University Golf Courses

Comments

• byatesg5byatesg5 Members Posts: 57
    Played Duke numerous times and really enjoy it. Each time I play Lonnie Poole at NC State I leave liking it a little bit more. Being a UNC fan and living in the triangle I am sad to say I have never played Finley.
  • bluetees1999bluetees1999 Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for all the input. Keep the comments coming!
  • noahdavis_7noahdavis_7 Members Posts: 263 ✭✭

Played at Florida State University when I was in grad school. Played at University Ridge at UW-Madison when I was a PhD student.

Prefer the latter.

FSU is getting the Nicklaus re-design. It was unfit for their golf program.

As of right now, it is a good public course. After he gets done with it it will likely be a phenomenal track.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM M2 16' with a Fukijura speeder 661 X flex
    TM RBZ 3 Wood 15* with the stock stiff shaft
    Titleist 716 MB 3 Iron
    Mizuno MP-68 4-PW
    Nike SV 56*
    [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SM6 F Grind 52* GW[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM Tour Spider Black 35"[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM TP5x ball[/font]
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    Only played Stanford and ND Warren course. Really like Stanford's where you tee off above a road! Warren was an OK links style.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,102 ✭✭
    Is the Walker Course in Clemson associated with the university? Thats not the absolute best course, but its pretty solid.
  • rkristopherandersonrkristopheranderson Members Posts: 435 ✭✭
    I played at Kampen a lot back in the early 2000s and loved the courses (have not had a chance to play to newly resigned Ackerman). Here in NC I've played Duke and Lonnie Poole and prefer Duke's course. Another fine university facility is Campbell's Keith hills--good practice facility, accessible yet fun course.

I'd love to play the Yale Course, but that won't ever happen.
    Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
    Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
    Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
    Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
    Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
    Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
    Vokey SM4 60-04
    Scotty Cameron California Monterrey
  • smith851smith851 Members Posts: 375 ✭✭
    edited Mar 21, 2018 #38
    Midwest guy here. Played:

Forest Akers West (MSU)

UofM

Radrick Farms (UofM)

Warren at ND

University Ridge (Wisconsin)

The Meadows at GVSU

Eagle Crest (EMU)

of those University Ridge is the best in my mind. UofM and Warren at ND close behind

hope to get to the restoration of Inverness, Toledo i believe still plays their golf there. Also the 9 hole Langford at Culver Academies is on the list
    Callaway Rogue 9* / Project-X Even Flow Blue 65 6.5
    Callaway XR 16 Pro 16* / Fujikura Speeder Evo II TS 765
    Srixon Z745 (3i-PW) / Dynamic Gold S400
    Callaway MD3 50*, 54* & 58* / Dynamic Gold S300
    Odyssey Versa #1Wide w/ SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
  • disco111disco111 Members Posts: 990 ✭✭
    Oklahoma based............OU and OSU. The OU course back in the day was decent enough and affordable. Now, since it has been revamped twice and at no cost to the school, it's a great layout, but sadly to expensive for the vast majority, even with a student discount. Now as for the OSU course............apparently they really don't want anyone to play it, unless your on the golf team or a well healed alumni. As for the course itself, I was able to walk the course when there was a big tournament and listened to several players and coaches, Whatever type of fairway grass they have, it allows the ball to sit up and if your not a sweeper, you go right under the ball and just pop it up. Took more than a few players out of contention right from the get go. Greens were huge and super fast. After watching and walking along, it was a course that didn't make my bucket list........
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,547 ✭✭
    St. Andrews FTW.
  • razor_1razor_1 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    U.S. Naval Academy and Air Force Academy are fantastic courses. USNA is by William Flynn and AFA is Robert Trent Jones. I am also partial to Univ. of MD. Even though I didn't select the school, we used to play our annual high school state championships there. I have also played UNC's, Duke and NC State's courses and all are worth the price of admission. Yale and West Point are also on my bucket list.

I didn't play it, but University of New Mexico's also looks like a nice track. I was there on business and didn't play golf at that time.
    Cobra F6+ 12 deg, Cobra F6+1 Hybrid, Cobra F6 3,4,5 hybrid, Mizuno 850 6-PW, Cleveland Classic GW 46, Wilson Staff FG copper SW 52, Vokey SW 56, Odyssey Versa, Callaway Chrome Soft.

• theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭

I played at Kampen a lot back in the early 2000s and loved the courses (have not had a chance to play to newly resigned Ackerman). Here in NC I've played Duke and Lonnie Poole and prefer Duke's course. Another fine university facility is Campbell's Keith hills--good practice facility, accessible yet fun course.

It's not that hard to get onto Yale's course. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭

The Course at Yale followed by Princeton Springdale. Can’t beat’em like a sore Peter.

The Ivy League courses are solid. I also like Cornell's, even though it's a tier or two below the ones you mentioned image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • razor_1razor_1 Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Almost forgot, I also played Coastal Carolina's course outside of Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. Not as nice as those I mentioned, but still well worth the trip.
    Cobra F6+ 12 deg, Cobra F6+1 Hybrid, Cobra F6 3,4,5 hybrid, Mizuno 850 6-PW, Cleveland Classic GW 46, Wilson Staff FG copper SW 52, Vokey SW 56, Odyssey Versa, Callaway Chrome Soft.

• caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭

I used to play Keith Hills a lot when I lived in Raleigh. Fun Course, and usually in very good shape. Good hand squeezed orange and lemonade,
  • watchesandputters13watchesandputters13 Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Let's hear about your favorite college or university golf course. Being from Ohio, my vote goes to the OSU Scarlet course.

I've also played the Finley course at UNC Chapel Hill.

Scarlet is a fantastic course!
  • ogcogc Members Posts: 38 ClubWRX
    I'd rate the Triangle courses as follows:

1. Duke

2. UNC Finley

3. Lonnie Poole

Also played Keith Hills (Campbell)
  • QC HeelQC Heel Members Posts: 73 ✭✭
    Finley at UNC is BY FAR the best. It's not even close. Stop. Don't want to hear it.
  • PThomasPThomas ClubWRX Posts: 776 ClubWRX
    razor_1 wrote:
    U.S. Naval Academy and Air Force Academy are fantastic courses. USNA is by William Flynn and AFA is Robert Trent Jones. I am also partial to Univ. of MD. Even though I didn't select the school, we used to play our annual high school state championships there. I have also played UNC's, Duke and NC State's courses and all are worth the price of admission. Yale and West Point are also on my bucket list.

I didn't play it, but University of New Mexico's also looks like a nice track. I was there on business and didn't play golf at that time.

**** I forgot about USNA and I’m from Annapolis! Phenomenal track to begin with but should be pretty awesome once they get through the phased restoration.
    2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
    M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
    TM P790 UDI #2
    TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
    Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
    TM Spider Putter
  • PepsiDuckPepsiDuck Members Posts: 1,850 ✭✭

I've always felt like the Pete Dye river course at Virginia Tech is a tamer Dye design that's fun, scenic and flies somewhat under the radar.

I spent a lot of time there in 2005-06 when it first opened and the clubhouse was still a trailer. An absolute monster from the tips...I really need to get back out there now that it's only a few hours away.
    TaylorMade M2 (2017) 10.5* - Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
    TaylorMade M2 (2017) Tour 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 757 X
    Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Miura CB57 4-P - KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Miura Series 1957 Wedges - 51* (Y), 56* (K) - KBS C-Taper Lite X
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 60*
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
  • tbrumbeloe13tbrumbeloe13 GeorgiaMembers Posts: 702 ✭✭
    UGA Course. Great layout with some really tough greens
  • itshedleyitshedley Members Posts: 41
    Definitely agree with Yale.

Enjoyed the Scarlet but nothing close to how interesting Yale is.
    WITB:

9° Callaway Epic Driver
    15° Callaway Rogue 3W
    19° Callaway Steelhead 3Hy
    22° Callaway Steelhead 4Hy
    5-PW Callaway Apex CF 16
    54° Callaway MD3 S Grind
    58° Callaway MD3 PM Grind
    Toulon Memphis
  • sdedalus23sdedalus23 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Taconic. Fantastic course.
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,311 ✭✭
    I've played the Univ of Texas course and I loved it. For some reason it doesn't get much love from the course raters.

Really enjoyed following Spieth around the course for a tournament there.
  • golfdaddy01golfdaddy01 Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I am an okie and think Jimmy Austin at OU is great layout though tough , very fun to play , and yes karsten creek osu is crazy expensive the course is scenic and beautiful and great track. Not worth the $350 to play but great track . I have played many university courses and put these right up there with the best of them. Also Stanford’s is amazing
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,860 ✭✭
    Fond of my alma mater, University of Guelph, golf course called Cutten Fields ... an older Stanley Thompson gem

I do enjoy the Hackler Course at CCU in Myrtle
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • nybluebirdnybluebird Members Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Another vote for Yale. I was fortunate enough to get on a couple of times, and was pretty sweet. A few odd and quirky holes though.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:
    Is the Walker Course in Clemson associated with the university? Thats not the absolute best course, but its pretty solid.

I’d say so since the par 3 17th hole looks like a tiger paw.
  • cagecitizencagecitizen Members Posts: 166
    edited Mar 23, 2018 #59
    I'm a member at Lonnie Poole. Used to play Bethpage Black so I feel right at home on this course. Scoreable if you're having a good day with your irons; if not, it's penal AF.
    • [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815; Oban Devotion 6 shaft, 65 grams[/font]
    • [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3-Wood: Nike Covert 2 Standard; Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage (stock)[/font]
    • [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3-Hybrid: Nike Covert 2 Tour; Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage (stock)[/font]
    • [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: Mizuno MP-H5 (4 through PW); True Temper Dynamic Gold S300[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wedges: 50, 56, 60 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titelst[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] SM4 / SM5[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter: BPutters Coyote Model milled from Italian 303SS (heel-shafted)[/font]
    • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Grips: Golf Pride New Decade MultiCompound (standard / 3-wraps)[/font]
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 807 ✭✭
    I played The Walker Course (Clemson) last June, nice track.

Not sure it is their home course but I played The Watson Course at Reunion Resort in Kissimmee Florida last week. We got behind the UCF golf team. 3 hour back nine. UGH!!!
  • Fade to BlackFade to Black Members Posts: 3,776 ✭✭
    Seeing a lot of Lonnie Poole. Just don't personally enjoy this track, to be honest. I never come off the 18th feeling like I've enjoyed myself, usually feel like I've been roughed up in a dark alleyway somewhere. Very penal, for me, and not quite visually striking.
    Driver: Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
    Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
    Irons: Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
    Wedges: Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
    Putter: Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
    Balls: Srixon ZstarXV