2018 Open de España

NaBUru38

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018032/index.html

Centro Nacional de Golf, Madrid, Spain.

Purse: € 1.5 million.

Notable players:

• Spanish: Jon Rahm, Rafael Cabrera Bello, Jorge Campillo, Pablo Larrazábal, Adrian Otaegui, Nacho Elvira, Pedro Oriol, Alejandro Cañizares, Carlos Pigem, Álvaro Quiros, Scott Fernández, Adriá Arnaus, Gonzalo Fernández-Castaño, Pep Angles Ros, Samuel del Val, Eduardo de la Riva, Ángel Hidalgo Portillo, Alejandro del Rey, Víctor Pastor Rufián.
  • Europeans: Paul Dunne, Eddie Pepperell, Matt Wallace, Thorbjorn Olesen, Victor Dubuisson, David Horsey, Alexander Bjork, Jordan L Smith, Andrew Johnston, Nicolas Colsaerts, Mike Lorenzo-Vera, Scott Jamieson, Richie Ramsay, Andy Sullivan, Soren Kjeldsen, Matthew Southgate, Renato Paratore, Jamie Donaldson, Paul Lawrie.
  • Africans: George Coetzee, Dean Burmester, Darren Fichardt, Richard Sterne, Erik van Rooyen, Brandon Stone, Thomas Aiken, Trevor Fisher Jr.
  • Aus / NZ: Ryan Fox, Jason Scrivener, Adam Bland, Andrew Dodt, Marcus Fraser, Nick Cullen, Brett Rumford, Jason Norris.
  • Asians: Yusaku Miyazato, Hideto Tanihara, Jeunghun Wang, Jinho Choi, Gavin Green, Daisuke Kataoka, Phachara Khongwatmai, Thongchai Jaidee, Wu Ashun, Soomin Lee.
  • Other notable players: Fabrizio Zanotti, Estanislao Goya, Felipe Aguilar, Nicolás Geyger, Seungsu Han, David Lipsky, Austin Connelly, Chase Koepka, Sihwan Kim.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nasty weather and a lot of unsightly construction work in the background.

Paul Dunne looking good, just come off back-to-back top 10s on the PGA Tour.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Plenty off histrionics from Rahm in the afternoon coverage. I expect him to be in the mix on Sunday but he's close to losing it at the moment.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

A real cringeworthy moment from Rahm on 12. The crowd cheer in support after he hits a shot that goes through the green and into the water, Rahm then proceed to shush the fans. He ends up making a double and you can see he's about to explode.

Curious to see how he handles the heat in the RC.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Yes Rahm acting like a child again but we should be used to it. Nothing like a few F bombs being dropped on Friday the 13th.

On a positive note not sure how often this happens in pro golf but Henni Goya the on course commentator is the wife of a pro competing in the tournament, he's just outside the cut line at the moment with 12 holes to play.

The course looks dreadful. I assume it is new and still developing, something along the lines of Le Golf National in France and has been chosen for this tournament for that reason. If not then I don't understand why they are not using one of the hundreds of superb championship course elsewhere in the country.

Jon Rahm who has played along side of Beef Johnson for the last two days could do with taking a leaf out of his book. The crowds are there to cheer on a new national golfing hero but his demeanour must make it hard for them as he snarls his way around the course. Meanwhile they are constantly chanting Beef and he is smiling away, waving and responding in kind.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

The tour is making a tentative return to Europe as spring approaches. I say tentative as they still have China and Morocco to play, which is just as well as the weather here is/has been atrocious.

It has been raining quite heavily in Spain which is unusual as it has been fairly persistent.

Here in the UK it is wet, which isn't that unusual, but I was told today that this winter has been the wettest since 1910. It will be interesting to see how this impacts on the not to far away tournaments in Northern Europe if the weather refuses to co-operate.

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Young Dunne at the lead. Being old enough, still having problems sayin Russia instead of Sovjet and sometimes amusing my offspring by saying West Germany (or rather, Västtyskland) i cannot, sadly, think about Ireland without thinking about ”the troubles”. Having been in London during bomb activities back in the days. One was pretty close. Not that In any sense ”side” with any side, but It feels like McIlroy, Clarke, Harrington and McDowell was immune to all that due to their Golf. But I guess they have some kind of relation to that protestant and.catholic thing. I think of Ireland as pretty rugged. Crazy nice people, had alot to do with Irish colleagues in the glory days of computer multinational companies, Dublin is a Crazy cosy town to visit. For some reason, Dunne is the one that brings this feelings to me.He has something of that ruggedness about him.

