TaylorMade...King of Backorders

DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ✭✭
Was just going to put in an order for a bunch of TM equipment through their online process. The P750 4 Iron, P730 irons, and Hi Toe are all backordered until June! For those keeping track, it’s still MARCH. The only thing available immediately are the MG wedges.

How is it possible to mismanage inventory that poorly heading into a limited season sport as a manufacturer? Insane.

Comments

• TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,712 ✭✭
    Some things don’t change...
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,169 ✭✭
    Or maybe sales are above projections?
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Perhaps demand exceeded their expectations? Perhaps too they didn’t want to be saddled with excess inventory so they kept supply down.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    When you pack that much distance into every club, the raw materials are hard to come by..

I agree with Sean, in my speculation. TM's financials haven't been promising, so a good way to turn some of that around would be to not have a ton of excess inventory.

I am a bit surprised on the the P730's being so far back ordered.. It's not like their the ones that are being ordered by the every day golfer, so I can't assume that the demand would be that hard to meet.. but on that same token, they probably haven't produced a ton of these heads in the first place.

In other instances of back orders, it also comes down to the availability of the stock offered components. Are these dates pushed this far back on "custom orders" or are they all orders, all together? If it's a custom order, I'm too impatient to wait 3 months to have an OEM screw up the lie adjustments in general.

I get the drivers being backordered, but Tiger isn't even playing those irons, so what gives?
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,696 ✭✭
    all i know is - through a few indoor demo days i've witnessed - TM stuff is FLYING out the door.

the NJ golf show at the Garden State Expo Center was sold out of M3/M4 drivers by sunday.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5" OR EXO OWorks Limited 2Ball / 35.5"

• BearQBearQ Members Posts: 3,506 ✭✭
    Most golf seasons are two months from being over in June...

Is TM site backordered or will you experience this backlog doing custom orders for TM through retailers too
    Cobra LTD Pro 9.5* - Matrix Type C 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W or 3HL - Matrix Black Tie 80M4-X
    TM TP UDI #3 (20*) - Matrix Black Tie HM4 105X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 35" - ping blackout

• pompjrpompjr Members Posts: 616 ✭✭
    Taylormade is replacing a broken driver shaft.. they have nothing in stock. Every no upcharge Shaft that I asked about is backordered... the earliest i can get something shipped is mid-late April...
  • nochct1nochct1 Members Posts: 3,379 ✭✭
    We'll continue to see more of them from OEMs. Big box stores probably aren't stocking as much. Pro shops definitely aren't stocking as much. Doesn't make a lot of sense to produce a lot of product to just have it sit there.
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 424 ✭✭
    Either way, if they underestimated demand or failed to stock their inventory for prime ordering season, it's a huge mismanagement problem. Any time I place an order, if it's going to take more than a couple of weeks, I will just move on to my 2nd choice. Life's too short to wait for something that may not offer a distinct advantage of 2nd place.
  • tssgj65tssgj65 Members Posts: 60
    I received my Hi Toe this past Friday custom shaft and all......
  • DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ✭✭
    jjfcpa wrote:

Either way, if they underestimated demand or failed to stock their inventory for prime ordering season, it's a huge mismanagement problem. Any time I place an order, if it's going to take more than a couple of weeks, I will just move on to my 2nd choice. Life's too short to wait for something that may not offer a distinct advantage of 2nd place.

I agree! In this case it’s easy...half the golf season is done in June!
  • falken19150falken19150 Members Posts: 1,756 ✭✭
    Welcome to the private equity world......don’t pay people and never have inventory on the books.
  • Downtown_Brown_41Downtown_Brown_41 AlabamaMembers Posts: 617 ✭✭
    My irons were back ordered due to a bad batch of shafts so not much TM can do but I feel your pain
    M3 8.5* Fuji Pro TS 63 / Kiyoshi White 75
    Nike VR Pro Ltd 15* Fuji Saphire 
    P790 3 Aldila RIP 105
    P7TW 4-P X100
    TP EF 52° S400
    Hi Toe 56° X100
    Vokey Low Bounce K 60° Hi Rev 2.0
    Piretti Cortino- 36” 
    Tour Bx / TP5X

• bnp144bnp144 Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I believe the backup has to do with the custom side. I ordered a combo set of 790/750s and if they were stock options they could go out right away. Since I changed the shafts and the lie on the 750's it caused them to be backordered for a few weeks. I was told it was just the custom side.
    bnp144 wrote:

I believe the backup has to do with the custom side. I ordered a combo set of 790/750s and if they were stock options they could go out right away. Since I changed the shafts and the lie on the 750's it caused them to be backordered for a few weeks. I was told it was just the custom side.

For giggles I’ll run it with some different options tonight and see what it does.
  • RodCRodC Members Posts: 358 ✭✭
    Remember that Adidas sold TM recently. Maybe they were cautious on their projections.
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • bnp144bnp144 Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    DRRicks wrote:

bnp144 wrote:

For giggles I'll run it with some different options tonight and see what it does.

