2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New NYC Area Golf Membership

tculligan26

Hey folks,

I'm posting here about a new NYC area golf membership called The Rota Club.

The Rota Club is an interclub golf membership in the NYC region that allows its members access to private golf clubs and country clubs, but without the big membership fees. We currently have 8 partner golf clubs are in New Jersey, Long Island, and Westchester County, and are adding more by the end of the month.

Like a lot of you, I've experienced the worst of public golf around the city. 5-6 hour rounds, mediocre conditions, and the hassle of booking a tee time before they're all gone. The private clubs around the city have high initiation fees and require a long-term commitment. Once you join Rota, you have access to all of our clubs and pay as you go for tee times.

We currently are accepting members, and have a new member promotion that saves you over 50% of the full price to join The Rota Club. I'm happy to answer any questions here or you shoot us an email to [email protected]and we'll get in touch with you.

Cheers,

Tim

P.S. You can check out our website here: https://www.therotaclub.com/

Just curious, which courses do you guys currently have relationships with/planning to add?

From the FAQ's, looks like he can't say,.

https://www.therotaclub.com/faqs

I am curious but we're not able to bring guests so it's not much fun if you can't enjoy it with your buddies that don't want to join. Maybe in a few years i'll join.

Just curious, which courses do you guys currently have relationships with/planning to add?

From the FAQ's, looks like he can't say,.

https://www.therotaclub.com/faqs

I am curious but we're not able to bring guests so it's not much fun if you can't enjoy it with your buddies that don't want to join. Maybe in a few years i'll join.

Hey Mike, send us an email to [email protected]. We do offer referral credit for any friends that join with you. We are also offering a a pretty hefty discount to the website's price right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone on here join this? Would love to hear how experience has been generally speaking without getting too specific.

How easy is it to get weekend tee times, how are courses, what are typical greens fees, etc.

I'm a little sick of playing 6 hour rounds at public tracks around the city.....

Back to my old X2Hot 9*
TM M3 15*
Steelhead XR 3h 19*
i25s 4-UW
Ping Glide 54* / Cleveland 60*
O-Works 1W
ProV1

This is a good idea in theory, however you are an unaccompanied guest at these private clubs. You will be given what ever tee time is available that will not interfere with member tee times, not something that you request. In addition, you will also be paying high end public prices on top of the initiation ($100+/round).

If you were looking to sample a few clubs for a year before deciding on one, this seems like the way to go. Otherwise, I don't understand why you wouldn't sign up for box groove, Tour GCX, or join eligo? All of which are either cheaper and have larger networks.

This is a good idea in theory, however you are an unaccompanied guest at these private clubs. You will be given what ever tee time is available that will not interfere with member tee times, not something that you request. In addition, you will also be paying high end public prices on top of the initiation ($100+/round).

If you were looking to sample a few clubs for a year before deciding on one, this seems like the way to go. Otherwise, I don't understand why you wouldn't sign up for box groove, Tour GCX, or join eligo? All of which are either cheaper and have larger networks.

there is nothing cheap about eligo. it's like $13k a year. however, you get nearly unlimited golf and a fantastic course roster. you aren't getting saturday 8:30 am's w/ them either however.

signing up for boxgroove is a no brainer, until you try to utilize the platform (have you?). you put in your request, and then wait, because boxgroove's tee matching service is a 1-2 man operation that's not local and they are calling and pushing on your behalf to track down head pros / gm's / golf directors to get them to accept your tee time. it's not instant.

tour gcx i've heard mixed things about and is also in a different price stratosphere, plus they make you buy a 4 some for the year, from what i gather. in terms of mixed things, their course list has dwindled in recent years due to issues host courses had with the arrangement.

what would separate something like rotaclub from eligo is if you used it for even 40 rounds in a year, it'd be around half the price.

what would separate them from boxgroove is that because it's locally based & a smaller network, your requests don't hang in limbo.

i have 0 financial stake in rota club, just interested in setting the facts straight and helping people have "better" golf experiences.

there is nothing cheap about eligo. it's like $13k a year. however, you get nearly unlimited golf and a fantastic course roster. you aren't getting saturday 8:30 am's w/ them either however.

signing up for boxgroove is a no brainer, until you try to utilize the platform (have you?). you put in your request, and then wait, because boxgroove's tee matching service is a 1-2 man operation that's not local and they are calling and pushing on your behalf to track down head pros / gm's / golf directors to get them to accept your tee time. it's not instant.

tour gcx i've heard mixed things about and is also in a different price stratosphere, plus they make you buy a 4 some for the year, from what i gather. in terms of mixed things, their course list has dwindled in recent years due to issues host courses had with the arrangement.

what would separate something like rotaclub from eligo is if you used it for even 40 rounds in a year, it'd be around half the price.

what would separate them from boxgroove is that because it's locally based & a smaller network, your requests don't hang in limbo.

i have 0 financial stake in rota club, just interested in setting the facts straight and helping people have "better" golf experiences.

I worked at a country club right outside of Manhattan last season, we utilized all 4 services, Eligo, Tour GCX, Boxgroove, and Rota. Boxgroove and Tour GCX are the same thing as Rota club, just cheaper and have a larger network. Eligo has the biggest network of courses and was the most respected out of these services.

Now Rota Club, the guy who was "president" of the organization, was a 30 something New Yorker with the typical NYC elite attitude. They thought they owned the place when they arrived, although we made it clear that they were unaccompanied guests. We discontinued accepting their tee times (which were completely at our discretion, and they ended up mostly with 2:30-3:30 time slots) due to the amount of disrespect they showed our members. Plus on top of that $1000 initiation, they were still paying $150 in green/cart fees per person when they arrived.