Young Dunne at the lead. Being old enough, still having problems sayin Russia instead of Sovjet and sometimes amusing my offspring by saying West Germany (or rather, Västtyskland) i cannot, sadly, think about Ireland without thinking about ”the troubles”. Having been in London during bomb activities back in the days. One was pretty close. Not that In any sense ”side” with any side, but It feels like McIlroy, Clarke, Harrington and McDowell was immune to all that due to their Golf. But I guess they have some kind of relation to that protestant and.catholic thing. I think of Ireland as pretty rugged. Crazy nice people, had alot to do with Irish colleagues in the glory days of computer multinational companies, Dublin is a Crazy cosy town to visit. For some reason, Dunne is the one that brings this feelings to me.He has something of that ruggedness about him.

The Northern Irish golfers have done well to keep out of it for the most part and you would struggle to know their backgrounds unless you went looking for it. Clarke and McDowell would have a Protestant background and McIlroy would have a Catholic one. The fact all 3 of them get on like a house on fire is telling.

Their families have certainly been effected however, this being an example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008249/PSNI-reinvestigating-murder-Rory-McIlroys-great-uncle-Joe-gang-UVF-killers.html

The course looks dreadful. I assume it is new and still developing, something along the lines of Le Golf National in France and has been chosen for this tournament for that reason. If not then I don't understand why they are not using one of the hundreds of superb championship course elsewhere in the country.

Jon Rahm who has played along side of Beef Johnson for the last two days could do with taking a leaf out of his book. The crowds are there to cheer on a new national golfing hero but his demeanour must make it hard for them as he snarls his way around the course. Meanwhile they are constantly chanting Beef and he is smiling away, waving and responding in kind.

Despite being as whiny and bratty as Rahm is on the course he couldn’t be more humble and charming during interviews. I think he’ll tame the on course behavior as he matures.

Sergio not playing in his National Open?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Despite being as whiny and bratty as Rahm is on the course he couldn't be more humble and charming during interviews. I think he'll tame the on course behavior as he matures.

I was actually going to add that to the post. I only caught a smattering of it but he seemed very amiable, in fact I got the impression that Andrew Coulthard couldn't shut him up. I left it out because I didn't see all of it.

Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Despite being as whiny and bratty as Rahm is on the course he couldn't be more humble and charming during interviews. I think he'll tame the on course behavior as he matures.

I was actually going to add that to the post. I only caught a smattering of it but he seemed very amiable, in fact I got the impression that Andrew Coulthard couldn't shut him up. I left it out because I didn't see all of it.

Wasn’t trying to stick it to ya there. I couldn’t have agreed more with your post, but I’ve noticed he’s a very charming interview. The wife even perked up from her instagramming during his masters interview. Must have been the accent :)

It’s sort of odd that the natural sense of humility he exudes in interviews doesn’t creep up when he’s throwing his tantrums on the course. Seems like he would be a little more self aware.

Hoping that Dunne can pull off the win tomorrow.

Very solid player, the new GMac.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Sergio not playing in his National Open?

Surely the fact that he and his wife had their first child only a few weeks ago answers the question.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Hoping that Dunne can pull off the win tomorrow.

Very solid player, the new GMac.

I understand why you have said GMac but based on my observations (and the stats I've looked at) he's more like Luke Donald. Amazing short game especially putting and crooked of the tee albeit not quite as short as Donald.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Rahm, with tourney well in hand goes flag hunting on a sucker pin on 17. He may have found the water. Not sure.

edit: he got lucky

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Yeah this course does not look amazing. No Valderrama anyway.

Wasn't trying to stick it to ya there. I couldn't have agreed more with your post, but I've noticed he's a very charming interview. The wife even perked up from her instagramming during his masters interview. Must have been the accent :)

It's sort of odd that the natural sense of humility he exudes in interviews doesn't creep up when he's throwing his tantrums on the course. Seems like he would be a little more self aware.

I can confirm that Rahm is quite charismatic in person. There is something likeable about him.

He has too many stupid tantrums, but he is only 23 (more than old enough, but still time to mature). Think that might be easier to remember if he looked like Matthew Fitzpatrick, rather than a 30-year-old rugby player.

Rahm with his 5th win in his 45th event since turning pro. 1/9 Is a nice win ratio to kick off your career with.

He was the best player in the field and he won. Not always the easiest thing to do. Like him or not he's a h*ll of a talent.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX