2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The New Master's Womens Amateur Championship

Great Announcement this morning from Augusta National and new chairman Fred S. Ridley.

Chairman Fred Ridley Announces Augusta National Women’s Amateur Championship

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Fred Ridley, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters Tournament, announced today the establishment of the Augusta National Women’s Amateur Championship, which will be held annually the week prior to the Masters and will culminate with the final round taking place at Augusta National.

“Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts left behind a legacy of always trying to contribute meaningfully to the game of golf,” Ridley said. “The Augusta National Women’s Amateur Championship embodies that principle, and we believe this event will have a significant and lasting impact on the future of the women’s game. Our hope and expectation is that this event will further energize those who already love the sport and inspire others through the dream of competing at Augusta National.”

The 54-hole, stroke play tournament will feature an international field of 72 players. Invitees will be determined by awarding winners of other recognized championships and using the Women’s World Amateur Golf Ranking.

In 2019, the first two rounds will take place at Champions Retreat Golf Club in Augusta. After a cut to the low 30 scores, the final competitive round will take place at Augusta National on Saturday, April 6, when an amateur champion will be crowned for the first time ever at the home of the Masters.

The event is expected to be televised and will be distributed on digital platforms around the world. Daily tickets onto the grounds of Augusta National for the final round will also be made available through a random selection process that will be announced at a later date.

The Augusta National Women’s Amateur Championship is now the latest effort announced by the Masters to inspire interest and participation in the game of golf, joining the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship, the Latin America Amateur Championship and Drive, Chip and Putt, all of which are actively supported by the Tournament.

_____

So, it seems that the new chairman has "wasted" very little time putting his own stamp on things with Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters.

Personally, I think this is a terrific initiative along a similar vein that is the "Drive, Chip & Putt" event that they host. By focusing the event on the amateur game, they can honour the traditions and values espoused by Bobby Jones Jr. and they can help grow the game worldwide over the years.

It will give something for amateur women to focus on in their pursuit of being the best players that they can be. I do think that this will be a significant step in helping to grow the game -- and yes, I do believe that it is important to grow the game.

The sport of golf has enough obstacles to it already in the form of costs to play (equipment costs, footwear & apparel, golf balls, green fees, coffee & snacks or lunch, etc.). If golf can introduce and more importantly retain many new golfers in the sport, then it can help alleviate the financial pressure that the game is under in some quarters, whether it be in the United States, the UK, Canada, Australia/NZ, Asia or in other parts of Europe and Africa.

So, well done ANGC!

Thoughts?

It`s great for the amateurs to play Augusta, I assume the LPGA players would like to play there as well..Ladies Masters anybody?

Yes, the obvious next question is when there will be a ladies professional event held at Augusta National. I'm sure they knew everyone would ask that, so I don't see why they haven't put the event together and announced it at the same time.

Wouldn't be surprised if an LPGA Masters event came to fruition soon. Hopefully that's the case

I think that this event pretty much kills the chance for that. This gives Augusta the opportunity to say they do host a women's event, it doesn't impact the membership or the course much and they dont have to close for a second tournament. It silences a major complaint they have been getting for years.

It amazes me how people think they know what's best for members of a private club and what they should do with their golf course. This works because it right around tournament time. If you host another even that is just more wear and tear and downtime for a course that isn't really open that much anyway. They are not obligated to do anything beyond what they want to do and from a business standpoint they would be diluting their product. The women have plenty of majors and we don't need any more Martha Burkes telling private organizations how to run themselves.

I think that this event pretty much kills the chance for that. This gives Augusta the opportunity to say they do host a women's event, it doesn't impact the membership or the course much and they dont have to close for a second tournament. It silences a major complaint they have been getting for years.

In one move Fred Ridley manages to forever get the critics off the back of ANGC for being hypocritical in wanting to "grow the game" while excluding an entire gender. And at the same time preserves the exclusivity and aura of the Master's as the premier professional event.

well-played_new.jpg

It amazes me how people think they know what's best for members of a private club and what they should do with their golf course. This works because it right around tournament time. If you host another even that is just more wear and tear and downtime for a course that isn't really open that much anyway. They are not obligated to do anything beyond what they want to do and from a business standpoint they would be diluting their product. The women have plenty of majors and we don't need any more Martha Burkes telling private organizations how to run themselves.

