18birdies App

Has anyone used the new 18birdies app? Advantages, Disadvantages? The weather here has not permitted me to play gold all year, but I was going to use the app when I went out on Friday. I will post my comments here.
Ping G LS Tec 9d w/ Graphite Design Tour AD S
Taylormade Rocketballz 3w w/ Graphite Design Tour AD s
TaylorMade RBZ TP 18.5* Stock
4-PW Srixon Z765 KBS C-Taper Lite Reg
50* 54* 58* Mizuno Mp-T5
Bettinardi Tiki

Comments

• damyers10damyers10 Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
    I prefer The Grint. I also have used Golf GameBook with buddies who live around the US, although now that The Grint offers the same features I am attempting to convert them to it. I tried 18Birdies, wouldn't say it's bad and maybe I am just used to The Grint but I prefer it to 18 Birdies.
  • JDW3JDW3 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    I use 18 birdies. I like it. It tracks the usual stats and you're able to set up games with friends. Plus it's free.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max
    3 wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 19* & 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Prov 1x
  • Jakob 91Jakob 91 Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I like it, but fiddling around with my phone on course is breaking my concentration. Thinking about getting a watch with basic distance info vs. app and range finder.

But if you’re ok with using a phone, the gps is really helpful for choosing clubs and determining safe lines to play. Very revealing and has helped me get into good position for the next shot.
    WITB 2019
    Woods
    Mizuno JPX 900 driver (9.5°)
    Mizuno JPX 900 3-wood (14°)
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 2i (16°)
    Nike Vapor Fly 3 Hybrid (20°)
    Irons
    Mizuno MP-15 (4-5)
    Mizuno MP-33 (6-PW)
    Mizuno S5 Wedges (56°/60°)
    Mizuno T-105 putter
    Ball
    Bridgestone B330 BXS/Snell MTB-X
    GPS/Scorekeeping
    Precision Pro NX7 Pro Slope
    The Grint/18 Birdies
  • larryd3larryd3 Members Posts: 581 ✭✭
    Jakob 91 wrote:

I like it, but fiddling around with my phone on course is breaking my concentration. Thinking about getting a watch with basic distance info vs. app and range finder.

But if you’re ok with using a phone, the gps is really helpful for choosing clubs and determining safe lines to play. Very revealing and has helped me get into good position for the next shot.

It works well on Apple Watch 3. Easy to track stats on the watch.
    TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    PXG 0311 5-gw
    54* SM6 M
    58* SM7 S
    PXG Operator H
  • jpdxjpdx Members Posts: 1,602 ✭✭
    Anyone have input on the betting/side games on 18birdies and if it incorporates differing handicaps for the games? or does it assume everyone is the same or close hdcp?

example: 3 players and in stableford, all three have gross pars, but player 1 has a net eagle player 2 has a net par and player three has a net double eagle. will the app assign a point value accordingly?
    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,521 ✭✭
    I just wish there was an app that JUST tracked my stats vs one that has a scorecard, gps, stats and the kitchen sink thrown in. Would make it a whole lot simpler because some of these apps are overly complicated.
  • lopey986lopey986 ClubWRX Posts: 2,217 ✭✭

I just wish there was an app that JUST tracked my stats vs one that has a scorecard, gps, stats and the kitchen sink thrown in. Would make it a whole lot simpler because some of these apps are overly complicated.

I use the grint for this. Use a regular scorecard while I play and keep track of score, putts, driving accuracy and hazards. Go to thegrint.com afterwards and enter it all in. I enjoy it a lot more than having a phone out throughout my round.
  • cmckelvmicmckelvmi ClubWRX Posts: 104 ClubWRX
    I use an app called SwingxSwing and it works very well. I compared distances with a Bushnell Pro X2 and the yardages were spot on. I particularly like the ability to see carry yardages and angles. It is somewhat of a pain to keep taking out my phone. I am looking into something I can attach to my push cart that will hold my phone.
  • MooJerseyMooJersey Members Posts: 443 ✭✭
    I've been using the 18 birdies app and like it a lot. Distances have been spot on. It also tracks your putts, fairways hit, GIR's, and a couple other stats I think. Sand saves / Up and Downs.

No complaints for a free app. You can pay for additional features and advanced stats, but the free features are pretty generous.

They must have just did an update that gives us shot tracker for free now....a little confused at the moment, but I'm sure I will be easy to figure out
    Cobra F8+ Driver - EvenFlow Blue
    TEE EX10 Beta 3W - HZRDUS Red
    Cobra F8 3H, 4H, 5H (stock Aldila Rogue)
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-PW, AMT Black
    Vokey SM7 50-12F
    Vokey SM7 56-14F
    Odyssey Works 2-Ball
  • jjepetojjepeto Members Posts: 23
    MooJersey wrote:

They must have just did an update that gives us shot tracker for free now....a little confused at the moment, but I'm sure I will be easy to figure out

It looks like they have a new(?) strokes gained feature where you can track each shot with location, lie, club used, etc. and instead of entering in the total strokes at the end of the hole you input info after every shot. I'm not sure if I want to input data after every single shot while on the course but I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I came here to see if there was any more info or talks about this feature but I don't see any discussion on it yet. Here's a link to a video explaining how it works on their site. Not sure if it's available for free version or not.
  • MooJerseyMooJersey Members Posts: 443 ✭✭
    jjepeto wrote:
    MooJersey wrote:

It looks like they have a new(?) strokes gained feature where you can track each shot with location, lie, club used, etc. and instead of entering in the total strokes at the end of the hole you input info after every shot. I'm not sure if I want to input data after every single shot while on the course but I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I came here to see if there was any more info or talks about this feature but I don't see any discussion on it yet. [url="https://help.18birdies.com/article/309-strokes-gained?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=APP-2018-07-06-Newsletter"]Here's a link to a video explaining how it works on their site[/url]. Not sure if it's available for free version or not.

I’ve used it for a couple rounds and I really don’t like the changes to their app. Really made it more cumbersome to use. They should have an option to turn the shot tracker on and off.

It used to be really quick to enter my scores, fir, gir, putts, sand shot, and chips

Now we have to cycle through like 3 screens and tap all over to get from GPS to the scores and stats

Cobra F8+ Driver - EvenFlow Blue
    TEE EX10 Beta 3W - HZRDUS Red
    Cobra F8 3H, 4H, 5H (stock Aldila Rogue)
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-PW, AMT Black
    Vokey SM7 50-12F
    Vokey SM7 56-14F
    Odyssey Works 2-Ball
  • jjepetojjepeto Members Posts: 23
    MooJersey wrote:

jjepeto wrote:
    MooJersey wrote:

It looks like they have a new(?) strokes gained feature where you can track each shot with location, lie, club used, etc. and instead of entering in the total strokes at the end of the hole you input info after every shot. I'm not sure if I want to input data after every single shot while on the course but I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I came here to see if there was any more info or talks about this feature but I don't see any discussion on it yet. Here's a link to a video explaining how it works on their site. Not sure if it's available for free version or not.

I’ve used it for a couple rounds and I really don’t like the changes to their app. Really made it more cumbersome to use. They should have an option to turn the shot tracker on and off.

It used to be really quick to enter my scores, fir, gir, putts, sand shot, and chips

Now we have to cycle through like 3 screens and tap all over to get from GPS to the scores and stats

I played around with it. You can turn off strokes gained before you start the round and it will operate the old way.