2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon Lodging Thread

Edaw68

All- I thought I would try a thread devoted to picking lodging for Bandon trips, where we can all put our experiences and suggestions for on and off property lodging. I figured this would be useful as "where should I stay" is a common question for people asking advice on Bandon planning, and it might be easier than hopping through dozens of threads. A lot of info is already there, but I thought a central spot might be nice. So without further ado...

My experience for lodging has been exclusively at the resort, I haven't stayed off property for any of my trips. I've stayed in the Lilly Pond cottages (twice), a Chrome Lake double, a golf single at the Lodge, and a forest king at the Inn. From my experience all were comfortable and furnishings are similar. Similar beds, chairs, tables, etc. The biggest difference was location (how convenient to other spots on the property), bed options (king, queen, 2 queens, 2 kings, etc) and amount of space (can be important depending how much crap you bring). When picking rooms on property I would use those as the criteria, not much difference otherwise. (I haven't stayed in any suites or at the Grove cottages) Prices for everything are posted on the resort website and easy to find.

Lily Pond: this was where I stayed my first couple trips. They are larger than other rooms as far as floor space, which is useful for spreading out. Two queen beds, and fairly convenient for location, but not the best. If you want to be a little bit away from the hustle and bustle of the Lodge and nearby stuff, these are pretty good. Not the closest but close enough, with a couple parking lots nearby that are easy to get to. These are good rooms to share with someone you are friends with but not good enough to share a bed. As far as I know they all have a fireplace, and a small deck. (the deck is small enough to not really be useful). Nice peaceful ponds behind to look at. I've been in both corner rooms and middle rooms. The corner rooms are slightly larger (or at least feel that way due to layout) and I like the bathroom setup better. These rooms have a separate room for the bathroom sink/vanity, which is nice. Out of all the places I've stayed, this was my favorite for the room itself.

Chrome Lake double: two king beds, other than that similar to the Lily pond layout. Not quite as much floor space. Has a fireplace with the TV above it. The back door opens out to forest and water, but it doesn't have a deck. The biggest problem with these is location. It's pretty far away from the courses and restaurants, but there is parking right by the cabin. This is relative as there is essentially nothing that is more than 5 minutes away by car or shuttle. The worst thing about this room I noticed is since it's tucked back in the trees, there was a tendency to track pine needles in. Housekeeping was efficient, but this was a minor annoyance. These would be good rooms if you're looking to save money, space isn't an issue, and you want to cram extra people in the room since there are 2 king beds. (hope you all get along!)

Lodge single: this was the smallest room, with just one queen bed, and the least amount of floor space of any rooms I've seen. Essentially just a small hotel room. When picking between the golf single or the dune single, I wouldn't sweat it as the windows aren't exactly set up for the view anyway. These rooms are obviously the best if it's just you and you want to save. I've stayed in one with my wife, and it was crowded for space. The biggest advantage of the lodge singles is convenience. Pretty much everything is right nearby. It's nice having multiple restaurants, the jacuzzi, breakfast, everything only a few steps away. The NE/NW rooms are a bit roomier but outfitted pretty much the same. (I've been in but haven't stayed in the NE/NW rooms. Next years trip.) These rooms aren't setup with a separate room for the sinks/vanity, it's right as you walk in the door. Fine if you're by yourself, but if you're sharing the room it can annoy your partner/spouse/smismar.

Inn forest king: one king bed, but quite a bit of floor space, basically a large hotel room. Roughly the same layout as the lodge (sink/vanity as you walk in) just bigger. Again regarding views from the windows, I wouldn't sweat getting a golf view versus a forest view unless you really want it. I liked this room for comfort, and the bar downstairs is nice. Parking isn't bad, and it's super close to Bandon Trails/Preserve/Trails End restaurant. Not as convenient to everything else as the lodge, but again it's relative. Having a car or using the shuttle makes everything 5 minutes away, and there is a walking path to the Lodge/Mckees/Bandon Dunes, about a medium length par 3.

That's all the ones I've tried. I hope anyone with experience with other rooms, rentals off property, or anything to add to these options will chime in. Thanks.

I've stayed in everything at the resort over the years, but as an Oregon resident, I much prefer to rent a house off property. Much cheaper and 10x better appointed. In the off season, there is no difference in rates as a hotel guest or resident.

We take 12 every year and rent a great house on the south end of town every presidents day weekend.

By far a much better way to do it as a small group.

I can’t contribute yet, because I’m a Bandon rookie going for the first time in October. We’ll be at Bandon for 3 days, but only staying in the property for two nights. We’re at an Airbnb in Bandon the night we arrive in Bandon, two nights at resort, and then staying at an Airbnb in Florence after our last round. The choice to stay in Florence the final night is to shorten to drive the Portland the following day, as that’s where are flights arrive/depart from.

