Going to Japan next week...

LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,990 ✭✭
I'll be in Umeda, Osaka next week. Anything special I should look for in the golf shops? Last time I was there I looked around the shops but prices were very expensive. Lots of Honma and XXIO stuff. Tried to hit balls at an indoor range but couldn't overcome the language barrier.

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,990 ✭✭
    Just a follow up. Found a nice golf shop near the subway line. Surprised to see such a nice little shop underground but that's cool. They had some fun clubs and putters and wedges. Tried on some clothes but they're not cut for an American with a gut. Wound up buying a Gloire hat for $9.00 and some weird magnetic tees.
  • Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,538 ✭✭
    It would be fun just to be able to actually see JDM equipment in large quantities right in front of you!
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    There are tons of shops in Osaka. Do go to the Mizuno store. Also, Honmachi station on the Midosuji subway line. There are three shops next to each other. Walking around you will also find all sorts of GOLF PARTNER stores. You never no what you'll find at one of those.
    D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    "not cut out for an American with a gut". lol
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,990 ✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

I'm not even that fat but the shirts did not flatter me.
  • sirukumasirukuma Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

Also not cut out for anyone with a shoe size larger than a US 11. Trust me.... Lived in Japan for multiple years, and finding golf shoes (or any shoes for that matter) to fit my size 14 feet was impossible.
  • golftechgolftech Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    I’m in Umeda, Osaka area in several weeks. I have limited time on a Sunday, so can’t go to many stores. Does anyone have suggestion where I should go to find best selection of JDM equipment (wedges, putters and maybe irons).
  • ezpzezpz Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    While the JDM clubs are interesting to look at I had more fun with the enormous amount of unique accesiories headcovers/towels etc. they sell in Japan. If I'd go again that's probably what I'll end up buying.
  • 3_Putt_Par3_Putt_Par Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. Members Posts: 879 ✭✭
    If you're in Osaka, then it's worth a trip to check out the Mizuno store near the Yodoyabashi station. Amazing to see exactly how much stuff they actually make, since all sports are represented there from running, baseball, etc. One whole floor of golf stuff including some cool clothes and shoes you won't see anywhere else. Don't know how long you're going to be there, but I'd ask to see if they can make a pair of golf shoes for you during your stay.

https://www.mizuno.jp/en/shop/flag/osaka-yodoyabashi/data.aspx

As for clubs, I suggest you google the Golf Partner stores in the area you can visit. I don't know if you are in the market for one, but used golf shafts are really cheap in Japan and not a huge pain to ship back home via the post office.
    9* Ping G400 Max w/ Tour AD GP 7
    14.5* PRGR EGG HD w/ P9003
    18* Titleist 917F2 w/ Diamana BF 80
    24* Honma TW-U w/ Vizard IB 105
    5-PW Callaway Legacy Black (2011) w/ Modus3 125
    52/08 OnOff 2015 Kuro Forged Wedge Black Finish
    56/12 Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth w/ Modus3 125
    60/08 Fourteen RM 21 w/ Modus 125 Wedge
    Ever rotating 3 Putting implement of humiliation
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,519 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 7:25am #11
    I could never find anything in the golf shops in Japan. Everything looked like it was all about style not function, meaning you would look like the coolest dude on the course but clubs played like crap.

With respect to clothes, the wife bought me both some Japanese and Korean shirts. Crazy because each shirt was like $150-200. I have no idea what the material is but super stretchy and terrible in hot weather. I thought they would be very breathable but just the opposite.
  • 3_Putt_Par3_Putt_Par Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. Members Posts: 879 ✭✭

Everything looked like it was all about style not function, meaning you would look like the coolest dude on the course but clubs played like crap.

You just summed up a large percentage of Japanese golfers in one sentence. Kudos!
  • golftechgolftech Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    I found a Victoria golf right near my hotel. A little further to Golf Partner and Mizuno, will have to see how easy it is to walk around there.
  • supadupachalupasupadupachalupa Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Yoshiya Golf in Kyoto is a must. Got a used but in good condition Scotty Cameron AOP Newport with headcover for 5,900 yen. That’s only ~$55!

Stopped by a Golf Partner in the Tokyo area and saw a used set of Mizuno MP-32 in 7.5/10 condition, 3-PW with NS Pro shafts and original Mizuno grips for 9,800 yen. That’s only ~$90!

