Coldest Temperature youve played in?

nealkbnealkb Members Posts: 252
It was an interesting weekend in Chicagoland. Played an 18 on Saturday was 50* F, with almost 20mph winds.

Sunday tho, it was 29*F, no wind, and somehow played through 18 holes.

Whats the coldest you guys have played in?

Best,

Neal
White R1 Graffaloy Bimatrix Pink Stiff
XHOT Pro 3W
XHOT Pro 3h XHOT (4-5H)
6-A XHot w SpeedStep 85 Stiff
MP-4 54 +58, SM-4 64
Scotty

Comments

• canthitathreewoodcanthitathreewood Posts: 214 ✭✭
    Wow! 29 is cold. I have played when temps were around 32F but it was sunny and the wind was calm.

Playing on frozen ground is a fun challenge. Having to account for 15-20yds of bounce makes you think your way around the course a little differently.
    Play Hard!
  • dapherdoo2dapherdoo2 Members Posts: 72
    19* New Year’s day several years ago with the wind blowing. Cart cover and two heaters going. Couldn’t get a tee in the ground but it was an executive course so no big deal. Libations definitely helped!
  • andrueandrue Posts: 1,120 ✭✭
    edited Apr 3, 2018 #4
    -2C. Freezing fog. By the time we got round to the turn we agreed to give it up and never talk about it ever again.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • 13wes1313wes13 Posts: 225
    -6*. Or 21*.

My buddy brings a drill to drill holes for the tees 👍
  • Razorback84Razorback84 Member Posts: 110
    Around 35*. But I prefer to play above 50 degrees and sunny.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue 9.0°- Project X Even Flow Blue 65 S [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 3 Wood- Alta CB 65 S [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 5 Wood- Tensei Blue S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 23° hybrid- Tensei Red S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist 718 AP2 (5-PW)- Nippon Modus 3 120 S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD4 50* S Grind KBS C Taper LITE S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD4 54* W Grind KBS C Taper LITE S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD4 58* C Grind KBS C Taper LITE S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bettinardi[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] BB1 Armageddon [/font]
  • msena88msena88 Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    28-30* and windy...Coldest feeling day I've ever played though was at a course on the water near where I live, temp was close to 40* but winds were howling a steady 25 mph with gusts up to 40.

Under armour base layer and hand warmers in the pockets, makes it manageable
  • Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,266 ✭✭
    29 at the start.. Some of the days it would climb above freezing, sometimes not.. I actually enjoy playing in the colder weather..
  • double_ddouble_d Members Posts: 319 ✭✭
    nealkb wrote:

It was an interesting weekend in Chicagoland. Played an 18 on Saturday was 50* F, with almost 20mph winds.

Sunday tho, it was 29*F, no wind, and somehow played through 18 holes.

Whats the coldest you guys have played in?

Best,

Neal

Probably about 40*F. Man you guys are hardcore.
  • pearsonifiedpearsonified Extreme enthusiast Members Posts: 1,791 ✭✭
    31º with light flurries.

Started in a "covered" cart (plastic all the way around), but froze on the front 9. Every thin shot was a disaster that took literally minutes for my hands to recover from.

Ditched the cart on the back and walked the rest of the way. Finally warmed up a bit and actually played ok!
    Callaway Rogue 9.5º •• Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
    TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65x
    Callaway Apex 20º •• Project X EvenFlow Black Hybrid 6.5
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 (22º) •• Paderson IMRT KG95-IRT30
    Adams CMB 5-P (27º-46º) •• DG TI S400
    TM MG 50º/9º •• Project X LZ 5.5
    TM MG 54º/11º •• DG Wedge
    TM ATV Grind Tour Spin 60º •• KBS 105 Wedge
    Odyssey Versa 330M BWB 34"

For sale:
    Tour-only Cleveland 588 CB 4-P with PX 6.5

2018 Tournament Index: 2.56 (see results)
    2018 Tournament Anti: 7.76

Current anti-handicap: 4.7
  • msena88msena88 Members Posts: 141 ✭✭

31º with light flurries.

Started in a "covered" cart (plastic all the way around), but froze on the front 9. Every thin shot was a disaster that took literally minutes for my hands to recover from.

Ditched the cart on the back and walked the rest of the way. Finally warmed up a bit and actually played ok!

Seems counterintuitive at first, but walking is easily the way to go in cold weather. Takes a couple holes to get loose and warm up but if you're playing at a good pace and pretty much in constant motion you stay very warm.
  • You lot are all bonkers crazy. I suppose you gotta make do. Drill holes for tees? Funny but I'll pass thanks.

7 Celsius would probably be the lowest.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,201 ✭✭
    I've teed off when it was 0-1C , i typically will play late into the season, but my usual barometer is i need it to be like 4-5C for most of the round.