100% agree. I don't see how them hosting a final day of an event promoting women's golf or how it is growing the game in the States.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Nah but it makes the 90 year old billionaires feel warm inside. Why not all three rounds at ANGC?

I suspect that once this event gets itself established, then it will be held a AGNC for all three rounds.

At least in my lifetime, I doubt it.

This event is just another token gesture by ANGC.

And how many more women members has ANGC invited to join since 2012 with Rice and Moore?....yup...that's what I thought.

I wonder which young female Am will have Martha Burk caddie for her next year. :taunt:

Nah but it makes the 90 year old billionaires feel warm inside. Why not all three rounds at ANGC?

I suspect that once this event gets itself established, then it will be held a AGNC for all three rounds.

And how many more women members has ANGC invited to join since 2012 with Rice and Moore?....yup...that's what I thought.

I wonder which young female Am will have Martha Burk caddie for her next year. :taunt:

Why do you feel they owe you or anyone else anything?

I think the women's game can develop its own traditions, and doesn't need an Augusta National tournament. And as others have pointed it, what golf club members want more than one champioship on their course in a year?

Speaking of ANGC, i have heard you need to move the ball in the air both ways to succeed there. Well, that is my game exactly! I'd kill it.

You are right, ANGC does not owe us or anyone else jack. It is their club and tournament and they can do whatever they want. And had they continued to turn their noses up at women's golf, then we are good.

But when one had been singing the "grow the game" tune while excluding an entire gender , it just makes them a bunch of damn hypocrites.

(Of course I am referring to the period before this new tournament was announced )

You are right, ANGC does not owe us or anyone else jack. It is their club and tournament and they can do whatever they want. And had they continued to turn their noses up at women's golf, then we are good.

But when one had been singing the "grow the game" tune while excluding an entire gender , it just makes them a bunch of damn hypocrites.

(Of course I am referring to the period before this new tournament was announced )

Explain how this helps grow the game. In my opinion it does nothing to grow the game to American girl's. More than half the field will be foreigners with the eventual winner more than likely being foreign. American girl's don't relate.

The media exposure that something like this event will generate will be a good stimulus for growing the game. When young girls all over the world see this event on television or in a media stream they will start seeing the possibilities for themselves. Just look at the story of Aditi Ashok from India and how she started in the game and how her presence is helping to generate interest in a country that is mad for cricket and field hockey. More salient is how a young woman from South Korea made it to the LPGA in the 1990's and won the US Women's Open and the effect that it had in growing the game in her homeland.

Growing the game always starts at the grass roots and builds it way up. Golf got its start in America as a recreational activity for the more monied people. It was when players like Harry Vardon started making trips to play exhibitions in the United States that the game started to take root. It grew more with the win by Francis Ouimet as an amateur and a former caddie. It grew even more when players like Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen and Bobby Jones grew in prominence and with their sporting accomplishment.

The media exposure that something like this event will generate will be a good stimulus for growing the game. When young girls all over the world see this event on television or in a media stream they will start seeing the possibilities for themselves. Just look at the story of Aditi Ashok from India and how she started in the game and how her presence is helping to generate interest in a country that is mad for cricket and field hockey. More salient is how a young woman from South Korea made it to the LPGA in the 1990's and won the US Women's Open and the effect that it had in growing the game in her homeland.

Growing the game always starts at the grass roots and builds it way up. Golf got its start in America as a recreational activity for the more monied people. It was when players like Harry Vardon started making trips to play exhibitions in the United States that the game started to take root. It grew more with the win by Francis Ouimet as an amateur and a former caddie. It grew even more when players like Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen and Bobby Jones grew in prominence and with their sporting accomplishment.

Disagree with the entire statement. Most girl's, even those that play the game, do not watch women's golf on TV. They watch men. I have one that plays college golf and thinks that watching woman play is boring. Most young American girl's are not going to watch for several reasons. The biggest being they are not going to watch foreigners play. Not trying to be mean or nasty, it is just the way it is. I love women's golf. I just don't see how this is going to help promote the women's game. It isn't going to hurt, I don't see the big deal in playing a women's tournament at Augusta. Personally, I think it makes the Master's lose some of it's mystique.

