University Golf Courses

Let's hear about your favorite college or university golf course. Being from Ohio, my vote goes to the OSU Scarlet course.

I've also played the Finley course at UNC Chapel Hill.

Comments

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,659 ✭✭
    Three good ones in the Triangle area. Lonnie Poole at NC State, Finley at UNC, and Duke. I worked at the Duke course, so I would pick Duke as my favorite.
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    Don't have much experience, but loved both the Rawls (Lubbock - Texas Tech) and Finkbine (Iowa City - University of Iowa).
    Clubs are fluid
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,250 ClubWRX

Let's hear about your favorite college or university golf course. Being from Ohio, my vote goes to the OSU Scarlet course.

I've also played the Finley course at UNC Chapel Hill.

I played your scarlet course a couple months back while I was in town for a wedding; I'm sorry bud but your favorite club let me down so much;

the greatest university course imho will always be the club at yale. My alma mata at UF has a donald ross gem but not worth noting.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w, 3w, 5w, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AP3 4i, 3i Accra i100 // Epons 301 4-Pw, Accra i80
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,983 ✭✭
    I've played the two Kampen courses at Purdue, the Warren course at Notre Dame, Finkbine (U of Iowa), the University of Michigan golf course, Eagle Crest (U of Eastern Michigan), University Ridge (U of Wisconsin), and Stone Creek (U of Illinois).

IMHO, University Ridge is the top of the bunch.
  • medicoreMAgolfermedicoreMAgolfer Posts: 250 ✭✭
    I wouldn’t say the best, but among the most unique is Nehoiden, which is the 9 hole course owned by Wellesley Collge (all women’s school in Boston suburbs). Course is old (maybe the oldest 9 hole course in the US) and literally there is nothing other than the golf course (no club house, no carts, etc.). You show up, wait your turn, and tee off. Need to be a “member”, which is open to college alumna, college employees, town employees, and town residents.

Place is also open dawn till dusk, and you’ll see people out there at 5:00am or 8:00pm in the summer
  • ice_eph29ice_eph29 Posts: 149 ClubWRX
    Taconic Golf Club at Williams College. Go Purple Cows!
    Rogue Black Tie 8M3 sg
    Rogue 15* Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
    XR Pro 4-AW RIP Tour SLT 115 Silver
    MD Forged 52/58
    Odyssey ProType iX 9HT
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,162 ✭✭
    I respect your opinion OP, but Scarlet isn’t my cup of tea.

I live a mile from Scarlet in Upper Arlington and I only play it a couple times a year with a WRX buddy of mine.

After Jack remodeled it to make it tough enough to be able to host tournaments it’s far to brutal for my taste.

Super extreme greens complexes with a ton of slope and fairway bunkers that could swallow a car. No thanks. The overall layout isn’t that special either.

My buddy keeps asking me to join but I just don’t want to play it every week. To bad. It would be incredibly convenient.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Fade to BlackFade to Black Members Posts: 3,776 ✭✭
    Forest Akers - Michigan State University

Finley - UNC at Chapel Hill
    Driver: Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
    Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
    Irons: Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
    Wedges: Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
    Putter: Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
    Balls: Srixon ZstarXV
    The Orchards. I'm not sure if it is owned by Mt Holyoke College, but it is right next to it. A wealthy guy had a 9 hole course built for his daughter who was attending Mt Holyoke. Later Donald Ross was brought in and added 9, and renovated the course. I might not have all the facts right, but I think I'm close. The 2004 Women's US Open was played there.
  • jaredercojarederco Members Posts: 538
    I also really enjoyed the Rawls Course at Texas Tech; Probably because I like Tom Doak courses...
  • mjen43mjen43 Posts: 928
    Palouse Ridge (Washington State) is excellent. Great spot.
  • b.heltsb.helts Members Posts: 2,825 ✭✭
    Stanford and UNM. Slight nod to UNM.
  • One_Putt_BlunderOne_Putt_Blunder Members Posts: 10,795 ✭✭
    b.helts wrote:

