Heads in Cary On

scottleoscottleo Members Posts: 1,219 ✭✭
I am traveling to St. Augustine this Friday & I wanted to take heads off my woods and put in my carry on...anyone have any issues with security when doing this?
Rogue 10.5* GD IZ 6s
Rogue 17* GD IZ 7s
Titleist H1 21* & 25* GDHY 85s
Srixon 565/765 5-AW N.S. Pro Modus 105s
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M N.S.Pro Modus Wedge 115
Bettinardi Queen B6/B8
Taylormade TP5X

Comments

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,427 ✭✭
    scottleo wrote:

I am traveling to St. Augustine this Friday & I wanted to take heads off my woods and put in my carry on...anyone have any issues with security when doing this?
    can't see why not -- however, i'd actually suggest taking the heads off the clubs - putting them in the headcovers, then putting them in the side pocket of your bag.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* / DRIVER SHAFT TBD
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,556 ✭✭
    Second that, just take heads off, place in headcover and put in size pockets of golf bag.

Take your laser range finder (if you have one) in your carry on, I've heard of those coming up missing through Airline luggage.
  • abergervtabergervt Members Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Shouldn't be an issue with tsa
  • Craigstands17Craigstands17 This Isn't Where I Parked My Cart Members Posts: 239 ✭✭
    no issue i do it all the time never had a problem with TSA with them in my carry on.
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Talyormade M4 9.5* PX Handcrafted 6.5 Hzrdus T1100 75g[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Taylormade M4 3HL Aldila Rogue
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli Hi 3 & 4
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-7
    Mizuno MP-18 8-PW
    Vokey SM7 50* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* S Grind
    Scratch 58*[/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Black Copper Ardmore 3/[/font] Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless Mid Slant/ Bettinardi BB1

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Driver Shaft Testing:[/font]
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]UST Mamiya The ATTAS 7X[/font]
  • raholland71raholland71 Full cords, No gloves, Can't lose! Members Posts: 424 ✭✭
    Took them in my carry on on the way to Bandon 2 weeks ago. It was an incredible waste of space. On the way back, I just took them off and left them in the travel bag inside of the headcovers.
    WITB
    Titleist TS3 9.5*
    Titleist TS3 15*
    Titleist 818 H2 19*
    Miura CB57 4-6
    Miura MB001 7-PW
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
    Vokey V Grind 56*
    Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T
  • crazy8golfercrazy8golfer Unregistered Posts: 1,292
    scottleo wrote:

I did this last fall flying from Atlanta to Phoenix, didn't have any issues.
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    In your golf bag like the others say....unless they are PXG image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Clubs are fluid
  • rymail00rymail00 Members Posts: 6,704 ✭✭
    I work for an airline, and I'm planes all day long. I would definitely put the heads in a book bag with headcovers on them (it's what I do every time I take mine at least). I also wrapped bath towels around the iron heads and wood/hybrid shafts.

Those guys the on ramp throwing bags do not give 2 $h!ts about your bag or any bag for that matter. It's about moving them quick. I suppose you could put them in your bags side pockets but when throw bags they throw them on their sides. You can do what you want but I'd suggest throwing the heads in a book bag or carry on and wrapping a towel or two around the iron heads shafts without heads on them.
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    rymail00 wrote:

I work for an airline, and I'm planes all day long. I would definitely put the heads in a book bag with headcovers on them (it's what I do every time I take mine at least). I also wrapped bath towels around the iron heads and wood/hybrid shafts.

Those guys the on ramp throwing bags do not give 2 $h!ts about your bag or any bag for that matter. It's about moving them quick. I suppose you could put them in your bags side pockets but when throw bags they throw them on their sides. You can do what you want but I'd suggest throwing the heads in a book bag or carry on and wrapping a towel or two around the iron heads shafts without heads on them.