Disagree with the entire statement. Most girl's, even those that play the game, do not watch women's golf on TV. They watch men. I have one that plays college golf and thinks that watching woman play is boring. Most young American girl's are not going to watch for several reasons. The biggest being they are not going to watch foreigners play. Not trying to be mean or nasty, it is just the way it is. I love women's golf. I just don't see how this is going to help promote the women's game. It isn't going to hurt, I don't see the big deal in playing a women's tournament at Augusta. Personally, I think it makes the Master's lose some of it's mystique.

That's fine. Agree to disagree. But, the key point here is it will help to grow the game all over the world and not just in the United States. I raised a daughter too and she could not care less about men's golf. She would have much preferred watching the LPGA and women play - but the amount of TV coverage just was not there when she was growing up like it is now. Had there been some good TV coverage then she undoubtedly would have watched more golf and perhaps have grown her interest in the game even more.

At least one that we know of - Ginni Rometty, CEO of IBM. There could well be others.

They weren't excluding anyone. Women can play there and women are members. The DC&P doesnt exclude females and yet is growing the game. They are a private club and don't even have to do that much unless it makes them happy. That's life, not hypocrisy.

I doubt many boys growing up saying "My dream is to become a member at Augusta National" , but rather "My dream is to play in The Masters"

DC&P is a good start. But meanwhile we can tells the boys, "Hopefully you can come back some day to play in The Masters" , but to the girls, should we tell them "Hopefully you can come back some day to caddie for the boys in the Par 3 Contest" ?

i posted this in the other thread.....

Happy to see it being an AM event.... it will help grow the game..and at the same time it weeds out all the 13 year old foreign ladies who turn pro .... Grow the ladies game here at home first...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

i posted this in the other thread.....

Happy to see it being an AM event.... it will help grow the game..and at the same time it weeds out all the 13 year old foreign ladies who turn pro .... Grow the ladies game here at home first...

It is just a misconception. The "foreign ladies" don't turn pro in their early teens, they just start beating the pros in their early teens.

Most of today's top Americans turn pro in their teen. Lexi, Cristie, Michelle, Jessica and Nelly, Lincicome.

Well except for that whole Drive, Chip & Putt thing which came from them as I understand it.

So only 30 players will qualify to play one round at Augusta on Saturday....so when will they have time to practice and figure out the course....there are a lot of nuances associated with Augusta...especially leading up to the conditions set up for the Masters one week later.

I assume most will want to employ a Masters caddie who understands the course...but what happens if the player doesn't like their caddie...some of these girls could be as young as 15 or 16. If they use a family member...they won't know anything about the course.

I assume they will play the member tees and the pins will be set in the easiest spots on the greens....but with minimal or no practice...this could get really ugly from a scoring perspective for the players and it will be televised.

And if indeed the 72 players are invited for a day to practice (cost will be a challenge for some of the poorer Am's) well prior, those conditions will be quite different vs. an Augusta course on the Saturday before the Masters is played.

So only 30 players will qualify to play one round at Augusta on Saturday....so when will they have time to practice and figure out the course....there are a lot of nuances associated with Augusta...especially leading up to the conditions set up for the Masters one week later.

I assume most will want to employ a Masters caddie who understands the course...but what happens if the player doesn't like their caddie...some of these girls could be as young as 15 or 16. If they use a family member...they won't know anything about the course.

I assume they will play the member tees and the pins will be set in the easiest spots on the greens....but with minimal or no practice...this could get really ugly from a scoring perspective for the players and it will be televised.

And if indeed the 72 players are invited for a day to practice (cost will be a challenge for some of the poorer Am's) well prior, those conditions will be quite different vs. an Augusta course on the Saturday before the Masters is played.

Augusta National should hire you as logistic manager for the event.

So, if you have thought of all of this, don't you really think that the powers that be have thought of all this, as well as things you haven't thought of? I think they've got this.