I know that was as of last week. I spoke with them about having my set shipped out earlier for a upcoming golf trip. I was told if I went with a stock set w/ shafts and grips then it wouldn't be an issue but I went with $-Tapers and non-oem grips. Mine was only delayed 2 weeks though. Should have by mid-April.
  • Smitty120Smitty120 MDMembers Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Like most things in life, "knowing" people seems to change any back order status. image/smilie_tm.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smilie_tm:' />

Epic Flash SZ Triple - Tensei Pro White 70TX

EF SZ 15* - Tensei Pro White 80TX

18' UT  21* - ADDI 95X

19' Apex Pro DOT 4-PW - X-100

MD4 RAW 52, 58 - S-400

Toulon Garage Atlanta Stroke Lab

19' TP5

• monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 703 ✭✭
    Crazy - going thru same issue with Srixon.

Ever see a car factory tour? They can get a car thru the entire assembly line is such a short amount of time (for such a complex set of materials / processes).

I find it crazy that the golf industry can't work this crap out and have a shorter gap between order placement and fulfillment...while maintaining very low inventory.

Make to order would be great for the industry if they can shorten timelines.

A head, a shaft, a grip, a ferrule...I don't get it. (but I am not in the business, so what do I know)
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,712 ✭✭
    Just built a custom Hi-Toe wedge and it gave me a shipping date of 5/13.

Just built a custom Hi-Toe wedge and it gave me a shipping date of 5/13.

Better...but still a month and half...on a new release!
  • JohnKHawkJohnKHawk Members Posts: 744 ✭✭
    May actually be one the few times being a lefty might actually help someone out. If they actually make the club in left hand (and with TM it's a guessing game if they will make a certain club in left hand) they are usually slower to empty inventory.
  • bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 601 ✭✭
    Ordered a P790 AW to match my irons. Ordered on 1/08/18 and just got it today. It was 1 degree up, plus .25" and hardstepped once.
    TM M4 w/ UST V2
    Epic 3
    Wishon 949 5 wood Oban Devotion
    Srixon U85 5-6 and 785 7-PW
    Odyssey O Works #7 Putter
    TM Milled Grid Wedges
  • Tag56Tag56 Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Maybe they are running low on speed foam. #1 backorder in golf.
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5* Project X HZRDUS Smoke 6.[font=times new roman,times,serif]5 X[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]3-wood: Taylormade 2016 M2 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]2-hybrid: Titleist 913H 17* set to 18.75. Project x 6.5.[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4, 718 MB 5-pw. DG X100[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Wedges: Titleist SM7 52*, 56*, and 60*.[/font] KBS tour 120
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey. [/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Ball: Titleist ProV1X[/font]
    [/font]
  • Mr.FujiMr.Fuji Connection Members Posts: 637 ✭✭
    Fits with their marketing strategy “15 weeks longer”
    Ping G400 Max PX HC Yellow
    Ping SF Tech 16*
    Titleist 816H1 21*
    Titleist 913H 24*
    Callaway CF16/Pro Combos 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
    Spider X Copper
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,200 ✭✭
    I think golf is moving to a "booking" inventory model

Don't load up in advance as they all used to do

Wait and see what orders roll in over the winter and build inventory from there ...... with a 60 day lead time out of China of course

Pretty straightforward really
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway x2hot 14.5* 3 Deep Oban Gold 65s
    Callaway x2hot 18.5* 5 Deep Oban Purple 55x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprint 6i DG xp115 x100
    Ping Blueprint 7-PW DG s400 orange dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • randy4randy4 LouisianaMembers Posts: 123 ✭✭
    That is pretty rediculous, pretty much anything I've ordered from titleist shipped in less than a week.
    M5 10.5* fujikura pro 2.0
    M6 15* Tensei pro white
    718Ap2 3-AW KBS Tour V
    Titleist SM7 56S 60M KBS Tour V
    Spider X
  • ago33ago33 Members Posts: 2,169 ✭✭
    randy4 wrote:

That is pretty rediculous, pretty much anything I've ordered from titleist shipped in less than a week.

That’s because Titleist doesn’t change anything so they can properly forecast
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
    Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
    Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
    Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
    Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
    Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master
  • danielryanwdanielryanw Members Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited Mar 27, 2018 #30
    I’d bet it was a mix of things. It probably has a lot to do with when they were in the midst of being bought. Investors/potential buyers/etc take a lot of things into consideration. It looks like most of it has to do with custom components. With the changing of hands they were probably on a much tighter forecast operationally. The success of all their lines was probably much greater sooner, and tie that in with trying to keep as little inventory laying around on the shelves as possible while they were trying to be sold as a company

s*** happens.
    M3 8.5* | Synergy Black Proto 70tx
    M2 T3 13* DF | Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
    P790 2 UDI 17* | Tensei Pro White Hy 90tx
    '17 M1 20* hybrid | UST VTS Black 100hx
    Z745 4-PW | C-taper 125
    SM7 50*F 54*S 58*D | S400 TI Onyx
    Spider Tour Black
  • RobYakesRobYakes "You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen" Washington, D.C.Members, ClubWRX Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Ordered custom M4 Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, and 58* Hi-Toe on 3/02/18 and received the Hi-Toe and 5 Wood on 3/19. Driver and 3 Wood won't ship until April 9th. Considering the relative quick turnaround time, I guess there are some perks to being a lefty.
    M4 9.5* Speeder Evo II 661S // M4 15* HZRDUS Black 6.5 // M4 18* HZRDUS Red 6.5 // P790 Modus 120S // MILLED GRIND 50* & 54* Modus 115W // HI-TOE 60* Modus 115W // SPIDER X 34"