We also had no problem with them advertising we were part of their network. The only reason they don't advertise the clubs they associate with is because they have like a 3 course network. I felt bad for the people who actually joined honestly.

I worked at a country club right outside of Manhattan last season, we utilized all 4 services, Eligo, Tour GCX, Boxgroove, and Rota. Boxgroove and Tour GCX are the same thing as Rota club, just cheaper and have a larger network. Eligo has the biggest network of courses and was the most respected out of these services.

Now Rota Club, the guy who was "president" of the organization, was a 30 something New Yorker with the typical NYC elite attitude. They thought they owned the place when they arrived, although we made it clear that they were unaccompanied guests. We discontinued accepting their tee times (which were completely at our discretion, and they ended up mostly with 2:30-3:30 time slots) due to the amount of disrespect they showed our members. Plus on top of that $1000 initiation, they were still paying $150 in green/cart fees per person when they arrived.

We also had no problem with them advertising we were part of their network. The only reason they don't advertise the clubs they associate with is because they have like a 3 course network. I felt bad for the people who actually joined honestly.

based on this description, you worked at forest hill fc last year as its the only club within 50 miles of NYC taht was a part of all 4 associations. if tour gcx is cheaper than rota, that's news to me. boxgroove is free, or 50 a year for a premium membership that gets you nothing. i know the founder/prez of rota, he's a nice guy IMO, and his 20s not his 30s. though everyone's entitled to their own opinion. they also have closer to 12 clubs in network than 3.

the # of tracks on boxgroove in NYC area isn't that large, and again there's no guarantee that their non-local pga pro gets you the TT you request.

dont get me wrong every time boxgroove got me out somewhere, the experience was awesome. it's more that their success rate and the lag time can be underwhelming.

again, utilizing boxgroove's a no brainer. tour gcx isn't what it was and ive been told proceed with caution. if you can afford eligo, also a no brainer, but if you can afford eligo you can afford a private club.

we have diff viewpoints however so no need to banter on further.

Well of course i am going to reply! Just because you are friends with this guy, or paid him $1000 to join his "club" doesn't mean that people with critical opinions should keep quiet because you won't agree with them.

Let me make my case as a person who has played golf for 25+ years, public and private, rather than the guy who has dealt with all 4 services.

When I go to a golf course, I have certain expectations depending on where I may be going. If I am going to play at Ridgewood, I expect for the valet to be waiting at the entrance,the course to be immaculate, the food to be top notch, pace of play to be whatever I feel like, and pretty much every aspect to be perfect. I also expect to spend a boat load of money for the privilege to get such great service, somewhere to the tune of 100,000 per year.

Now if i kept driving past BCC and arrived at Orchard Hills, I would expect nothing of the sort. Rather than paying 100,000 for the year, i'm gonna pay 30$ for 18 holes of the same 9 twice. I expect that the vending machine is the only food on property, I expect to wait on every hole, and I expect to see some ball marks and unfilled divots.

But the thing is, I am happy at both courses because my expectations are being met in both cases. I don't feel ripped off at Orchard Hills because they don't advertise that they are a world class golfing facility, the same way Ridgewood doesn't advertise affordability. So I am not disappointed because I got what I paid for, and both institutions were transparent from the start about it.

This is where my issue with Rota is. They advertise like you will have full run of a network of private clubs, which they dont even tell you the exact clubs until you pay them(first flag). When in reality, you might be able to get a tee time in the late afternoon at a handful of clubs once in a blue moon.

You also pay $1000 to this guy, for essentially a promise. That $1000 doesn't go to maintaining a golf course, or paying an employee, or even to the network of golf courses it touts. It goes in his pocket. Yet my expectation is that I now have the same privileges as all the people who pay bucu bucks to be members of these clubs, which is most certainly not the case.

So when I call up rota for a tee time on a saturday morning, and I am left with a 4:00 pm tee time, at whatever club will take me that day, and I have to pay the club an unaccompanied guest fee, and still have the chance that if I am dressed the wrong way, or change my shoes in the parking lot, or break one of their rules that I do not know about, the club can tell me to leave, I would not be happy. Especially considering if I go on golf now, I can choose from a variety of courses, a variety of times, and I can pick and choose what fits my budget, with no initiation fee. And on top of that, the public course is happy to have me, rather than trying to be fit in at the end of the day at a private club.

In summary, although the guy who runs Rota seems like a nice enough guy, it doesn't change the fact that you are getting ripped off. Golf Now provides a more transparent, easier to use, and essentially free service, that will meet or exceed my expectations (patriot hills, mansion ridge come to mind for NYC) rather than Rota, charging me $1000 initiation, for a less reliable, smaller network, that will generally disappoint me from a value standpoint.

Why pay $1000 to get onto courses that boxgroove can get you on to? What does that $1000 get me besides a smooth talking new yorker? Why can't Rota tell me the network of courses before I pay you? Why can't Rota return the phone call of the guy earlier in the thread?

But like you said, we have differing view points so, no need for you to respond. -___-

• Like 1

Interesting--I noticed it mentioned Engineers. I thought that club was going to close?

Engineers was bought by development co. They're not planning on closing it.

www.newsday.com/business/golf-real-estate-long-island-1.20237409

engineers will close if RXR gets it rezoned. if not, they will try & sell it to the local municipality to make a village club like lake success, lawrence or sands point.

There are so many of these services now, hard to know which one is a rip off and which one is a good value. Another one to add to the mix is Soho Golf Club. I believe initiation is $3k and then they have access to about 20 area clubs and you pay the regular guest fee, plus access to a "clubhouse" in NYC at one of the simulator places like 5 iron golf.