Definitely stop by as many golf shops as possible as they all seem to have some hidden gems, just need to be able to sift thru them. Used clubs are often in excellent condition and woods come with upgraded shafts. Entire club can be had for way less than buying shaft only in the states. Unreal!
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!! Yokosuka, JapanMembers Posts: 1,118 ✭✭
    Golf 5 is another chain of golf stores throughout Japan. I am in Yokosuka and there is a Golf 5, Victoria Golf and Golf Partner stores all near me. I frequent Golf 5 the most as they have personnel that speak english.
    In My Bag
    PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g
    TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
    TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX
    TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X
    Vokey SM6 58*, 50*
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black/MTB-X
    #insideTMAG 2013
    Golf 5 is good to see what's available, but prices are on the higher side. Up side is that they have GC2 units for demoing clubs, which a lot of places in Japan don't.
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,203 ✭✭

Yoshiya Golf in Kyoto is a must. Got a used but in good condition Scotty Cameron AOP Newport with headcover for 5,900 yen. That's only ~$55!

Stopped by a Golf Partner in the Tokyo area and saw a used set of Mizuno MP-32 in 7.5/10 condition, 3-PW with NS Pro shafts and original Mizuno grips for 9,800 yen. That's only ~$90!

Definitely stop by as many golf shops as possible as they all seem to have some hidden gems, just need to be able to sift thru them. Used clubs are often in excellent condition and woods come with upgraded shafts. Entire club can be had for way less than buying shaft only in the states. Unreal!

Good point on the shafts. I've bought a random club just for the shaft once or twice. HOWEVER....often the drivers with the fancy shafts were bought by wealthy ojisan with more money than swing speed, which means pretty weak flexes. Not a hard and fast rule, just an observation.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,203 ✭✭
    3_Putt_Par wrote:

Golf 5 is good to see what's available, but prices are on the higher side. Up side is that they have GC2 units for demoing clubs, which a lot of places in Japan don't.

Just to add to that, the second hand prices at Golf 5 are also not very competitive.

Also, for NOS models (such as models that are being replaced by a newer version), Tsuruya normally has better discounts than Golf 5. Plus, if you have the language skills, Tsuruya will normally knock more of the tag price than anywhere else, in my experience. They are very keen to make a sale. The downside is that it's mostly US stuff rather than JDM, if JDM is what you're looking for.

A mate of mine has also got some pretty good discounts at the nearby Victoria Golf. I found VG best for clothes as they have more stuff in larger sizes. However, as Sirakuma said, you'll struggle to find large-sized shoes no matter where you go.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
    Japan in general doesn't have shoes larger than size 10 in stock. It's too bad, since there are some sweet golf shoes that you won't find anywhere else (Bridgestone, Asics, Mizuno).

Yoshiya Golf in Kyoto is a must. Got a used but in good condition Scotty Cameron AOP Newport with headcover for 5,900 yen. That's only ~$55!

Stopped by a Golf Partner in the Tokyo area and saw a used set of Mizuno MP-32 in 7.5/10 condition, 3-PW with NS Pro shafts and original Mizuno grips for 9,800 yen. That's only ~$90!

I see you have discovered my former honey hole in Kyoto. Lived there many years ago and bought a bunch of good stuff there. Detoured from my train and stopped off for a couple hours in Nov on my way from Kobe to Tokyo and picked up a couple items. A must stop if in the area and looking for good used stuff.
  • Christen_The_SloopChristen_The_Sloop Members Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    sirukuma wrote:

I see you have discovered my former honey hole in Kyoto. Lived there many years ago and bought a bunch of good stuff there. Detoured from my train and stopped off for a couple hours in Nov on my way from Kobe to Tokyo and picked up a couple items. A must stop if in the area and looking for good used stuff.

I've got to say, yoshiya golf is just too difficult to wade through... How many clubs can you fit in one space? It's bloody ridiculous.
    D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
    15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
    18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
    22 - Mizuno CLK Daimana Thump 90X
    3-PW - Mizuno TN87 Modus3 120S
    54 - KM Miura
    60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU

sirukuma wrote:

I've got to say, yoshiya golf is just too difficult to wade through... How many clubs can you fit in one space? It's bloody ridiculous.

Ha! Definitely some truth there - I've spent a good deal of time wading thru the bundles of clubs in the back left area of the shop near the hitting cage. Also spent a bunch of time digging thru the pulled shafts stacked along the wall next to the workshop.