Played Stanford back in 1992 or 3, would love to play it again when I head back to the Bay Area. Playing UNM next month for the first time
    [twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
    10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
    14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
    Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
    WITB Link
  • PThomasPThomas ClubWRX Posts: 776 ClubWRX
    University of Maryland is a solid track. Had a Nationwide (prior to Web) stop there for two years.
    2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
    M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
    TM P790 UDI #2
    TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
    Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
    TM Spider Putter
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Posts: 845 ✭✭
    I have only played Stanford and like it. Tiger use to drive over all the doglegs which no one else could do and gave him a huge advantage.
  • FlopShotFredFlopShotFred Members Posts: 342
    I've always felt like the Pete Dye river course at Virginia Tech is a tamer Dye design that's fun, scenic and flies somewhat under the radar.
    Taylormade M1 8.5 Rogue 70X
    TEE E8 Tour 15* Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist 909 19* ProForce V2 90X
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-P
    Vokey 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron X5
  • oneunderbogeyoneunderbogey Lefty Boomers Posts: 631 ✭✭
    VTs course is a lot of fun. I haven't played a lot of the other big ones
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,876 ✭✭
    The Course at Yale followed by Princeton Springdale. Can’t beat’em like a sore Peter.
  • TheLarchTheLarch Major Winner Members Posts: 964 ✭✭
    Miller Memorial Course for Murray State University is one of my favorites. Ben Hawes GC for Brescia University is also a top track.
    Tayormade 2016 M2 HL Driver 
    Taylormade 2016 M2 3 wood 15*
    Taylormade RBZ 5 wood 19*
    Taylormade RBZ hybrid 22*
    Mizuno MP H5 irons 4/PW 
    Cleveland 588 RTX 50* & 56* Wedges
    Ping iN Craz-e putter
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,842 ✭✭
    Played at Florida State University when I was in grad school. Played at University Ridge at UW-Madison when I was a PhD student.

Prefer the latter.
    Mizuno St-180 9.5
    Mizuno JPX 900 15
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-Gw
    (Wedges TBD)
    (Putter TBD)
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭
    The Championship course at the University of New Mexico.

• bnp144bnp144 Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Warren is hosting the Senior US Open next year.
  • FREEgoneFREEgone Members Posts: 38
    Played both courses @ Notre Dame when I was there. The Burke course has a special place in the heart, could see it from dorm window.

Other college tracks I have played- UGA, UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest*, GA Tech*, U Miami*...

*these aren't on campus

• crazy8golfercrazy8golfer Unregistered Posts: 1,292
    edited May 24, 2018 #25
    UGA has a great golf course, it's no picnic. The greens are always in excellent shape with a lot of movement.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • CMCSGolfCMCSGolf Members Posts: 499 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

I've played the two Kampen courses at Purdue, the Warren course at Notre Dame, Finkbine (U of Iowa), the University of Michigan golf course, Eagle Crest (U of Eastern Michigan), University Ridge (U of Wisconsin), and Stone Creek (U of Illinois).

IMHO, University Ridge is the top of the bunch.

I've played a lot of the same, but can add the Scarlet at OSU and Karsten at ASU. However, I was completely underwhelmed by University Ridge. It's a nice course, but I didn't see anything special there, but it was just one play. The Kampen or Scarlet would be my favorites.
  • carreracarrera Members Posts: 2,541 ✭✭

b.helts wrote:

Played Stanford back in 1992 or 3, would love to play it again when I head back to the Bay Area.

Has changed due to expansion around the course. Not as good a course now as back then.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length - Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
    Cobra F9 14.5 - Atmos Blue Stiff
    Callaway Epic Hybrid - Recoil 780 stiff
    Cobra King 3/4 Utility - Recoil 780 Smacwrap F4
    Cobra King Forged TEC Black - Recoil 95 F4 5-PW
    Cobra King Black wedges 54/58 versatile grinds - Recoil 110 F4
    Odyssey 2Ball
    TM TP5X
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,374 ClubWRX
    Finkbine in Iowa City.

Years ago played what was then the Notre Dame course - liked it, but believe it got replaced.
    FREEgone wrote:

Played both courses @ Notre Dame when I was there. The Burke course has a special place in the heart, could see it from dorm window.

Other college tracks I have played- UGA, UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest*, GA Tech*, U Miami*...

*these aren't on campus
    Wake Forest practices at Old Town Club, which is right next to WFU, but not owned by the school. Old Town Club was built in 1939,and Wake Forest University didn't move to Winston-Salem until the 50s.
  • Jackhammer993Jackhammer993 Posts: 845 ✭✭
    This is a little off topic but when I played high school golf back in the day we would always play Carmel High School and Robert Louis Stevenson High School. My coach set up these matches because Carmel’s home course was Pebble Beach and RLS was Spyglass Hill. Now those are some amazing courses tied to schools.
  • mcadenheadmcadenhead Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I have only played ND's Warren Course, both courses at Purdue, USF, and Georgia Southern. Course at Georgia Southern was by far the best of the bunch.