2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Adams CB3 irons, how are they? How do they perform?

AbSWFPGA

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are good Irons, a little thicker top line than the CB2, the same sole grind, pretty much.

I was playing them with steelfiber 110s for the past couple of years.

The finish is not as dark as the CB2, but holds up much better.

I have a set of each in the garage, and could easily play either with the right shaft for me.

I do tend to like the CB2 a little better, but honestly really love them both.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I still have a set. Had to swap out the stock kbs 90 shafts as I snapped the 8i and pw just above the hosel. Adams made me whole no questions asked. Put in a combo of dynalte xp gold in the long irons and TT Lite XL shafts in shorter irons. I am a 14 hccper and find them forgiving. Iron play is probably weakest part of game (along with putting). :stink:

Love the feel of the face when you nut one.

15 hcp

Great irons and very forgiving, played them for a while before giving them to my son. Who has been playing them now for 3 years and loves them. Had the KBS Tours in them.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 Red w/White Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I have a set of each in the garage, and could easily play either with the right shaft for me.

I do tend to like the CB2 a little better, but honestly really love them both.

I too have a set of each, CB2 and CB3. I'm not quite sure which I prefer, as I don't play either regularly, and I haven't really played them in a while. I lean towards a bit more forgiving irons. But they are really terrific iron sets. I played some nice rounds with the CB3's. Got along ok with the stock KBS Tour 90 stiff shafts. They look good, feel really good, and have excellent turf interaction.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Adams Idea CB3 are great forged irons. I am gaming them 3years in...Pretty decent Forgiveness, and the feel is spectacular. Tour KBS90 tends to cause a higher ball flight and loss of distance. I am now looking to move on to SL and exploring Cobra F8 SL/Forged Tec SL. The CB3 will remain my backup set

I had to reshaft both as the KBS Tour90 hit moon balls and dint work at all for me.

Now have Steelfiber 110 in the CB3 and CTaper lite in the CB2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Still to this day, they are one of my favorite sets of irons. Look good, feel good, play good. They are plenty forgiving, they are fairly long and they feel great. One thing I noticed, they seem to be a touch longer in length than most sets.

I honestly could put them in the bag right now and be completely content.

#ForTheShoe

My backup set are the CB3 satin with Recoil Prototype 110s. They are slightly more forgiving than the 545s I game, but about 1/2 club shorter (which is probably due to loft differences- the 545s play off a 44° pw and 24° 5 iron, whereas the CB3 are 45° pw & 26° 5 iron). The distance does not concern me, as the CB3 are very consistent - I don’t find that I get the occasional jumper with them. I personally think the 545s feel better, the CB3s are a little firmer feeling. But, that’s just personal preference - they are both nice feeling irons for game improvement cavity backs. Though that difference in feel could also be due to the different shafts. The sole camber and turf interaction work great for me, as I tend to be a divot taker. As a single digit handicap, I could play a more compact iron, but I’ve found that the turf interaction from GI irons suits my swing a little better.

Honestly, I can interchange the CB3s and 545s with zero issues, and I’m not sure that I don’t like the CB3 a little better. It’s just that I have to change around my entire bag setup (because of the differences in distance between the two sets), and it would force me to swap out some of the favorite clubs in my bag to game them.

One complaint I have about them, and it’s a minor nit, is that they are a .370” bore hosel rather than .355”. I had to shim the shafts in them.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

My backup set are the CB3 satin with Recoil Prototype 110s. They are slightly more forgiving than the 545s I game, but about 1/2 club shorter (which is probably due to loft differences- the 545s play off a 44° pw and 24° 5 iron, whereas the CB3 are 45° pw & 26° 5 iron). The distance does not concern me, as the CB3 are very consistent - I don’t find that I get the occasional jumper with them. I personally think the 545s feel better, the CB3s are a little firmer feeling. But, that’s just personal preference - they are both nice feeling irons for game improvement cavity backs. Though that difference in feel could also be due to the different shafts. The sole camber and turf interaction work great for me, as I tend to be a divot taker. As a single digit handicap, I could play a more compact iron, but I’ve found that the turf interaction from GI irons suits my swing a little better.

Honestly, I can interchange the CB3s and 545s with zero issues, and I’m not sure that I don’t like the CB3 a little better. It’s just that I have to change around my entire bag setup (because of the differences in distance between the two sets), and it would force me to swap out some of the favorite clubs in my bag to game them.

One complaint I have about them, and it’s a minor nit, is that they are a .370” bore hosel rather than .355”. I had to shim the shafts in them.

For a second I thought you may have bought mine on eBay until I saw you put your own shafts in...I had Recoil 110 protos in my satin set

My backup set are the CB3 satin with Recoil Prototype 110s. They are slightly more forgiving than the 545s I game, but about 1/2 club shorter (which is probably due to loft differences- the 545s play off a 44° pw and 24° 5 iron, whereas the CB3 are 45° pw & 26° 5 iron). The distance does not concern me, as the CB3 are very consistent - I don't find that I get the occasional jumper with them. I personally think the 545s feel better, the CB3s are a little firmer feeling. But, that's just personal preference - they are both nice feeling irons for game improvement cavity backs. Though that difference in feel could also be due to the different shafts. The sole camber and turf interaction work great for me, as I tend to be a divot taker. As a single digit handicap, I could play a more compact iron, but I've found that the turf interaction from GI irons suits my swing a little better.

Honestly, I can interchange the CB3s and 545s with zero issues, and I'm not sure that I don't like the CB3 a little better. It's just that I have to change around my entire bag setup (because of the differences in distance between the two sets), and it would force me to swap out some of the favorite clubs in my bag to game them.

One complaint I have about them, and it's a minor nit, is that they are a .370" bore hosel rather than .355". I had to shim the shafts in them.

For a second I thought you may have bought mine on eBay until I saw you put your own shafts in...I had Recoil 110 protos in my satin set

No, I found them on Global Golf used (I think one or two clubs were hit a couple times). I don’t even want to tell what I paid. It was like robbery minus the gun.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Agree with all the positive comments here. I’ve got a satin set of CB3 heads I’ve been meaning to shaft. Great sticks, absolutely no reason I stopped gaming them other than just being a club ho...

Ping G 400 Max 9 degree w/ Proforce VTS Black 7s
Cobra F7 14.5 degree w/ Elements Chrome 7s
Cleveland Classic 18 degree hybrid w/ Fuji Fuel 95s
4-PW Srixon 585 and 785 AW w/ nippon modus 120,
Cleveland RTX4 54 and 58 w/ nippon modus 125 wedge shaft
Putter: Evnroll ER2 35'
Ball: TM TP5x or Pro V1x

I have tour satins...played with them today and in some ways like them better than the jpx900 HMs that replaced them. The cb3s were reshafted with a lighter graphite shaft after an injury.

My cb3s are getting beat up....If I had a new set of cb3 heads, I'd consider going through shaft fitting to see what works best (probably something a little heavier).

Turf interaction is very good.

Wonder what are the most comparable heads among new designs out there now?

• 1 year later...

Just a gravedig to say Jan 18, 2020 I just played a very wet and cold 9 holes with my CB3s. Still an awesome set of irons.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 5 months later...

The long irons in the CB3 are indeed very forgiving and easy to launch (and feel great too). I play the 4 and 5 CB3 irons as part of a combo set of Adams irons that I put together.

Edit: As someone mentioned earlier, the stock lengths for the long irons are on the long side, because Adams used a 5/8" progression in this set.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide