2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Putter Swingweight (Rory's is D1)

Thought I would start a separate topic on putter swingweights. If you've weighed retail putters recently, most of them fall into E0 or more. Many 35" putters are E4 or more. Total weights are usually 535+.

Yet we have specs on Rory's new putter, 508 grams and D1. That is a completely different feel. Ive heard Tiger's putter is somewhere in the range of D6, and Fowler's is about the same.

tDklHrS.jpg

Why do you think retail has been going heavier and heavier? I suspect it's because many amateurs putt better (at least directionally) with heavier putters. I've noticed this myself in stores, only to find that when I get to an actual green my distance control isn't great with the heavier putter.

So how do you increase swing weight on a putter?

lead tape or heavier weights.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I've noticed that my lag putting is much better with the putter I have that is heavier. However, my short putting is much much better with my lighter putter. Unfortunately I don't have exact weights or a scale so I can't provide much more info.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

There's a clip on YouTube where scotty is talking about making Tigers putter back in the day and saying Tiger had to have a D2 swingweight.

Correct. That is where one of the most iconic things in Golf comes from. The Scotty Red Dot.

Scotty needed to lower the swingweight of Tigers putter just the tiniest bit because Tiger has always been incredibly detail conscious and swingweight conscious and wanted it at EXACTLY D-2.

Scotty drilled out the dot and filled it with the closest paint he had laying around....red translucent, and the rest is history.

Even though the Red Dots are now just cosmetic, they started out as a swingweighting trick. A happy accident for Scotty when everyone starting asking for “that putter with the red dot on the back”.

Quick putter question, did not want to start a thread as I am sure y'all will know.

Do companies have the sight lines done during mass production? I am curious since I do not like sight lines if I would have any luck requesting a retail head with no sight marks or is this a small shop custom request only?

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

Quick putter question, did not want to start a thread as I am sure y'all will know.

Do companies have the sight lines done during mass production? I am curious since I do not like sight lines if I would have any luck requesting a retail head with no sight marks or is this a small shop custom request only?

Most are done during production, you won't have much luck with your request. Years ago you could maybe talk PING into doing it, not so much lately.

A happy accident for Scotty when everyone starting asking for “that putter with the red dot on the back”.

Ironically now the putters are ruined by having cherry dots all over every available surface.

But anyway, interesting that Tiger's putter is D2. Fowler's must be similar, it's basically the same putter from what I understand. Scotty gave him an old GSS putter head that was milled specifically for Tiger.

Great topic. When checking out putters at my local PGASS, I asked the repair guys to measure the swingweigh on several putters. They looked at me like I had a third eye or something.

For me, my putting is better when the swingweight is lighter (under D7), as it feels to me like I have to make more of a stroke to get the ball to the hole. When its heavier, I feel like I have to decrease the follow through for fear of running the put several feet past the hole.

Working right now on getting the swingweight of my Tour Black Spider to around D5 from E0. Will try various heavier grips, and/or cut the length by 1/4" or so. Can't really do anything with the weights as it already has the lightest weights they make, 2g each.

Thought I would start a separate topic on putter swingweights. If you've weighed retail putters recently, most of them fall into E0 or more. Many 35" putters are E4 or more. Total weights are usually 535+.

Yet we have specs on Rory's new putter, 508 grams and D1. That is a completely different feel. Ive heard Tiger's putter is somewhere in the range of D6, and Fowler's is about the same.

tDklHrS.jpg

Why do you think retail has been going heavier and heavier? I suspect it's because many amateurs putt better (at least directionally) with heavier putters. I've noticed this myself in stores, only to find that when I get to an actual green my distance control isn't great with the heavier putter.

To a customer in a store the heavier weight feels more "stable" and it increases sales. (my opinion)

tDklHrS.jpg

IMO, since you take such a small swing with a putter, total weight is much more important than swing weight.