Worst round i've played in, i typically consider my "best" round ever as it happens. Played in 2-3C weather in the snow and shot a 71. Was brutal but for whatever reason i couldn't miss
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Posts: 539 ✭✭
    I've teed off with temperatures in the teens (Fahrenheit and before wind chill). It beats fishing in that weather. And our state lands are closed to hunting on Sundays. After spending all week in an office, it's just nice to get outside

• llamontllamont Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    edited Apr 4, 2018 #15
    College spring warmup (pun intended) tourney in March 2002 in central Ohio. Temp fluctuated b/t 30*-37*F with light flurries early on...
    I love golf
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,424 ClubWRX
    In my youth (mid 20s) I was known to play when it was near freezing (32 F) and with snow flurries falling. Now I am a fair weather golfer. If the weather isn't fair then I am not playing. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • keadskeads Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Play quite a bit of snow golf, light snow of course. I enjoy playing the elements honestly, course is WIDE open and it makes the game way easier come spring and summer and conditions are perfect. Good mental strength sharpening in my opinion.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,241 ClubWRX
    23F but sunny and no wind. Walking it was rather pleasant.
  • jli2636jli2636 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    It’s 34 here right now and I’m contemplating going out and playing... before this 45-50 is probably about where it needs to be for me to go out.
  • Played 9 holes this morning, wind chill was 30*, cloudy with light wind. My rule is usually only play if over 40*, but I wanted to hit my M3 driver that came in.
    D/3W/H: Taylormade M2 2016
    4I-AW: Taylormade P770
    GW/LW: Taylormade EF
    P: Seemore FGP Mallet
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
  • rsd1244rsd1244 Members Posts: 82
    I have played in the 30’s quite a bit.
  • Vintage1976Vintage1976 I think something was lost in transition Members Posts: 2,681 ✭✭
    edited Apr 8, 2018 #22
    Never played much below freezing, but up here if it's below freezing there is probably too much snow to play. Also, it's snowing right now image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    909D3 9.5*  //  VSProto
    906F4 13.5*  //  AttasT3
    913F 16*  //  NV2KXVBlue
    A12Pro 18*  //  AltusWhite (undecided)
    DCI762 4-9  //  DVS\DynamicGold (undecided)
    FGTourTC 50*56*  //   DGSpinner
    SlotLine SS385

"Until you make the subconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate."
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,935 ✭✭
    edited Apr 8, 2018 #23
    Real feel probably 23 degrees, temps 27-30 degrees. Played today temps started in the mid 30's with 9-12mph breeze. You need to be very sensible about your layers, body and limitations when it's this chilly. Today we played 27 but I bowed out after 23 because I could feel my back tightening up. Not worth a year long imjury. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • lebanontngolferlebanontngolfer short and to the left ClubWRX Posts: 3,060 ✭✭
    Several times in the low teens and high temps didn't get above 20-25F. Played in light snow on a few occasions which makes for a very peaceful walk if the wind is not blowing. Driving rain is ok as long as no lightning, but when the temps drop or wind picks up, it makes for a miserable day.
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Been playing quite a bit in the 30s. The courses I play won't open if it's frozen, or thawed surface but frozen underneath. When walking I don't really notice the cold, but I suppose it would be a different story another 10 degrees colder.
  • kstateskierkstateskier Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Not sure it was my absolute coldest, but last night was pretty **** cold and miserable. 49 at first tee. 39 by the 18th hole and I was shivering.

On top of that I completely lost control of my swing which coupled with the cold made it one of the most miserable rounds of golf I can remember.
    Whats in my bag:
    2016 Cobra Fly Z+ driver, graphite shaft
    2016 Cobra Fly Z 3 wood, graphite shaft
    Adams Tight Lies, 5 fairway wood, steel shaft
    Fly Z irons, 5-GW, +3 upright, 1/2" short, graphite shafts
    Vokey wedges M grind, 50', 56' 60'
    Omen Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
    Srixon Soft white pure white golf ball or Calloway Super Soft

• dhartmann34dhartmann34 Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Around 25*...many, many times. As long as the wind is low, sun is out, you have solid base layers, and you're walking, it's bearable.
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy SoDakClubWRX Posts: 1,438 ClubWRX
    Around 30* F, had to stop for heavy flurries, but was able to continue after short delay.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 720 ✭✭
    My wife just got me a battery-powered electric vest for my birthday, so I'll be ready for next winter.
  • sailfishchrissailfishchris Members Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Sunday had 7:40 tee delayed an hour for frost. It was 29* F -breezy. Warmed up to 40* by time I finished at noon
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM5 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Cameron Newport 1.5
    TP5X/ProV1X
    Jones Player 003/ Jones Utility Trouper
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭

Around 25*...many, many times. As long as the wind is low, sun is out, you have solid base layers, and you're walking, it's bearable.

Username & location...you wouldn't happen to be related to the Chicago Blackhawks' charmer, Ryan Hartman, eh?