Looking for DIY help

donasdux

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just use a plastic paint tray...it’s super cheap and works well for me. It’s not the full roller size, but that would work too. Then it goes into a cheap solvent bottle via a funnel.

1w: TM '16 M2 10.5*@10.5* w/ Diamana BF 60 x-stiff

5w: Cobra SZ @17.5* w/ Tensei AV Blue 65 stiff

4h: Titleist 818h1 21*@21* w/ Tensei CK 70 Blue stiff

OR...Srixon U65 20* w/ Modus 120 stiff

irons: Titleist T200 5i-pw w/ KBS Tour-V stiff

OR...Srixon z765 4i-pw w/ Modus 120 stiff

wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 50*,54*,58* w/ TT Tour Issue S400

putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 4

I just use a plastic paint tray...it's super cheap and works well for me. It's not the full roller size, but that would work too. Then it goes into a cheap solvent bottle via a funnel.

How do you mount it to your bench/work table? That's the dilemma I'm having..........

I've tried a aluminum tray with someone else holding it, but that isn't always feasible.

I have a bench top vise that can swivel. I put the rubber protector on the shaft and then place the tray on my bench. The shaft is pointing at about 2:30 when simulating a clock from top. Seems just fine for me. Others might want a more dedicated setup...but this was essentially $5 for the rubber sleeve.

I’ll try to get a photo when I clean up the bench.

How much solvent are you using that you need a catch can and reuse it? I build a lot of clubs, and dont go thru even 1 can a year.

Look at blowing grips on with air, a little solvent goes a long way.

Solvent gets dirty, and why would you want to put that back under your grips....and how much is solvent anyways? Like the cost of a 6 pack of beer?

If your doing for friends, have them bring beer and solvent over!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

How much solvent are you using that you need a catch can and reuse it? I build a lot of clubs, and dont go thru even 1 can a year.

Look at blowing grips on with air, a little solvent goes a long way.

Solvent gets dirty, and why would you want to put that back under your grips....and how much is solvent anyways? Like the cost of a 6 pack of beer?

If your doing for friends, have them bring beer and solvent over!

Let's put it this way, the last time I bought solvent, Golfsmith was open down the street from me. I've been on the same quart for at least 8 years. So, I get your point. It was for more of keeping the mess at a minimum.

• 4 weeks later...

I used the tray in the basement without the vise/shaft clamp to remove a rattle in a club I bought (someone used too much epoxy and the little bit that entered the shaft ID must have broke off from swing flex/vibration). I think I got the black tray in a local “Rural King” store, but any home improvement store should probably have one. I think it’s for the little pain rollers for trim.

The bottle is a amazon special and has held up very well.

If you have the vice on the end of the work bench and the grips hanging out , then I agree with a used garbage can lined with plastic bag should work fine. Solvent use will make a mess regardless of how you do it. There be drip mark all over the bench and the floor..........

If any, you should have more solvent coming out of the vent hole more than the lip end. Wearing a rubber / plastic apron is more important than trying to catch the extra solvent.

Best solution is to get a small air compressor. Once you get used to it in a few try, you'll never look back.

Best solution is to get a small air compressor. Once you get used to it in a few try, you'll never look back.

Just curious, at what PSI level do you set the compressor? I tried using my 8 gallon compressor to remove grips once, blew it up like a balloon and then popped it like one. Not a fun experience. I'm guessing I had the pressure way too high for the process, but haven't gone back to try again.

Just curious, at what PSI level do you set the compressor? I tried using my 8 gallon compressor to remove grips once, blew it up like a balloon and then popped it like one. Not a fun experience. I'm guessing I had the pressure way too high for the process, but haven't gone back to try again.

When removing grips with air, a sleeve should be used around the grip to avoid air balloons. I use a piece of pvc pipe. I have my compressor set to about 60 psi.

Love to regrip my own (and friends) grips for them, so I went and bought a vice a few years back. Does anyone have a DIY project to catch and reuse the solvent? I really don't want to spend the money on an actual regripping station as I'm not a pro or doing it for profit. Any help would be appreciated.

Paint roller pan, funnel, paint filter. Catch the excess and pour back into container using the funnel and filter.

It's not the pressure setting. It's the technique of how to inflate the grip. Even with the air pressure set at a higher point, use busts of air instead of a long steady steam of inflation. The purpose is to get the air between the grip and the shaft. Takes a few practice ,not a very difficult task to learn.

Most importantly, if the grip was installed with double sided grip tape, it's not just blowing it off the shaft. First, you'll need to have a safety tube to prevent the grip from blowing up at the loose spot like a balloon. A safety tube could be anything made of none expandable material. The best one would be a hard plastic tube, similar to the tubes they sell at the golf chop to separate individual golf club from the 80's. Or you could get a section of hard rubber tube from hardware store. Cur a section long enough to cover the grip and whether you slit open a 3" section at one end or not is up to you ( to be able to grip tight on the grip to twist it while adding air ). If in a jam, the hard cardboard section you find in the center of the Saran Wrap will do ( the heavy duty kind not the one you could compress with your fingers ). Expend the grip inside the hard cover and twist it to loosen the tape. let the air escape if not going any where then try it again by changing the angle of the tube. When the air goes through the grip at the other end, you'll hear a "pop" and sometimes still need to keep the tube on to twist the grip to free up the grip from the tape.

A little solvent into the vent hole will also help. I use H2O in the warmer temperature. The double wall construction of the Winn grip is very difficult to save. Most of the multi material grip will also be PITA to save but I'd done it many time with high percentage of saving the grips from double sided grip tape.

It's like riding bicycle, once you get it going it's a piece a cake.

FWIW, I set the 6 gallon air tank at 120 psi because I like the air on demand. Especially trying to remove grip installed with grip tape in the first place; weak pressure will not do the job. No issue if I use small busts of air. Backed off when the air starts to cause ballooning and start over again.

I've learned to also blow the grips on and simply wet the insides of the grip with water and blow it on. Works for me but I use new grips and almost exclusively cheap from China or some other cheap place. They seem to be slightly short of American standards, but can be stretched on the shaft if that bothers you. The new grips stick like crazy once you put them on.

As for blowing them off, I don't. I cut them off with a paper knife. New grips for me seem so cheap and old grips seem so used up they are not worth putting back on. Besides, Once grips have been on for a while, they end up a little bit larger diameter, so before mounting old grips you need to add at least one layer of tape. You end up with very slightly larger diameter grips. The alternative is to buy a disposable hypo and inject some solvent on and jolly the old grips off or at least loose enough to blow them off and that is also more trouble than I want to go through. I cut old grips off. If I were in the States I would probably use cheap American grips, but I am very far away so I use whats near.

My solvent, usually Kerosene, I use to wet a rag to clean the grips after they have been mounted. Seems to soften them a bit and I like that feel. Also pretty good for simply cleaning the shafts and heads and Kerosene takes a while to light up so it seems safe enough.

Shambles

First, you'll need to have a safety tube to prevent the grip from blowing up at the loose spot like a balloon. A safety tube could be anything made of none expandable material.

This is what I was missing. I've got a ton of PVC laying around that will do the job just fine. Thanks.

When removing grips with air, a sleeve should be used around the grip to avoid air balloons. I use a piece of pvc pipe. I have my compressor set to about 60 psi.

Thanks, that's just what I was missing.