I weighed a couple of my putters, and they were around 520G at 35, I generally think they feel heavier than I would like. Pulled out two old putters, one a mid 80's Anser2 and the other the original Rossi 2. The Rossi might have been one of the best putters I had. Ping and the Rossi came in around 480G. at 35. Time to build a putter 500 or less total weight.

the red spider has no lines or dots on it.....totally blank

tDklHrS.jpg

IMO, since you take such a small swing with a putter, total weight is much more important than swing weight.

Was about to say the same thing, total weight is more important than swingweight. There are so many ways to counterweight a heavy head to make it feel lighter and most putters come with weights in the head. I think most people like a heavier putter for the stability, at least i do. My old school Ping Anser weighs 475; my Odyssey Oworks 2Ball with lead tape weighs 540 grams (originally I think it was 525 grams).

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

Just as a comparison, Guerin Rife of Evnroll (formerly Rife) thinks D7 is the "sweetspot" for putter swingweight and increases the weight of the heads of his putters as they get shorter so they all measure D7 regardless of length.

Good point. I think he also uses back weighting for a slight counter-balance effect. His stock grips weigh something like 110-115 grams. Probably works for lots of amateurs, but it seemed like counter-balancing never really took off on tour.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a 35" inch€ Ping Sigma G Kushin (360g head weight) with the PP60 grip. I put it on my SW scale and it came out to E9! This is by far the heaviest SW that I have found on a stock putter. Has anyone ever putted with something with this heavy of a SW? Good/bad?

Some of these newer putters with light grips and heavy heads come out with really high SWs. Some people seem to really like it. Personally I don't care for it - messes with my distance control.

I think an open discussion on this topic is a great read. With "feel" being such an intensely personal factor, I believe that the only true way to find your perfect weight is to try as many putters as you can and keep track in some way. What works for one guy may very well not work for the next guy, even if they are same height, weight and stroke path.

This discussion is a great way to get input from a ton of different players with personal input from experience. If a person can draw a little bit from each one that you can relate to, you may be able to cut out some trial and error.

Keep the info coming, it is priceless to a guy searching for that next perfect wand.

LaMont in AZ

• Like 2

After doing a putter fitting and trying many different brands. I don’t know about swing weight but a head weight 340-345 works best for me. Heavier causes distance control issues for me and I don’t feel like I make a smooth swing. Putter length of 33.5” with that head weight and ping man grip.... I’m happy.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

> @03trdblack said:

> Just as a comparison, Guerin Rife of Evnroll (formerly Rife) thinks D7 is the "sweetspot" for putter swingweight and increases the weight of the heads of his putters as they get shorter so they all measure D7 regardless of length.

Thought I would update this old thread since Guerin seems to have gone heavier in his newer stuff. At 35 inches the new 1.2 is D9, and the mallets are E4. Even the 33" and 34" in the mallets are E1.

> @nova6868 said:

> > @03trdblack said:

> > Just as a comparison, Guerin Rife of Evnroll (formerly Rife) thinks D7 is the "sweetspot" for putter swingweight and increases the weight of the heads of his putters as they get shorter so they all measure D7 regardless of length.

>

> Thought I would update this old thread since Guerin seems to have gone heavier in his newer stuff. At 35 inches the new 1.2 is D9, and the mallets are E4. Even the 33" and 34" in the mallets are E1.

>

>

Is this extra weight to allow for those new Gravity Grips since they are so heavy at 120 grams?

> @03trdblack said:

> > @nova6868 said:

> > > @03trdblack said:

> > > Just as a comparison, Guerin Rife of Evnroll (formerly Rife) thinks D7 is the "sweetspot" for putter swingweight and increases the weight of the heads of his putters as they get shorter so they all measure D7 regardless of length.

> >

> > Thought I would update this old thread since Guerin seems to have gone heavier in his newer stuff. At 35 inches the new 1.2 is D9, and the mallets are E4. Even the 33" and 34" in the mallets are E1.

> >

> >

>

> Is this extra weight to allow for those new Gravity Grips since they are so heavy at 120 grams?

I'm not sure, I was just listing the advertised swing weights from their website.

Another interesting list is the recent *** test - the tested putters measured all over the place, everything from C4 to F9.

• 2 months later...

Can't keep track or all Rory's putters, might be E5 now.......

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89