Why haven't PGA Tour scores come down w/ tech

Comments

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

Because the golf courses are almost 1000 yards longer.

But according to some the players are hitting it 3000 yards farther!
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 1,953 ✭✭
    buckeyefl wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

Isn't that the truth. Ugh. Gone are the days when the real men could feather in a 5 iron from 153 to truly "make" a shot. Anybody can just go all out on a PW from that distance; it takes no talent at all. Rumor has it that a 19th century surgeon didn't even intend for DJ to hit an 8-iron 190, so why are we allowing it?
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • bervinbervin Members Posts: 801

buckeyefl wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

Isn't that the truth. Ugh. Gone are the days when the real men could feather in a 5 iron from 153 to truly "make" a shot. Anybody can just go all out on a PW from that distance; it takes no talent at all. Rumor has it that a 19th century surgeon didn't even intend for DJ to hit an 8-iron 190, so why are we allowing it?

I like your golf analysis Mr. Schaeffer, but you should really stick to what you know best. Selling BMWs!
    D: TaylorMade '17 M1 8* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 62g
    FW: TaylorMade M3 3HL 15.5* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g
    H: Ping Anser 20* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
    2i: TaylorMade M2 L.I.F.T. 16* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
    4i: TaylorMade '14 TP MC - DG X100 120
    5i - PW: TaylorMade ' 14 TP MB - DG X100 120
    GW: Callaway MD Forged Raw 52* - DG TI S400
    LW: Callaway MD PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V 120
    P: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,851 ✭✭

Because tech has been geared to "farther," and not "closer."

A majority of the best players play an iron with more or less the same tech than 30 years ago though image/huh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

Agreed. My thinking is that there has been much more devotion to drivers, fw's, etc. than to irons. Perhaps disproportionately so?
    Mizuno St-180 9.5
    Mizuno JPX 900 15
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-Gw
    (Wedges TBD)
    (Putter TBD)
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • SlanmanSlanman Members Posts: 159
    I think that’s because it’s easier to sell someone a new driver than it is to sell them an entire new set of irons. That’s why drivers and putters are changed so often. But on the flip side, IMO the driver is very important. A bad drive is going to put you in a much worse position than a bad iron shot.

And there’s so much you can do to advance driver tech. Irons seem a bit limited. 15-20 year old blades don’t seem much different than brand new blades
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 754 ✭✭
    ....because courses have evolved with the equipment.
  • Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,748 ✭✭
    People complain about it only being wedges into par 4s. But the greens are so firm now that holding a pitching wedge is like holding a 7 or 8 iron from years ago.
  • 15th Club15th Club Members Posts: 1,649 ✭✭

buckeyefl wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

And now, thanks to improved equipment and the genius of the PGA Tour, we now have all of these wonderful, new, improved, exciting, Tour-ready golf courses; the TPC of Avondale, the TPC Four Seasons in Las Colinas, the TPC of San Antonio, Liberty National, the Ritz Carlton at Dove Mountain... all of those courses, along with too many other "TPC" courses to name, dominating the lists of "The Worst Courses on the PGA Tour."
  • RDDRDD Charter Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

Exactly
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,617 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 13, 2018 #42
    The same reason that the average am’s cap hasn’t come down w/tech....

Cheers🍻

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,464 ✭✭
    Golf is the perfect unbeatable game.

Tech promotes distance and accuracy, correct?

Even as amateurs, we all know that a good score is not always the product of perfect distance and perfect accuracy.
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,617 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 13, 2018 #44
    Ferguson wrote:

Golf is the perfect unbeatable game.

Tech promotes distance and accuracy, correct?

Even as amateurs, we all know that a good score is not always the product of perfect distance and perfect accuracy.
    But, wait a sec Fergs....

You’re telling me that a guy who couldn’t consistently hit a 30* 6i, won’t now be all over that hole with a 30* 7i???

I don’t believe it😜

These caps are gonna drop like friggin rocks😝😝

Forget about using past performance to determine future outcomes, it’s gonna be different this time😂😂

Have a great weekend Bro🍻

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
    15th Club wrote:

buckeyefl wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

And now, thanks to improved equipment and the genius of the PGA Tour, we now have all of these wonderful, new, improved, exciting, Tour-ready golf courses; the TPC of Avondale, the TPC Four Seasons in Las Colinas, the TPC of San Antonio, Liberty National, the Ritz Carlton at Dove Mountain... all of those courses, along with too many other "TPC" courses to name, dominating the lists of "The Worst Courses on the PGA Tour."

And Cog Hill, Torrey Pines, and a few courses designed by . . . *gasp* . . . Jack Nicklaus himself! I'm positive that the state of modern technology severely shackled his vision - in 1987.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
    Cog

15th Club wrote:

buckeyefl wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

And Cog Hill, Torrey Pines, and a few courses designed by . . . *gasp* . . . Jack Nicklaus himself! I'm positive that the state of modern technology severely shackled his vision - in 1987.

Cog Hill was always an unremarkable post-classic golf course. It's a quasi-muni. Torrey Pines (which I have played quite often and personally enjoy) is a true muni. It has never been a favorite of golf architecture buffs. The grass there is like a science experiment. I also think that Torrey's rep suffers because they use the North course for two days of the Farmers.

