to see the guys who did it. They used to show these all the time 10-12 years ago and then poof. they also had access to the vault of pga tour classics.
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    This is awesome, for someone that has not watched any masters before 2008 what years shold be my highest priorities?
  • Mantis312Mantis312 Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    How awesome!

I know they are often pretty corny but watch the CBS intro (2:02 to 4:15) for the 1999 Masters final round coverage. A pretty spine tingling intro but also painful to watch as you know he never got it done. I know hes a pretty polarizing character but I just can't help but dream Norman had won just one green jacket given all his near misses....
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 18, 2018 #43
    The memories of these videos underline that the Masters final round is best day in sport.

One of my favourites was Tiger-Phil playing together in 2009, have never been able to find that full broadcast before. Mickelson was 5th in the end, and Tiger was T6. But they were both 6 under for the day after 16 holes. Phil went out in 30 shots, while Tiger birdied 14, 15, 16. Great stuff.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • finleysgfinleysg MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching some of 1975's coverage, there is a split screen where the left side stays on the player, and the right pans wide from behind the hole. Pretty cool.
    D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
    3W: Rogue SZ - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 Graphite
    3H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
    4H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
    Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 52, Ping Glide 58
    Putter: OWorks 2-ball

Brand Loyalty: None

• ChillyDipperChillyDipper Members Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet Di Vicenzo would wish this collection of posts starts at 1969.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WIMB:[/font]
    [font="trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif"]Callaway Epic Subzero[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping G 3W[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 712U - 2i [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]VR Pro Blade - 3-9 [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SM6 - GW SW LW[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SC Newport 2 - AOP [/font]
    Amazing to see how much rougher the course looked back in 1968. One pro, Bruce Devlin, is seen cleaning the crud out from around his spikes right on the fringe of the green (around the 9:25) mark. Can you imagine the vitriol if a pro did that to any of the greens on Sunday nowadays?
    Also, I love the scale model of the course showing how the pro's played the hole around the 15:00 mark (1968). Would be cool if they still did that.
  • salmon1asalmon1a Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:

Masters Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube..../masters/videose

Can't wait to watch these!
    Thanks for sharing! Recently watched the Jack's back 9 in '86 and now this - by the time April 5th rolls around I'll be primed.
  • hondaloyalhondaloyal Members Posts: 404 ✭✭

This is awesome, for someone that has not watched any masters before 2008 what years shold be my highest priorities?

My question also. I am going to start with Seve wins 1980 1983.

Very cool. You gotta love the masters where money isn't the bottom line, it is the love of the game.
    [font=georgia,serif]Mizuno JPX900 Driver- speeder 569 S[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Mizuno MP53 5-pw. dynalite gold XP S300 [/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Mizuno MP54 4 i. dynamic gold S30[/font]zu
    [font=georgia, serif]Mizuno JPX900 3W Tensei CK Blue S[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Mizuno JPX900 22 hybrid Fujikura pro63 regular[/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]Mizuno S5 wedges 52, 54, 58 KBS Tour X[/font]
    [font=georgia, serif]Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport [/font]
    [font=georgia,serif]EZGO 2012 RXV[/font]
  • BaddsBadds Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 18, 2018 #50

1997 - Tiger's first major. Destroyed the field. The dawn of a new age in golf.

1986 - Jack Nicklaus wins his 18th major at the age of 46. Shot -7 on Sunday. Leaderboard included Greg Norman, Seve, Tom Watson, Tom Kite and Nick Price. A murderer's row of top golfers of the day but topped by the best of all time for one last major.

Those would be my first 2 before 2008.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 13,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Love to see the 13th tee just next to the 12th green when Player won
  • redfirebird08redfirebird08 Members Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    lowheel wrote:

This is what the golf channel should be showing every week. To appreciate the history of the game you have to see the guys who did it. They used to show these all the time 10-12 years ago and then poof. they also had access to the vault of pga tour classics.

I miss the days when they would air those old shows with Sam Snead, Bob Hope, etc. Also the Shell golf show. Wish they would go back to showing those in addition to the old majors.
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 18, 2018 #53
    oh now I am definitely watching Floyd in '76.

edit: oh my goodness it's amazing... the soothing voices of Pat Summerall and Ben Wright... 5 button placket shirts and Sansabelt... and an Amana headwear fest.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,402 ClubWRX
    Artificial, lol. She was all natural, real and spectacular in '16!
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Hogan wrote:

1997 - Tiger's first major. Destroyed the field. The dawn of a new age in golf.

1986 - Jack Nicklaus wins his 18th major at the age of 46. Shot -7 on Sunday. Leaderboard included Greg Norman, Seve, Tom Watson, Tom Kite and Nick Price. A murderer's row of top golfers of the day but topped by the best of all time for one last major.

Those would be my first 2 before 2008.

Tyvm sir
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,402 ClubWRX
    Jack Nicklaus - 1990 Masters - 50 years old - 13th hole - longest drive of the day at 300 yards, outdrives Faldo by 35 yards!

Why is everyone so obsessed with the 86 tournament?

He was 46, guys. 46. Not 80.

If you have to ask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that Nicklaus in 1986 and Tiger in 1997 would be the two to start with.

Others

1968: Seeing the course and broadcast as far back as you can. Also we can see how they dealt with Roberto's ruling.

1975: Jack vs. Miller and Weiskopf

1977: Watson vs. Nicklaus I: what's more jaw dropping? Jack choking or Vin Scully describing the last nine as the "back side."

1978: Player with a huge comeback

1979: Ed Sneed's late collapse and Fuzzy wins in the first Sudden Death

1982: the redone course starts to really challenge the players and Stadler almost gives it away

1987: shocking winner in a playoff, but a very exciting finish

1988: Lyle's birdie winner is a must see

1991: three go to #18 with the lead only Woosnam makes a par

1995: Ben!

1996: Watch again just to make sure it happened

1998: O'Meara's win had a great finish

2004: Phil FINALLY!

2007: if you like carnage
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    1998 had the great O'Meara win, but also a pretty dang good charge from 58 year old Nicklaus. By this point he had at least one hip surgery, maybe two. Not sure. Anyway, that charge is just further evidence of why he's the GOAT.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Jack Nicklaus - 1990 Masters - 50 years old - 13th hole - longest drive of the day at 300 yards, outdrives Faldo by 35 yards!

Back then golfers would actually try to draw it around the corner to give them a shorter approach. Now they either drive it through the fairway into the pine straw or try to fade it over the trees. If these guys today could hit a draw, they'd have a wedge into the green.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

Hawkeye77 wrote:

Back then golfers would actually try to draw it around the corner to give them a shorter approach. Now they either drive it through the fairway into the pine straw or try to fade it over the trees. If these guys today could hit a draw, they'd have a wedge into the green.

Well there are the two lefty faders that have a nice advantage on that hole. Remember Bubba hitting that 360+ bomb fade one of the years he won. Pretty incredible. All the right to left doglegs around that course seem to be a very nice advantage for Bubba and Phil. I like their chances this year. Both guys in great form.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file