It may see a bit unnecessary to do so much jumping around when you’re on your dream golf trip...but staying off property two nights is saving about $250-300 a person. Plus, Bandon let’s you schedule in advance and pay the reduced greens fees on days of check in/check out, so this plan didn’t sacrifice our golfing options.

I’ll report back on what I find in terms of offsite lodging, and if this plan (e.g. gambling with Airbnb) really ended up being worth it.

Excellent thread!

I've stayed in the Lodge and the Inn, and this year was my first time coming down a day early and staying at a place in town. This year was also the first that I went as anything other than a single, so most of my impressions are from that perspective.

I always try to book a NE/NW room, as they have the most space for all the crap I bring. I like the (very) small deck/terrace, as it's a nice place to have a nightcap if the weather allows. I've also stayed in a Dune Single and a Golf Single, and would agree with Edaw that there's not much difference. Staying in the Lodge is a priority for me, as access to the jacuzzi/sauna is a short elevator ride from my room, plus having the restaraunts and first tee for BD right there makes it very convenient. I also just like the vibe in the Lodge.

When I stayed at the Inn in a King Single, I felt a bit more removed from the hubbub, which can be a good thing. The walk over to the Lodge for breakfast is a pleasant one, if it's not raining. Proximity to BT and the Preserve is nice, and the short hike up the hill to the BT clubhouse is a good way to get the blood moving before the round.

We stayed at the Inn at Old Town this year prior to the nights in the Lodge ($60). It's a straight-up little motel, with few amenities and is perfectly adequate for a crash pad so I don't have to make a 2+ hour drive from Eugene or 5 hour drive from Portland before I get out for my first round. This also allows for a leisurely drive down midday, and I can spend a few hours at the Practice Center/Shortys/Preserve as I like. It did feel a little strange this year when I got done at the Practice Center and went somewhere other than the Lodge. Another disadvantage of this, especially if you bring a ton of stuff, is that you have to load/unload an extra time. Some smarter packing would have helped this issue, but I it's something to consider. For me, it was worth the trouble.

My only complaint about this motel is it is literally 30 feet from Hwy 101, and the noise can be an issue if you are a light sleeper. I think I will continue to come down and stay at a local motel, but find another one located a bit farther from the highway. I'm hoping to get some rec's from other posts in this thread.

One related thing that I discovered this trip was Bandon Town rolls up the sidewalks early in the off-season. When my brother and I finished at the Practice Center and got checked in to the motel, it was around 7PM, on a Saturday night, and there were few choices for dinner in town, other than the pubs. We ended up at Edgewaters, which was pretty good, if not a bit on the spendy side. If you are staying a night in town, check out the dining options and hours before you go. It may be best to just eat dinner at the resort.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Great idea for a thread, OP. I'll be following with interest (currently planning a trip).

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I've only stayed off-site, so take I can't speak to the specific lodging choices at the resort.

That said, I love staying in a house in town. We've done it twice and having more room, a kitchen, tons of private outdoor space and a little more freedom is the way to go for me. Now being an Oregon resident means I get the resort rate without staying on site, so thats a big caveat. It also means I can bring my crab pot and burner with me and boil up a mess of dungeness crab after 36 holes on a deck overlooking the Pacific. Hard to beat that

I've only stayed off-site, so take I can't speak to the specific lodging choices at the resort.

That said, I love staying in a house in town. We've done it twice and having more room, a kitchen, tons of private outdoor space and a little more freedom is the way to go for me. Now being an Oregon resident means I get the resort rate without staying on site, so thats a big caveat. It also means I can bring my crab pot and burner with me and boil up a mess of dungeness crab after 36 holes on a deck overlooking the Pacific. Hard to beat that

Which house do you stay at and how many are with you?

We love The Bandon House. The owner is a peach and the house is amazing. Perfect for a golf trip.

The lodge is great for the all around convenience, you'll never drive anywhere.

The Cottage grove have good size common space for everyone to hangout, but nothing quite beats a house hanging out with everyone.

And I'll keep plugging :wave:

The Bandon Manor layout is fantastic, right off 101, few mins from the course and more importantly, allows you to book tee times more than 21 days in advanced.

Everybody relax, I’m here

Which house do you stay at and how many are with you?

We love The Bandon House. The owner is a peach and the house is amazing. Perfect for a golf trip.

Two different places in town through AirBNB. We were four so both were fairly small, two-bedroom places.

Yes, excellent thread.

I have not yet been to Bandon but i did look into the cost differential of staying at or off the resort pretty closely a few years ago. One of my buddies, also an avid golfer, has a pretty nice RV.

I no longer have my notes and calculations, but I remember my overall conclusion: skip the RV and just stay at the resort.