Personally, I like Jack's design at Dove Mountain. I don't know if the tour players didn't like the setup for Match Play, or what. I don't know why they don't like it.

But we do know what the players consistently like; courses like Cypress Point, the Melbourne Sandbelt courses, Crystal Downs, Sand Hills, Royal County Down, Prairie Dunes, Riviera; NGLA; all courses that are or will be threatened by technology (or which are basically unusable for elite stroke play events).
    15th Club wrote:

Cog

Cog Hill was always an unremarkable post-classic golf course. It's a quasi-muni. Torrey Pines (which I have played quite often and personally enjoy) is a true muni. It has never been a favorite of golf architecture buffs. The grass there is like a science experiment. I also think that Torrey's rep suffers because they use the North course for two days of the Farmers.

Personally, I like Jack's design at Dove Mountain. I don't know if the tour players didn't like the setup for Match Play, or what. I don't know why they don't like it.

But we do know what the players consistently like; courses like Cypress Point, the Melbourne Sandbelt courses, Crystal Downs, Sand Hills, Royal County Down, Prairie Dunes, Riviera; NGLA; all courses that are or will be threatened by technology (or which are basically unusable for elite stroke play events).

None of them are unusable. Putts will always be more important than what club someone hits.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,208 ✭✭
    buckeyefl wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

At a cost , according to some people who may or may not be the head of the USGA, of TRILLIONS!!!!
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    Its like the tech helps Amateur golfers way more then Pros. Amateurs are playing on relatively the same courses as 20 years ago while the pros tech advantage has been easily off set by making courses tougher...

Have amateur scores decreased in the last 20 years?
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
    MtlJeff wrote:

buckeyefl wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

At a cost , according to some people who may or may not be the head of the USGA, of TRILLIONS!!!!

The elderly couple in front of me yesterday really held up our round. Probably because my course had to be lengthened to combat their assault on par.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • SlanmanSlanman Members Posts: 159
    Same reason free throw % hasn’t increased in the nba for like 50 years
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,304 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2018 #52
    15th Club wrote:

Cog

This was said of one of your bottom 10 which I am sure you will agree with [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"Shorten it for starters," [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]As[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]previously[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]mentioned...most of the [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]courses [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]you [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]feel are threatened by technology and long hitters are most importantly not "big" enough to hold elite stroke play events. Not too short. No room for tents and fans.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Edit-Cypress never held big time events. It was on the PGA tour until 1991 but was taken off the tour for another reason than course length. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Royal County Down has held more " men's elite events" since 2000 than it did before 2000. So unless than are somehow threatened by amateur womens prowess but not the mens'??[/background]

NGLA only event ever is the Walker Cup-in 2013.

Sand Hills was built in 1995, just on the outskirts of a town of 491 folks. Where would they put the spectators at night? In the basement?
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • vanillafunk616vanillafunk616 Members Posts: 551 ✭✭
    Lol... It seems like half of the old timers want to claim technology is ruining the game and the other half want to claim it makes no difference and it's all a scam.
    Slanman wrote:

Indeed. Maybe they should raise the hoop and move back the FT line to preserve the legacies of Hornacek and Mark Price. You know, reward the real shotmakers.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • TingtingTingting Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    Because at the end of it all it will still always be the Indian and not the arrow.

Slanman wrote:

Indeed. Maybe they should raise the hoop and move back the FT line to preserve the legacies of Hornacek and Mark Price. You know, reward the real shotmakers.

Oh you mean that basketball-playing athletes maybe aren't getting all that much better? It's just golfing "athletes"?

Or is it better said that unlike golf, in basketball there aren't equipment manufacturers with R&D budgets of many, many millions, all building better and better free-throw shooting machines for the players to use?
    15th Club wrote:

Slanman wrote:

Oh you mean that basketball-playing athletes maybe aren't getting all that much better? It's just golfing "athletes"?

25q817l.jpg

giphy.gif

bnmain.gif

image.gif

Nah, I think it's pretty much across the board.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
    My sincere apologies, but that Cousy dribbling expo that would get picked in any middle school game today makes me laugh every time through. Broke ya ankles!

Cousy was great in his era. Amazing, really. Nobody, however, deludes himself into thinking Ol' Bobby could run the point for the Spurs today; that would be plain stupid to suggest.

And, yet, we are expected to think that the legendary golfers of yesteryear could somehow be just as legendary today? I'm not buying it, and I'm pretty old.

Players back then were great, and should be celebrated. Players now are better.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    edited Apr 14, 2018 #59
    I don't think that the players now are better than the stars of yesteryear, there are just more of them now. It is impossible to compare different era's in golf.

The average over all scores. may be about the same as years ago, but you see many more 59s, 60, 61, 63 than ever before. Just about every tournament someone will post 63 or less.
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,523 ✭✭
    So, what have learned? That the courses are longer and that players have better equipment to hit it further? Anythong else than that? Do they hit a 150 yd approach shot better now?
    edited Apr 14, 2018 #61
    Hankshank wrote:

So, what have learned? That the courses are longer and that players have better equipment to hit it further? Anythong else than that? Do they hit a 150 yd approach shot better now?

No, just higher. Somebody needs to do something about it. Those poor designers didn't design those courses to be mocked by players hitting it further than they thought people could hit it back in 1930. Stop the madness already.
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two