This is why I use a hard shell image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Clubs are fluid
  • rymail00rymail00 Members Posts: 6,704 ✭✭
    md1m wrote:

rymail00 wrote:

This is why I use a hard shell image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Whoops! I knew I forgot something. :-) Yes my post and experience is with soft sided travel bags only thus far.
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style
  • cwglumcwglum Members Posts: 1,556 ✭✭
    I travelled with a hard shell a few times, serious issues with whatever car you're being picked up in or renting (if anything other than a mini van). I finally had enough after basically shoe horning the case into a Honda Accord with all seats folded down and then wrestling it out of the car at the airport, thought I was going to need a crowbar to get it out. That was my final trip with the hardcase.

Also, since you can't lock luggage any longer, the latches can just pop right open if nudged the right way. My solution on a trip was to use black duct tape around the mid portion of the bag, but if TSA gets all hot and bothered they'll cut that right open and leave your case essentially open the rest of the trip.
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    scottleo wrote:

Yes - don't put them in your headcover and copiously wash the driver head -- any scent of fertilizer in your bag and they do a public cavity search - haven't had my balls rubbed like that in a long time...
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,094 ✭✭
    I've done it. No problems.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,670 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 29, 2018 #15
    I've never pulled the heads off. I just group the woods in the middle of the bag around and under the stiff arm. Knock on wood, I haven't any trouble so far.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • scottleoscottleo Members Posts: 1,219 ✭✭
    SwingMan wrote:

scottleo wrote:

Yes - don't put them in your headcover and copiously wash the driver head -- any scent of fertilizer in your bag and they do a public cavity search - haven't had my balls rubbed like that in a long time...

Nothing wrong with a little ball rubbing once in a while!
    Rogue 10.5* GD IZ 6s
    Rogue 17* GD IZ 7s
    Titleist H1 21* & 25* GDHY 85s
    Srixon 565/765 5-AW N.S. Pro Modus 105s
    Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M N.S.Pro Modus Wedge 115
    Bettinardi Queen B6/B8
    Taylormade TP5X
  • payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 726 ✭✭
    That’s how I always travel and I basically live in a plane. Should probably look into buying a couple spare sets
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • myspinonitmyspinonit Members Posts: 2,799 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2018 #18
    rymail00 wrote:

Thank you. There is less padding on the sides of a (soft) travel case than the top, at least in the two Sun Mountain Glider models I have.

I did take them off and in carry-on (no problems with security) one way on a recenbt trip then just left them on and well-padded as usual on the way back.

I agree about the comment in another post about cleaning clubs well to remove any possible fertilizer residue (a potential bomb flag to TSA.
    Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping G400 SFT 3 wood 16° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping Ping G 7 wood 20.5° Alta 65
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
    Vokey SM6 49.07F; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S (or 60.07S)  Steelfiber i80
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34”

• myspinonitmyspinonit Members Posts: 2,799 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2018 #19
    cwglum wrote:

Also, since you can't lock luggage any longer, the latches can just pop right open if nudged the right way. My solution on a trip was to use black duct tape around the mid portion of the bag, but if TSA gets all hot and bothered they'll cut that right open and leave your case essentially open the rest of the trip.

?? Is this just domestic US airline flights or a request of one specific carrier? I've done three trips to/from Canada to US in the last six or months ago (Maui, twice to Palm Springs) on a Canadian airline and I've always locked up my bags with TSA locks.

Also locked bags to and from Europe in the summer (no golf clubs) on KLM (Dutch Airline).

While I've had locks opened a couple of times before by TSA, and usually got a note inside notified this was done, no sign of that any of those trips. I was probably lucky but stuff wasn't messed about noticeably after they closed it up.
    Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping G400 SFT 3 wood 16° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
    Ping Ping G 7 wood 20.5° Alta 65
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
    Vokey SM6 49.07F; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S (or 60.07S)  Steelfiber i80
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34”

• jrsharp21jrsharp21 Members Posts: 1,650 ✭✭
    rymail00 wrote:

I do both of the above. I also bought one of those big foam egg crate looking things that go on top of a mattress, cut it to size that I can wrap it around my bag, and then throw that all in my travel bag. Provides some padding for when they do throw around your bag.