Among other things, the way i remember it, Mike Kaiser and Co are pretty shrewd and reasonable guys; they price everything just about right; no real economies to be had for the hassle of staying off property during your golf trip.

As this thread has already highlighted, the night before your trip and the night after your last round of golf offer other interesting options.

I typically go solo and have stayed in both the lodge and inn; both are good for a single. The lodge is more convenient while the inn is quieter and more roomy. However, I hope I am only in the room while sleeping for the most part. For my trip in five weeks I am staying in a lodge dune single which I am happy with given my affinity for finishing the Bandon Dunes course at twilight. I stay off property following my last round of the trip and typically opt for the Best Western in either Bandon or Florence, both of which are nice and I can usually get with credit card points. Have also stayed in both Coos Bay and Eugene on departure but vastly prefer the Bandon best western.

The Cottage grove have good size common space for everyone to hangout, but nothing quite beats a house hanging out with everyone.

The Bandon Manor layout is fantastic, right off 101, few mins from the course and more importantly, allows you to book tee times more than 21 days in advanced.

I just googled the place and it looks amazing. Thats great that you can book more than 21 days out- do you know if they also receive resort guest rates?

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I just googled the place and it looks amazing. Thats great that you can book more than 21 days out- do you know if they also receive resort guest rates?

Let me ask

We were in the Chrome Lake Lofts. Absolutely no complaints!

Our last night we swapped into the Chrome Lake double and really missed the extra room, large TV in the community area, wine fridge, stand-alone fridge, complete double baths.

You literally call for a shuttle and are headed out within a few minutes. If you drive, there was no downside for us.

I cant speak for the cottages etc but the Lodge is a brilliant place to stay. Close to everything, and only a short stagger from McKee's. The restaurant and bar right there, the shuttle on the doorstep, the main pro shop, the bunker bar downstairs. I mean who would want to jump on a shuttle at midnight half-cut. Sure the room is not big but you are not there to inspect the decor. You have the putting green outside and the Bandon Dunes first tee. Not hugely expensive. Recommended.

Stayed in Lily Pond this past July. We knew going in we were paying top dollar for everything, but we did have perfect weather so for a first trip alright with it. As for the actual accommodations, was quite disappointed in what you got for the price. I was not expecting the Ritz, but the rooms felt tired. You are only in the rooms to sleep and shower, so didn't ruin the trip, but I was expecting something better. Will definitely look into off property next time.

Who has stayed at the Grove Cottages and can give me a review/summary of what they liked and didn't like? How much common area is there?

The Cottage Grove across from the Chrome Lake/Lofts have a much bigger common area than the one in the Lodge (Or Inn).

We had a 16 person shrimp boil in the common area and back patio area.

No real negatives other than only two spots for parking. Which sometimes Grove over might park in and cost

• 2 weeks later...

Lily Pond rooms have refrigerators, as do the Chrome Lofts and the Inn rooms. I know that Chrome doubles have an ice machine, not sure about an actual refrigerator though. They are small fridges, kind of like the old dorm style, but maybe a bit bigger.

I also know that regardless of what room you have, they will deliver a refrigerator if you do not have one.

• 8 months later...

I think every room or set of rooms has a mini-fridge. I can’t recall seeing adjoining rooms.

Most I know just buy beer on course and bring a little beer but don’t bring it to the course. I believe that is VERY frowned upon there. Flasks are the delivery vessel of choice with a good scotch/whiskey/bourbon and a little fireball thrown in for warmth.

Another option that I chose on my first trip out this past August was staying at Sunset Oceanfront Lodging. As much as I wanted to stay on site, this was actually really, really fun for a few reasons.

Rooms are very old-school, almost cabin like which I enjoyed. Price-point was well over half the price of what a room on site would have been. Drive time to the course was right around 10-12 minutes.

Coolest part for me what right down the steps just 100 feet outside of the hotel is the Pacific. Beach area with some really cool sights made the trip even a bit more memorable for me on top of just being at Bandon itself. I think it'd be hard for me to go anywhere else the next time I can make it out there.

I've heard a lot about the driers in the room for your gear and/or shoes, what are these things? I've seen people just rave about them!

Just a plug in shoe drier, the type with little prongs to put your shoes on to blow warm air inside it. Also works well for headcovers, gloves, hats, etc. 4 prongs so 4 items can dry at the same time. Even absolutely soaked shoes are dry in a couple hours. As far as I know there's one in every room on site.

One reason I prefer the lily Pond rooms. Turn on the fire place, take your clubs out of the bag, place bag and clubs including gloves in front of fire place and head to dinner. Come back and turn the bag around, put clubs away and everything is dry in 2-3 hours

I second this, fireplaces are a nice feature. We also had a fan in our room that I’d use to air out my base layers.